closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Everybody said I was mad to buy this old Toyota ........

Everybody said I was mad to buy this old Toyota ........

.............. even the Gay Dog was a tad apprehensive :shock:

It's got over 183,000 miles on the clock, the wheels are stained badly, one of the doors has a scratch thats 18 inches long and down to the metal, the front tyre's need replaced, it's thirstier than Alexaff on a night out, it's uglier than Granitequarry on a good day, and the stereo's goosed so why did I buy the blooming thing ?

because it goes like a tank in all weather :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8)

It really is brilliant, it goes anywhere and in the recent weather it did not miss a beat even through the fields :shock: I have to say that my vintage Landrover bug may be over now :shock:

Mind you, now I've posted this it will probably go BANG !
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Re: Everybody said I was mad to buy this old Toyota ........

It looks mighty clean for 183,000 miles, exactly which model is it?

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    It looks mighty clean for 183,000 miles, exactly which model is it?

Eddie
    Its a Toyota 3.0TD Landcruiser Colorado.

It is in suprisingly good condition, the underneath is solid but will benefit from a rub down and Waxoyl later this year :) The body has no rust except where it was scratched and a bit of spit and polish to remove the brake dust will help the wheels. The mileage was mainly built up on the motorway.
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Yet again I innocently open a thread and end up wanting to spend money I don't have! :roll: Nice motor! :)
    F.T.F.A.

"Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Quote Originally Posted by magirus
    Yet again I innocently open a thread and end up wanting to spend money I don't have! :roll: Nice motor! :)
    Thanks mate :wink: , I will trade for a nice watch if you really want it when I decide to let it go :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Cheers

Simon

If you want to keep moving Japanese is the only way to go. Love to see old warhorses like that being used properly. 8)

Not sure I'd fancy doing all those motorway miles in one - the previous owner must have been nuts!

Quote Originally Posted by sundial
    Had not seen that, thanks Dunk :wink:

This one is a manual and does not have the leather interior which is one of the reasons I went for it as I really dislike leather seats
    Cheers

Simon

183K???

Pah, hardly run in! :D

One of the very best cars I ever had - and would still have if SWMBO would have driven it :roll: - and it's now serving it's new owner well in the middle east:

Enjoy it Simon and yes, I doubt you will ever hold LR's in affection again when it comes to reliability and talking of the middle east, Toyota pickups and LandCruisers are THE cars out there for that very reason.

R

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy

Ohhhhhhhhhh Ralphy, the big un 8) 8) 8) very nice indeed, would have loved one but they never seem to come up around here but I'm more than happy with my reduced version :D
    Cheers

Simon

Journeyman
    Africa/Wales. British by birth, Yorkshireman by the Grace of God

The only 4x4 i would buy if i ever could justify owning one, driven armoured and non armoured models throughout the Middle East and Africa, currently manage a fleet of 8 non armoured here in Libya, they are bullet proof though relatively cheap to repair if they go wrong at all and in harsh conditions are more reliable than Range Rovers and any of the Yank stuff, yours has just about bedded itself in believe me. Some of the miles clocked up on local stuff is galactical in comparison.

The best 4x4 on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy

Nice pic in front of the art deco gem on Burgh Island unless I am much mistaken :wink:
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Well done Si, looks like a good 'un. 8)
    I, on the other hand, have a happy knack of buying overpriced German shite..... :evil:

Perhaps you're my lucky / unlucky car twin. :mrgreen:

Looks like you made a good choice getting the manual; all that getting radiator fluid in th auto gearbox. Never heard of a gearbox sharing cooling fluid......
    I agree with Japanese being best, my 1984 paj is a 2.8, 126k, but I never get stuck in any depth of snow, or whatever. Sadly, I only get 29-30 at best, so bit of a trade off there.
    When you get a chance, give us an idea of your mpg, as i quite like the idea of one next..

Is it selectable 4 wheel drive, with seperate diff lock?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum
    If you want to keep moving Japanese is the only way to go. Love to see old warhorses like that being used properly. 8)

Not sure I'd fancy doing all those motorway miles in one - the previous owner must have been nuts!
    Nah, takes a lot to stop this ol' girl...and quite a lot of toys too...some of theme even work :wink:

Crazy fool :lol:

well done Simon,now you´re ready for Camel trophy! :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by darrenw

Nah, takes a lot to stop this ol' girl...and quite a lot of toys too...some of theme even work :wink:

That's very nice; I never realised that Metro Cabs came in a 4wd. Can you use it in bus lanes? :mrgreen:
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Not my sort of car mate but if you're happy with it, then I'm happy for you 8)

What's the horsepower on that thing?

Quote Originally Posted by anokdale
    The only 4x4 i would buy if i ever could justify owning one, driven armoured and non armoured models throughout the Middle East and Africa, currently manage a fleet of 8 non armoured here in Libya, they are bullet proof though relatively cheap to repair if they go wrong at all and in harsh conditions are more reliable than Range Rovers and any of the Yank stuff, yours has just about bedded itself in believe me. Some of the miles clocked up on local stuff is galactical in comparison.
    I'm out in the UAE and they are the best selling thing on wheels here. You still see 20 year old ones cruising around looking in great condition and the residual values on even 300k km models is fantastic. We got the new midsize version and its been as good as we expected. Hope yours continues to give you many many more miles of trouble free driving.

Quote Originally Posted by sestrel
    Looks like you made a good choice getting the manual; all that getting radiator fluid in th auto gearbox. Never heard of a gearbox sharing cooling fluid......
    I agree with Japanese being best, my 1984 paj is a 2.8, 126k, but I never get stuck in any depth of snow, or whatever. Sadly, I only get 29-30 at best, so bit of a trade off there.
    When you get a chance, give us an idea of your mpg, as i quite like the idea of one next..

Is it selectable 4 wheel drive, with seperate diff lock?
    If the automatics are the same as my old Pajero then the oil passes through a part of the radiator for cooling and the problem arises when the radiator degrades and a hole forms that allows the water to pass into the oil circuit.

The mpg is a bit worse than my old 2.5TD Pajero which would only give around 25 on a good day, I reckon with just town driving and not trying to save fuel its only returning around 20mpg :shock: but I bet on longer journeys it would be much better.
    Cheers

Simon

Out of interest, how much would you have to pay for something like this?

Blog Entries

Simon,

Welcome to Landcruiser ownership :) 8)

You may have found these clubs/forums already, they really do provide a wealth of info and support, not to mention quite a few organised events etc.

http://www.landcruiserclub.net

http://www.tlocuk.co.uk

http://forum.ih8mud.com

http://www.pradopoint.com

http://www.lcool.org

Loads more .......