closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: From a German Seiko e-ink buyer

Banned
    Blog Entries

From a German Seiko e-ink buyer

who signed up on SCWF to share his enthusiasm; an amazing macro video of the píxels:

http://www.thewatchsite.com/index.php/t ... l#msg73475

Journeyman

Re: From a German Seiko e-ink buyer

Great link, thanks! Those macro shots are amazing to me. Cheers, and Happy New Year!

:D Now I see the point of those, what a totally amazing display, just a shame they cost so much.

Sorry but isn't this the same as the old liquid crystal displays? Yes, improved and with a new technology. Yet..... :?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by angeche
    Sorry but isn't this the same as the old liquid crystal displays? Yes, improved and with a new technology. Yet..... :?
    .... it is either the same old or new improved Jose :wink:

There is little difference between Thin Film Transistor Liquid Crystal Display and Thin Film Transistor ElectroPhoretic Display.

The crucial difference is the upper film which is also what you séé.
    The difference is legibility is stunning.

As to digital displays I fail to see why today those are almost absent above the bottom end of the market. The better display quality of the EPD technlogy might see a renaissance. The analogue hands are after all far, far more of the same old thing.

Watches like the GP Casquette and even more so the Ventura Sigma would be improved considerably with an EPD behind AR sapphire.

Considering price Dutchgray, it is not the hands nor the basic ETA inside of an analogue quartz Omega Seamaster that make it a bít more expensive than an analogue quartz plastic Swatch :idea:
    You could say those are the same thing and ask why the Seamaster isn´t a fraction of its price too :wink:

I honestly don't get it.... How much are these?

With smartphones and their hi-res colour screens, I can't see the fuss over these watches. Am I missing the point?

Master

Much as I like Seiko, this sort of tech. should be cheap, a Nano is about £129 and play music 8)

Video looked good, but could not tell the time on the screen :P

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE

With smartphones and their hi-res colour screens, I can't see the fuss over these watches. Am I missing the point?
    Wel, since you ask, I suppose you miss twó points :wink:

Point 1. is that the price of a watch is heavily depending on the quality of the hardware (besides brand image)
    Point 2. is that hi-res colour screens of smart phones are not all that legible ánd drain even BF batteries in days

EDP is not only fár better legible, it also is about 100 times more economical with power than lcd

The image thing btw has undoubtedly had a considerable downward pressure on this Brightz hardware Seiko.
    Look at the model numbers: SDGA00x versus SAGA00x. D for digital and A for analogue.
    The avant garde D gives you a 300$ discount on the hardware :mrgreen:

Blog Entries

Honestly, I don't get it. What's the fuss? A watch with e-ink display? Yeehaw.... :?
    If I want e-ink I'll buy a Kindle.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla

Wel, since you ask, I suppose you miss twó points :wink:

Point 1. is that the price of a watch is heavily depending on the quality of the hardware (besides brand image)
    Point 2. is that hi-res colour screens of smart phones are not all that legible ánd drain even BF batteries in days

EDP is not only fár better legible, it also is about 100 times more economical with power than lcd

The image thing btw has undoubtedly had a considerable downward pressure on this Brightz hardware Seiko.
    Look at the model numbers: SDGA00x versus SAGA00x. D for digital and A for analogue.
    The avant garde D gives you a 300$ discount on the hardware :mrgreen:
    Thanks for the explanation! Very fair point about battery life. My iPhone gets charged once a day at least and is a battery monster.

I'll google those model numbers. Ta.

Craftsman
    Glasgow, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bricktop
    Honestly, I don't get it. What's the fuss? A watch with e-ink display? Yeehaw.... :?

I'd like to see one of those strapped to a wrist. 8)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GuyIncognito

Why would I want to strap something with an e-ink DISPLAY to my wrist. To me anything without hands isn't a watch. ;)

Considering price Dutchgray, it is not the hands nor the basic ETA inside of an analogue quartz Omega Seamaster that make it a bít more expensive than an analogue quartz plastic Swatch :idea:
    You could say those are the same thing and ask why the Seamaster isn´t a fraction of its price too :wink:
    The thing is a Seamaster costs way to much for me at the moment also :lol: I think I like these crazy new digital things more though, but will have to wait for the technology to become cheaper before I could own one :D

Why would I want to strap something with an e-ink DISPLAY to my wrist. To me anything without hands isn't a watch. ;)
    :D

Now that's the kind of statement that usually povokes Zilla's patented Open Mind tirade :lol:

Happy new year everybody :drunken:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by GuyIncognito

Yes, much better to stick an anachronistic hommage to one's wrists and use the EPD to make sure it's well within COSC :)

So Huertecilla, am I right in thinking that you've got one on order?

http://americanexports.co.uk/en/item/40 ... _Watch.htm is under £100 and has an e-ink screen.

So, the Seiko costs how much??

Craftsman

http://americanexports.co.uk/en/item/40/701/Phosphor_World_Time_Curved_E-Ink_Watch.htm is under £100 and has an e-ink screen.

So, the Seiko costs how much??
    I looked into that Phosphor watch recently, yes it has an e-ink display, BUT it is segmented just like a LCD display is.
    The Seiko has a MUCH higher pixel count and in a MATRIX arrangement, this means that the display can be like a lcd and you can have any information displayed in theory.
    (You will have to google a few video of it in action to see all of the different displays)

The e-ink display technologies are all about CONTRAST and readability.

I would wait to see one in the flesh, but once you do you will see the advantage.

Oh and I would like that Seiko, but I think its too expensive at the moment.
    (Don't worry though there will be a WIS around in 30 years time, and it will be HIS grail).

And just like the first quartz, or first whatever, being the first does count for summat.

Master

Rolex should make one of these. Then I could order a MKII homage of it just to rain on Cilla's bonfire. :D

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rehashlyrics
    The EPD technology itself is not. Esquire magazine had 100.000 front covers with e-ink made for its nov. 2008 issue.

The Seiko SDGA costs what it costs because of the quality of the hardware.
    Seiko positioned a digital watch in their mid range Brightz line úsing a quality display.
    The better legibility EPD offers creates the possibility to sell beter quality digital watches again.

There already áre cheaper watches with EPD technology. The key being 'cheaper watches', cheaper hardware.

The question is not wether you want EPD or LCD but what quality watch you want.
    The past decades has seen the lcd all but disappear from the better quality hardware. EPD being far better legible makes a better quality digital representation of time a possibility again, befitting better made, more expensive hardware.
    Nothing different from the quite cheap analogue hands set up that is used in Swatches, Vostoks, both quartz and mechanical Omegas and - Rolexes, using cheap or expensive hands/dial under acryl or ar coated sapphire.
    If you are not into higher end watches, then buy a cheaper one: wether quartz, mechanical; analogue or digital; led, lcd or epd.

The Seiko EPD is not the first wristwatch with this E-ink display technology.
    It is the first with a single integrated matrix and the is the first in the mid range with 'proper' hardware.
    The novelty lies in re-opening the quality watch sector for a digital representation of time.
    Here some good shots of the hadware: http://watch-tanaka.sub.jp/seiko/SDGA001/

The german home video shows that the legibility of epd in the Seiko befits the quality of higher end watches far better then the lcd which after 40 years has lagged a bit behind.
    Markus is going to try make a comparable macro of an lcd module too to illustrate the difference.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stix
    Yes, much better to stick an anachronistic hommage to one's wrists and use the EPD to make sure it's well within COSC :)
    You are cruel :wink:
    but do hit the nail on the head.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by rehashlyrics
    The EPD technology itself is not. Esquire magazine had 100.000 front covers with e-ink made for its nov. 2008 issue.

The Seiko SDGA costs what it costs because of the quality of the hardware.
    Seiko positioned a digital watch in their mid range Brightz line úsing a quality display.
    The better legibility EPD offers creates the possibility to sell beter quality digital watches again.

There already áre cheaper watches with EPD technology. The key being 'cheaper watches', cheaper hardware.

The question is not wether you want EPD or LCD but what quality watch you want.
    The past decades has seen the lcd all but disappear from the better quality hardware. EPD being far better legible makes a better quality digital representation of time a possibility again, befitting better made, more expensive hardware.
    Nothing different from the quite cheap analogue hands set up that is used in Swatches, Vostoks, both quartz and mechanical Omegas and - Rolexes, using cheap or expensive hands/dial under acryl or ar coated sapphire.
    If you are not into higher end watches, then buy a cheaper one: wether quartz, mechanical; analogue or digital; led, lcd or epd.

The Seiko EPD is not the first wristwatch with this E-ink display technology.
    It is the first with a single integrated matrix and the is the first in the mid range with 'proper' hardware.
    The novelty lies in re-opening the quality watch sector for a digital representation of time.
    Here some good shots of the hadware: http://watch-tanaka.sub.jp/seiko/SDGA001/

The german home video shows that the legibility of epd in the Seiko befits the quality of higher end watches far better then the lcd which after 40 years has lagged a bit behind.
    Markus is going to try make a comparable macro of an lcd module too to illustrate the difference.
    I really like it and although it needs refining and the costs could come down, I would quite like to try one out. I love the fact that you can read the watch from a very acute angle.

There is a good mini review here:

http://Home.watchprosite.com/?show=nblo ... 7838&fi=17

I think it's interesting technology. Would be very interested to see that kind of thing integrated into the G-Shock range once it has matured more. Extrapolating from the e-ink display on my Kindle, it's the kind of thing that would work well with feature rich watches like Gs, and reduced power consumption over an LCD makes solar power even more useful.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stix
    Quite remarkable what the author comments on the market response.

He also shows a family picture which could not illustrate better what I wrote about this EDP matrix display being fit for up-market:

In europe an eventual synchronisation issue should be easily solved with the use of the RCW/SU-3 for the German station DCF77 next to it on the bed side stand.

The other five buyers whove reviewed their´s have not remarked upon insufficient signal reception.
    Not bad; six buyers reviewing with the thing being for sale for just over 3 weeks only. Deduct at least a wheek for shipping so not a bad response at all.

Killer pics of a rocking watch. Awesome stuff.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Angled visibility compaired:
    From left to right; analogue Brightz witt ar coated sapphire, EPD matric ditto, lcd under hardlex