closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: End of an era!

Master

End of an era!

I've been using Wright's coal tar soap for about 50 years. After I moved to the USA, friends brought me fresh supplies back from business trips home. Now that I'm retired, I needed to find a source here, until I read the following sad news . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Wiki
    The [Wright's] soap is now made in Turkey for the current owners of the brand, Simple Health and Beauty Ltd based in Solihull in the UK and is called Wright's Traditional Soap. As European Union directives on cosmetics have banned the use of coal-tar in non-prescription products, the coal tar derivatives have been removed from the formula, replacing them with tea tree oil as main anti-bacterial ingredient. Despite this major variance from the original recipe, the new soap has been made to approximate the look and smell of the original product.
    Must be nice to live in Euro-land and to be so well-protected by Big Brother! So now I'm off to Google for proper USA-made stuff, of which there appears to be great deal of choice - thanks, FDA :D

Merry Crimble,

Re: End of an era!

Calm down fella, you seem to be in a bit of a lather. :wink:
    F.T.F.A.

Same's happened to Pears Soap, now made in Asia. Different product all together.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian
    Same's happened to Pears Soap, now made in Asia. Different product all together.
    And not made from pears.

Grand Master

I have to admit, i really don't like the EU in terms of EC Directives, they come out with so many each year, that it's a nightmare keeping up with legislation, you have to keep on top of all the Statutory Instruments, EC Directives, etc that most companies have to have legislative experts in just to keep on top of it all, which adds cost and no real benefit, because most directives are just rehashes of old ones, with lower limits applied, or slightly tweaked.

^
    I wonder if anyone can list five EU directives that are of real everyday benefit to ordinary people.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA
    I've been using Wright's coal tar soap for about 50 years. After I moved to the USA, friends brought me fresh supplies back from business trips home. Now that I'm retired, I needed to find a source here, until I read the following sad news . . .

The [Wright's] soap is now made in Turkey for the current owners of the brand, Simple Health and Beauty Ltd based in Solihull in the UK and is called Wright's Traditional Soap. As European Union directives on cosmetics have banned the use of coal-tar in non-prescription products, the coal tar derivatives have been removed from the formula, replacing them with tea tree oil as main anti-bacterial ingredient. Despite this major variance from the original recipe, the new soap has been made to approximate the look and smell of the original product.
    Must be nice to live in Euro-land and to be so well-protected by Big Brother! So now I'm off to Google for proper USA-made stuff, of which there appears to be great deal of choice - thanks, FDA :D

Merry Crimble,
    Without wishing to and not being critical of your post .. just generally speaking ... I think the FDA in America is a pretty horrific organisation .. trying to shut down all supplements and herbal medicines ,, and generally making life difficult for anything that is likely to divert profits from BIG Pharma..... And if the USA is not the land of BIG BROTHER then I don't know who is !! Although I will readily admit that Britain follows the same line and is just as bad.
    We are both ran by paranoid governments intent on imposing more controls and taking away more of our personal freedoms .. all in the name of ... OUR so called ........ Health and Safety ... Well sorry ..but that is just ....... BULL@*@$ ... :D
    Merry Xmas

Master

Quote Originally Posted by deepelem
    Without wishing to and not being critical of your post .. just generally speaking ... I think the FDA in America is a pretty horrific organisation .. trying to shut down all supplements and herbal medicines ,, and generally making life difficult for anything that is likely to divert profits from BIG Pharma..... And if the USA is not the land of BIG BROTHER then I don't know who is !! Although I will readily admit that Britain follows the same line and is just as bad.
    We are both ran by paranoid governments intent on imposing more controls and taking away more of our personal freedoms .. all in the name of ... OUR so called ........ Health and Safety ... Well sorry ..but that is just ....... BULL@*@$ ... :D
    Merry Xmas
    Fully agreed. Most USA-dwellers give out the impression that here is the only place worth living on the planet but, deep down, we know it just ain't :cry:

As an example of the "power" of the FDA . .

Amazon USA sells:

"Wrights Coal Tar Soap Original delivered worldwide by British Corner Shop the online supermarket for Expats"
    But the pic shows the coaltar-less product (ie the Euro stuff from Turkey).

Craftsman

Hi Ted .. that is just so funny !!! ... quite ridiculous :roll: .. I love it .... Thy have it right there on the label .. "Coal Tar Fragrance" !!! .............. a guy just know he's being conned .. :-)

I am curently in Russia .,. and I always travel with Coal Tar soap haha! ,, have done for years ... ... but i wonder what version I've got .. I'm gonna check it out right now .. youv'e got me worried .. :evil:

Cheers
    Brian

Oddly, I find tea tree oil smells vaguely of coal tar... Certainly has its own unique fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA

Merry Crimble,
    Maybe good old carbolic soap could be a suitable substitute http://www.lifebuoy.co.uk/carbolic-soaps.htm

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master

Quote Originally Posted by sundial
    Maybe good old carbolic soap could be a suitable substitute http://www.lifebuoy.co.uk/carbolic-soaps.htm

dunk
    Ahhh . . . memories of the RAF - big chunks of carbolic for the airmen's bog - but bars of scented soap for the officer's toilette. That would be back in the 60's when class distinction was still a little noticeable.

I really like the coal tar for holding skin complaints at bay, looking here at present . . . black soap!

Yep [edit], good outfit - they make all kinds of soap . . . even Emu Oil soap :shock: .

Master

I noticed the difference in the Pears soap. Imho, it's hard to find a good soap and often I use a couple of different ones. had some Greek extra-virgin olive-oil soap not long ago and was impressed (rather than cold-pressed :lol:).

That combination of heavy soap and strong after-shave is hilarious- only to be 'veneered' by a layer of lager and cigs.

Br- and a Merry Christmas!

AP.

Ps It's quite amazing that drugs whose toxilogical properties are not fully understood and also combination effects not fully understood are allowed and herbal and supplements are coming in for some much concerted action.

I must admit that with the sort of soap, especially the liquid soap, you buy at supermarkets I've grown tired of the moisturiser they put in such that I feel the need to wash after I've washed just to get rid of it. But what with?