closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me why you like your Speedy

Tell me why you like your Speedy

Just received my Speedmaster back from a service by Steve Burrage and awaiting receipt of a sapphire display back from Thomas Preik. Not really feeling the love though as just want to wear my sub all the time. Would like to hear some good press of the speedy and a few pics with different strap options.

Can anyone oblige?

Re: Tell me why you like your Speedy

I have always loved the Speedy Pro and the history (since 1957) and the space connection make it unlike any other chrono IMO.

Don't like display backs though.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedy is one of my favourite watches & it seems to live on a nato now -

Dan

For me the big appeal of the Speedy (moon watch) is that it is a classic watch and design, an overused term I accept which means different things to different people, but by that I mean the watch generally has not changed throughout it's production life cycle (movement aside), if you bought one new today it would look almost exactly like the first model produced (face design, plexi, dimensions, bracelet, font of script and sub dials etc) subtle differences aside you can clearly see the bloodline now as then. It is a watch that is just right IMHO.

I'm also lucky enough to own a vintage sub, so know what you mean about wanting to wear a sub but again the sub has the same bloodline quality as the speedy; now as then very little has changed through the passage of time. Another classic watch and it is these things that make the Speedy and Sub iconic and right.

Regards straps; I wear mine on the bracelet, a racing perforated leather. Nato and GasGasBones NASA Velcro, it's both a dress and casual watch and I love mine.

No photos to attach to this thread, but if you take a look at my Newbie Introduction from a couple of days ago you can see my Speedy on the GasGas strap.

:)

Regards,

Neil, My purchase of the smooth display back was mainly for comfort as I find the current case back extremely uncomfortable with the raised ring in the centre. Vintage would have been an option but not sure whether I could afford or find a nice one from 1971 which is what I would have wanted.

For me, the appeal of the speedie is the classic look from the iconic design of the 50's/60's which hasn't really changed in 50 years.
    here is a 1963 one on the left:

and acouple of limited editions:

It's one of only a handful of (IMO) truly iconic watches.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master

I have had a Speedy since I bought a new one, well actually it was 6 weeks old, in 2004. It was unused and complete with the push button bracelet, which I removed on 'day one' and fitted a handmade perforated leather strap from ATG and one of Eddies deployants. These straps are no longer available and my biggest regret is that I didn't buy a few at the time. This has been my favourite watch and if I had to get rid of the whole collection and have one only, it would be my Speedmaster Pro that would be the sole keeper.
    However, just 2 hours ago another landed from USA. This one is a '69 and it's completely original, with original dial & hands and the 'dot over 90' bezel. The case is totally ding free, yet has that distinct patina of age - the factory finish is clearly visible but softened with wear, while the polished surfaces are similarly aged. Tool marks on the 145.022 69ST caseback are the only things that detract from the normal signs of careful use. So far, after 2 hours, it's keeping time perfectly with my '04, which is still within +2 secs/day. The seller didn't have any service history but assured me that it was running fine and that is undoubtedly the case. I was really looking for a '68, transitional model, but this one seemed too good to ignore.
    This '69 is fitted with a NOS 1171 bracelet which is liable to be removed this evening, in favour of either leather or a NATO, so an unworn 1171 may well appear on SC before too long.

Master

I love mine because it still smells of Chartman! :love5:

:laughing3:

Disclaimer: That's not true at all. It doesn't and I wouldn't have bought it if it did.
    I love it because it's the watch that opened my eyes to a brand I didn't like before. And it's great when I want to play Astronauts. :lol:

Grand Master

It is an iconic watch with great history .. but apart from that, it has great wrist presence without being 'in your face'. It passes the main population by with it's stealthness .. but it just looks so good (in virtually) all variants.

/vince ..

Master

I don't have a speedy, I have a sub.

I really like the speedy and will get one someday.

I particularly like them on leather straps.

What Vince said.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I do like my Speedy but can't help feel that there's a bit too much hype and space-love going on. I don't like all the special editions they come up with. I specifically bought a pre-moon one so it loses some of the association, but I'm not sure I'll keep it. It does tend to lose out to my Heuers and I haven't worn it for a while.

"A man of little significance"

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100
    I do like my Speedy but can't help feel that there's a bit too much hype and space-love going on.
    You think? :blackeye:
    I don't like all the special editions they come up with. I specifically bought a pre-moon one so it loses some of the association, but I'm not sure I'll keep it. It does tend to lose out to my Heuers and I haven't worn it for a while.
    There's one limited-edition they make which I quite like - it's called the "standard" one ;). I would have it with a sapphire crystal, but Omega wants an extra Ł800 or so for it, which is a gouge like no other, even worse than Sinn. Used, the difference seem to be far less, though.

It's funny; watch fanatics everywhere bag on Rolex for never changing their designs (and bag on them when they do), but stroke themselves silly over the unchanged nature of the Speedy.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

I feel like I should want one, and I've nearly bought one on a couple of occasions, but I don't.

Which is nice, beacuse it's saved me a few quid.

Master

Humbly speaking I have a few watches - but my Speedy always brings a smile to my face when I put her on - just an all round classic piece imho.

Classic design, more history than the history channel and tremendous vintage bang for your buck.
    Not over fond of new ones, 1970ish are imo wonderfull.
    Try buyng a 1970's Rolex chrongraph for less than Ł2000!!
    Colin.

Craftsman

I rarely wear my Speedmaster Pro (although I did today for the first time in months), I don't enjoy the process of setting the time as the crown is small / awkward / stiff therefore I live in fear of over winding it or pulling the crown right off the watch when setting the time. I'm also a bit sensitive about the hesalite crystal.

I do very much like the style of the watch though and like the association with NASA, although I won't bore anyone with the details (as Clarkson says 'If you have to explain it then it ain't cool').

My issues could be solved easily though by getting an automatic version with a Sapphire crytal.

Currently wearing it on a dark brown / white stitch Hirsch leather strap - which it'll have to stay on as it's a tight fit and i'll no doubt scratch the lugs trying to get it off again.

I like mine because it's from 1969 and has a lovely vintage look to the bluey-grey faded bezel.

It's currently on a brown Hirsch sheep strap, which suits it well...

It came with the original 1171 bracelet but I'm not a fan of them so if I wear it on anything else, it goes on the Omega mesh.

Having said all of that, I'm not sure I love it so it might be going in favour of a vintage Rolex GMT if the right one comes along...

Quote Originally Posted by mylofitz
    Neil, My purchase of the smooth display back was mainly for comfort as I find the current case back extremely uncomfortable with the raised ring in the centre. Vintage would have been an option but not sure whether I could afford or find a nice one from 1971 which is what I would have wanted.
    I've never found any problem with that although I always have mine on a bracelet and tend to wear them fairly loose.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100
    I do like my Speedy but can't help feel that there's a bit too much hype and space-love going on. I don't like all the special editions they come up with. I specifically bought a pre-moon one so it loses some of the association
    Surely a pre-moon has more association? :wink:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

because it's one of the best-looking watches ever made?

Master

I have something of a soft spot for Speedmasters. :)

I no longer own all of these (top two with new owners) but I can't get enough and still find myself looking to buy. These days it has to be pre-moon for me.

Why? - classic design, simplicity, rugged functionality, easy to live with....I could go on and on (I usually do!).

Cheers - Simon

I had a Speedy Auto (reduced) and if I'm honest didn't really rate it highly. It felt a little bit flimsy, especially the bracelet.

My current Speedy is not of the typical 'Moonwatch' Incarnation but it still wears the name and I love it...

(Sorry for the poor pics )

Lots to like about this watch...Presence, Split Seconds Chrono, Carbon Fibre Dial, Sapphire Crystal, Rarity :D

I also like the look of the Moonwatch on nato, and will own one, one day.

Journeyman

I currently only own two watches, both cost less than Ł300. If (and thats a big if) I ever blow a big amount on a watch it would more than likely be on a speedmaster, beautiful watches.

gurmot, that is a fabulous picture, really shows the beauty of the speedy. for me there are very few watches that are stunning classics: 5512/3, 1675, 1016 and iwc port come to mind, the speedy is the equal of any of them.

I like mine because I have just bought it and it hasn't arrived yet! :lol:

Life is like a fridge , you only get out what you put in !
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Mi Shu
    I love mine because it still smells of Chartman! :love5:

:laughing3:

Disclaimer: That's not true at all. It doesn't and I wouldn't have bought it if it did.
    I love it because it's the watch that opened my eyes to a brand I didn't like before. And it's great when I want to play Astronauts. :lol:

My smell is good, wet dog and sweaty trollies !

I see what you mean that a Speedy can look a little uninspiring on first sight.. I find when I wear it though, it's supreme legibility, the subtle contours to the dial and the detailing are just right. I think it is the ideal companion to a sub, just start wearing it in the evenings, preferably on leather and you will grow attached.

That being said, my favourite view is still 'under the bonnet' - I think a display back is a must on a manual wind chronograph you really get a good look at the movment without a rotor getting in the way. The speedy is never designed to go near water and unless you are taking it into space then the shatter factor is not an issue. Only drawback is the requirement to clean a little more often.

Craftsman

I never even considered one ....... until this appeared on SC one day ..... Suddenly I saw what all the fuss was about and I had to have it :lol: .............. The only thing is that now it's the only watch I own that I do not want to scratch !! The design is simply a classic and so well balanced ... truly a thing of beauty :

I'm privileged to have two - a 1968/9 transitional 145.022 with the 861- bought from the grandson of the original owner- and a 1966 105.012 with a 321 movement (the same model as Neil Armstrong's Apollo 11 watch). They look best on NATO or velcro IMO. I have both original 1039 bracelets though :)

1968 transitional

1966 321 - very vintage :)

And the two together

I'm going to have to let one go as I'm developing an unhealthy like for vintage Rolex. I actually wear the transitional a lot more than the 321 so I might actually flip the "keeper" :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by deepelem
    That silver dial is a stunner.

I bought one in Sept 2009, having been attracted to the looks, the space connection and the reports of many happy owners. Sadly mine was a lemon, running minutes fast after a full wind. It took Omega and a Manchester AD 5 months to get me a replacement. That one had to go back too, as it was running a second an hour fast. That took 3 months to come back from Omega. I sold it. As a result, I'm unlikely to buy an Omega again and am wary of chronographs. I know I was doubly unlucky.

Nice watch shame about the company, and in particular their QC and service.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw
    I bought one in Sept 2009, having been attracted to the looks, the space connection and the reports of many happy owners. Sadly mine was a lemon, running minutes fast after a full wind. It took Omega and a Manchester AD 5 months to get me a replacement. That one had to go back too, as it was running a second an hour fast. That took 3 months to come back from Omega. I sold it. As a result, I'm unlikely to buy an Omega again and am wary of chronographs. I know I was doubly unlucky.

Nice watch shame about the company, and in particular their QC and service.
    Have to agree about Swatch era Omegas and the service you get as a "valued customer". I will never buy another. Luckily there are still plenty of lovely vintage pieces available, and some good independents to service them as well as STS who seem to be excellent.

It's the clearest watch I own for telling the time....the black face and long thin hands make it so quick to glance at the time. Love it's timeless classic look. I owned a 30th anniversary model once, sold it and regretted it after a couple of years so bought a replacement. It's a watch I've vowed never to sell again. A simple, functional design icon IMO.

This is why...

Journeyman

Speedy was my first premium watch, as a kid by only knowledge of watches came from looking at them in jewellers windows and the NASA association was what pulled me to them, I'd wanted one for 15 years and bought one with my first real bonus. Its a total classic, one of very few and it used to be reasonably priced...... before the price hikes of the last few years.

Master

It's has allways been my favourite. In fact, i think i would take it to the grave on me :)

The watch just suit perfect on me.

big beautiful picture of mine :)

I don't know what it is about them but IMHO they are approaching perfection :)

And for those who believe the Speedy could only be improved by the addition of a date function, the 376.0822

This Broad Arrow Speedy has it all, sporty yet elegant enough to be worn with a suit, nice size at 44.25mm, Chronograph, GMT and a beautiful movement. 8)

It is a timeless classic that looks absolutely great. The NASA heritage etc. all adds to that.

The prices seem to be getting higher, though, and the sheer number of special editions is a bit annoying!

Timeless design classic, perfectly proportioned, and consequently supremely readable.

A pleasure to wear for any occasion.

Beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford
    These are just so good, easily the best looking of the 1045's.

Stanford, is the day wheel an English language original?

Beautiful original dial, there's one for sale in France at the moment but it has a replacement dial I think.

Master

This is why I like my Speedy...

Any excuse to put this pic up :D

I like mine for a couple of reasons :

1) Its a bit different to the standard Speedy's
    2) The Carbon fibre dial
    3) The red accents
    4) It was a wedding gift off the wife!
    5) That bracelet! Classy, dressy but casual if required!

Quote Originally Posted by andy111s

Beautiful original dial, there's one for sale in France at the moment but it has a replacement dial I think.
    Cheers, it is a fine looking watch IMHO :)

The day wheel is English but not original.
    It's not unusual to see them with the wrong dial - I believe original design replacements haven't been available for some time and so service replacements intended for another model (can't recall off-hand which one) have been used :(

Grand Master

And for those who believe the Speedy could only be improved by the addition of a date function, the 376.0822
    I like that one; automatic, day-date, and a decent bph. Easier to use crown, too, by the looks of it.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Grand Master

The Speedy moonwatch is an iconic classic. However, I got a speedy reduced 3510.50 as I find the full-size wears too big on me.

Superb looking watch, for me the reduced version retains the look and appeal of the moonwatch so I`m happy with it.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by andy111s

Cheers, it is a fine looking watch IMHO :)

The day wheel is English but not original.
    It's not unusual to see them with the wrong dial - I believe original design replacements haven't been available for some time and so service replacements intended for another model (can't recall off-hand which one) have been used :(
    Thanks, I'd actually found your original post which explained the day wheel between times - cheers.

I didn't know that the replacement dials (you're correct, they are just from another model 'closest fit' as the originals had disappeared) were quite common - mind you, 'common' is a relative term in this case!

Thanks again.