closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Ashes

Craftsman

Re: The Ashes

Agreed, except

England will have three 90mph+ bowlers in Anderson, Finn and Tremlett. Prepare a bunsen*? Bring it on - England can play Swann and Monty.
    I haven't seen Anderson or Finn consistently get up over about 85mph this series. That may change; if Anderson got some more pace, he'd be very hard to play indeed. Mitchell Johnsons's success against the Saffers was from swinging the ball at 95mph, and he was unplayable. Alas, he's dropped his arm, his head, and now his bundle!

The difference is that Anderson and Finn can bowl at 90mph+.

Australia are being comprehensively outplayed, and don't have the strength in depth to respond to England. The final day at Adelaide was notable also for the absence of Australians in the crowd, which speaks volumes.

Regards

Ian
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Master

well done england
    i think i,ve enjoyed listening to the aussie commentators eating humble pie as much as the cricket itself.for years we,ve had to listen to them praise everything any aussie player does and how great they all are.
    sorry just needed to get that off my chest

If only the old timers could behave a little better...

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/071220...-car-park.html

:D :lol:
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Quote Originally Posted by boddah
    If only the old timers could behave a little better...

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/071220...-car-park.html

:D :lol:

My money's on Botham!

As far as commentators are concerned, Shane Warne has been very complimentary towards England when commentating on Sky - but he loved England when he lived here, and was adored by the Hampshire faithful at The Rose Bowl. He's a top bloke, and would happily spend half an hour at the end of a game signing autographs, being particularly brilliant with the kids. We miss him.

Regards

Ian
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Master

Never underestimate the strength, guile, courage and determination of the Aussies. They will never give up, and they will fight to the death, they are tough guys and England need to be very cautious of this fact. If they are told they are good, they will eventually believe it and that will be their biggest mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by clockwatcher
    Never underestimate the strength, guile, courage and determination of the Aussies. They will never give up, and they will fight to the death, they are tough guys and England need to be very cautious of this fact. If they are told they are good, they will eventually believe it and that will be their biggest mistake.
    +1 - this could be close at the end.

Australia need to win two of the three remaining Tests to regain the Ashes. England need one more win or two draws.

Given the current state of the Australian team, I feel that clockwatcher's belief is touching, but misguided.

EDIT: Just found TMS's player ratings after Adelaide:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tomfordyce/2 ... tings.html

No further comment, m'lud.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rinaldo1711
    +1 - this could be close at the end.
    +1, Much as I hate the bragging attitude of the Aussies I admire their refusal to accept defeat...don`t write them off.

Paul

Australia have recalled Ben Hilfenhaus and Mitchell Johnson, both dropped after the first Test, for Perth, and dropped Doherty, Bollinger and North. Steve Smith has been recalled and there's a surprise inclusion in Mike Beer, a left arm spinner with a grand total of five first-class matches to his name.

Which hardly gives the appearance of a settled side. Any Australians walking too slowly past the Chairman of selectors is in with a chance of getting a game, it would appear. There's also much talk of recalling a certain former spin legend, but Richie Benaud is otherwise engaged.

Master

do you think australia will play 2 spinners,as i can't see the point of picking beer for the squad if he will not play,surely he will not be picked a head of smith if they both are fighting for 1 spot

If Australia are thinking along the lines of playing two spinners it's indicative of the type of wicket being prepared. In which case, England can play Swann and Panesar. Both of whom are in a different league to any of Australia's current spinners.

[s:3ub33u7p]:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:[/s:3ub33u7p] Edit: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's one Smiley for each Australian batsman currently back in the hutch contemplating his future and wondering how it's come to this. At the time of writing. 200 runs on the board.

Enough said.

Master

I'm loving this ashes series
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's coming home
    It's coming home
    It's coming
    Ashes coming home
    (x4)

Everyone seems to know the score
    They've seen it all before
    They just know
    They're so sure

That England's gonna
    Throw it away
    Gonna blow it away
    But I know they can play
    Cos' I remember

Three lions on the shirt
    Jules Rimet still gleaming
    30 Years of hurt
    Never stoppped me dreaming

So many jokes, so many jeers
    But all those oh so nears
    Wear you down
    Through the years

Three lions on a shirt
    Jules rimet still gleaming
    30 Years of hurt
    Never stopped me dreaming

I know that was then
    But it could be again

It's coming home
    It's coming home
    It's coming
    Ashes coming home
    (x4)

:wink:

Actually, it would appear that we've over estimated Australia. Their bowlers lack firepower, direction and intent. Their batsmen lack confidence and commitment. Their fielding is a joke. Ponting is, as has already been mentioned, increasingly erratic. And the Australian press are crucifying the selectors, the tactics, and just about everything else, thereby decimating what little morale the team had left.

In short, Australia are rubbish. Only a complete collapse by England can save them.

Journeyman
    Africa/Wales. British by birth, Yorkshireman by the Grace of God

Great first day but a long way to go, Cooke and Straus to pile on the runs Friday will be nice. :D

Journeyman
    Africa/Wales. British by birth, Yorkshireman by the Grace of God

Great first day but a long way to go, Cooke and Straus to pile on the runs Friday will be nice. :D

Craftsman

Let's see how we go tomorrow. Australia's 244 first innings in 2006 didn't look too clever, but they ended up winning by more than 200.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point

Actually, it would appear that we've over estimated Australia. Their bowlers lack firepower, direction and intent. Their batsmen lack confidence and commitment. Their fielding is a joke. Ponting is, as has already been mentioned, increasingly erratic. And the Australian press are crucifying the selectors, the tactics, and just about everything else, thereby decimating what little morale the team had left.

In short, Australia are rubbish. Only a complete collapse by England can save them.
    +1 (and England never collapse, well almost never, well not usually.........................well not that often)

** In case anyone missed this little gem in Boys Room: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=148699&p=1524701#p1524701

^
    Hmm. Not usually collapse. No, they're reliable and thrilling to watch.... I'm glad I was in bed.

I saw the last few hours this morning and the highlights today - a depressing business. Teach me to post weak witty remarks that come true :( I still think that England will win the series.

Tea at the moment - Aussies leading by 378 (297-8 second innings). Can England salvage something? Seems a benign pitch.

I'm sitting here having got up at some unearthly hour (the things I do for my country) with a cup of tea, watching the snow outside and wondering if we can actually do this. New ball taken and well into Australia's tail, so despite Hussey we should wrap this up and be looking at chasing less than 400, with a couple of days to get them. Which, as long as the batsmen dig themselves in, we can do. A couple of Boycott-esque innings from the top end should set us up.

The Saffers have successfully chased 400+ on this ground. We need to believe in ourselves.

Regards

Ian

37-2 - is it too early for whisky?

edit: Now KP gone 55-3 - maybe a double?

We jinxed them with all the above complimentary posts. They simply can't take being complimented; it goes to their heads. :evil:

The old English disease of "waving the bat at a wide one" seems to have reappeared. All down to Collingwood (who's desperately short of runs), Trott (the new Boycott, if ever there was one), Bell (the classiest batsman of the series by far) and Prior (see Collingwood).

This one's not going to end in a draw, it would seem. Nil desperandum.

81-5 - another collapse :roll: :roll:

Master

Oh dear

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rinaldo1711

+1 (and England never collapse, well almost never, well not usually.........................well not that often)

** In case anyone missed this little gem in Boys Room: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=148699&p=1524701#p1524701
    No need to repeat myself then. The Aussies are marching back in style. If you believe Australia are rubbish then you have a short memory. A couple of good innings from England wont turn things around that easily.

A lesson for England. The lesson being not to get out playing careless shots to a third-rate bowling attack who are only threatening when atmospheric conditions are in their favour. Perth is unique, and has been a graveyard for England for decades and the only time England have won there in living memory was against the rats and mice remaining after Kerry Packer skimmed the cream for his mercenary series.

England didn't deserve to win this Test, but it doesn't alter the fact that Australia remain a team in crisis and now it seems that Ponting may have fractured the little finger of his left hand and there's talk of him missing the Boxing Day Test. Which would be unfortunate, as on the evidence of this series so far, he appears more than capable of leading his team to a series defeat.

Two to go. One win or two draws would be enough.

Perth may be a special case, but a dose of humility would not go astray. England were thrashed, absolutely thrashed - and it would be wise to look again at our own weaknesses rather than Austrailia's.

I still think England will win the series, but as I've said before it may well be very close.

News from Sky - they have been asked to move their camera gantries in line with a different wicket for the next Test at Melbourne.

Make of that what you will.

I guess they're moving the Perth wicket to Melbourne (under cover of darkness of course) :) Not sure how they'll manage the weather conditions.

Master

That's the England almost defeatist attitude though. If it was an Australian saying this, it would be "only two wins will do..... absolutely nothing less"

That's the England almost defeatist attitude though. If it was an Australian saying this, it would be "only two wins will do..... absolutely nothing less"

You're right. Sorry.

Winning the next one will shut the fecking convicts up.

Better? :mrgreen:

I wonder if we'll be hearing from Clockwatcher today?

Australia 98 all out in less than 43 overs. A masterful display of batting. Yes, Australia are, quote: "marching back in style".

Let's hope that their awesome pace attack can make a game of this. After all, it's the end of Day 1 and England are only 50+ runs ahead, so there's still hope for Australia. Oh, wait: England haven't lost a wicket.

There also appeared to be a fire alarm which was only audible to Antipodean ears. At least, I think that was the reason why there only appeared to be England fans in the stadium long before the close.

Regards

Ian

There also appeared to be a fire alarm which was only audible to Antipodean ears. At least, I think that was the reason why there only appeared to be England fans in the stadium long before the close.

Ian
    There must have been a fire alarm going off when I was at the Gabba too. :lol: :lol: :lol:

My mobile is very quiet today.

Blog Entries

Australia 98 all out - England 157 for 0 :D :D :D

What a great (albeit slightly belated) Christmas present! 8)

Australia 98 all out in less than 43 overs. A masterful display of batting. Yes, Australia are, quote: "marching back in style".

Let's hope that their awesome pace attack can make a game of this. After all, it's the end of Day 1 and England are only 50+ runs ahead, so there's still hope for Australia. Oh, wait: England haven't lost a wicket.

Regards

Ian

Gloating about an Aussie collapse - very bad form indeed, and like the Aussies just not cricket :D

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond
    Australia 98 all out - England 157 for 0 :D :D :D

What a great (albeit slightly belated) Christmas present! 8)
    :D :D :D

Relatives from Oz phoned up, didn't want to discuss the cricket for some reason. :lol: :wink:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

But you made them? ;)

It's great; we can enjoy each day as it comes and hope they keep their heads to win.

In the words of Bill Withers

Lovely day, lovely day, lovely day, etc.

Now all they need to do it put 550 on the board, stick ozzie in and it will be all over by Wednesday

Ashes back on the first flight :D

Andy ( keeping fingers crossed)

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

What a difference a week makes! :drunken:
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Craftsman

Pretty pathetic of the Oz crowd to all pile out when the going gets rough .... so much for Aussie grit huh! They never could handle getting beat .. :D :D :D :bounce: and as for whingeing .... don't get me started ... yeeyyyy :mrgreen:

Master

I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much after the last test, but if we have another good day and get more runs on the board than we have wickets I could get a bit more cheerful.

No word yet on Punter's likely punishment for his unacceptable behaviour. He has form when it comes to arguing with the match officials, so the ICC may decide on a draconian punishment, and force him to continue playing for, and captaining Australia.

England look comfortable, and a first innings lead of 400 - 450 should see them home. From Jonathon Agnew on TMS: "Peter Siddle has been by far the best (= least worst) of the Australian bowlers". And the posturing yet fragile Mitchell Johnson has reverted to his true form, spraying it all over the place.

On the plus side, it was good to see several Australian players congratulate Jonathon Trott as they walked off at the close. They looked as though they know that the result is inevitable. A good day for England all round, the only dark cloud on their increasingly sunny horizon being another single figure score for Paul Collingwood. At this rate, his average for the series will be below Ponting's.

Regards

Ian

Master

Regards

Ian

And didnt they just thrash us in style?

Looks like we are returning the compliment.

Its not over yet and this is exactly what makes it an exciting series. However it is no good retaining the ashes with a draw. The ashes must be won

Master

A good day batting a few more runs to come before a declaration then we can get at bowling them out again.
    It would be good to wrap the ashes up with a game to spare.

Craftsman

No word yet on Punter's likely punishment for his unacceptable behaviour. He has form when it comes to arguing with the match officials, so the ICC may decide on a draconian punishment, and force him to continue playing for, and captaining Australia.

England look comfortable, and a first innings lead of 400 - 450 should see them home. From Jonathon Agnew on TMS: "Peter Siddle has been by far the best (= least worst) of the Australian bowlers". And the posturing yet fragile Mitchell Johnson has reverted to his true form, spraying it all over the place.

On the plus side, it was good to see several Australian players congratulate Jonathon Trott as they walked off at the close. They looked as though they know that the result is inevitable. A good day for England all round, the only dark cloud on their increasingly sunny horizon being another single figure score for Paul Collingwood. At this rate, his average for the series will be below Ponting's.

Regards

Ian
    He has a lot of form for whingeing when things don't go his way .. He had it good for many years captaining a stellar team ... and was even then pushed to be in any way magnanimous. Sport has a habit of evening things up and Punter is destroying his legacy as a superb batsmen with this puerile behaviour .. I love it :-)
    In fact with Schamacher doing it as well it's been rather a good year for bringing arrogance down ... I just wish it would spread to a few premiership footballers :mrgreen:

Cheers
    Brian