closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ashes

The Ashes

Now I don't want to tempt fate, and we haven't beaten Australia at home since God was a boy, but at the moment Australia are looking like a team in crisis and England have rocked into town for the first Test, which starts on Thursday, on the crest of a wave. To the extent that Messrs Anderson, Broad, Finn and Swann went to Brisbane a week early in order to acclimatise, leaving the second-string bowlers to take Australia 'A' apart in the final warm-up game. In which Ian Bell almost scored a double-century.

The batsmen seem to be on-form as well, only Jonathan Trott out of the top 6 yet to score a half-century on this tour.

Australia aren't the team that they were. No Warne, McGrath, Langer et al. Their best spinner is Nathan Hauritz, and Monty is miles better than him (and may only play once). And vice-captain Michael Clarke is likely to miss at least the first Test with a recurrence of a back injury.

As I said, I don't want to tempt fate. But I'm very much looking forward to hearing from their captain, Mr Richard Ponting, after what will hopefully be an historic series defeat.

It's just a shame that they have to play at night.

Regards

Ian
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Craftsman

Re: The Ashes

It would be such a shame if such a stellar batsman as Ponting was best remembered as the man who lost 3 Ashes series :lol: (although of course England "only" need a drawn series to retain the urn). I have been enjoying the shambolic build-up iand selection policy in the Australian camp - it reminds me of the England team of the mid 1990's.

Craftsman

Well, yes, but strange things happen in Eng. vs. Aus.
    Australia seem inspired by the sight of Poms.

I'd enjoy another one of these actually.
    followed by this.

Craftsman

maybe the aussies will be inspired by the sight of us poms! but i think we have a better than good chance of bringing the ashes home.

Lets hope the England RU stuffing of the Aussies inspires the English cricketers

C'mon England

Journeyman
    Africa/Wales. British by birth, Yorkshireman by the Grace of God

There is no way the Aussies will roll over but we must be in with a shot.

Just been watching some past Ashes highlights on the tv, how good it would be to see another bowler get an Hat-rick like Goughy did in 98.

Emgland win the series 2 - 1, you heard it here first - fill yer boots at 9/1 :)

Sitting on the dock of eBay, Queensland, Australia

Just starting to rain lightly again down here. Overcast but bright behind the cloudcover, so lets hope it burns off soon.

No TV's at work and internet down so you're probably all better off over there staying up all night :wink:

I've gone Hussey and Collingwood as highest scoring 1st Innings batsmen. But not suggesting you follow me :lol:

Ian "Beefy" Emeister

Oh Dear.............Brit's All Out :(

It's one thing to talk the talk................ :roll:
    F.T.F.A.

I just watched the highlights and it certainly wasn't pretty in some places. :(

Master
    Hmmm. Perhaps I should have gone. I was dodging all manner of cricket fans that were walking to the 'gabba on the bike paths whilst I was riding into work this morning. Maybe I'll go tomorrow and watch Oz collapse...

I'm looking on the bright side. If you take Peter Siddle's performance out of the equation, the rest of the Australian bowlers looked rather pedestrian. So we'll let Siddle have his day, and sort it out in the second innings. Hopefully.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Craftsman

Being an Aussie, I have to say that I don't think it was as bad for England as it looked.

Johnson is still throwing pies. It's hard to remember back to when he made South Africa look like Bangladesh.
    Siddle looked ordinary in the first session, then had an absolute blinder. Not sure which version will bowl in the second dig. The trouble is, Ponting often doesn't set aggressive fields when a batter is set, so it's hard to pitch it up knowing the nicks won't find a catcher.
    Hilfenhaus was good, but not particularly threatening. He got Strauss with the swing, cramping him for space. When it doesn't move in the air, he's playable.
    Watson is all glare and intent, but he doesn't do very much. He acts like Lillee but he bowls like Brendon Julian. He gets wickets from being intimidating.
    Doherty? Who the hell knows? I hadn't heard of him before June.

The England bats mostly got starts and then got themselves out. That can be fixed. The most worrying dismissal was Trott, because it showed a lack of technique.

I did like the look of Bell - our memories of him were as a complete bunny. Today, he looked composed and in control, with a nice range of shots. He could be your S R Waugh - for the first few years he's picked you think - why? and then he turns into a legend.

Looking forward to days two and three.

Honours just about even on day 2. Somebody commented on the TMS web report that if you saw Michael Clarke's innings lying by the side of the road you'd stop and finish it off with a jack handle, and Marcus North didn't look much better. Credit to Punter for walking, as he knew that he'd nicked it. One benefit of the review system is that batsmen know not to waste a review if they've feathered one.

As long as we can get past Hussey and Haddin, I think we should start our second innings without much of a deficit. We get the new ball early tomorrow, which could make a difference, although a new Kookaburra doesn't move like a Duke.

It's very much "Game on".

Regards

Ian

Thomas Reid

Astonishing.

Best wishes,
    Bob

You've summed it up, Bob. A gutsy performance by England's top order in the second innings, helped by the wicket turning into a road, Australia's bowlers losing interest and their fielders dropping a few.

A statement of intent from England, and a very well earned draw. Adelaide next, on Thursday. Rumours abound that Australia are looking closely at making a few changes.

^^^^ they need to. An excellent result for England.

Master

unbeliveable effort from england,s top three.after australia,s first innings salvaging a draw seemed impossible

517-1? :shock:

Australia have included Ryan Harris and Doug Bollinger in their squad for the next Test.

I'm rather hoping that they stick with Mitchell Johnson. Australia's main strike bowler. The strike bowler who would rather talk to the press about his latest tattoo than his bowling. The strike bowler who won't take the new ball. England's batsmen will probably be hoping so as well.

Brilliant innings by those three. They'll dine out on that for years. Lovely to see the glum Aussie faces. :)

Craftsman

For the first time in a long while this Engalnd team is performing feats which we are usually on the receiving end of. Perhaps this is the pessimistic blinkered view of the armchair supporter but when the Aussies put on 300+ in the first innings I thought "this type of thing always seems to happen to England"...I never thought we would break some records of our own. Perhaps the players back themselves more than the fans do, which is great - after all, it was only this summer that Broad and Trott shared a monumental record breaking stand when we under the cosh. Can't wait for the 2nd Test! If I was an Aussie selctor I'd be busting a gut to get Warne back on the field.

Turned it around a treat, now for a victory at the next one :blackeye:
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

0-2
    2-3

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swanny
    0-2
    2-3

A good call by Pontin to bat first :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by phil h
    Quote Originally Posted by swanny
    0-2
    2-3

A good call by Pontin to bat first :lol:
    A good toss to lose, some great bowling and the Aussie wheels are comin' off. Brilliant

The trick now is for England not to get cocky - one of their great weaknesses. They need the killer instinct. After all, the Ashes are not for fun. Serious business.

The pundits are saying that this is a good batting wicket - if so, then it makes England's performance in the field even more laudable.

If the top three bat like they did in Brisbane then we should be able to knock the stuffing out of Australia. Ponting's confidence (and he has a great deal of it, sometimes misplaced) must be at an all-time low. It would be interesting to know what Haddin and Ponting said to Andrew Strauss when they left the field at the close of play. There was definitely something going on.

Day one went decisively to England. We have the batting to build on that, and all being well take a lead in the series.

Regards

Ian

Ponting. :lol:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Oh yes. Carry on, gentlemen. More like this.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket ... 256460.stm

England looking comfortable, Australia anything but. The Aussie fielders look like walking wounded, the bowlers are walking wounded. Ponting may as well throw the ball to one of the many seagulls wandering around on the outfield, as they'll probably stand more chance of getting a wicket. Marcus North looks to be the man most likely to break an excellent partnership between Pietersen, who looks in excellent touch, and Cook, who's seeing it like a beach ball and not looking remotely like giving Australia's demoralised trundlers a sniff of his wicket. Even if England donate a wicket to Australia we've got Colly and Bell next up, and they're not noted for being rash at the crease (well, not unless Colly goes early - he tends to start an innings looking as if he's batting with an upright Hoover).

The only potential cloud is a literal one - some rain is forecast over the next two days. Although England could put this beyond reach tomorrow and bowl with a bit of cloud cover. :)

Regards

Ian

Well on top now, just hope the weather doesn't stuff us.

The rain appears to have rescued Australia from further misery for now. England now lead by just over 300, following Pietersen's batting masterclass. There appears to be spin available for Swann, and if there's cloud cover tomorrow, James Anderson will be a handful.

There seem to be more England supporters in the ground than Australians, and the Barmy Army are in good voice. Ponting looks like he's got all the troubles of the world on his shoulders, which isn't far from the truth - only Ryan Harris is bowling with anything like a sense of purpose. Sir Beefy has described the rest as "Military", which was polite. England have the luxury of being able to keep their bowlers fresh - they certainly won't be required to bat in this match.

Ironically, only the weather can save Australia now. :D :D :D

Regards

Ian

Two double centuries in two matches, just got to hope that the Aussie groundsmen haven't prepared a flat dull wicket and that we can blow them away with our bowlers...

I also think that Strauss will perform in the next game, he doesn't like being an early wicket!

Master

it's nice to watch at the moment and being a fan of KP it's great to see him getting amongst the runs

I'll return to my earlier point about England getting cocky: we know from painful experience oft repeated how they can collapse ignominiously. With that and the fact you can never write off the Aussies I'm not counting any chickens - whilst still delighting in England's current success.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point
    The rain appears to have rescued Australia from further misery for now. England now lead by just over 300, following Pietersen's batting masterclass. There appears to be spin available for Swann, and if there's cloud cover tomorrow, James Anderson will be a handful.

There seem to be more England supporters in the ground than Australians, and the Barmy Army are in good voice. Ponting looks like he's got all the troubles of the world on his shoulders, which isn't far from the truth - only Ryan Harris is bowling with anything like a sense of purpose. Sir Beefy has described the rest as "Military", which was polite. England have the luxury of being able to keep their bowlers fresh - they certainly won't be required to bat in this match.

Ironically, only the weather can save Australia now. :D :D :D

Regards

Ian
    It looks as if the weather tomorrow will be very bad indeed. I just hope that the decision to bat on yesterday will not be regretted if it gets very close at the end.

Clarke's wicket right at the close was a real bonus. According to Graeme Swann, KP was proclaiming in the dressing room afterwards that he is now an all-rounder! :lol:

Six wickets to get, and hopefully the weather will hold out. Once past North and Haddin (the tougher proposition of the two on current form) the Australian tail should be there for the taking.

The Barmy Army are again in good voice - to the tune of "Love will tear us apart", "Swann will tear you apart, again" and the National Anthem subtly amended to "God save your gracious Queen".

Yours, hoping for sunshine....

Ian

^^^^^ I'm hoping too, but the detailed forecast does not look too good - better bowl them out fast!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricke ... -five.html

Journeyman

*rain dancing*

sss

Prior's just dropped a peach off Swann :(

That's better - Hussey just gone. :)

Haddin out - only the bowlers now!

Master

[s:74f4f6w0]286 - 8[/s:74f4f6w0]

All over before 1am - Strauss gets five - early night.

:D

Yes! An innings victory. Great stuff.

Desire Tapatalk? It's here.

Brilliant all round performance, shame about Broady though.

Sitting here in the office in Brisbane is a joy at the moment.

This makes up for the grief I received 4 years ago. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Come on Engerlund!

Craftsman

Well, it was a good win by England.

As an Australian, watching the first two overs of this Test gave me the same sense of impending disaster as I usually feel every winter, watching the Blacks score the first try. The only question for debate is how crushing the defeat.

What surprises me the most is the vapid performance in the field. If nothing else, Australians pride themselves on being faultless in the field. This mob couldn't catch a cold.

Ponting is captaining increasingly erratically, with bizarre field placings, especially to spinners (again). It was fine when Warne was bowling, because he set his own fields. But how is a left arm spinner supposed to take wickets with a 7-2 field and no-one close to the bat? He was possibly worse in India, so it's not like you lot have spooked him (although you have).

That leaves the bowling, which is as bad as I have seen in an Australian unit since 1985, and the batting - which is as bad as I have seen in an Australian unit since... 1985.

England have batted fantastically well. They are sharp and positive in the field. Their bowling is not as good as it looks - there's no real pace to them,, and I don't think Broad or Finn are particularly threatening at all - but it doesn't really matter if you are taking 20 wickets in a match. Anderson has improved by leaps and bounds since we last saw him.

Hopefully the WACA pitch is a proper WACA pitch instead of the dire excuses we have had for the last five years. We miss the old pitch they had in the 1980s and 1990s - that used to rear up of a length and give the bats something to think about. Still remember Ambrose in 1993 at the WACA.

A fantastic win for England, and a thoroughly convincing one, having outplayed Australia in all areas.

The only fly in England's victory champagne is the injury to Stuart Broad, but the next match is at Perth which should suit Chris Tremlett - 6'7" and 90mph.
    David Lloyd has just made the point on Sky that Australia only have one bowler who can bowl at 90mph+, Ryan Harris. Discussion has centred around the type of pitch that might be prepared at Perth, but whatever they do should play into England's hands - hard with a covering of grass - England will have three 90mph+ bowlers in Anderson, Finn and Tremlett. Prepare a bunsen*? Bring it on - England can play Swann and Monty.

Word is that Australia have lost Simon Katitch for the rest of the series - his natural replacement is Phillp Hughes, who has problems of his own. They proved today that they have four Number 11 batsmen, but there's a call to replace Xavier Doherty, possibly bringing back Mitchell Johnson, whose figures at Brisbane read 0 - 170, but who does appear to be able to bat. A bit.

Australia need to win two of the remaining three Tests. At the moment they don't look remotely capable.

Oh to be out there at the moment with the Barmy Army, in the sunshine, with England dominating the series!

Regards

Ian

*Bunsen burner = turner