closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A special new arrival: Omega Electroquartz clock

No longer mine...can't believe some of the pieces i have moved on......doh!

Oh I thought yours was the second one at STS, did it go to someone here ? It's not necessarily a bad thing to be able to move on pieces...except if you end up missing them ;-)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by webvan View Post
    How about this Omega Clock that was fitted on one of the Concorde prototypes apparently...yours for a paltry...

..€39.000 !
    That's a spicy meatball! If I'd the cash and was as mad as a box of frogs I'd buy it tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by dickstar1977 View Post

What makes it so special is the movement, yes thats right it requires 4 AA batteries and as you can see the technology is pretty old school, but man is it accurate, I have had it for four days and it hasn't missed a second, I trimmed it in when it first arrived and it is bang on, apparently according to Journey Through Time it should be as accurate as my Marine Chronometer and Megaquartz Stardust, variation of +- 1 SPM, pretty impressive even my modern standards
    The trimmer would be the screw just to the left of the battery in the picture above, right? I tried to trim mine to improve on its +40spy rate but can't seem to get any impact from turning that screw...

Absolutely love it - didn't even know such a thing existed..... damn you. Now I *need* one.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

desk clock

Hi

Never seen one like it a real beauty

Master
    Thanks all

There weren't very many of these made, this example is now on display at STS who have another one. The down side is the last one I saw for sale sold for over £3000!

Great pieces of kit though and something really quite special in terms of what it represents! Accurate to 1SPM in varying temps and if kept at consistent temp apparently 4 seconds per YEAR!

That's a ton of money ! There was that one on eBay a couple of years ago : http://cgi.ebay.com/260796364833 with an asking price of €3K, did it sell eventually or was it another one?

They supposedly produced 1000 of the Calibre 1390 movements used in that clock but they come so rarely that it's possible there weren't as many clocks built.

Oh, did you see my question about the trimmer above? That screw seems like a good candidate but it doesn't seem to be very effective on mine...
    Last edited by webvan; 13th May 2013 at 13:40.

An update on the trimmer action and indeed that's the "screw" I pointed to above. Unlike most trimmers I've seen though, especially those on the 151x movements, it's very "subtle", i.e. it will take a lot of turning for the impact to be felt, which is not a bad thing actually. Looking at my notes, it seems that 1/4 turn to the right will only slow it down by about 10 spy.

My testing is slow as I use the "video method" (frame by frame comparisons with a clock on my PC NTP synced and showing 1/1000th of a second) and one week between measures is needed for some good accuracy...if anyone has or has seen a spare Omega Deltatest please let me know!

That's a cracker! Why do I click on topics that just torment me. Just one visit to TZ-UK and I'm guilty of all 7 Deadly Sins :o(
    Cheers
    Joe

Apprentice

OMEGA ELECTROQUARTZ f8192 CLOCK

Quote Originally Posted by dickstar1977 View Post
    Afternoon all

Well, after whats been a pretty rubbish week, this arrived and has cheered me right up!

Introduced in 1968 these where basically the predecessors to Omegas quartz revolution of the 1970's, they were produced in very limited numbers and from what I can gather weren't commercially available, virtually all of them where sent to large Omega retailers and display clocks or given as gifts by Omega.

I bought this one from a chap in France, it is only the third one I have ever seen and the only black dial version, the only other one I have seen in the flesh is owned by Swiss Time Services and resides in their museum display.

What makes it so special is the movement, yes thats right it requires 4 AA batteries and as you can see the technology is pretty old school, but man is it accurate, I have had it for four days and it hasn't missed a second, I trimmed it in when it first arrived and it is bang on, apparently according to Journey Through Time it should be as accurate as my Marine Chronometer and Megaquartz Stardust, variation of +- 1 SPM, pretty impressive even my modern standards

Everything about the clock smacks of hand made limited run manufacture, even down to the glass which when dismantled is noticeably hand finished on the edges to fit the case, the case is hard plastic with a steel inner shell/ hub for the workings to be mounted on all of the workings are encased in a large plasic pod like rear shell, very cool! It weights about a kilo and is very marmite, I personally love the design, my wife thinks it looks 'cheap' sigh!

Anyway thought I would show it off, not something you will see everday and certainly not something i'm likley to find for sale again anytime soon!

Cheers Tom

Apprentice

OMEGA ELECTROQUARTZ f8192 CLOCK

My family were Omega/Tissot retailers in Rosebank, Johannesburg for 35 years and I thereby acquired one of these clocks which were made available by the importers to retailers. It is the grey case model with silver dial. It sat in storage for many years and VERY unfortunately there was battery acid leakage on some of the terminals where the batteries are mounted although the batteries had long since been removed. In fact, one of the terminals was eaten away by corrosion. Anyway to cut a long story short, I was determined to get the clock working again and managed to find a watchmaker prepared to give it some attention. The corrosion seems to have been confined to the battery storage area and fortunately not to the rest of the clock which is pristine. He first detected a bad connection to the electronic board (probably caused by the battery leakage) but advises me that he has surmounted this and the clock has started working but stops after about two hours or so. He suspects that there is some impediment in the drive train causing this which he needs to clear, so I am very hopeful that the clock will again work yielding this reputed accuracy of 12 seconds per year! Clearly, anybody who is fortunate enough to obtain one of these clocks should be particularly mindful of battery leakage and I wondered if there are any 1.5V batteries that are guaranteed not to leak. Leakage can be so devastating. I suppose parts for these clocks are now unobtainable (I was thinking of replacing the entire battery holder section which has been damaged by the leakage). My e-mail is lecolle@mweb.co.za. RAY

Welcome to the forums and great story/quest! It doesn't sound like stopping after two hours would be an electronic problem so hopefully it can be sorted.

Are you saying there was some sort of leak without any batteries installed?

Oh and pictures of yours would be great ;-)

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by webvan View Post
    Welcome to the forums and great story/quest! It doesn't sound like stopping after two hours would be an electronic problem so hopefully it can be sorted.

Are you saying there was some sort of leak without any batteries installed?

Oh and pictures of yours would be great ;-)
    Omega Electroquartz f8192 clock.re-sized.jpgOmega f8192 electroquartz battery corrosion.re-sized.JPG

Apprentice
    The corrosion (obviously) took place while the batteries were present. Pictures of clock and corrosion problem shown. RAY
    Last edited by Ray Lecolle-Brown; 9th June 2016 at 16:26.

So cool. So very very cool