closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A special new arrival: Omega Electroquartz clock

Hybrid View

Master

A special new arrival: Omega Electroquartz clock

Afternoon all

Well, after whats been a pretty rubbish week, this arrived and has cheered me right up!

Introduced in 1968 these where basically the predecessors to Omegas quartz revolution of the 1970's, they were produced in very limited numbers and from what I can gather weren't commercially available, virtually all of them where sent to large Omega retailers and display clocks or given as gifts by Omega.

I bought this one from a chap in France, it is only the third one I have ever seen and the only black dial version, the only other one I have seen in the flesh is owned by Swiss Time Services and resides in their museum display.

What makes it so special is the movement, yes thats right it requires 4 AA batteries and as you can see the technology is pretty old school, but man is it accurate, I have had it for four days and it hasn't missed a second, I trimmed it in when it first arrived and it is bang on, apparently according to Journey Through Time it should be as accurate as my Marine Chronometer and Megaquartz Stardust, variation of +- 1 SPM, pretty impressive even my modern standards

Everything about the clock smacks of hand made limited run manufacture, even down to the glass which when dismantled is noticeably hand finished on the edges to fit the case, the case is hard plastic with a steel inner shell/ hub for the workings to be mounted on all of the workings are encased in a large plasic pod like rear shell, very cool! It weights about a kilo and is very marmite, I personally love the design, my wife thinks it looks 'cheap' sigh!

Anyway thought I would show it off, not something you will see everday and certainly not something i'm likley to find for sale again anytime soon!

Cheers Tom

Quote Originally Posted by dickstar1977 View Post

What makes it so special is the movement, yes thats right it requires 4 AA batteries and as you can see the technology is pretty old school, but man is it accurate, I have had it for four days and it hasn't missed a second, I trimmed it in when it first arrived and it is bang on, apparently according to Journey Through Time it should be as accurate as my Marine Chronometer and Megaquartz Stardust, variation of +- 1 SPM, pretty impressive even my modern standards
    The trimmer would be the screw just to the left of the battery in the picture above, right? I tried to trim mine to improve on its +40spy rate but can't seem to get any impact from turning that screw...

Apprentice

OMEGA ELECTROQUARTZ f8192 CLOCK

Quote Originally Posted by dickstar1977 View Post
    Afternoon all

Well, after whats been a pretty rubbish week, this arrived and has cheered me right up!

Introduced in 1968 these where basically the predecessors to Omegas quartz revolution of the 1970's, they were produced in very limited numbers and from what I can gather weren't commercially available, virtually all of them where sent to large Omega retailers and display clocks or given as gifts by Omega.

I bought this one from a chap in France, it is only the third one I have ever seen and the only black dial version, the only other one I have seen in the flesh is owned by Swiss Time Services and resides in their museum display.

Everything about the clock smacks of hand made limited run manufacture, even down to the glass which when dismantled is noticeably hand finished on the edges to fit the case, the case is hard plastic with a steel inner shell/ hub for the workings to be mounted on all of the workings are encased in a large plasic pod like rear shell, very cool! It weights about a kilo and is very marmite, I personally love the design, my wife thinks it looks 'cheap' sigh!

Anyway thought I would show it off, not something you will see everday and certainly not something i'm likley to find for sale again anytime soon!

Cheers Tom