closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glycine all the way

Craftsman

Glycine all the way

Bit of a fan boy, but.... There is no arguing to that Glycine at the moment sell at insainly low prices. So if you want the most bang for buck I think it is a good brand to check out. Myself I bouhgt a Iguana Chrono (NiB) for 400 pounds and a new Big Nine for 900. Thats hard to beat.

Re: Glycine all the way

Leaves you enough change to buy a dictionary.

Glycine are an acquired taste that only a few seem to have acquired. And I would be wary of becoming an evangelical brand ambassador around here.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Master

What's wrong with liking Glycines around here? I like them and I see them around here each and every day...

Here's the first (of many) Glycines I've had.

Cheers,

/erik

(oh and regarding the dictionary comment...what was that all about? )

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Denke
    What's wrong with liking Glycines around here? I like them and I see them around here each and every day...

Here's the first (of many) Glycines I've had.

Cheers,

/erik

Myself I bouhgt a Iguana Chrono (NiB)

this I think
    paul. :D

Master

I like Glycine and they also have some very traditional designs that have a long heritage. Some of the other designs were at a time when a number of producers in a segment that is smaller as they are not mass-market like some of the larger watch-houses, and therefore need to be more distinctive to keep market share or to gain it, and to get along need. The kitsch aspect is liked by some in their markets such as Germany and Switzerland, though to others it may look bizarre.

Br,

AP.

the one glycine i owned was one of the best watches ive ever had
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

The OP's spelling :D

Quote Originally Posted by Ermapo
    Bit of a fan boy, but.... There is no arguing to that Glycine at the moment sell at insainly low prices. So if you want the most bang for buck I think it is a good brand to check out. Myself I bouhgt a Iguana Chrono (NiB) for 400 pounds and a new Big Nine for 900. Thats hard to beat.
    They certainly do some nice watches - but can someone enlighten me as to why they are great value at these prices? No beef with them, just interested...

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix
    The OP's spelling :D
    A lot of people people here are in a bit of a glass house on this one. If the OP "wud of brought" a Speedy Pro or something soothing and acceptable then no-one would have batted an eyelid.

Besides, point something out and most of the time you'll get a "warra u liek my f*kin teacha or summink". Nice
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master

Never owned one, but a Combat Sub is on my list for sometime in the future.
    They do seem well built and owners (past and present) seem to have only good things to say.
    Now, concerning the price point, that's a very different conversation. Their particular segment has become very competitive especially in the past few years, and you have a lot of options in that range. I think that you could say they are competitively priced, but not "insanely priced" as the OP suggested

Alex

i really could not find anything to complain about in terms of quality of construction and finish on mine. that alone is remarkable in my book. also glycine dont tend to make anything too banal - they take risks with their designs, they are not scared of using a bit of colour and they tend to steer away from just churning out derivatives of other watch designs. they are quality but you dont get the idea you are paying over the odds just so they can maintain their brand image. theres alot to like about the brand.

I really like them. They're a good value, well made brand with history.
    Here's mine..

Glycine all the way

I am quite a fan of the various Airman. I remember being surprised at the fine quality when I received my very first Airman.

Best regards transmitted from my mobile device, Kat.

Glycine are great watches. It takes all kinds to make a watch, and sometimes you may not like a watches appearance, but you can't knock the build quality of Glycine.

This is mine -

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath
    the one glycine i owned was one of the best watches ive ever had
    Ditto - fantastic watch that I'd have happily owned for a long while had I not needed to make some room for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point

Glycine are an acquired taste that only a few seem to have acquired. And I would be wary of becoming an evangelical brand ambassador around here.
    Don't see the necessity for this - could be any number of reasons for spelling/grammatical errors in a post, and there's noting evangelical here. Way too harsh a response IMO.

I like the Airman 18. Reasonably sized case, and the 24-hr layout makes it special IMO. Most modern Glycines suffer from the huge case, tiny movement syndrome. I've no time for them :twisted:

Cheers

Stern

Got my first Glycine yesterday, thanks to Brucey and love it.

^
    Nice watch, still a huge case for the ole 2824 though :?

Yeah, but did you know that Glyine is French for Wisteria?

non jai pas entendu ca

Master

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK
    And did you know that Glycine is Swedish for "klockor man bär om man får ligga mycket" ..... :lol: :blackeye: :lol:

Blog Entries

Wow, not much else to be worried about when a misplaced 'h' and 'g' extracts such a comment ?
    maybe the OP is not British ???
    Furthermore, is this forum not the place for discussions on various brands ? (without reference to another brand being pushed here :evil: )

Probably 'bed, wrong side' applies today ?? :roll:

Any further south and i would have wet feet

I think Glycine do some good stuff.....for example..

Master

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath
    i really could not find anything to complain about in terms of quality of construction and finish on mine. that alone is remarkable in my book. also glycine dont tend to make anything too banal - they take risks with their designs, they are not scared of using a bit of colour and they tend to steer away from just churning out derivatives of other watch designs. they are quality but you dont get the idea you are paying over the odds just so they can maintain their brand image. theres alot to like about the brand.
    Couldn't agree more. Very well put, imho.

AP.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren

Wow, not much else to be worried about when a misplaced 'h' and 'g' extracts such a comment ?
    Furthermore, is this forum not the place for discussions on various brands ? (without reference to another brand being pushed here :evil: )

Don't think so, read through the Brazilian grand prix thread.....
    On topic ,I would love to try a pumpkin airman sometime..(spellckeck not working hope it's ok)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by nosher
    Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren

Don't think so, read through the Brazilian grand prix thread.....
    On topic ,I would love to try a pumpkin airman sometime..(spellckeck not working hope it's ok)
    Here's my pumpkin!

Go get one, they're really comfy watches, reasonable size too...

Cheers,

Erik

I lke Glycine designs. Never owned one yet but intend to one day. My only criticism is that most of their models are huge.
    Really like the Eugene Meylan and the Observer in particular.

regards,
    Nick

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo
    I lke Glycine designs. Never owned one yet but intend to one day. My only criticism is that most of their models are huge.
    Really like the Eugene Meylan and the Observer in particular.

regards,
    Nick
    Not all are huge... :)

Both the Airman, the Incursore and the Combat line up are available in different sizes. Their larger models are pretty thin so they don't wear that big IMO. Don't get scared off by the size and try one! :)

/erik

Glycine watches get a thumbs up from me, although not all the models appeal, but thats true of most of most other watch brands.

Martin

Had 3 and they were all nice watches, well made, accurate, nice to have in the collection for a bit of variety
    Also happy to support a small, family owned and run company with nice folks and some variety in the line up- different from say hundreds of different speedmaster designs that there must have been over the years?
    Can't see whats not to like myself, glad they're there doing their thing.
    Goat

Pinched from another thread but I loved my Lagunare...

............. and I still love mine

And did you know that Glycine is Swedish for "klockor man bär om man får ligga mycket" ..... :lol: :blackeye: :lol:
    :laughing3:

Didn't someone say that on last week's Wallander ? :)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by jobseeker
    Didn't someone say that on last week's Wallander ? :)
    They say it all the time on Wallander...and in other, eh, more "exotic" Swedish films...

:lol:

/erik

Craftsman

Great to share your positive experiences

And about the spelling and grammar. I´m swedish but I think most of you people can choose to understand my writing. Or not.

What I tried to get across was my really good experience with theese watches. And I obviously owned more than my share. And at the moment I think the second hand prices are quite low, surprisingly low in my book. So the message is that you can make a bargain and I would recommend them.

Here is a picture of my absolute personal favorite bought from Brucey.

Craftsman

Or a simple Incursore SAP

Another favorite

Craftsman

Re: Great to share your positive experiences

And about the spelling and grammar. I´m swedish but I think most of you people can choose to understand my writing. Or not.

What I tried to get across was my really good experience with theese watches. And I obviously owned more than my share. And at the moment I think the second hand prices are quite low, surprisingly low in my book. So the message is that you can make a bargain and I would recommend them.

BLACKJACK.....cool

Don't misunderstand - that's a fantastic looking watch, as is the preceding Incursore. I also like the Combat range. But the 24hr watches, along with some of their others just have too much going on for my liking. I could easily convince myself to buy a Combat (on a bracelet) - my mate Gary (Omegary) had one, and it's a great looking watch for the money, and well made. But I can't help feeling that I'd hesitate before hitting the "Buy Now" button and veer off in another direction.

Each to their own.

Ermapo: I apologise if I caused any you offence. Your English is infinitely better than my Swedish.

I'm mindful of the recent furore over another brand which shall remain nameless, when the approbation accorded to their offerings reached the level of a religious zeal and every thread about the brand finished in tears. And I'm also aware that Glycine operate at a similar price band to our benefactor's ranges. What we don't need is another brand-related scrap so soon after the last one.

Regards

Ian
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Journeyman

I no longer need to save up for a Panerai to use the cool PAM straps
    :P

I like the fact that you have to be a bit of a watch aficionado to like or perhaps even to have heard of Glycine. Plus, a bit like Hamilton, they don't seem overpriced for what you get.

Another fan of Glycine here :D

I see them as really good value and well made watches.

Cheers,
    Chris.

Grand Master

I'm mindful of the recent furore over another brand which shall remain nameless, when the approbation accorded to their offerings reached the level of a religious zeal and every thread about the brand finished in tears. And I'm also aware that Glycine operate at a similar price band to our benefactor's ranges. What we don't need is another brand-related scrap so soon after the last one.
    Loads of evangelical posts around here about Omega and Submariner. No-one posting them ever feels worried that it might kick off and no-one would dare call it evangelical. It's not about the behaviour, but the brand.

Also, Glycine's cheapest automatic is about £450, but even if it was cheaper, should the fact that it overlaps with Timefactors watches give cause for concern? No. If it did, a more WIS-acceptable brand like Seiko would have been all but banned by now.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Craftsman

No har fellings Backward, and...

I apreciate your aplogy.

Loke, nice Lagunare. Looks a bit familiare. Is it perhapse Denkes former beater?

Master

Re: No har fellings Backward, and...

I apreciate your aplogy.

Loke, nice Lagunare. Looks a bit familiare. Is it perhapse Denkes former beater?
    I believe it's my "old" one (even if Loke did'nt get it from me), shame on you Loke, showing it off like that made me miss it... :twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Looks really good on that brown leather!

/Erik

I like the Airman & the Combat Sub
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Journeyman

I apreciate your aplogy.

I believe it's my "old" one (even if Loke did'nt get it from me), shame on you Loke, showing it off like that made me miss it... :twisted:

/Erik
    Hehe, aye it is. I have owned a few before but they never felt right until i got this one. It is truly a "keeper"
    Have to say I am sorry for the incursore i sold you a few years ago that exploded, LOL, remember?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Loke
    I apreciate your aplogy.

/Erik
    Hehe, aye it is. I have owned a few before but they never felt right until i got this one. It is truly a "keeper"
    Have to say I am sorry for the incursore i sold you a few years ago that exploded, LOL, remember?
    How could I ever forget... :lol:

There's even a thread about it somewhere on here I think...classic! :D

/erik

Master

Quite rare:

12 on top:

Master

And it is also an amino acid, IIRC!