closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: question for restoration

question for restoration

Hello all,

Something just come up in my mind while checking some of my watches...

Recently acquired a mil watch that has a very long history of services in the army.

I do know that the handset has been changed while there is no centre sweep second when I bought it anf I thought that I shold replace the handset and perfect the watch, restore it back to its former condition.

The seller told me that the watch is inherited from his father who also served in the army during WWW.

That "incorrect" hand set has been with this watch for 50 years and now my question is whether I should replace the handset? back to its original style or just leave it as the hand set is there for such a long time. Seems this incorrect hand set has been part of this watch.

Any one can share your view and opinion about this?? Do know that it really depends..

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Hans

Craftsman

Re: question for restoration

A picture would help Hans?

Terry

Master

I second that.

Br,

AP.

Hi Hans,
    Just my 2 cents.
    Generally speaking a military watch is considered as genuine when it is as original as possible. When one buys one, different from original, adapted to the circumstances of the era ( which are difficult to prove), it might be that fellow collectors would not take over its "history" and therefore consider the watch as a franken or marriage. In that case this special watch is only very meaningfull to you and not to anybody else. I can imagine that such thing could happen if one gets a watch from his father, uncle or brother, who served in an army, with all the memory's etc.. But in general : original is the best.
    Kind regards,
    Adrian.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by avdm
    Hi Hans,
    Just my 2 cents.
    Generally speaking a military watch is considered as genuine when it is as original as possible. When one buys one, different from original, adapted to the circumstances of the era ( which are difficult to prove), it might be that fellow collectors would not take over its "history" and therefore consider the watch as a franken or marriage. In that case this special watch is only very meaningfull to you and not to anybody else. I can imagine that such thing could happen if one gets a watch from his father, uncle or brother, who served in an army, with all the memory's etc.. But in general : original is the best.
    Kind regards,
    Adrian.
    Indeed. As an example, watches to spec. GG-W-113 are quite collectable. But this Hamilton is probably only of interest to me as one of my first "restorations" - about the only original parts left being the re-lumed dial and the case!

On the other hand, this Marathon is in pristine condition and is all-original - highly sought-after these days.

Thomas Reid

Even issued gear sometimes gets repaired with available material, not all of which comes from the ordinary supply channels. (Or at least that's what I understand from experience and reading.) So, it could even be that putting on the "correct" hands undermines the authenticity of the watch as worn in service.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    Even issued gear sometimes gets repaired with available material, not all of which comes from the ordinary supply channels. (Or at least that's what I understand from experience and reading.) So, it could even be that putting on the "correct" hands undermines the authenticity of the watch as worn in service.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Which brings us to "provenance" - a word much used on the U.S. "Antiques Roadshow" (basically it means proven history). So, in terms of Market value, "wrong" hands = less value unless the watch came with, e.g., a contemporary service record saying "replaced hands with [specific description]" and dated 1940 or whenever, in which case = more value.

I read somewhere that a bunch of watches were lumed or or re-dialed by a Service most horribly but they were still genuine issued watches!

Don't wish to hijack the OP's thread, so I'll make this quick - can anyone restore this Stowa for me?

I realise it is not cost-efficient to do so, but the watch has a lot of sentimental value.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega
    Don't wish to hijack the OP's thread, so I'll make this quick - can anyone restore this Stowa for me?

I realise it is not cost-efficient to do so, but the watch has a lot of sentimental value.

Should be quite possible to do a dial restoration and case refurb./polish on your watch and I know a N. London watchmaker who could probably do it - but he would send the dial away for restoration. But, some collectors might frown at the prospect of the dial being restored ... and is a matter of personal taste as to how far to go with a case refurb. The same watchmaker could probably overhaul/service the movement subject to examination and parts availability ... and he can make parts too. If interested I can PM you the watchmaker's details ... his charges are reasonable.

West End Watch Co. is still in business http://www.westendwatchco.ch/

Cheers

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega

Many thanks for the pm dunk - sounds just the ticket. :)

Master

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Absolutely, imho. I agree Bob.
    Sometimes it's hard to know what is really authentic, depending on the criteria...

AP.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Which brings us to "provenance" - a word much used on the U.S. "Antiques Roadshow" (basically it means proven history). So, in terms of Market value, "wrong" hands = less value unless the watch came with, e.g., a contemporary service record saying "replaced hands with [specific description]" and dated 1940 or whenever, in which case = more value.

I read somewhere that a bunch of watches were lumed or or re-dialed by a Service most horribly but they were still genuine issued watches!
    Very interesting and makes much sense. I've even seen mil watches with lume scratched off carefully from the indicies (radium). I To me, this makes sense and is part of the watch's history (and is 'healthier'!, though I don't know what happened to the scratched-off radium...)

AP.