closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What can I expect from a full Omega Service?

What can I expect from a full Omega Service?

Omega seem pretty clear on their website that a full maintenance service does:

http://www.omegawatches.com/customer-se ... ce-service

While my SMP is away feeling the love at Omega UK I've been reading accounts from various people about Omega Service replacing various items during Services. Given the cost of the service is close to 25% of the retail when it was new, and that Jewellers have a hefty mark-up, I'm hopeful my watch will appear fairly new when it comes back; certainly that seems to be the case from Bienne. Presumably though a full maintenance service should be fairly standard at any main Omega service centre and as described at the website above?

What's your experience with the UK - did they do more than you were expecting? What didn't they do that you hoped they might address?

Simon

Re: What can I expect from a full Omega Service?

You'll get a movement service, some light case work, probably crystal replacement, gasket change & pressure check from memory

I'm sure if they advise that any parts including dial and hands need replacing, they will do so after consultation with you, at extra cost of course.

Colin.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Simes123

While my SMP is away feeling the love at Omega UK I've been reading accounts from various people about Omega Service replacing various items during Services.
    And you STILL sent it to them? :shock: You're brave...
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by andrew

While my SMP is away feeling the love at Omega UK I've been reading accounts from various people about Omega Service replacing various items during Services.
    And you STILL sent it to them? :shock: You're brave...
    I'm not sure what you mean - I'm hopeful that for the crazy price of servicing, that they replace absolutely anything required to bring it up to new standards! I'm also hopeful for consistent standards of Omega Service worldwide. ie, anything that they'd do at Bienne, they'd do in the UK. I'd expect nothing less in fact - that's why I bought a quality watch. If buying a quality brand doesn't get me that level of service, I may as well not have bothered paying the premium. I didn't buy it for prestige factor - but for quality. I'm sure there are some who buy for the name, but I'd think most enthusiasts bought for what's behind the name hence the dissing of the fashion brands...

Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr
    I'm sure if they advise that any parts including dial and hands need replacing, they will do so after consultation with you, at extra cost of course.

Colin.
    That's probably one of the areas I was hopeful for inclusion - I'm sure the Lume isn't as strong now, and I wondered if at a certain point, they'd replace or sort. The other is the bezel - all though in good condition, it may have faded somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by shellscript
    You'll get a movement service, some light case work, probably crystal replacement, gasket change & pressure check from memory
    Crystal is good, bezel a bit faded. I suppose given that people seem to get bags of bits back, I was wondering what bits they commonly replace FOC.

Grand Master

I'm not sure what you mean - I'm hopeful that for the crazy price of servicing, that they replace absolutely anything required to bring it up to new standards! I'm also hopeful for consistent standards of Omega Service worldwide. ie, anything that they'd do at Bienne, they'd do in the UK. I'd expect nothing less in fact - that's why I bought a quality watch. If buying a quality brand doesn't get me that level of service, I may as well not have bothered paying the premium. I didn't buy it for prestige factor - but for quality. I'm sure there are some who buy for the name, but I'd think most enthusiasts bought for what's behind the name hence the dissing of the fashion brands...
    Only that Omega's UK servicing has come in for a lot of stick recently - 16-18 weeks for warranty repairs, let alone routine servicing, with question marks over restoration of water resistance and no novation of the warranty period, not to mention poor customer communication and a clear lack of coordination with their dealer network. There is certainly no consistency globally - disabuse yourself of that notion unless you value disappointment :shock:. For a watch brand that has so much goodwill associated with it, expectations are very high - and it doesn't look like they're being met.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master

Anyone on here service Omegas?
    Esp Leics/Notts area?

You can expect to be wearing a different watch, for some time :P

Craftsman

Apparently depends on who you ask, and what they are supposed to know.

:D :drunken: :mrgreen:

Do yourself a favor and call Omega Bienne direct and speak to: Mrs. Muriel Peyer-Gaillard at +41323439211 and ask her all the questions you have. If not her, Patrick Strasser - Service Dept. Manager, and if not him the VP & Int'l Sales Director Raynald Aeschlimann, who oversees all of Service Dept. functions.

These people are actual Omega Bienne/HQ employees, are good people, and know precisely what the "deal" is currently.

Good Luck!

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr

Colin.
    That's probably one of the areas I was hopeful for inclusion - I'm sure the Lume isn't as strong now, and I wondered if at a certain point, they'd replace or sort. The other is the bezel - all though in good condition, it may have faded somewhat.
    For the last watch I had with Omega (US, but should be the same) a new handset and crystal (hesalite) was included in the standard prize. Change of dial, bezel (or a sapphire crystal) would be extra. The extra prize for a dial/bezel was lower than the price I could have bought it myself from Ofrei/Cousins, but not by a large amount.

Master
    What can I expect from a full Omega Service?
    A much lighter wallet.

Master

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by DeusIrae
    A much lighter wallet.
    :lol: :lol:

Craftsman

While my SMP is away feeling the love at Omega UK I've been reading accounts from various people about Omega Service replacing various items during Services. Given the cost of the service is close to 25% of the retail when it was new, and that Jewellers have a hefty mark-up, I'm hopeful my watch will appear fairly new when it comes back; certainly that seems to be the case from Bienne. Presumably though a full maintenance service should be fairly standard at any main Omega service centre and as described at the website above?

What's your experience with the UK - did they do more than you were expecting? What didn't they do that you hoped they might address?

Simon
    Hi Simon ... I recently sent in my Seamaster Omatic for service and hand replacement because I could not see them in poor light. After a couple of weeks or so I received a written quote asking what work I wanted to go ahead with.
    This is what they are going to do ..

Dismantling of movement, cleaning, oiling, assembling, tuning of the precision and check of the function of the movement.
    Repair or replacement of worn or damaged movement parts.
    Replacement of the hands, if necessary (hands included except special hands or hands in precious metal which are invoiced separately).

Replacement of crystal, tube, crown, pushbuttons, helium escape valve, gaskets, battery if necessary (parts included except special mineral glass or sapphire crystal and precious metal parts which are invoiced separately).
    Restoration of water-resistance with above mentioned parts.
    Refurbishment of case and metal bracelet (polishing, satin-finishing).
    Cleaning (washing) of case and metal bracelet.
    Technical and aesthetical final check.

So my hands will be replaced free of charge .. BUT .. they do charge for the dial .. that is NOT free.

Also I have had a telephone call chasing me up on this quote as I had not replied due to not being in the country. I had asked for emails of all the letters but it seems that communication within their department is not the best .. The gent that called me, although helpful, was not the same person I had been emailing and also could not tell me off the top of his head what was included in the full service.
    However at least I got a call .. and the quoted price for this work was 175 pounds which is not a ridiculous amount considering all the work they are going to do and that I will get a 2 yr warranty. ( I know I can have it done cheaper .. but I sent it there for the hands )

Anyway .. hope that's a bit of useful info for you .. and also for others wanting to know more news about Omega UK service quality.

Of course the unknown factor is ,, WHEN .... will I get the watch back :mrgreen: ......... Watch this space !!

Thought I'd give an update as I've just collected it.

So, I collected it at the 6 week point, but it was ready on Tues, so 5.5 weeks or thereabouts. Quite reasonable. Cost £280. Watch came back in a nice red Omega travel case, and was completely wrapped in soft protective plastic. Case has been refinished to a high standard - as new. Crystal was fine before, so no change I'd think. It looks like the winding crown and helium crown have been replaced - they look new. The hands look like they might be new. The bezel appears to be the original insert (I was expecting that after other discussions, but to be fair, now that the watch is clean and shiny like new, the bezel insert looks fine - I can only see the tiniest mark on it from before, and only on very close inspection). Very pleased indeed with the speed and quality of service. Bit expensive, but when the watch basically looks like a new one, with same quality of finish as it had on day one, I don't mind so much. Basically cost me nothing - well, £70 worth of Tesco vouchers.

Happy man! Based on this experience, I'd have no worries about using Omega UK via Goldsmiths.

Simon

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by deepelem

Simon
    Hi Simon ... I recently sent in my Seamaster Omatic for service and hand replacement because I could not see them in poor light. After a couple of weeks or so I received a written quote asking what work I wanted to go ahead with.
    This is what they are going to do ..

Dismantling of movement, cleaning, oiling, assembling, tuning of the precision and check of the function of the movement.
    Repair or replacement of worn or damaged movement parts.
    Replacement of the hands, if necessary (hands included except special hands or hands in precious metal which are invoiced separately).

Replacement of crystal, tube, crown, pushbuttons, helium escape valve, gaskets, battery if necessary (parts included except special mineral glass or sapphire crystal and precious metal parts which are invoiced separately).
    Restoration of water-resistance with above mentioned parts.
    Refurbishment of case and metal bracelet (polishing, satin-finishing).
    Cleaning (washing) of case and metal bracelet.
    Technical and aesthetical final check.

So my hands will be replaced free of charge .. BUT .. they do charge for the dial .. that is NOT free.

Also I have had a telephone call chasing me up on this quote as I had not replied due to not being in the country. I had asked for emails of all the letters but it seems that communication within their department is not the best .. The gent that called me, although helpful, was not the same person I had been emailing and also could not tell me off the top of his head what was included in the full service.
    However at least I got a call .. and the quoted price for this work was 175 pounds which is not a ridiculous amount considering all the work they are going to do and that I will get a 2 yr warranty. ( I know I can have it done cheaper .. but I sent it there for the hands )

Anyway .. hope that's a bit of useful info for you .. and also for others wanting to know more news about Omega UK service quality.

Of course the unknown factor is ,, WHEN .... will I get the watch back :mrgreen: ......... Watch this space !!
    Update time: Omega telephoned me to say the watch is ready ... unfortunately I am out of country so will not see it until new year. But total time for turnaround was around 6-7 weeks. My cost was 175 pounds including replacement hands. Can't wait to see it .. :-)