timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SC Locked..?

Master

Re: SC Locked..?

Quote Originally Posted by JDB
    Has anybody warned Roy Taylor?
    I think TWF has gone down already, but it always does that when there's more than 12 users on. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab
    Quote Originally Posted by JDB
    Has anybody warned Roy Taylor?
    I think TWF has gone down already, but it always does that when there's more than 12 users on. :)
    :lol: :lol:

maddiaz

:lol:

Waited until this happens...

I hope this thread does not turn into a thread moaning about SC being locked because or moaning otherwise Eddie might lock watch talk too.

Do miss it 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Mi Shu
    Good move Eddie. :)

Quick! Somebody tell Vicky that her account's been hacked!
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMilts
    I hope this thread does not turn into a thread moaning about SC being locked because or moaning otherwise Eddie might lock watch talk too.

+1, board talking about it tbh

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by maddiaz
    Need a new diver! What now :shock:
    Use the WTB forum simple really.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey
    Sales corner needs a revamp, it should not allow a reply, just an advert if you want the item PM the seller or phone them. That should stop the dribble and reduce the traffic and would cut some peoples posts by 90% with their dull 'Oh thats nice' and 'that wont be around long' lines.
    My thoughts exactly

Sales corner needs a revamp, it should not allow a reply, just an advert if you want the item PM the seller or phone them. That should stop the dribble and reduce the traffic and would cut some peoples posts by 90% with their dull 'Oh thats nice' and 'that wont be around long' lines.
    Perfect solution and no need for any moderation - well said!
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock
    Perfect solution and no need for any moderation - well said!
    Sound's like a good plan, let's run with that from Sat morning :)

Grand Master

I would love to see it happen for good reason, the adverts would then appear in chronological order and be easy to find. The point of sales corner is to make a sale, it really does not need constant bumps and comments just the details, a picture, and maybe contact details.

Adverts without pictures could be edited later. Just one advert, one post, by one seller.....simples
    RIAC

Craftsman

I though the SC was fine as was. I enjoyed it, like I do with the other sections on this site.

If you've no interest in an ad then don't click it and maybe you won't feel the urge to whinge about it too! If someone offers you Ł5 less than you think your watch is worth, just say no next time instead of acting like they've just tried to kill your kids and running off ranting to everyone about it etc etc etc...... It's not hard!

No idea why some people get so worked up about posts on the SC and create so much hassle.

I had missed this topic and was wondering what rule had I broken to be locked out of the SC :mrgreen: !! I even checked if I had more activity in the SC than any other part of the forum but no... Last stage of paranoia was "Maybe it's my user name??" :drunken:

Master

I was always quite anti because there is some interesting discussion in SC threads but sadly the sales corner vigilantes probably mean it's the only way to go...

Edit to actually include the quote the post I was responding to :roll:

Totally disagree. For me, I loved browsing through SC and posting my thoughts when I saw some great watches. There are forums like you lot describe....called WUS and Timezone. This was meant to be a forum without moderation yet you are now suggesting a SC with rules. A SC about the cold hard sell. So what if I wanted to tell someone they were selling a lovely watch? So what if I wanted to comment that I'd buy the watch if I were rich? It's friendly and good natured and it shows I'm not here as a watch trader.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian
    Totally disagree. For me, I loved browsing through SC and posting my thoughts when I saw some great watches. There are forums like you lot describe....called WUS and Timezone. This was meant to be a forum without moderation yet you are now suggesting a SC with rules. A SC about the cold hard sell. So what if I wanted to tell someone they were selling a lovely watch? So what if I wanted to comment that I'd buy the watch if I were rich? It's friendly and good natured and it shows I'm not here as a watch trader.
    +1 (but happy the rest of the site is still up and running)

Hmmm...there is now a gap in the market for a UK based friendly sales corner bulletin board without moderation. One where trusted well known watch enthusiasts could buy, sell, trade and flip watches where people are free to comment at will. :wink:

Joking. :D

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMilts

Do miss it 8)

excellent,the irony of this thread does seem to be lost on a few :?

cheers,mick

Tend to agree with you Christian, plus I like the way that iffy watches get openly questioned by members - stops clueless buyers getting ripped off.

Christian I agree with you because it is always a vote of confidence to those who are new or have little experience about a particular model when someone endorses a good price, nice watch or even a trusted member. If the price is too high or the watch is poor then mostly there will be few comments and the seller will just keep bumping their post.

Keep the SC as it was and if you don't like it then don't use this part of this great forum!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by vikkyrob
    Christian I agree with you because it is always a vote of confidence to those who are new or have little experience about a particular model when someone endorses a good price, nice watch or even a trusted member. If the price is too high or the watch is poor then mostly there will be few comments and the seller will just keep bumping their post.

Keep the SC as it was and if you don't like it then don't use this part of this great forum!

All very well, but this sort of thing has been going on as long as I have been a member of TZ.

As long as people insist on posting negative comments to threads on SC, merited or not, then you will inevitably get arguments and moaning.

We are all grown adults, we can all see a SC post has no pictures or can work out that a watch is over-priced or was sold last week for Ł100s less or whatever.

This is not the first time SC has been suspended. Something has to change.

Hmmm...there is now a gap in the market for a UK based friendly sales corner bulletin board without moderation. One where trusted well known watch enthusiasts could buy, sell, trade and flip watches where people are free to comment at will. :wink:

Joking. :D
    Tempting...

DonkeyDavesWatchEmporium dot com

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seems a shame that a few muppets have spoiled it for the rest of us, can't say I blame Eddie for removing the privilege though.

Always visit SC a couple of times a day just to have a look at the watches that are about - reckon it's a bit like pressing your nose against a Lambo/Ferrari dealership's window :love10: and just enjoying looking at them

................and obviously sometimes it's like stumbling into Arfur Daleys yard :lol:

Fingers crossed it comes back.

So it happens that I'd been thinking about SC corner recently. I don't think there's any doubt that it is a key attraction of TZ-UK, but I don't believe that the bulletin board format is ideal for a sales board.

I've been wondering if there is any software that could better run SC, whilst integrating with the personal reputation that is obviously a strength of this community. It would be nice if comments were allowed, but did not bump sales. A better search would be useful (try finding an X-33 at the moment), as would some sort of categorisation of goods, plus removing items once they have been sold.

Maybe this is an opportunity to improve SC?

Duncan

Thomas Reid

Quote Originally Posted by Chartman69
    Has Eddie posted 'why' anywhere or are we all guessing the reason ?

In passim.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by dmcg
    So it happens that I'd been thinking about SC corner recently. I don't think there's any doubt that it is a key attraction of TZ-UK, but I don't believe that the bulletin board format is ideal for a sales board.

I've been wondering if there is any software that could better run SC, whilst integrating with the personal reputation that is obviously a strength of this community. It would be nice if comments were allowed, but did not bump sales. A better search would be useful (try finding an X-33 at the moment), as would some sort of categorisation of goods, plus removing items once they have been sold.

Duncan
    +1!!

Craftsman

Great. SC corner on TZ-UK is locked and TWF is on its arse.

Somebody better warn the govt that their binge drinking statistics are about to go through the roof !

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

What is sales corner? Is that where all the knob jockeys gather and post a price?
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Master

Quote Originally Posted by dmcg

Duncan
    While I agree with some of the points you're making - I don't think that this type of improvements are the reason for the suspension. I think Eddie probably already has more than enough for the community on here, it's up to us to make it work - somehow.

Craftsman

Tough one this with no easy answer. Eddie obviously had enough and who can blame him as I imagine the amount of pm's or even phonecalls dealing with 'issues' must have been a real PITA.

What I liked about the sc was that i got educated about watches while building up picture of what was value and what wasn't. I was especially thankful to the more knowledgeable posters who flagged suspect watches or suspect people and saved me and others from a lot of heartache and losing a lot of money. This was only achieved by allowing comments. I personally don't have any problem with 'nice watch' or 'have a bump on me' comments. At the end of the day it's harmless.

But then you had thoughtless commentators who openly slagged off watches, or questioned the price and generally p*ssdd on threads and despite this being very clearly being flagged as not acceptable these type of comments continued and even increased. Then there were the profiteers who brazenly thought that tzuk was a ripe picking ground for cheap watches to then flog on eBay. Now I fully accept that once a watch is sold the seller was happy with the price achieved and the buyer has the choice to do whatever they want to do with the watch but profiteering left a bad taste in the mouth.
    Then there were the minty vs it's anything but minty arguments. Obviously some people had no regard for their fellow tzuk'ers and lied about the condition of watches. All of the above meant that a minority of wasters were and now are ruining it for the rest of us.

But how do we fix it. Moderation goes against eddies ethos but it might be needed. Close the sc permanently? This is a watch forum after all not eBay, but then that in all likelihood would damage timefactors the business. Up the post count significantly before you can even see these? Ban comments on sale threads? Bring it back after a while and hope that the wasters have copped on? Impose new rules like no negative comments or no questioning prices.? They all have their plusses and minuses but only eddie can decide.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Maybe if you don't like it you shouldn't use it.

At the end of the day we live in a free Market economy. No one is forced to spend money, no one is forced to sell. In the end a seller will only sell for "their price" and a buyer won't spend more than their price. When I buy from sc I don't think:

"I hope the seller is not making money off me"

I only consider what I feel is a fair price. And when I buy I will have achieved that, or I won't deal. It's simple isnt it?

No one here is a charity, and no one will spend more than they want to.

Come on guys.

Also, I have sold here and then immediatky seen the watch up for more money else where. I didn't mind at all. I sold for a price I was happy with, and once money has changed hands it is not my business. This is the real world and I accepted that as part of how it works.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Oh and for the record:

Eddie, I thought sales corner was great at it was and you should simply ban any member who winges about it.

They should all MAN UP!

Craftsman

You see just saying 'if you don't like it then don't use it' might be fine for sensible types like you and me' but it doesn't deal with the lowest common denominator types who can't engage brain before commenting or do so maliciously and then it all kicks off again .......

I also defend the free market and I too have seen some of my watches up for sale very quickly after for more money. It never bothered me'. While the new seller has every right to do this it leaves a bad taste in the mouth and inevitably complaints and arguments and it all kicked off again....

This hassle with sc has been ongoing now for a few years and getting worse. How do we the membership propose to solve the problems we have so that eddie doesn't have a problem and the sc comes back?

Ps saying man up obviously wasn't and isn't enough as we have too many 'brave men' who sit behind computers and throw electronic stones and don't thinkabout anyone or anything else

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jrpippen
    no one will spend more than they want to.
    Temptation makes us all spend more than we 'want' to. The key is not to spend more than we can 'afford' to.

Tis a fine line, but one many people tread very close to. Like any hobby, it can become an obsession.

SC was great, but for now we shall have to do without it. I've had a great night on the Film Quiz and spent nothing :D

Craftsman

Bloody hell Eddie - what have you done

look everyone is writing full page essay's about life the universe and everthing

the right on's - wow's and nice pic have suddenly got fingers to opperate

their keyboards, its amazing - you wil have to do this more often.

Turn the sound up and kick back and relaz guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR8logunPzQ

Life is like a fridge , you only get out what you put in !
    Blog Entries

Eddie has done this a few times in my membership,it's like a slap of a reality check When folks start taking things for granted and whining, Eddie has provided the members with a superb Market place to buy sell and trade watches, his time and his money.

I am not surprised he's peed off. I hope the punishment can be eased when he feels lessons have bee learned.

Ian

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by vikkyrob

What you probably dont appreciate about the endorsing comments are that theres a large percentage that are written by friends of the seller, the remainder are by someone who owns the same watch and wants to keep the perceived value high for when they sell it!!

I always enjoy Christians posts but on this occasion I must disagree, the rest of the forum is the place for chat and theres are several boards to do it on but Sales Corner, in my humble opinion, should be a 'one post' place. If anything that is a bit 'iffy' appears on it then there will be a hundred or so clicks on 'report this post' and it will be gone.
    RIAC

It does seem that the simple solution would be to apply rules (as opposed to moderation - important difference) such as those you see elsewhere. The obvious ones, as already mentioned, would be no comments other than by the OP/seller; and no more than one bump per day. It would change the nature of SC - for better or worse would depend on your personal POV - but it would eliminate some of the problems that we're experiencing of late. Of course, it would also require that people stop slagging off sales posts in the Bear Pit, which is actually what forced Eddie's hand so far as I can tell.

My own feeling is that closing SC is a great pity, and something of a loss to many of us who use it regularly. I hope it returns, perhaps with some tweaks as to how it's used, sooner rather than later.

Banned
    Blog Entries

The suggestions for rules are all valid but it does seem a little pedantic to me. Even if a watch is constantly at the top spot with comments and bumps does that really make you buy it? I don't understand how an individual who may be a potential buyer could be duped by such a simple ploy. Surely you guys research prices before buying, I know I do.

Watches being sold on for more money is a non issue. If you get the hump with this you sold for too little, and that's your issue. That's how I see it when it happens to me. Next you will want wrapping up in cotton wool!!!

I will miss sales corner. I'm not amrich man and I dont have the funds to buy and own a large collection of fine watches. Eddie provided an environment where it became possible to buy and flip without the faf of eBay and now many of us have had that taken away because some (it seems to mr) expect to be protected some how from making a bum deal, or somehow being influenced to spend money by multiple bumps. I just don't get it.

Surely if an item is getting bull shit bumps that makes it look a bit worse? However, I've recently listed an Otis and I took some pics of it on my rifle because thought it may get a couple of comments, which it has. It stayed on page1 which is why I hoped. It has no made anyone offer me loads of money for it. That's just a little bit of marketing isn't it?

It just seems silly to me. Are we not all adults? It's hardly insider trading or bed and breakfasting, is it!

Master

...I've recently listed an Otis...
    Well, that's given me a lift! :laughing5:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Can't edit from the bloody iPhone properly. I must get used to tapatalk I suppose.

Glad it gave you a . . .rise!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RaulGonzalez
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy
    I'm just very grateful he hasn't switched the whole thing off: this place is far more than just a sales platform for me and many other members and so some 'time out' (hopefully just some) will give those who caused this some time for reflection.

:cry:

R
    +1

Although unfortunately these events seem to follow the same pattern again again. I just hope that people learn this time and let TZ thrive because its the best watch forum on the net.
    Agreed.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I still think a swift and final ban for anyone who complains would sort it. It's those guys who have caused this with pathetic moaning. Ban them!!!

I'm on sc 3-4 times a day, more when I'm listing something and I'd not noticed any problems. Unless of course it's me making people spend money with bumps! ( still don't understand this new way of defrauding but I'm only an RAF grunt afterall!)

Master

Massive shame, I have bought and sold several watched on SC and probably look on there quite a few times a day.

For me its quite an aspirational place where there is actually a chance of me buying something nice for less than I can get it elsewhere and might actually be able to afford. Surely having a naughty puppy smack on the nose makes less sense than putting in some sort of restrictions or moderation?

I know there are problems but I also see a lot of thanks and praise for Eddie on there, really wouldn't be hard to sort it out (if indeed it really needs sorting out?)

Are there any other watch communities that have sales sections?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by golfg60
    I need a my sc fix I'm sweating bad :lol: :lol: :lol:
    me to :D how about putting up a list of the addresses of serial moaners on here and local lads can go at beat them up 8)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redmond
    me to :D how about putting up a list of the addresses of serial moaners on here and local lads can go at beat them up 8)
    I'm up for that.

If you can get them a couple of replica fire arms, get them beers up and drop them at any military base main gate they will probably get shot!

(I edited this to prevent incriminating myself should this wonderful opportunity arise!)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by redmond
    I'm up for that.

If you can get them a couple of replica fire arms, get them beerd up and drop them at RAF northolt main gate in January I can shoot the &&&&ers!!
    replica panerai would be a better choice :D

Banned
    Blog Entries

Well technically if you dived with it it could endanger human life, and if selling it there could be no other reasonable way to remove the danger!

but I'm only an RAF grunt afterall!
    Rockape? :wink:

I'm very disappointed by this and will certainly be a less frequent visitor while it's closed. I'm not a WIS and although I do contribute to the other sections my watch interest/hobby was generally based around looking at and buying/selling items on SC.