closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Polish AF watch?

Polish AF watch?

Does anyone know wether there is a particular watch associated with the Polish squadrons/airmen who flew with the RAF after Poland surrendered :?:

My interest:-

My Father flew as Radio op /midupper gunner in Polish squadrons 1940-1941 -they had to have a native "English speaking" radio op in those days, dunno why 'cos my dad couldn't speak Polish :!:

Craftsman
    Chris,

I'm no expert in WWII wrist watches but there is reference to RAF wrist watches being issued to Polish Air Force squadrons serving with the RAF.

Z.M. Wesolowski's (Ziggy's) "A Concise Guide To Military Timepeices" Page 104 shows a 1940 Omega 6B/159 supposedly marked P.A.F. On Page 17 of the same book, Polish Air Force Issue Marks are listed e.g.

/|\
    6B/159
    A12696
    P.A.F.

Ziggy would be your man for more detailed information. Try posting on MWR, I believe Ziggy looks in every now and again. Perhaps Foggy may be able to offer more info.

Good luck,

Terry

p.s. I think you can get a copy of Ziggy's book from Anchor Supplies. It's a must for reference to military watches.

Grand Master
    I have been keeping my eyes open for precisely such information, Chris, but I have found nothing in the past two years or so (my wife is Polish, hence my interest).
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    I have been keeping my eyes open for precisely such information, Chris, but I have found nothing in the past two years or so (my wife is Polish, hence my interest).
    The crew that my Father flew with were extremely brave men, and selfless too.

Their last act, after being shot down and captured during the Bremen raids, was to ensure that the SS unit that made the "arrest" knew that my Father was RAF, English and not Polish! they knew what was going to happen next. :(

My Father spent the next four years as a POW, the rest of the crew were shot/executed on the spot :cry:

Grand Master
    A heck of a memory that must be
    My Dad was a wartime REME Captain
    I wont be filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, I am not a number, I am a free man, my life is my own!!!
    Be seeing you
    Toodle pip
    Griff.

Quote Originally Posted by Griff
    A heck of a memory that must be
    My Dad was a wartime REME Captain
    He was 18 at the time, he's only just started to talk about it :(