closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I want a Vectra VXR Estate - am I mad???

I want a Vectra VXR Estate - am I mad???

Guys,
    Further to my previous thread (which fun estate car) I will soon be in the market for a replacement car (loss of company one.... grrr) and have been toying with a few cars inc Skoda VXR estate and Mondeo Titanium X Sport estate.
    However, I keep being drawn to the Vetra VXR, had thought of the 150bhp SRI CDTi - but just kind of like the idea of a 280bhp estate :twisted:

I remember the curly-haired-one from topcog doing a review of the Vecra VXR and saying it was rubbish compared to the Mazda MPS and something else.

Is it really as bad as Clarkson made out?

Are they fun to drive?

Am I completely mad for even considering this???? :drunken: :shock:

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Re: I want a Vectra VXR Estate - am I mad???

I'm part way through the process of getting shot of a 3.2 V6 Vectra, (long story...) and have had a run in a VXR.
    The VXR is pretty swift in a straight line, but TBH even the post 07 models that had a few tweaks, aren't great handling vehicles on the twisty stuff. It'll like a drink as well, so depending how your fuel is funded that may be something to consider, although with a manual 'box and a light foot you should be able to see late twenties, early thirties on a run. The autobox AF33 has some well documented and expensive issues with it, (Google AF33 +vectra +problems), and although I'm honestly not sure if you could spec a VXR with an auto, I'd be steering clear if I came across one. On the plus side, both the estate and hatch have very decent sized luggage areas and the V6's give near silent cruising on the motorway. Nice Recaros too :)

I'd personally give it a miss.
    drivethedeal.com have Octavia VRS deisels with a 20% saving - about £16k all done.

Im currently in n Insignia - not he estate - but the hatch cdti sri.
    It goes very very well - nice torque - returning 55mpg too!
    Now - i seem to recall that What Car had the estate as one of their own cars that they run for a year? Sorry - i think it was Autocar - in black the Insignia estate looks like a 5 series - the one i have handles and feels like a 5 series - without the stupid price tag either.
    I like Vauxhall cars overall - good value, and nice designs compared to Ford.

Some very good deals on the VXR Insignia just now - circa £24k from a Vauxhall main agent (list is around £32k) :)

325BHP, 4x4, lots of toys - what's not to like?

Master

VXR estate... hmmm, driven one and yes they are fast on the straight but the fuel consumption :shock: :shock: Road tax £425 per year

On a seperate note the wife has a Mazda 3 MPS which is 260bhp and that can drink if you have a heavy right foot but on a run it is pretty good = 35mpg+

What about the 6 MPS if fuel and road tax are not a concern? Very subtle, very quick, very well equiped and handle well, a real stealth mobile or wolf in sheeps clothing.

If you are willing to compromise I would opt for a Octavia VRS estate 2.0tdi and 170bhp OR a new shape Mazda 6 sport, 2.2d 180bhp and decent mpg / low tax. Other than that you are into BMW and audi's with V6 diesel lumps, the 330d and 335d are amazing in terms of grunt and MPG.

Paul

Another vote for the Mazda 6 Sport Estate - had mine for a few months now, plenty of toys - flies like the wind (more torque than the Audi 2.7 TDI) and with 5500 miles on the clock its averaging 40.9 mpg (and I do not hang around) :)
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Grand Master

Yes very mad....the Bentley Continental GT is so much better,ok only 2 doors i admit and so a little awkward for your rear seat passengers to get in and out!,but who would give a flying wotsit!.

Master

I dunno, I tend to think that for normal-ish legal-ish driving, 200 bhp is enough, at least for an average size car. I used to have a Jag XJR, and while it was lovely and the surge was awesome, it didn't really go much faster than my current Octavia VRS (other than at the sort of speeds you don't admit to doing 8) ).

There is something nice about a gratuitously powerful car though. :D

Cheers guys.
    Had considered the Mazda 6 but at the moment it's out of my budget (including used).
    I agree that anything above 200bhp is a bit silly and not really needed in real world driving - but there is something about a stupidly powerful car lol
    The road tax I'm hoping won't be too much of an issue as I may be moving to Jersey where there's no road tax and the petrol is a bit cheaper :D but they do only have a 40mph national speed limit :cry: but the drive back to Birmingham will be fun lol and my bi-anual trip to the 'Ring would benefit too.

Really like the Octavia but it has a bit of an odd shaped boot - not sure if its the angle of the seats or the wheel arch positions.

Just a idle musing, but doesn't the 'VXR' label mean an automatic visit to the osteopath with every trip because of the crashingly hard ride?

Master

Maybe a Subaru Legacy? Some of the import versions are murderously fast and also tweakable if that's your thing. The UK doesn't get the turbo versions, just a 3 litre that's a bit thirsty but quite brisk I understand. The Jap market Forester is another bonkers option.

Or for budget laughs, an older Mitsi Gallant VR4 estate could be interesting. Quite old now though.

Power for £, the VRXs are probably hard to beat in a newish car, but no idea if they're any good to drive.

The Octavia Estate boot is cavernous. I have an Elegance so let me know if you want a couple of snap shots. The biggest issues with Skodas at the moment is the massive lead time for new cars. they are currently sitting at around 7 months lead time. On the plus side, they are running a VAT free offer on new cars at the moment which they will honour until the end of the month, even with the VAT increase in January.

Master

Having seen how unreliable one of my friends' Vextra has been, I wouldn't touch one with a long stick....
    What about the Mondeo ST estate? There are V6 pertol and 2.2 diesel versions, the diesel is easily tweaked....

The Sri Cdti 150 is a reasonable motor - I've got the hatchback - but you really have to have your wits about you in the twisty stuff. The engine is really willing to rev, but the chassis isn't as responsive as some of its' competitors - the mondeo is better, as is the VW Passat. The spec is good on the Sri but the build quality is not the best (ie it is CRAP) and if I hadn't paid SO little for my '08 plate from Trade Sales at Slough I'd be a tad annoyed.

If you want a four seat estate sports car, buy an older Audi RS4, or if you need the space an A6 Avant with the 230 bhp diesel engine, but get something with a chassis that isn't being pushed to the limit.

At the end of the day, you'll probably be living with it for a while.

Yes I think your mad :lol: But sometime being mad is good for the soul.

Personally I'd always go diesel as I'm a tight git. One of my pet hates is visiting the filling station.

Final answer would be yes! :D

But that derv gets good reveiws so its not all bad....... :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by paul668n
    but the build quality is not the best (ie it is CRAP) and if I hadn't paid SO little for my '08 plate from Trade Sales at Slough I'd be a tad annoyed
    Odd. The build quality on my '06 Vectra 2.2 is superb. No shakes, no rattles, everything tight and solid. A comfy and civilised motorway muncher.

Well have been and looked at a Mondeo ST220 and a couple of Vectra's - not managed to track down a VXR........ yet :twisted:

Craftsman

Skoda Octavia Estate VRS with 2.0 turbo petrol and DSG.
    I have that engine and gearbox in my Seat Leon and its a peach! puts smile on my face everytime I drive it...
    Always was fond of Skoda Octavia VRS and in blue it looks business!

Quote Originally Posted by mac83
    Skoda Octavia Estate VRS with 2.0 turbo petrol and DSG.
    I have that engine and gearbox in my Seat Leon and its a peach! puts smile on my face everytime I drive it...
    Always was fond of Skoda Octavia VRS and in blue it looks business!
    How do you find the DSG? I drove a Scirocco with it and wasn't that impressed - even in 'manual' it still wanted to change gear by its self.

Craftsman

What do you mean change a gear by itself?
    In M it will only change up if you rev the shizz out of it.... beyond reasonable range... and it will change down when you slow down to avoid stalling the engine. Other wise complete freedom. FYI I had car for more than a year now, I do have heavy foot and never had car change a gear up by itself. I always shift it up, don't even know how high you have to go...

It takes some getting used to but I would not change it for anything else, unless there is no option, my next car will have some sort of dual clutch transmission. Had it out for a quick spin today and joy oh joy it shifts and changing gears with paddle shifters is so much fun!

In M it will only change up if you rev the shizz out of it.... beyond reasonable range... and it will change down when you slow down to avoid stalling the engine. Other wise complete freedom.

It takes some getting used to but I would not change it for anything else, unless there is no option, my next car will have some sort of dual clutch transmission. Had it out for a quick spin today and joy oh joy it shifts and changing gears with paddle shifters is so much fun!
    Was trying to hold it in a gear between two corners and it changed up mid corner - granted I was on the Nurburgring at the time.... so possibly not the best place to try a new fangled gear box lol.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W
    In M it will only change up if you rev the shizz out of it.... beyond reasonable range... and it will change down when you slow down to avoid stalling the engine. Other wise complete freedom.

Was trying to hold it in a gear between two corners and it changed up mid corner - granted I was on the Nurburgring at the time.... so possibly not the best place to try a new fangled gear box lol.

Well you must have gone way past 6.5k rpm. Probably not very good for best acceleration, outside maximum torque range etc etc.

Could have done but don't think it was on the redline.
    Probably just me to be honest - drove it briefly on the road and thought it was better suited.