closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

View Poll Results: are u going downsize or upsize?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm downsizing my collection

39 55.71%
  • I'm adding new models to my collection

31 44.29%

Thread: are u going downsize or upsize?

Craftsman

are u going downsize or upsize?

just looking at SC recently, I've been noticing few sales due to too many watches in the same collection.
    To be honest, I'm going through the same phase, I had too many watches and I've sold almost a dozen of them during the last year, but then a new model captures my attention and it proves very difficult to stick to my guns.. :?
    So I wonder: who is going downsize and who upsize and why?

Master

Re: are u going downsize or upsize?

I'm upsizing my collection.
    Why? - I like watches, and I don't need to sell any to raise the cash to buy more. I'm on a fairly limited budget (small early retirement pension and part time jobs), but that just means buying cheaper watches. If I fall on hard times, I'll sell at that point.

Master

I've been downsizing...I've went from "I want to try every Glycine available" to "keep the 5 I actually like"... :)

Master

Too many not getting any wrist time, so its downsizing for me.

I downsized quite a bit now I want to upsize. :D
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I want to upsize - been a member for a short while here, have learnt a lot, thus had my eyes opened to a few brands I'd never heard of, as well as beginning to get a better understanding (and therefore appreciation of) what actually makes a watch tick.

In the meantime, been saving some cash. Just cant decide what to buy now - the list is so long and the budget wont cover it all!

Quote Originally Posted by hsukirk
    I have been downsizing like mad and hopefully have 5-7 within rotation.
    Me, too. From almost 70 watches a couple of years ago, I now have less than 15, only 3 worth mentioning (1 of them is a gift), the rest cost less than 80 pounds each.

Master

Have already downsized it mate, getting a bit bored at the moment and finances are also an issue so one for a family heirloom, and just afew others to play with, that's about it... :?

Downsizing. I have two watches remaining now. I hope to save up for something really special for Christmas and keep with just three watches for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Vinci
    I want to upsize - been a member for a short while here, have learnt a lot, thus had my eyes opened to a few brands I'd never heard of, as well as beginning to get a better understanding (and therefore appreciation of) what actually makes a watch tick.

In the meantime, been saving some cash. Just cant decide what to buy now - the list is so long and the budget wont cover it all!
    +1
    Except I've been here even less time.
    Always wanted a Speedmaster, and seeing all the pics in here is not helping, just now there are lots of other watches fighting for attention too.

I have foolish notions of downsizing but soon correct my mistakes.

Master

I'm downsizing because I can see no point in my keeping a watch that I seldom/never wear.

Master

I am considering downsizing in order to get a few pieces serviced. Might be utilising s/c to off load a few to pay for repairs.

regards

tim

Thinking about downsizing but fear it will be a slippery slope and I'll end up regretting it.

regards,
    Nick

Want a small number of quality pieces. 6 seems to be where i am heading

I've been up to about thirty plus (a mixture of cheapies & mid price) & am now down to four more expensive watches, but am looking to buy one more. Up, down, round & round, so I've downsized, but have upscaled. I'm not voting on the basis that you don't offer that option.
    ______

​Jim.

Banned

Downsize?

I learn a new word every day on this forum :lol:

My collection tends to wax and wane year by year... I have just undergone a major downsizing and sold off at least half of my best pieces to fund a 911. Now I have the car it is time to start buying watches again... :)

However, funds are probably a little more limited at the moment than they have been in the past (kids are damned expensive) so I will be looking for bargains.

Also, and this is the most crucial bit, I have owned the majority of watches I really wanted at some point or another, and in terms of prestige pieces I am much more discerning these days.
    So clever my foot fell off.

I always upsize in the long term, at the moment I am selling a few that no longer have a purpose in my collection to cover the cost of something I impulsively bought that was rather expensive for what it was. but in general I will always add a good few every year, so far in 2010 I have bought a PRS5, 14 and 17, Seiko 007, an electronic and a pair of rough vintage 5's and a Smiths pocket watch, whilst only 2 Seiko have gone out so far.

Downsizing a lot in the last year or so, mainly for financial reasons. I doubt I'll upsize as much when I'm on better ground financially, though, I probably had a few too many before.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master

I'm downsizing one minute then I see something I like. :shock:
    All this whilst supposedly saving for something special.

Oh well.

Master
    Blog Entries

I am telling myself that I am downsizing when in reality I am upsizing. Downsizing is a lie I tell when I buy something new to create and illusion that the money for incoming will come from outgoing. I don't think I have ever sold anything specifically in advance of buying something to raise cash. Watches have left the collection of course, but usually because I no longer wear them.

Craftsman

I'm downsizing but only because my appreciation for watches has matured and I'm in a position to save up more for the ones I really want.
    I've always been the sort of person to have a number of G-shocks and Seiko's lying around but only recently have I been able to start building a collection of marque watches. Still a long way off from getting a Rolex or a Bremont, but far enough down the road that I know the Casio's (bar one or two) and Timex's and other 'non-essentials' are just taking up space.

Banned

I've downsized, but plan on increasing by 3-4 watches over the next two years.

Trying hard to keep it at a managable 6 for now.

Master

I appear to have upsized by three just today. :roll: :shock:

Master

I want to add one more to my collection; either a Reverso or an ultra-thin dress watch will bring the number I own to 4.

After that, I might upgrade some of the watches in the collection if and when funds allow but owning more than four means I can't wear them as much as I want to.

I know, I know, I'm an amateur! :D

Craftsman

Upsizing....cant help. I have currently 3 Omega Seamasters. Dunno why, but I always trade everything else but Omega's remain. Besides; watches are pretty good way to store some cash; you can always sell them. :lol:

Still wanted to try a Submariner...

-OD

Goto sell most of the drawer queens..let others appreciate them and grab some cash..

Over the past 3 months I have downsized considerably. I just couldn't justify so many watches sitting in a safe and not being worn just for the sake of collecting so I have pretty much sold the the lot. I was collecting Lemanias and I loved the 5100 movement but once I had decided to sell it was a clean sweep. Discovered Panerai's which I love and will probably add a couple more divers but a limit of 6 in total basing this decision on quality over quantity. Also if I need cash I have found it is far easier selling 1 high end watch than having to sell a few for the same money.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Master

Currently consolidating, with the intention of generally upgrading/increasing the overall size gradually.

am always downsizing,but itīs not working too well
    never ending story :?

Blog Entries

Have to get rid of one!
    Five is my favorite number :)

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master

I think I'm a Serial Monogamist as far as watches are concerned. I tend to continuously wear my latest/favourite purchase (PRS20 full-lume at the moment). I don't have much of a collectiom compared to most people on here (9 watches), but I think my ideal would be 3 watches; 1 everyday watch, 1 dress watch and a beater.

After intentionally upsizing for quite some time I've finelly come to the conclusion not all get worn as much as I'd like to. Since then I've starting downsizing from about 16 to 5 watches, which get worn frequently (as they deserve :D )

Theoretically downsizing. Actually, constant. And by constant I mean too many watches

Selling everything and looking at pastures new - will keep a few of my favourites but that is it.
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman

I'm still buying... but I'm only into Steinharts right now because I'm on a budget... :wink:

Craftsman

Neither, 5/6 is really enough for me as I've limited oppotunities to wear anything but the Glycine (I work from home and have perhaps 3/4 days a month at office or clients, evenings out invariably boozey so don't risk anything on those occasions). The others are restricted to shopping trips / dentists / barbers / lawyers - I should get out more I know ...

But I've started to get realistic about the non-wearers - the DA37 has gone and the Speedmaster (unfortunately in some ways) will have to follow. Likewise I'll see how things go with my latest arrivals (Lum-Tec and Anonimo) and treat them accordingly.

I keep thinking that having both 2531 / 2254 is too much but they both get worn so they'll stay until usurped by a newcomer.

Master

I m glad this has been raised as i d love to sell a couple of mine and buy either a 1655 or something along those lines but as was said in an earlier post i ve a few sat in the bank with seals on that were bought as an investment and have wore this peach of a 5513 the most since i ve had it and that was for a few days away ,so yes i d like to downsize a bit but i don t know if it came to it i would be able to do it as i just can t seem to be able to let some go before i m doing a trade or buying again
    ,a few pics of the most recent one to see a bit of daylight

Marvellous - at the moment more people are downsizing than upsizing and I'm looking to buy more soon.
    Should be a "flood on the market" and fa ew more to choose from then .... making it even easier for me to be parted from my money :)

Craftsman

I would like to down size to buy a rolex but when I look at my babies I caanot part with any of them at the moment, other than one and no one seems to want that :lol: :lol:

Craftsman

Up sizing at the moment but only because I am new (about 4.5 years) to watch collecting and there is so many that I still want to own. Hope to be happy in about 2 - 3 years with what I have got and then start to sell off a load of watches to fund 5 or 6 high end watches.

trying to upsize :D :blackeye: off the missus

im upsizing only been collecting a few months got 7 so far none to expensive will get a few more when funds allow