closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What do you look for in a blu ray player

What do you look for in a blu ray player

The picture quality seems almost standard across the main protagonists and the naked eye won't normally see the 2% picture improvement that magazine reviews state. For me speed and wireless are key.

I can't believe that the load times and management times are so long, whoever created the java standard needs shot otherwise each blu ray player needs a super computer built in to speed up the process

Re: What do you look for in a blu ray player

Wireless? Can you expand on what you mean on that?

I've been using an original PS3 for blu-Ray and it is STILL regarded as a stunning player! I recently bought a cheapo player from ebuyer as it also plays MKV files from USB and to be honest there is little difference IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonmurgie
    Wireless? Can you expand on what you mean on that?

I've been using an original PS3 for blu-Ray and it is STILL regarded as a stunning player! I recently bought a cheapo player from ebuyer as it also plays MKV files from USB and to be honest there is little difference IMO.
    Sure, one of my first Blu Ray players could only be updated via ethernet connection and also if I wanted to go online with it that was the only way. Thankfully they now come with WiFI (apologies for using the wrong terminology) so now it can connect easily to my wireless network.

The PS3 is still about the best for speed no question, but lets be honest the ps3 is a powerhouse of processing and stand alone players dont have that level of processing power (or at least they didn't perhaps things are changing?)

You'll get what you pay for. Pay more and definition, and connectivity improves, colour bleeding lessens, contrast and sharpness increase.
    I've just tested Arcam's new £1k Blue Ray player and it is stunning, a good 20% better than Pioneer's BD330. It will play CD's at the value of a £600 CD player, and DVD's at the value of an £800 player but Blue Ray ..... wow it is awesome never seen anything like it. They haven't hit the shops yet but first production has sold out.

Rod

I have the Sony BDP-S560 which has WiFi and I find that quite good.

Craftsman

Got a PS3, which is very good for what it is, but the lack of bitstreaming HD audio did it for me.

I now fullfill all my AV source needs via my HTPC. Stunning picture, bitstreamed HD audio, and as many tweaks for my non HD ripped files I can shake a stick at. Also meens I have my entire film collection on a NAS streaming round the house, with a stunning front end, and its super wife friendly.

Used to be a seperates man (my first DVD player was a Pioneer 717) but the PC is such a powerful and versitile beast I cant see myself going back. Takes more fiddling than a standalone, but once set up the results are stunning.

A stuck disc?