closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Wrecking for beginners: Laco

Grand Master

Wrecking for beginners: Laco

Laco doesn't just make fliegers - there's a whole load of non-pilot watches made for eBay and other distributors and one of them has a nice case with a screw-down crown and 100m WR. It also has a slightly naff silver dial with Quartz written in florid writing. So I binned it in favour of a Tudor Sub-style dial with good lume, and flieger-ish hands. Despite claims of a "Swiss movement" it has a Thailand-assembled, one-jewel Ronda 715. But I have a broken, Swiss-made (and gold-plated) 5-jewel Ronda 515 lying around so I robbed the four-jewelled bridge off it and put it onto the Thai movement, making a sort of Swiss-Thai-West London lash-up. The old unjewelled bridge is in one of the pics. I'll have to take a pic of the parts-bin movement some other time.

Playing with quartzes when learning to mod/wreck is good because you can develop your techniques and good habits without spending big money. Trash a movement and it's £5 or £10 down the drain, not £50 or more. I'm still learning at this one. One thing I dislike about Ronda quartz is that you can mount the second hand as neatly and accurately at you like, right on the marker, but put the crown in and start the movement... and it's all over the place. Oh well.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Re: Wrecking for beginners: Laco

Great result, the dial works a treat in that case 8)
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Journeyman

Do the dials transfer easily between quartz movements?

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MrFranklin
    Do the dials transfer easily between quartz movements?
    These do - Ronda follows the ETA quartz/mechanical convention of dial feet at 2.30 and 8.30, the same distance apart. The only concern is date window placement; stick to the same size movement, of 11.5 lignes, and the date display should show up in the same place. Some 13 ligne movements have the date positioned in the same place (such as ETA 2834).

I've put the original dial and hands on a spare ETA 955 movement I had lying around, if only to keep them from sliding around and marking each other in the same zip-lock plastic bag - and it also slots right into the case without mods. Only the crown would need removing and refitting to the ETA-specific stem.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!