Laco doesn't just make fliegers - there's a whole load of non-pilot watches made for eBay and other distributors and one of them has a nice case with a screw-down crown and 100m WR. It also has a slightly naff silver dial with Quartz written in florid writing. So I binned it in favour of a Tudor Sub-style dial with good lume, and flieger-ish hands. Despite claims of a "Swiss movement" it has a Thailand-assembled, one-jewel Ronda 715. But I have a broken, Swiss-made (and gold-plated) 5-jewel Ronda 515 lying around so I robbed the four-jewelled bridge off it and put it onto the Thai movement, making a sort of Swiss-Thai-West London lash-up. The old unjewelled bridge is in one of the pics. I'll have to take a pic of the parts-bin movement some other time.

Playing with quartzes when learning to mod/wreck is good because you can develop your techniques and good habits without spending big money. Trash a movement and it's £5 or £10 down the drain, not £50 or more. I'm still learning at this one. One thing I dislike about Ronda quartz is that you can mount the second hand as neatly and accurately at you like, right on the marker, but put the crown in and start the movement... and it's all over the place. Oh well.