closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Laser eye surgery........

Laser eye surgery........

I'm seriously considering getting this done. Just wondering if anyone here has had it done and fouled recommend anywhere?

Cheers

Banned

Re: Laser eye surgery........

I had it done at Boots 8 years ago.

I used Boots for two reasons - (i) They had the best eye surgeon at the time (ii) One of my family worked there so I got a couple of quid off.

Totally painless, but unpleasant procedure.

I had one eye done twice, the other three times, but reached perfection in the end.

Would I recommend the procedure - No. Would I recommend the results - Definitely.

Also, depending on your age you may or may not still need glasses for reading afterwards. That was enough to put me off, plus the fact that I'm a coward :)

No direct experience but there was a thread about it a while back.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=116235&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=la ser+eye+surgery

Cheers,
    Gary

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary
    No direct experience but there was a thread about it a while back.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=116235&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=la ser+eye+surgery

Cheers,
    Gary
    I started that thread. I decided not to do it.

Laser eye surgery........

My brother in law had this done just over a year ago. His sight was perfect after.... But after a year of working with computer screens, he says his sight has deteriorated and he's gonna need to get it seen to again.

So, if you're at a pc alot, I'd bear that in mind.

The long term effects of laser eye surgery arent known so thats a major downside.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly
    That was enough to put me off, plus the fact that I'm a coward :)
    :lol:

Yes, the coward bit is putting me off too.

My sister had it done about 4 or five years ago and would highly recommend it. But she really hated wearing glasses.
    Now I don't play so much sport, I don't find it so much of an issue. I almost quite like accessorising with my glasses :roll: :lol:

Journeyman

I'm saving to have it done though I'll be getting LASEK rather than LASIK because it's safer for my type of eyesight.

I wear specs but I am worried aboutthe stories where night vision is destroyed getting that halo effect around lights and you could lose your license so it's a no from me

Quote Originally Posted by jonny
    The long term effects of laser eye surgery arent known so thats a major downside.
    Exactly, am more than happy to live with contacts and specs and leave on only eyes alone from any ops!!

I've been thinking of getting it done.

I hate wearing Specs, especially as I am going to need varifocals sooner rather than later (add that to being very short sighted) but can't wear contacts for more than 6-8 hours. But from what I understand, the further away you are from 20/20 vision to start off then you are more likely to need it done more than once. Also I understand that if your eyes do deteriorate after surgery you can't wear contacts again.

I considered it as I know quite a few people that had it done and were very happy with the results. However, my prescription changes quite regularly so I'd more than likely need to wear glasses again or get it redone. Plus I'm also a coward! :D

Master

Two guys who work for me have had it done in the last 12 months, both had brilliant success, they used the place in Bluewater Kent, IIRC around £1200 an eyeball :shock:

Journeyman

I had the wavefront treatment done about 3 or 4 years ago - it was totally painless for me, I had no adverse effects afterwards and my eyesight is now excellent.

I had mine done by Ultralase at Tottenham Court Road in London and I was very happy with the procedure and the follow up I received. It wasn't the cheapest, but I've no regrets.

I would only consider getting it done at Moorfields. When I looked into it a few years ago, it was something like six grand.

Had mine done 3 years ago at Advance Visioncare in London, I had been wearing glasses since age 15 or so and was very short sighted.

Yep, I was nervous as hell but the procedure itself lasted all of 2 minutes max, my wife (I was married at the time) was able to watch the whole thing in a booth next door on video, and bar some minor discomfort was pretty painless. I could "see" straight away, eyedrops for a few weeks after due to dryness but now I have perfect vision and can swim, shower, play with the kids...do allsorts with abandon!

One of the best things I ever did and bonus is I can wear allsorts of Sunnies now too :D

Do it!!!
    Sanjay

North Londoner, exiled in Leicestershire...

I had mine done in late 2001, by UltraLase (Harley Street).

I was getting quite shortsighted, and having trouble seeing clearly over any distance (Bus numbers, Road signs etc). It got to the point that mates would rip the p*ss out of my squinting at Football Manager on the telly (the old text only version, Football Crazy, on the Atari STe...those were the days..).

Couldn't get on with contacts (apparently the high protein levels in my eyes would dry out and eventually ruin contacts).

So after a year or two of glasses, took the plunge. After negotiating, I paid £1600 (9 years ago!).

Conclusion: One of the best decisions I ever made. One day of discomfort, woke up next day to a whole new unblurred world. Great pre-surgery consultation, good consultant, aftercare check-ups after a week, a month and 6 months.

Went to Boots in May this year, as I hadn't had any sort of check-up since the UltraLase aftercare in early 2002. Despite heavy computer use, my vision is still 6/6 (i.e. pretty much perfect) in both eyes 8) . Won't even need a check up for another 2 years.

Only minor downside is that driving at night, I do get a faint 'halo' when looking at bright lights, oncoming headlights etc, but it really is only slight, and I was informed beforehand that this was likely.

IMHO, it's the best £1600 I've ever spent, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Master

I had mine done in 2000. Painless procedure, but hurt like hell for about 12 hours after the good drugs wore off. I wouldn't wish that part on anyone, but I'm happy with the results. Never a problem since.