closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help or advice PLEASE on Rolex

Master

Help or advice PLEASE on Rolex

:?:
    Guys I own a Rolex Military Dial and original hands (mercedes).
    I am interested to know if any one has seen one for sale recently.

I have been asked if I would consider selling it and said he should make me an offer. He has a Mil Rolex 5512 with a damaged dial.
    So how much is a dial worth??? :lol:

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Re: Help or advice PLEASE

Got to be worth a few quid I reckon Simon although Im sure the usual experts will give you the correct advice you need.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Have you checked similar items on ebay?

I found this one my first try, didn't check other items so I don't know how realistic this is...

Item number 270565316668

Paging Dr.Jed or Dr.Mike :)

Major, major £££'s.

£10k for the dial and half that for the hands may be possible depending on condition.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master

You sure it's original Simon?

If it is you're in the money 8)

If its real the dial is worth about £15K - not sure about the hands, however the original sword hands go for about £15K a set as well.

Given the potentional value of the dial you need to get this checked out - hence Jed1y or Mike Wood would need to see it. Assuming they give it the thumbs up, then you should look to sell it on the VinageRolex Forum. If its fake then expect a knock on the door late at night. So get it checked out first please.

Andy

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master

Where are these 2 experts then please help,
    I was thinking alot less, 2-3K buy I can't believe it. I bought it from an old man (retired watch maker).
    Cost me a 18ct gold Constellation from the 80's.

I have to say this FCUK me.

Yet more evidence for my "don't understand Rolex at all" folder. Potentially great news for the OP but £30k for a dial and handset?! People step away from the keyboard and think about it for a while and get some perspective.

Cheers,
    Gary

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Horologos
    I bought it from an old man (retired watch maker).
    Cost me a 18ct gold Constellation from the 80's.
    Don't forget to 'look after' the old chap when you come into money :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary
    Yet more evidence for my "don't understand Rolex at all" folder. Potentially great news for the OP but £30k for a dial and handset?! People step away from the keyboard and think about it for a while and get some perspective.

Cheers,
    Gary
    +1!!! :mrgreen:

Cheers,
    Gary
    If a mil Sub can be worth £70K with the right dial and handset who is to say the price quoted is not a sensible price and good investment?

It's not a world I could ever join but I can see the logic and the vintage buff in me finds it all very interesting.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    If a mil Sub can be worth £70K with the right dial and handset who is to say the price quoted is not a sensible price and good investment?

It's not a world I could ever join but I can see the logic and the vintage buff in me finds it all very interesting.
    Oh I know the argument and seeming logic that justify these prices Neil, I just can't get my head around the money involved. When people are prepared to pay £500 for a small square of plastic, in the case of the recent hang tag sale, I can't help but think of the emperors new clothes. I've nothing against Rolex (don't even get me started on Panerai boxes etc), guess I'm a closet Yorkshireman at heart :wink:

Cheers,
    Gary

Master

Re: Help or advice PLEASE on Rolex

sorry ... i am on a different timezone !!! ... and a closet yorkshireman too :)

chill a little guys if it were real, its not as big££ as you think.. if you look around the one thing that doesn't really get removed from a milsub when it gets civillianised is the dial..if you think of even the cheapest examples you've seen .they nearly always still have their dials .first thing to go ( even when they were in service) was the hands and replaced by mercedess... so hands most valuable.. then the bezels .. dials not so much so...

really need a direct head on shot to give you an opinion on it properly and if real which dial .. there are a few different ones specific to certain watches .. and this also affect value.

ps. doesnt look encouragingly good from what i can see, thoguh id rather not pronounce without a head on shot

pps. there isnt a5512 milsub that takes this type of dial so someone is pulling yourr chain

Master

People spend that amount for a number plate! :lol:

Master

ok... there was one service dial that i just wanted to check it against ... but no its not right. the positioning and fonts of the swiss < 25t are enough to see its wrong by itself.

...possibly the 'm' and 'R' of '200m' and 'Submariner' don't look lined up right, but it's an oblique shot.

Master

Thanks for the answers guys.
    I suppose I can only wish it were authentic.
    Simon

Master

ooh no .. from that view defo not :(

Banned

Have to agree with Jed 100%, when I was looking for vintage I looked at every dial made The L in Rolex is way off as well

Grand Master

Cheers,
    Gary
    agree 1000000%..this is the height of madness IMO and just serves to illustrate how anal the whole 'Rolex Collectibility' thing is.

Basically, Rolex have made very few different styles of watch over the years, so the collectibility has to be focussed on minute detail :? .. don`t understand it, never will.

Kings New clothes?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958

Cheers,
    Gary
    agree 1000000%..this is the height of madness IMO and just serves to illustrate how anal the whole 'Rolex Collectibility' thing is.

Basically, Rolex have made very few different styles of watch over the years, so the collectibility has to be focussed on minute detail :? .. don`t understand it, never will.

Kings New clothes?

lol i love it ... we go through this every week or so and here we are again ...

to 99% of the world a watch is the most basic item that does nothing more than tell the time - past that it is ALL minute detail and we are all odd... just love. love. love the way that people can see the sense in whatever they collect and consider it PERFECTLY rational but think people who collect something different are weird... the Rolex thing gets it the most around here for no other reason other than value... there are plenty of people who collects seiko who concentrate as much on tiny detail... what you are really talking about is the ££ involved ....and that is all relative... to a guy in somalia the guys who spend £100 on a seiko is nuts .... to the guy who spends £1m on vinatge patek a £20k Rolex is loose change

the guys who collect seiko think the guys who collect doxa are mad, the guys who collect doxa think the guys who collect omega are mad.. the guys that collect omega think Rolex collector are mad... the guys who collect Rolex think the guys who collect Patek are mad.... the guys who collect Patek are busy trying to figure out how to spend all their dosh :)

Well put Jed :wink: justifies my irrational Rolex fetish and paying daft money for faded old inserts :lol:

And then there's car collecting :drunken: