closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Washing machines Miele or ISE10

Craftsman

Washing machines Miele or ISE10

Hi,

I am in the market for an new washing machine and wanted to ask in anyone had experience with any of these (Miele or ISE10).

I ahve read miele are the exceptionally good with a 10yr parts and labour guarantee. However, thier part can be expensive down the line when the guarantee runs out.

ISE10 are relatively new, again with 10yr guarantee.

Does anyone own a miele - if so, what is the general experience with them in terms of reliability?

I currently have an AEG that has lasted 17yrs, however the new models are not built as well.

advice/opininons appreciated.

Thanks.

Miele are built exceptionally well and have their own engineers should the worst happen

Have never heard of ise10 so not qualified to make a comparison but would buy another miele at the drop of a hat

Re: Washing machines Miele or ISE10

....Very pleased with my Miele....not sure on the model number but it was the cheapest Miele that John Lewis sold at the time- about £500 iirc
    really has been faultless
    Goat

We bought a Miele from Comet £800 model) and it came with a one year guarantee, extendable to two years online (free). It performs well and washes remarkably cleanly but the towels come out rough, regardless of which program you use. Miele advised increasing the volume of rinsewater (you can change the factory defaults) but it didn't cure the roughness of the towels.

I suppose fabric softener would cure the problem but we never had to use it in our 10 year old Hoover (£180) and I'm not a lover of the "spring-fresh" smells.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman

Seems miele is leading at moment - how long have members had their miele's for?

We've had our Miele for about eight years, no problems whatsoever.

I have had quite a bit of experience with Miele on superyachts, generally they are industry standard based on the fact they are pretty much the only machine that can run 24/7, use very little water, make minimal noise and clock up epic useage.Last year I heard of one that had done 25,000 hours, getting rolled around on a busy charter sailing boat! Impressive!

Master

No doubting the reliability of Miele - but economically are they worth it?
    Cheapie at under £200, last perhaps five years, maybe a lot longer against £800+ for one which might last twice as long?
    Washing Machine branding... biggest con? Most manufacturers have the market covered with their budget, mid & high end brands with little more than cosmetic differences.
    Rather like buying into Watch brands :D
    (oooer controversial!).

If you want or aspire a Miele, then get one because you'll never be convinced another machine will be as good...
    Rolex are better than Omega
    Omega are just as good as Rolex
    :whax: :whdat:

Hi PS,

We bought a Miele in the spring of this year to replace a 16 year old AEG.

The Miele is a top piece of kit, designed for a very long service life. I would go for the Miele. Best on the market in my opinion.

ISE are produced by a group of white goods engineers and are designed to be long lasting and easily repairable by local tradesmen. Their pricepoint doesn't really compare with Miele and would be more comparable with Bosch. If you read Which? most of their Best Buys are Miele and they are undoubtably the benchmark brand for most white goods.(They also rate LG highly too). Until a couple of years ago I would have suggested AEG and especially Siemens as an alternative, but I don't think they are of the same quality anymore.

Grand Master

WIFE QUESTION ALERT....WIFE QUESTION ALERT..... 8)
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

There has to be one...

We bought a Miele 10 years ago - and the fact that it runs is all I can say about the thing.

It uses a small amount of water and every wash has to be rinsed twice or more to get the soap out. it leaks out of the door seal and the control panel has a mind of its own - when it's really unhappy it just freezes and flashes its LEDs.

We've just had it repaired / serviced at a cost of £220 and apart from stopping the odd noises it was making, nothing else is fixed. Miele customer services are cack and if I had enough boot space, I'd take the thing to Abingdon and dump it in their car park.

Would I have another? Hell no. Our old Zanussi did 14 years without a hiccup - Mrs Bristolian is however besotted by the Miele cachet.

The moral? If you've got big £ to splurge on a washer, Miele has to be in the frame, but its not infallible. Personally I'd go for something a quarter of the price and simpler, when it goes wrong just get another cheapie.

Good luck!

I have a Miele tumble drier almost three years old. When first used the laundry came out smelling like a dead mouse so I complained to Miele. They said an engineer could have a look at it but that if he found nothing wrong, I would be charged an hourly rate plus a call out fee. As the potential cost could have been over £100 I decided to use tumble drier fragrance sheets ... I also dismantled the machine as far as possible myself to see if I could find the cause but without success. After about six months the dead mouse smell gradually ceased and I still do not know what caused it. Previous Hotpoint driers lasted less than two years and one Hotpoint which failed after just two weeks was found to have the belt installed incorrectly.

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

What's a washing machine ?? Is it that white cube in the corner that women seem to fawn over ??

We have a Miele Washing Machine, Tumble Dryer, Dishwasher and 2 Vacuum Cleaners.

Quality of them all is superb and (to me) the extra cost is worthwhile. I had to open up the Tumble Dryer (purchased second-hand, and the light wasn't working) and I was well impressed with the build quality.

When our (inherited) Baumatic fridge, oven and microwave die, they will be replaced with Miele equivalents.

I bought a washing machine (washer dryer in fact) a few years ago and did a bit of research at the time.

We'd had a new Zanussi (NEVER AGAIN!!) that lasted 3 years before it finally bit the dust (and in that time had 3 warranty repairs - one under the extended warranty that I presciently took out).

The Zanussi cost £450 and lasted 3 years, the Miele cost £1000 but was guaranteed for 15 (yes fifteen!) through some deal that they were doing at the time I think they are normally guaranteed for 5.

We had it for 2 and it never put a foot wrong, quiet, economical, etc., and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend another.

An example of the things that Miele do that others do not.

Instead of using concrete blocks to weight down the machine, Miele use cast iron (and boy does this work!) Ours used to spin at 1700 rpm and was near silent - no hopping across the kitchen floor.

A review here http://www.washerhelp.co.uk/reviews/miele-overview.html by a washing machine engineer (plenty of other stuff on his site too).

Cheers,

Master

We have a Miele washer-dryer, fridge-freezer and dishwasher, all about 4 years old. The washer-dryer has been replaced once and repaired three times under warranty. On each occasion we were left without a washing machine for 2-3 weeks while their service department got things sorted out. The handle on the fridge-freezer has broken and although the dishwasher has not been faulty I don't particularly rate its ability to wash dishes. We wouldn't buy Miele kit again, it's a lot of extra money for something that isn't any more reliable than the cheap brands (it lookes nicely made, though). Their service department is crap, it takes them ages to organise a visit and then ages to get the parts if they don't have them in the van.

I bought the most basic Candy washing machine I could find when I purchased my first house 11 years ago. Now runs sometimes twice a day with having 4 kids. Just wont break. Possibly down to it's simplicity although I think reliability is more down to luck than price. Only advice is buy one with a large drum.

Craftsman

Have a Miele washer for nearly 11 years now, only one callout for a new rubber drum seal, this was the user's fault rather that the machine however. Great machine for cleaning though.

Also have a Miele hoover and the wife far prefers it over the previous Dyson.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by PS
    Seems miele is leading at moment - how long have members had their miele's for?
    Bought it in 1997 in a Seeboard sale for over £600. Since then I have had two daughters (11 & 9) and 2 years soaked in mineral oil. It works fine. However the vacuum I bought at the same time went to the tip a few months ago. Sucking up cut bricks killed it :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by mylofitz
    I. Only advice is buy one with a large drum.
    When my hotpoint give up last year, it was 12 years old, used every day ( and half the time twice a day, don't ask, the wife had an ocd thing about cleanliness :D )
    I then bought a machine with the biggest drum i could find ( the wife washes the 2 sofa covers monthly :roll: , and so needs a big door), a samsung WF8804RP, also takes 8Kg of washing has a huge door opening and has an air refresh system for woolens. It's only been in use for a year but absolutly fautless, and the washing programmes are perfectly thought out. And it has a very quiet 1400 spin.

Scores 9.1 out of 10 on the reveiw website http://www.reevoo.com/p/samsung-wf8804rp

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT
    ....Very pleased with my Miele....not sure on the model number but it was the cheapest Miele that John Lewis sold at the time- about £500 iirc
    really has been faultless
    Goat
    Ditto, I think I have the same model, it has been fantastic.

used every day + - buy a Miele

used 3-4 times a week - Buy a Bosch (Excel or Logixx only ones still made in Germany)

Used to work for an electrical retailer and wouldnt buy anything but these two brands

Master
    A little fishing village on the banks of the mersey.

Quote Originally Posted by r.dawson
    used every day + - buy a Miele

used 3-4 times a week - Buy a Bosch (Excel or Logixx only ones still made in Germany)

Used to work for an electrical retailer and wouldnt buy anything but these two brands
    Another one for bosch after being recomended by a local shop after my parents machine broke down (hoover) for the 15th time,mum said she wouldn't have another hoover especailly as she was also told they are now made in china. She has had nothing to say but good things about the bosch which is a releif because i might get a bit of peace

Apparantly bosch are made by miele or it maybe the other way around,intrestingly they are also highly thought of by which magizine also.

Miele washing machines Top brand

my dad has his for 15+ years and not a single problem

From memory they were only manufacturer at the time to have a steel weight or ballast, the part that other manufacturers usually use a concrete one.

Miele all the way I say, had ours for 8 years and was the cheapest in John Lewis at the time, fabulous machine. The drier was a fortune and it took me years to get over it but it has been another worthwhile expense. Sebo for the hoover (8 years), Neff oven and Bosch for fridge and freezer (8 years) complete the electronics. It is a false economy IMO to buy cheap, less enjoyable to use, last shorter and hassle when they break.

My mum has had allsorts including AEG which was junk. She and my sister and mom in law all have Miele and swear by them. The mum in law's is 15 years old and gets used 4 or 5 times a day and runs sweet, can't argue with that.

Craftsman

Decided to go for the Miele. It has just been delivered!!!

Thanks for you opinions.

Journeyman

The Miele's are well built, but I think the user interface design on them is usually much better thought through as well.

Looks like I was too late to weigh in on this thread, then.

You've already noted that almost all brands of washing machine are garbage, designed to last 3 years and barely a moment longer. When our last one packed up three years ago, I decided to buy something bombproof. With a baby in cloth nappies at the time, we were washing every day. Even now, with two children it's on three or four times a week.

I went for the ISE10. It's pretty simple, pretty solid, and the only problem we've had with it was down to using too much of the new liquid gels (they over-foam, apparently; use less, or use a powder). Not had to call an engineer out yet (the soap problem was fixed with one empty boil wash).

So I'd vote for the ISE10. One thing that you're NOT paying for is the name or reputation - it seems that very few people have heard of them. Although AFAIK the machines are NOT made or designed by ISE - they are made in Sweden by ASKO. Who also make a top-end washing machine for Maytag.

Master

Hope you have better luck with your Miele appliance than I did with mine!