closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Important or not?

Blog Entries

Important or not?

Do you think it's important when your watch comes back from a full service, that they give you the replaced parts back?
    With Sinn you get the old crown, the rubbers, and even a movement part back!
    With Rolex or others you get nothing but a bill.

Does it make you feel comfortable, getting the old parts back? (you have evidence they really did something) or can't you give a toss?

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Banned

Re: Important or not?

I'm 50/50.

It's not any disbelief in them not doing any work. I think that can be seen if you knew the watch, however, for me it remains nice for the complete history of the watch to have the old parts to pop in your box.

Master

From Rolex I didn't care. Watches come back looking new. From others, not too sure. I suppose if it's working well and looks better I would be OK with it. Kinda tough isn't it? You send off a watch and pay, sometimes, a lot of money. It comes back and you're not too sure. Doesn't look much differnt. Did they touch it or not?

Cheers,
    Bruce

It does sound a bit strange to me, I would prefer to have the bits back.

In the case of an old watch, the bits are worth a few bob, so you should get them back. They are your bits after all...

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks
    Do you think it's important when your watch comes back from a full service, that they give you the replaced parts back?
    With Sinn you get the old crown, the rubbers, and even a movement part back!
    With Rolex or others you get nothing but a bill.
    Does it make you feel comfortable, getting the old parts back? (you have evidence they really did something) or can't you give a toss?

Cheers,

Daddel.

Not strictly true - however you have to ask nicely :D

Andy

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I like the bits back just to add to the history of the watch :)
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

so you dont get your bits back from rolex..never knew that?

Well excuse me but I don't see the point. What would you want a knackered old crown and a few dried-up gaskets for? That's just old, used-up cr@p :roll:

If parts have to be replaced then I think it's nice to have the old bits back. But, as has been said, you do have to ask specifically for this form the majors. Most small watch repairers seem to do it as a matter of course.

If it's modern and it goes back to the manufacturer, I don't care. If it's vintage, or if it goes to an independent, I'd want the parts.

bits please.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master

Would you want the old brake pads off your car?

How would you even know if they came from your watch anyways?

If the branded crown was to be replaced that I'd want or maybe a worn out bezel for all the collectors that covet those but it would need to have true financial concerns to want it back other than that just bin it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BruceS
    From Rolex I didn't care. Watches come back looking new. From others, not too sure. I suppose if it's working well and looks better I would be OK with it. Kinda tough isn't it? You send off a watch and pay, sometimes, a lot of money. It comes back and you're not too sure. Doesn't look much differnt. Did they touch it or not?

Cheers,
    Bruce
    Well in this case it's a Rolex, and it's about a full service.
    The watch wasn't very old, not even two years, but it stopped now and then and never started automatically when winding it up, it needed a little punch.
    The official Dutch Rolex dealer, authorized by Rolex to carry out full services told me it had a bad knock and the oil had flown out of the shock-absorber, into the movement, full service was needed, not under warrenty.
    The watch was bought in England at an Ernest Jones shop and complete with box and papers.
    Someone also had tried to polish the case a bit they said, something I didn't notice, even with a magnifier.
    But it wasn't up to Rolex standards they said.
    A full service and a quick polish set me back 350,- Euro's (settled this for the most part with the previous owner, because I didn't knock or polish it).
    When it came back last saturday, I didn't notice anything polishing wise, the marks on the bracelet were still there, and if anything, I noticed hairlines that I didn't notice before.
    And the accuracy I'm still testing, but that wasn't the problem. It was well regulated, but just stopped now and then. And, the accuracy is still the same as before, exactly 2sec a day slow, so not even newly regulated?

Well if I'm allright for another five years, I guess I can't complain :)

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by jk103
    Would you want the old brake pads off your car?

How would you even know if they came from your watch anyways?

If the branded crown was to be replaced that I'd want or maybe a worn out bezel for all the collectors that covet those but it would need to have true financial concerns to want it back other than that just bin it.
    I ALWAYS ask for the replaced parts back when I have work done on my vehicles, it's a good indication that the work has been done properly. My garage doesn't object, they like to see me happy.

As far as watches are concerned, I have never sent a watch back to the manufacturer for service, unless the watch has a manufactured movement, and even then, only if my watchmaker considers it necessary. He will return any parts replaced if I ask, but I rarely do as I trust him implicitly.

I like to have the bits back with anything vintage, not so bothered about modern but then I don't own anything that expensive. :D

Assuming vintage I'd say it's essential, much preferable on more recent too.
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Cheers,
    Bruce
    The watch wasn't very old, not even two years, but it stopped now and then and never started automatically when winding it up, it needed a little punch.
    The official Dutch Rolex dealer, authorized by Rolex to carry out full services told me it had a bad knock and the oil had flown out of the shock-absorber, into the movement, full service was needed, not under warrenty.
    The watch was bought in England at an Ernest Jones shop and complete with box and papers.
    Someone also had tried to polish the case a bit they said, something I didn't notice, even with a magnifier.
    A full service and a quick polish set me back 350,- Euro's (settled this for the most part with the previous owner, because I didn't knock or polish it).
    When it came back last saturday, I didn't notice anything polishing wise, the marks on the bracelet were still there, and if anything, I noticed hairlines that I didn't notice before.
    And the accuracy I'm still testing, but that wasn't the problem. It was well regulated, but just stopped now and then. And, the accuracy is still the same as before, exactly 2sec a day slow, so not even newly regulated?

Cheers,

Daddel.
    doesn´t look like a service at the level of Rolex standards. I took my Oysterquartz (bought broken, cheap from US and after the same bill that you paid they returned the watch in a NOS condition. It was not cheap, but it was worth it. As for the parts.....you have to understand the black market around Rolex Watches parts....

Vintage stuff has to come back for me. I've seen too many Speedys for example with blinding white 'service replacement' hands that are completely out of character for the watch. Same with replacement dials, do they always have to be replaced rather than be tarted up a bit?
    Try finding a 'fantail' sweep hand for a 321, they can get binned because of a speck of paint missing :shock:

Then again, who'd want a dirty old set of milsub hands back anyway............................ :wink: :shock:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by angeche

Cheers,
    Bruce

Cheers,

Daddel.
    doesn´t look like a service at the level of Rolex standards. I took my Oysterquartz (bought broken, cheap from US and after the same bill that you paid they returned the watch in a NOS condition. It was not cheap, but it was worth it. As for the parts.....you have to understand the black market around Rolex Watches parts....
    Gotta agree. That's not the Rolex service standard I'm used to!