closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Gift for godson.........

Gift for godson.........

Need some inspiration here guys and gals.........

My closest friend has asked the Mrs and I to be godparents next month but I really am struggling with gift ideas. It would be great if I could buy something that he is likely to treasure/ potentially enjoy as he grows older rather than the obligatory money boxes, picture frame etc which are, lets be honest, way too boring and likely find their way in to the attic within a few years (reminds me I might dig mine back out :D ) A bank account is an option but think his grandparents and a few others already have that base covered so again I want something "different"

The "little man" has been a breath of fresh air (for the Mrs in particular) as we have endured a few stressful years of trying to start a family so our involvement in his life is that bit more special for us.

My friend loves my obsession with watches and I've actually sourced him a few Oris's so a watch of some description might be an idea, possibly with the caseback engraved to mark the event. Given the occasion new would be preferred but open to suggestions.

Any thoughts people? Doesn't have to be limited to a watch............can be anything really. Budget I'd say would be £500.00 or less for the right gift.

Appreciate the input.

Re: Gift for godson.........

We bought our godson a brass compass and had a verse about the direction of life inscribed on the back with his christening date :)
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Banned

Rob,

Get the little fella a pocket watch. I've just done a Google search for a UK purchase and there's loads mate.

Looks a lot for the money, a great keepsake and a touch more area on the item to engrave.

You can get them in nice presentation boxes too. I would certainly not turn my nose up at such a gift.

It's something to help him remember his godparents love him and better than a silver tankard for sure :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66
    Rob,

Get the little fella a pocket watch. I've just done a Google search for a UK purchase and there's loads mate.

Looks a lot for the money, a great keepsake and a touch more area on the item to engrave.

You can get them in nice presentation boxes too. I would certainly not turn my nose up at such a gift.

It's something to help him remember his godparents love him and better than a silver tankard for sure :wink:
    Go for a vintage pocket watch and you could get a very nice movement for that price, I daresay. The American manufacturers especially produced very nice pocket watches, although the damaskeening and decoration sometimes looks a bit OTT to my mind. (As did English makers, but they're probably more expensive and the aesthetic is different).

Excellent suggestions. Please keep them coming.

Steve - my friend did mention a pocket watch the other week for himself so appreciate you kicking my thought process back in to gear. Indirectly he will get some satisfaction from it as well which is nice! The last pocket watch I had I fiddled with and it broke in to a 1000 pieces (think it was an Ingersol). Any particular ones that are better than others (Bremont one aside)? Not being lazy.....I will be having a search but have visions of someone saying "You bought what? Why didn't you buy this!"

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    What about ride on toys? But do not buy a cheaper unit. Spend the money for a good one and you won't regret it.
    I'd hope the OP would have the gift sorted by now...

A pocket watch is a nice idea, I thought it was traditional to buy a gift made of silver for a christening, so a silver cased pocket watch would fit the bill.

Edit...
    Sorry just seen the date of the OP, the kid is likely to be looking for driving lessons soon....

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    What about ride on toys? But do not buy a cheaper unit. Spend the money for a good one and you won't regret it.
    I am not sure how you dug up this thread or imagined if an answer would be relevant nine years later.