timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bremont Martin Baker 1.5 - The Review

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

Re: Bremont Martin Baker 1.5 - The Review

[quote=Neil.C]
    Quote Originally Posted by "PIERS (UK)":uoycxyks

...Bremont's attention to detail (i.e they spend more sometimes on crystals than the movement)
    :shock:[/quote:uoycxyks]
    Sign of a quality brand, apparently
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Quote Originally Posted by Jonmurgie
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath
    bit rude jon - sometimes courtesy is more important than getting the facts right on the forum - we're not all star pupils of the academy of bremont :wink:
    Sorry but I disagree (obviously) as it's a bit rude IMO to come on a thread and spout rubbish without getting facts straight... happens to other brands too I'm sure but yes I really enjoy Bremont do am happy to defend them :)
    Hmm, well I agree with Seikopath here, I thought your response was a bit blunt, and secondly it wasn't a matter of spouting rubbish, but the original post was, imo, somewhat confusingly worded and I too thought that OP was saying that he had an ejectees (is that a word?) version without having actually used an ejector seat.

It was only when I saw the clarification that I went back and properly understood the intent of the original post.

[quote=Scottishtrunkmonkey]
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    Quote Originally Posted by "PIERS (UK)":99kexy6f

...Bremont's attention to detail (i.e they spend more sometimes on crystals than the movement)
    :shock:
    Sign of a quality brand, apparently[/quote:99kexy6f]

:D

Great write up :D
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Master

Nice review.

Apprentice

Bremont MB 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    Straight out of the ejector seat and onto my wrist is this Bremont Martin Baker 1.5. A limited run of 20, produced for ATG Vintage Watches, the 1.5 has the yellow seconds hand and yellow numerals on the internal bezel from the MB1, which is only available to those that have had the pleasure(?) of ejecting from an aircraft whilst seated in a Martin Baker ejector seat and surviving (presumably). Thankfully I didn't need to go through that to get hold of an MB1.5! As well as the yellow details mentioned (which moved the watch from a "maybe" to a "must have" for me), it has some nice engraving on the back and I will shortly receive a certificate of authenticity, confirming it to be one of the 20 made. The watch also comes in a rather smart leather wallet which makes a nice change from the bulky boxes cluttering up my flat!

I had the choice of a green, orange or anthracite barrel, and was swithering between the comparative subtlety of the green or the brashness of the orange, and in the end the orange won (just). I believe I can have this changed at service, so it's not the end of the world if I change my mind in future, but for now, I'm delighted.

The build quality of the bits I can see and feel (the important bits for me) is exceptional. The case is finely crafted and design-wise a nice departure from the norm and the AR is superb (I believe they paint 9 layers onto the sapphire and then harden it!). I've owned a watch or two :D in my time and I know that this is well up there with the best of them. It's all pretty subjective, but I'd say it's knocking on the Rolex door in terms of fit and finish. What really sets the Bremont apart though, is a far more innovative case design than we've seen from Rolex, or any number of established manufacturers, in years, probably Deep Sea included. I love the "sandwich" effect of the case, with the barrel, and caseback almost hanging off the thin upper section that includes the bezel and lugs. Very different from the norm. Little touches like the propellers on the crown and the knurled crowns and anodised barrel just add to the fun!

With regard to the bits I can't see, the movement is mounted in a faraday cage for anti-magnetic purposes, and this is then mounted within the shock-damping system designed in partnership with Martin Baker. There's been a lot said about what Bremont do or do not do to the movement. Only they know, all anyone else can do is speculate, and I'm not in the business of speculating, particularly when, frankly, I don't care. We can be reasonably comfortable that it's a chronometer-grade ETA movement with modifications. The extent of the modifications, and who does them, is up for debate if you can be bothered, but I'm not really fussed either way. If it keeps reasonable time, stays looking good and continues to feel like a well-crafted piece of wrist-furniture, I'm not overly concerned if it's powered by Richard Gere's gerbil running around inside it (as long as I don't have to feed the poor bugger).

Value for money - It's been a hot topic, mainly based on the movement argument which, as mentioned, doesn't really interest me. When considering if I've got value for money I'm more interested in the innovative case design, the quality of construction, the accelerated life testing, salt-exposure testing and vibration testing at Martin Baker and the case-hardening process that has so far survived my usual ham-fisted-no-tape-using-strap-changing attempts! As well as all that, I'm quite happy to pay a premium in recognition of the £££ they've poured into turning Bremont into a strong independent British brand whilst also raising their profile above the level of being yet another obscure back-street watch maker, of which so many have popped up over the past few years. For all that, and the fact that I just like the watch enough not quibble whether maybe it should be £500-£600-£whatever cheaper (not many watches out there we couldn't say that about!), it's worth its asking price. I really like what Bremont have produced here and I'm happy to put my money where my mouth is and support them.

Apprentice

Bremont MB 1.5

Great watch,
    Did you actually get a certificate of authenticity from Bremont verifying that it was one of the 20 produced.
    I just purchased an ATG MB 1.5 here in California, and I'd love to have some documentation from Bremont saying that they only produced 20, and this watch was number ___ of 20.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeeMajors View Post
    Great watch,
    Did you actually get a certificate of authenticity from Bremont verifying that it was one of the 20 produced.
    I just purchased an ATG MB 1.5 here in California, and I'd love to have some documentation from Bremont saying that they only produced 20, and this watch was number ___ of 20.
    Thanks
    Mine came with a certificate from ATG and Bremont, signed by them all. I'll dig it out over Christmas and take a photo of it for you.

Master
    Great review and photos, love the ME109 in the background but where's the Spit ; )
    I was uncertain of Bremont until I bought my first from the Bremont forum.
    Blown away by the quality and well worth checking out in the flesh if you're on the fence.
    My supermarine s500 is a keeper love the MBs

Great watch,
    Thanks
    The watch in this thread is mine, I purchased it from the OP soon after he did this thread.

I don't have the box and paperwork to hand but I do recall that on the Bremont paperwork it is shown as a limited production run of 20 and designated as an MB1.5; however, I do not believe they are individually numbers (ie 1/20).

Very few seem to come up for sale and the last one was via ATG (who commissioned them in the first place) and they seem to be surfing the same upward price trend as the other early limited run Bremonts (I was offered £5,000 for mine last year by a collector). It would seem that the combination of the elements from the MB1 and the very short run have made them quite sought after. Having the opportunity to speak with the English brothers a few years back, I was given the impression that they wouldn't be doing such a low production limited edition run at the same price point again.

Quote Originally Posted by AM94 View Post
    The watch in this thread is mine, I purchased it from the OP soon after he did this thread.

I don't have the box and paperwork to hand but I do recall that on the Bremont paperwork it is shown as a limited production run of 20 and designated as an MB1.5; however, I do not believe they are individually numbers (ie 1/20).

Very few seem to come up for sale and the last one was via ATG (who commissioned them in the first place) and they seem to be surfing the same upward price trend as the other early limited run Bremonts (I was offered £5,000 for mine last year by a collector). It would seem that the combination of the elements from the MB1 and the very short run have made them quite sought after. Having the opportunity to speak with the English brothers a few years back, I was given the impression that they wouldn't be doing such a low production limited edition run at the same price point again.
    The movement / serial number is, from memory, recorded on the "certificate".

There have been a few more since the MB1.5: the Selfridges LE of 10, the larger run of ALT1TUDE watches and the (very, very limited) BC-S2 Special Edition spring immediately to mind. See also recent Topper watch in the US.

Craftsman
    Nice.
    Especially like the coloured knurled case ring - it provides a very different visual contrast

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by AM94 View Post

Interesting, I wonder what an MB1.25 would be worth?!

Apprentice

Thank, I appreciate the effort. Happy Holidays

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Mine came with a certificate from ATG and Bremont, signed by them all. I'll dig it out over Christmas and take a photo of it for you.

something really cool about these.

Journeyman
    Many thanks for a great review.

Apprentice

MB 1.5 certificate

Happy New Year,
    Did you have a chance to dig out the certificate that came with your MB 1.5.
    I'd really appreciate it if you could.
    Thanks
    Lee

Craftsman
    Makes me miss my U-2

Happy New Year,
    Did you have a chance to dig out the certificate that came with your MB 1.5.
    I'd really appreciate it if you could.
    Thanks
    Lee
    I found it.

It's dated, stamped by ATG, and signed by Nick English, Giles English and Al Gibbons.

I also have a hand-written note from Giles.

M

Apprentice
    I found it.

It's dated, stamped by ATG, and signed by Nick English, Giles English and Al Gibbons.

I also have a hand-written note from Giles.

M
    Good morning, would you mind snapping a few photos and/or running a few copies, and posting them here or mailing them to me. If you'd be willing to mail me a hard copy I'll give you an address here in the states. I'd love to have a document to show Al and the English brothers when I ask for some documentation on my watch.
    Thanks for the effort
    Lee

Good morning, would you mind snapping a few photos and/or running a few copies, and posting them here or mailing them to me. If you'd be willing to mail me a hard copy I'll give you an address here in the states. I'd love to have a document to show Al and the English brothers when I ask for some documentation on my watch.
    Thanks for the effort
    Lee
    I'm sure they'll recall the certificate - all of them are on Twitter. Perhaps try that way? I'll send you a photo as well.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just mail bremont customer services, I am sure they will help you with the docs.