closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bremont Martin Baker 1.5 - The Review

Master

Bremont Martin Baker 1.5 - The Review

Straight out of the ejector seat and onto my wrist is this Bremont Martin Baker 1.5. A limited run of 20, produced for ATG Vintage Watches, the 1.5 has the yellow seconds hand and yellow numerals on the internal bezel from the MB1, which is only available to those that have had the pleasure(?) of ejecting from an aircraft whilst seated in a Martin Baker ejector seat and surviving (presumably). Thankfully I didn't need to go through that to get hold of an MB1.5! As well as the yellow details mentioned (which moved the watch from a "maybe" to a "must have" for me), it has some nice engraving on the back and I will shortly receive a certificate of authenticity, confirming it to be one of the 20 made. The watch also comes in a rather smart leather wallet which makes a nice change from the bulky boxes cluttering up my flat!

I had the choice of a green, orange or anthracite barrel, and was swithering between the comparative subtlety of the green or the brashness of the orange, and in the end the orange won (just). I believe I can have this changed at service, so it's not the end of the world if I change my mind in future, but for now, I'm delighted.

The build quality of the bits I can see and feel (the important bits for me) is exceptional. The case is finely crafted and design-wise a nice departure from the norm and the AR is superb (I believe they paint 9 layers onto the sapphire and then harden it!). I've owned a watch or two :D in my time and I know that this is well up there with the best of them. It's all pretty subjective, but I'd say it's knocking on the Rolex door in terms of fit and finish. What really sets the Bremont apart though, is a far more innovative case design than we've seen from Rolex, or any number of established manufacturers, in years, probably Deep Sea included. I love the "sandwich" effect of the case, with the barrel, and caseback almost hanging off the thin upper section that includes the bezel and lugs. Very different from the norm. Little touches like the propellers on the crown and the knurled crowns and anodised barrel just add to the fun!

With regard to the bits I can't see, the movement is mounted in a faraday cage for anti-magnetic purposes, and this is then mounted within the shock-damping system designed in partnership with Martin Baker. There's been a lot said about what Bremont do or do not do to the movement. Only they know, all anyone else can do is speculate, and I'm not in the business of speculating, particularly when, frankly, I don't care. We can be reasonably comfortable that it's a chronometer-grade ETA movement with modifications. The extent of the modifications, and who does them, is up for debate if you can be bothered, but I'm not really fussed either way. If it keeps reasonable time, stays looking good and continues to feel like a well-crafted piece of wrist-furniture, I'm not overly concerned if it's powered by Richard Gere's gerbil running around inside it (as long as I don't have to feed the poor bugger).

Value for money - It's been a hot topic, mainly based on the movement argument which, as mentioned, doesn't really interest me. When considering if I've got value for money I'm more interested in the innovative case design, the quality of construction, the accelerated life testing, salt-exposure testing and vibration testing at Martin Baker and the case-hardening process that has so far survived my usual ham-fisted-no-tape-using-strap-changing attempts! As well as all that, I'm quite happy to pay a premium in recognition of the £££ they've poured into turning Bremont into a strong independent British brand whilst also raising their profile above the level of being yet another obscure back-street watch maker, of which so many have popped up over the past few years. For all that, and the fact that I just like the watch enough not quibble whether maybe it should be £500-£600-£whatever cheaper (not many watches out there we couldn't say that about!), it's worth its asking price. I really like what Bremont have produced here and I'm happy to put my money where my mouth is and support them.

Re: Bremont Martin Baker 1.5 - The Review

Nice one Cliff :thumbright:

I agree with the sentiments in respect of perception and VFM - others may differ.

It's very personal (like all things WIS related :wink: ).

For me, I am seriously contemplating a U2 Ltd. Edition :)
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3
    If it keeps reasonable time, stays looking good and continues to feel like a well-crafted piece of wrist-furniture, I'm not overly concerned if it's powered by Richard Gere's gerbil running around inside it
    Quote of the year :lol: :P

Great review too :thumbright:

Blog Entries

Nice review Cliff.

I picked up a MB2 last week off the forum in anthracite and have had on my wrist since :) totally agree with your comments the case design and finish is superb and very comfortable on the wrist. I got one of the sand coloured straps and it makes it look very toolish :)

Master

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitinheadlights
    Nice review Cliff.

I picked up a MB2 last week off the forum in anthracite and have had on my wrist since :) totally agree with your comments the case design and finish is superb and very comfortable on the wrist. I got one of the sand coloured straps and it makes it look very toolish :)
    Photo please! :)

No 'toilet shots' please :wink:

Fab review, really enjoyed reading it and indeed another owners thoughts and feelings on Bremont as a brand :)

Can't believe how many new Bremont owners there have been on here in the past month... was is something I said ;)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jonmurgie
    Can't believe how many new Bremont owners there have been on here in the past month... was is something I said ;)
    Your posts Jon, plus well thought out reviews, such as this excellent and unbiased (imho) one from Cliff, lead to us looking at brands we have never considered. Sometimes that results in a resounding but qualified and sometimes a purchase follows.

That's the great thing about a forum. People with the same 'hobby', yet completely different tastes in many cases. I for one have converted over to several brands and I am sure I will continue to read interesting posts and discover more and more.

So, keep up the posting!

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66
    Your posts Jon, plus well thought out reviews, such as this excellent and unbiased (imho) one from Cliff, lead to us looking at brands we have never considered. Sometimes that results in a resounding but qualified and sometimes a purchase follows.

That's the great thing about a forum. People with the same 'hobby', yet completely different tastes in many cases. I for one have converted over to several brands and I am sure I will continue to read interesting posts and discover more and more.

So, keep up the posting!
    +1 - amen :)

Thanks...great review of a very nice watch
    glad you chose orange - looks superb
    Goat

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

The crowns being different sizes doesn't bother you then?
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Blog Entries

Thanks guys.

Nice review Cliff.

Your wish is my command :wink: A few quick and dirty pics (nice distraction while the better half watches Big Brother :roll: )

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishtrunkmonkey
    :roll:

Hot diggity - superb combo :thumbup:

Come on mate, be fair the fella is all excited so no need to come and piss on his chips now! Just because you've decided to take a dislike to Bremont there's no need to bitch on and on about it ;)

:roll:
    Serious question mate. It annoyed the sh1t out of me when I tried a MB something or other on in H&I

Craftsman

Great little review of a great piece. Got my MBII this week (thanks Sanjay) and am very impressed. Stunning build, cracking accuracy and something different from everything else out there at the moment IMO.

Thanks guys.

Nice review Cliff.

Your wish is my command :wink: A few quick and dirty pics (nice distraction while the better half watches Big Brother :roll: )

Oh now that's nice. I think I've got movement!

Craftsman

Congratulations on a great watch!

Master

I enjoyed reading that Cliff. Any chance of some caseback shots?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by BigD
    I enjoyed reading that Cliff. Any chance of some caseback shots?
    Me too, i have enjoyed this and all the other threads on Bremont of late. Would also like to see some caseback shots please? :)

M

Master

Cliff, that is a real beauty - truly.

I'm not sure about the orange, but if you can elect to change it at service then that was a risk worth taking as it certainly isn't ugly.

Dead impressed mate :thumbleft:

As for Richard Gere's hamster - if you going to have to touch it please use gloves, as I know where it's been :blackeye:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Very well put Steve. The generally very positive views about Bremont recently expressed on the forum, together with the other qualities of the brand and their watches which Cliff describes, were the main reasons why I bought the ALT1-C. Whilst I have been away on business most of this week, and therefore not had the opportunity to really examine and bond with my new piece, I have to say I am nonetheless thrilled with it.

S

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66

So, keep up the posting!

Blog Entries

Congrats, a stunner!
    Great little review as well, with some good points.
    Now go an end ejoy the beauty.

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Without wishing to comment on the watch (especially as I'm at work and can't see the pics), I would like to clarify a couple of things:
    Faraday cages don't protect against magnetism, they protect against electromagnetic fields (slightly) and electric fields. It's probably not a Faraday cage, but a soft iron antimagnetic lining, and Bremont have their facts wrong. Having said that, it wouldn't be the first time advertising gets the better of accuracy (seen that advert for a face cream containing "naturally active oats?" WTF are they supposed to be?)
    Also, if Bremont claim this limited run of 20 is only for people who have survived an ejection, and you freely state that you haven't, can we not dismiss this claim as marketing rubbish as it clearly isn't true?

I'm not in any way trying to have a dig or start a war- the Faraday cage thing has been mentioned before on here, yet watch marketing people still trot out the same stuff that is plain wrong.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy
    Also, if Bremont claim this limited run of 20 is only for people who have survived an ejection, and you freely state that you haven't, can we not dismiss this claim as marketing rubbish as it clearly isn't true?
    A limited run of 20, produced for ATG Vintage Watches, the 1.5 has the yellow seconds hand and yellow numerals on the internal bezel from the MB1, which is only available to those that have had the pleasure(?) of ejecting from an aircraft whilst seated in a Martin Baker ejector seat
    Paddy, the MB1 was for 'ejector seat' bods. The 1.5 's were produced for ATG.

Not a clue about magnetism, so will leave that for someone else :?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard

M
    Noice 8)

Ah, I see- thanks.

Just to clarify this, the Bremont MB-1 is only available to pilots who've survived ejection using a Martin Baker seat.
    The MB-2 is available to the general public.
    The MB-1.5 was created exclusively for ATG members combining elements of both the MB-1 and MB-2 and with a unique case back. It was limited to just 20 watches all of which are sold.

HTH

Cheers,
    Gary

Too slow again

Ah, I see- thanks.
    Thread fail - do keep up chap and get your facts straight rather than just spouting utter b0ll0x :roll:

Master

Re "magnetism" that was just the term I used, I didn't lift it from any Bremont material. I only got a B for higher physics sadly. :(

That might also be the case for faraday cage. Would you be so kind as to explain the difference? :)

Ah, I see- thanks.
    Thread fail - do keep up chap and get your facts straight rather than just spouting utter b0ll0x :roll:
    bit rude jon - sometimes courtesy is more important than getting the facts right on the forum - we're not all star pupils of the academy of bremont :wink: "A friendly place to discuss watches without oppressive moderation"?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Blog Entries

Posts seem to disappear here :roll: :lol:

Same as IWC, Sinn and a lot of others do, trying to protect the movement against magnetism via a soft iron cage.
    Seems like a good solution, I've never managed to magnetize my watch outfitted with this solution.

Cheers,

Daddel.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath
    bit rude jon - sometimes courtesy is more important than getting the facts right on the forum - we're not all star pupils of the academy of bremont :wink:
    Sorry but I disagree (obviously) as it's a bit rude IMO to come on a thread and spout rubbish without getting facts straight... happens to other brands too I'm sure but yes I really enjoy Bremont do am happy to defend them :)

Regarding the Faraday Cage, this is information from the Martin Baker website: http://www.martin-baker.com/getdoc/5430 ... Watch.aspx
    The inner case that completely encloses the movement of the Bremont Martin-Baker watch also has the function of an anti-magnetic shield. This case is made from soft iron and works as a 'Faraday Cage' protecting the movement from high magnetic fields. In addition the regulating organs and other vital components of the movement are made from non-magnetic materials. The Bremont Martin-Baker watch is thus immune to extreme magnetic fields.

Which is interesting as a quite read of the Wiki entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage) suggests the following:

Such an enclosure blocks out external static electric fields.
    Faraday cages cannot block static and slowly varying magnetic fields, such as Earth's magnetic field (a compass will still work inside).

So I do wonder whether, as Paddy posted, Bremont/Martin Baker have there explanation wrong or whether there is more to a "Faraday cage" in a watch?

Just having a quick read of Eddie's site on the specs of the Speedbird III and it's Anti-Magnetic specs it just states the following:

80000 A/m with anti-magnetic movement cover and movement retaining ring

Maybe that's a faraday cage, maybe not. It's certainly a question to put to someone, somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks
    Posts seem to disappear here :roll: :lol:
    I'd posted a reply, then decided I wanted to add more info to it so removed and re-posted as above...

Jon chillout dude

Cliff, answer the fookin' question :twisted:

Master

My understanding is that the soft iron case (often found in pilots watches) is anti magnetic. See the 6B below...

Faraday cage is a metal cage, your car acts as one if it is struck by lightening. It transmits the current around whatever is in it and then to ground -earth. That was the point as far as I know.

Blog Entries

Mystery solved Jon.
    Now let's wait for an informed answer.
    I for one, am glad to know, that, when lightning strikes, you are safe with a Bremont on your wrist :wink:

Cheers,

Daddel.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks
    Mystery solved Jon.
    Now let's wait for an informed answer.
    I for one, am glad to know, that, when lightning strikes, you are safe with a Bremont on your wrist :wink:

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Or indeed a cat

A Faraday cage is a metallic enclosure that prevents the entry or escape of an electromagnetic field (EM field). An ideal Faraday cage consists of an unbroken, perfectly conducting shell. This ideal cannot be achieved in practice, but can be approached by using fine-mesh copper screening. (from elsewhere on the www)
    It is designed to conduct electricity, either in a current or a field, around an obstacle, or contain the same. Since it is ideally made of copper, which is non-magnetic, one can infer that it has nothing to do with magnetism.
    The soft iron components that give a watch movement protection from magnetism act like a magnetism sink, rather than a conducting cage.

To give due credit to Bremont, they do put the term Faraday cage in inverted commas.

So what's a 'regulating organ' then :D (That's not in quotes on Bremont's page)

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard

M

Any reason it is not screwed all round?

I wouldn't have thought just screwing at top and bottom would give the best seal?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    Any reason it is not screwed all round?

I wouldn't have thought just screwing at top and bottom would give the best seal?
    Looking at these picture of an MB2 with the caseback off you can see that the left and right sides were you'd expect there to be threads for the caseback have screws into something else (maybe the top case, though that's a guess and it's hard to tell).

You can also see the "faraday cage" there and the anit-shock mount.

Here is an exploded diagram of the Martin Baker watch, though it doesn't show the caseback screws it does show that the top case is screwed into the barrel from the front, so not sure what those 2 screws we can see above are for.

Master

First of all nice pics and good review, thanks.
    Very interesting to see the anti shock device; its a mixture of the the old Sinn 244 ti system using rubber balls and the and the thick Certina rubber seal.
    May I ask what the RRP of the Bremont MB 2 is please.

Quote Originally Posted by Dibetu
    May I ask what the RRP of the Bremont MB 2 is please.
    £2895 though as it's a regular production model I'm sure discount can be negotiated on that :)

Nice review, Cliff, and congrats on the watch. Good to see so many converts to the Bremont brand (it almost seems like a cult, at times :lol: ).

I was at Pipedreamers house the day his 1.5 arrived and I was impressed. The watch seems very well built, and from what I've seen the customer service they are supporting customers with is outstanding.

There will always be people who rubbish the brand because of the cost v. lack of in-house movement debate, but I'm with you in saying this is less of an issue for me. Enjoy it :)

Superb Cliff, absolutely love the cases on these, enjoy 8)

Banned

Great review of a great watch. Hope it brings you as much pleasure as mine do! 8)

Superb review and photos cliff. I've seen you've been ready to join the bremont (dare I say it here :lol: ) elite on tz-uk. You've got a future classic and I only wish I could afford a 1.5 instead I'll be happy with a MBII or U2 next year.

As far as I am concerned, better to buy one watch worth 2,800 than 2 or 3 for half the price even if the movement is similar. Bremont's attention to detail (i.e they spend more sometimes on crystals than the movement) so you know that the quality of finish is top notch - become an owner and you'll agree it's a quality brand - if you don't agree then stick with your cheaper instruments - they'll still keep the time... but I know what I would prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by PIERS (UK)

...Bremont's attention to detail (i.e they spend more sometimes on crystals than the movement)
    :shock:
    Cheers,
    Neil.