closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: beginners watch repair/mod kit

beginners watch repair/mod kit

hi guys

I want to try my hand at repairing a few items, any advice on what a small starter kit of tools should be? there is a helpful shop in Clerkenwell, London which seem to have a few bits

I've a Seiko or two that don't work, maybe watch that I'd like to service and then swap the movement over on too

thanks in advance

Master

Re: beginners watch repair/mod kit

In the order that you'll need them:

Springbar tool
    Caseback opener
    Screwdrivers
    Movement holder
    Magnifier
    Tweezers
    Hand removing & fitting tools

For servicing, add these:

More tweezers
    Ultrasonic tank & cleaning fluids
    Oil & oilers
    Silicone grease

There are other tools that make life easier:

Case holder
    Bracelet pin remover
    Parts containers
    Oil cups

It's easy to spend a grand on quality tools and consumables

Quote Originally Posted by clockworks
    In the order that you'll need them:

Springbar tool
    Caseback opener
    Screwdrivers
    Movement holder
    Magnifier
    Tweezers
    Hand removing & fitting tools

For servicing, add these:

More tweezers
    Ultrasonic tank & cleaning fluids
    Oil & oilers
    Silicone grease

There are other tools that make life easier:

Case holder
    Bracelet pin remover
    Parts containers
    Oil cups

It's easy to spend a grand on quality tools and consumables
    And where would you suggest is a good place to get this stuff? I bought one of those Indian-assembled tool packs from ebay with most things in it, but the quality is fairly rank, and stuff bends, breaks or just plain doesn't fit. Is there a source of reasonable price but worthy tools?

Then next, are there any online sources on how to start taking apart a watch properly, and what to do, or would one need to purchase a book? I know it's a whole bunch of questions, but I for one have a whole load of grimy cheapos that I'd like to get going and have the satisfaction of wearing, knowing that I'd serviced them. TIA

Master

Depends what you call "reasonable price". Most of my tools come from Cousins Material House - probably the biggest supplier in the UK these days. Everything that I've bought from them has been fit for purpose.
    It's possible to find Bergeon or AF (two good manufacturers) tools on eBay, but they might be fakes. I stick to Cousins. Good tools will last a lifetime.

Ultrasonic cleaners, case openers, crystal presses and bracelet pin removers of acceptable quality can be found on eBay.

Thanks, that's a good place to start - I had already noted that Burgeon stuff from Asia is likely to be fake!

Master

As for on-line resources, a good place to start might be the "6309" sub-forum on S&CWF. There's a rebuild/mod "school" for these vintage Seiko divers due to start next month. The idea is that you sign up to follow the thread, and get discount codes for parts and tools from certain suppliers. The rebuild will be covered in easy stages, with the participants posting info as they go.
    Although it's not been planned as a full servicing guide, several members seem interested in following that route.

Even if you don't have a 6309, it should help you with just about any basic auto.

Quote Originally Posted by clockworks
    As for on-line resources, a good place to start might be the "6309" sub-forum on S&CWF. There's a rebuild/mod "school" for these vintage Seiko divers due to start next month. The idea is that you sign up to follow the thread, and get discount codes for parts and tools from certain suppliers. The rebuild will be covered in easy stages, with the participants posting info as they go.
    Although it's not been planned as a full servicing guide, several members seem interested in following that route.

Even if you don't have a 6309, it should help you with just about any basic auto.

Sounds good timing on my part, as I have an old 6309 that has never been cracked open. Did try once, nearly broke my fingers doing it, no chance!

Blog Entries

thanks for that it sounds really good.i bought an old seiko off the bay with every intention of having a go at it myself but it went in a drawer and never saw the light of day again.may give me the motivation to dig it out :)

cheers,mick

Master

See you guys on the 6309 school thread. I've done a few of these (complete strips and mods), so hopefully I'll be able to contribute something useful, and learn some new tricks at the same time.

thanks guys, I think the 6309 subforum on SCWF sounds like a good way to start, does anyone please have a link to this? I'm struggling to find it with google

I'll have a look at Cousins too- I dig tools

thanks a lot for all the advice!

Master

Blog Entries

great link,thanks for that :D

Journeyman

Erkahund on ebay has a nice kit available sometimes, I picked one up a few months ago.