closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Traser, Suunto, G-Shock or other??

Journeyman

Traser, Suunto, G-Shock or other??

Gents I'm after a watch for work as a daily beater, I'm in the military so was thinking along the lines of the above?

Any help/tips would be greatly welcomed

Thanks

Nathan

Re: Traser, Suunto, G-Shock or other??

G-SHOCK GW-M5600 or GW-6900.

I've got a Suunto Core Alu Brown. Only downside of this model is that it's hard to see the display in direct sunlight. if i bought another, it would be one of the lighter faced models

It's a great watch and has proved very durable during both daily work and a few off track trips (trekking in Nepal, climbing in Europe etc)

John

Just suffered the work watch dilemma myself mate, ordered a g shock mudman which is now in the post :D

Ryan

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

g-shock for me.

Quote Originally Posted by simmo
    I'm after a watch for work as a daily beater, I'm in the military so was thinking along the lines of the above?
    Nathan

Which branch of the military? Do you prefer analogue or digital watches? WIll you need a stopwatch function? Would a bright lume (ie Tritium GTLSs) be an embarrassment?

All the above questions must affect your choice. I know that G-Shocks are popular with the military (being robust, reasonably priced and functional), but I would like to put in a word of support for Traser and other Tritium lume watches, eg MWC; and I hasten to add that I have no connection to either company.

BobG

From those 3 I'd definitely pick G-Shock :wink:

Another vote for the G-Shock!

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB
    I'm after a watch for work as a daily beater, I'm in the military so was thinking along the lines of the above?
    Nathan

Which branch of the military? Do you prefer analogue or digital watches? WIll you need a stopwatch function? Would a bright lume (ie Tritium GTLSs) be an embarrassment?

All the above questions must affect your choice. I know that G-Shocks are popular with the military (being robust, reasonably priced and functional), but I would like to put in a word of support for Traser and other Tritium lume watches, eg MWC; and I hasten to add that I have no connection to either company.

BobG
    Hi Bob, i'm in the Army and work on Armoured Vehicles but more and more these days I am finding myself dismounted, i currently use an issued CWC G10, but I just find it too small on my wrist and the lume isn't great, TBH I prefer analogue watches and after looking in more detail at the G-Shocks I have to say I'm not convinced, I'm swaying towards the Traser and in particular the Black Storm Pro as it is a decent size and I like the aesthetics of that model

Journeyman

Definitely a G-Shock IMO. Although having bought the gulfman (cos I saw a really cheap deal) I wish I'd spent a little more and plumped for one of the Mudman models. They are very nice indeed and will be my next purchase. (not sure on model number bit it's the one that retails for around 85 quid and has the anodised red internal bezel).

If you go for Traser, you'll get Military personnel discount from Greens who are the UK Importer.

Nathan

BobG
    Speaking as a recently retired member of the Forces and a watch enthusiast i would urge you to AVOID MWC LIKE THE PLAGUE. They are cheap and generally unreliable ripoff's of CWC and many an unsuspecting punter have fallen into the trap. I myself was an early casualty.

On a more positive note, have a look at the Marathon range of watches. They are predominantly analogue, cracking lume (SAR has Superluminova, GSAR has Tritium), produce Automatic models (SAR and GSAR) as well as Quartz versions (TSAR and JSAR). I'm not familiar with the Quartz range as i love my auto's but i've had two SAR's and two GSAR's (i have one of each left) and they are a good size, hard wearing, handsome and accurate. I love 'em and there will always be a Marathon in my collection just as there will always be a Seiko Samurai! :wink:

G-Shock would be the default choice. Traser would be fine too but doesn't have the G-Shock's recessed crystal.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Lee

Speaking as a recently retired member of the Forces and a watch enthusiast i would urge you to AVOID MWC LIKE THE PLAGUE.
    I wholeheartedly agree with that one,

Gents I'm after a watch for work as a daily beater, I'm in the military so was thinking along the lines of the above?

Any help/tips would be greatly welcomed

Thanks

Nathan
    Nathan,

How about this?

Traser Aviator Jungmann

... I'm swaying towards the Traser and in particular the Black Storm Pro as it is a decent size and I like the aesthetics ...
    I see where you're going, but I find the BSP (and some similar models) a bit cluttered with loads of white numbers on the bezel and face contrasting with the black face. Have you considered the Code Blue? Although it has a plastic case, I think I prefer its looks; but that's only my personal preference.

I have an old quartz Commander in titanium (so a nice matt metal finish to both the case and bezel) and the black paint has disappeared from the bezel numbering and it looks better that way (to me, at least). But on my wrist as I type is one of these; small and quartz I know but very clear (click and enlarge the picture).

Having said all that, I'm not in the military (and not young enough to be there) but have long appreciated the lume from Tritium when sailing at night. In the middle of the night it can be quite anti-social to have to recharge the lume using a flashlight if others are on lookout or, down below, trying to sleep.

BobG

Analogue: Marathon TSAR
    Digital: Casio Waveceptor Atomic Mudman

errr...that's it....Sorry but unless you need more than time telling/measurement functions those are your choices....really :!:
    Cheers
    Joe.

Master

[quote=kiki-picasso]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Spencer Lee":33s2e3v2

Speaking as a recently retired member of the Forces and a watch enthusiast i would urge you to AVOID MWC LIKE THE PLAGUE.
    I wholeheartedly agree with that one,[/quote:33s2e3v2]
    Me too, don't touch them.

I have actually enjoyed ownership of a Luminox "Navy Seals" in the past. Now I have a sterile dial Traser Titan Commander (Look at Eddie's Precista version, very nice). It is of excellent quality and addresses all the issues people have with it's originator - the Stocker and Yale P650. Both have a Ronda 715 multi-jewel quartz movement.

How about a Stocker and Yale 490 plastic watch - tritium tubes and ETA 2801-2 hacking movement? They exist with black or olive drab cases and they are genuine military watches. Or the equally genuine 590 model, quartz with date. The 590 now has homages, usually dubbed "P5900" and often hinting at their military service which is, of course, zero.

G-Shock. I'd avoid any Luminox as the one I owned was poorly put together - the tubes were nice but the rest was cheap construction with poor F&F.

If you want something that can take more pain than you, G-shock is for you. If you want something that looks nice, Traser is the answer. If functionality is important, then Suunto. If you expect to get battered, then G-shock is put through tests that destroy other watches no matter how tough they supposedly are. Search on youtube for "g-shock tests".

The funny thing about G-shocks is that this one can take more pain than a Suunto, Traser, Rolex DSSD, IWC Ingenieur, etc:

Of course, if you wore a pink Baby G, you'd have to run ahead of the squad into enemy fire every time just to prove a point. :lol:

Journeyman

Ok so I have narrowed it down to Traser but I am now stuck between two models

The Black Storm Pro

Or the P6600

I have decided to buy new as i can get a decent military discount, the P6600 is a bigger watch at 45mm and it us cheaper by around £40 but does lack the sapphire crystal that is on the BSP

I think the BSP will be more durable and big enough at 43mm anyway :?

BSP looks nicer. The other one has better functionality in my mind as you can run two timezones plus have day as well as date.

I've got a traser commander P5606 and find it excellent. Replacement bezels are only £12 fitted or a matching titanium one is available as an optional extra. I wear it on a black zulu as opposed to rubber and love the weight of the thing.

http://www.traserh3watches.com/en/wa...?kat=2&watch=6

... I think the BSP will be more durable and big enough at 43mm anyway :?
    OK; that sounds like a decision. Just make sure you don't blind someone who is using night-vision equipment!

Journeyman

... I think the BSP will be more durable and big enough at 43mm anyway :?
    OK; that sounds like a decision. Just make sure you don't blind someone who is using night-vision equipment!
    Sure is just made the order, should be here Sat morning!!! :)

Master

Good decision.

I don't like 12-hour bezels that are uni-directional which is why the P650 gets less wrist time than it should.

Unlike the Marathon Navigators which go both ways :wink:

That "P6600" looks like a cross between a real 660 and a Navigator:

I just bought a mudman GW-9010 on a whim as I passed H Samuels in Kingston - reduced from £135 to £67.50 - seen them at about £82.50 online so a good price! :shock: :D

I've gor a Sub for smart days, a few G-shocks, a few cheap Seiko divers and a PRS-17C. IMHO any new G should be solar-atomic, just set and forget, and the mudman has a real quality feel for a G-shock, less places for crud to collect, a nicely protected crystal and it does everything you'd ever need. It also wears quite low on the wrist, and the display is very crisp. Solar 'honeycomb' panel on the face is pretty cool too and it seems to give the watch a more substantial, classy feel if there is such a thing as a classy G-shock. Alarm is quite loud too. :shock:

On top of all this, in my experience they are almost impossible to break and their quality control is something many swiss brands, eg Omega and Panerai, should really look up to - I've had niggles on watches costing a couple of grand, never had so much of a speck of dust on a Casio

Quote Originally Posted by Boeingdriver
    Another vote for the G-Shock!
    +1

Im a big fan of traser/ luminox but tbh if toughness is a criteria then the g wins hands down
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master

Just got a Casio Edifice as by daily beater, half price from H Samuel , chuffed to bits! Was so happy I was actually going to do a review!

Journeyman

Well ordered the Traser Black Storm Pro yesterday at 1530 and wasn't expecting it until Saturday from what the guy said on the phone but low and behold it landed this morning, have to say i'm quite taken with it, I'm sure it will serve me well :)

Thanks to all for the advice :P