closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: where to get bond NATO straps?

Journeyman

where to get bond NATO straps?

Right well I have one of eddie's bond nato straps but i had a nice day of watching some bond films today and in Goldfinger i have decided that it is a Olive and blue strap and was wondering is there anyone who sells such a strap as is pictured bellow?

George

Re: where to get bond NATO straps?

I have always found the ones from Silvermans to be pretty good see http://www.silvermans.co.uk/ProductDeta ... fault.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Jonmurgie

You can pick them up on ebay!!!

I've got a grey bond coming from Australia. The other one is described moss green, although it looks yellow from the picture.

I went for the fabric keeper for added authenticity.

Details and pictures when it arrives.

http://www.natostrap.com/Home/New_Bo...Pages/USM.html
    "I forget who it was that recommended men for their soul's good to do each day two things they disliked ... it is a precept that I have followed scrupulously; for every day I have got up and I have gone to bed."

If only they did them without those silly red stripes!

Cheers,

Here's three variants of "Bond" straps:

L. to r.: an American Ebay seller's "moss green" (more like khaki/gold/wheat), red borders, on black ground. Loose weave, okay hardware, soft and comfy out of the envelope ... Corvus "real Bond" (hunter green with maroon borders on black ground) ... Phoenix "gray Bond" (gray with red borders, on black ground) from RLT Watches.

I like all three, but for different reasons. The Corvus is for my money a superb match to what you can clearly see in a blow-up of the relevant scenes of GOLDFINGER; very tight weave, superb buckle (though a purist like me may put on a stirrup-shaped buckle for authenticity's sake). The "moss green" is simply comfy, no washing or distressing needed to make it soft, so-so hardware. The RLT gray Bond is a nice alternative, looks very nice on a black watch (want to try it on a Steinhart Ocean Black PVD), very tight weave, great buckle.

Mind you, some come with cheap buckles ... putting a better buckle on a cheaper nylon band can make it 100% better.

Which is best? They're all my favorites. YMMV.

Blimey - the leather Natos are nice.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly
    Blimey - the leather Natos are nice.
    ...at $195 a nice price too :shock:

Quote:
    Price: GENUINE HORWEEN SHELL CORDOVAN NATO WATCHSTRAP $195.00 with
    FREE WORLDWIDE shipping.

I should chuffin' think so too... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by groach1234
    Right well I have one of eddie's bond nato straps but i had a nice day of watching some bond films today and in Goldfinger i have decided that it is a Olive and blue strap ...
    George
    I don't want to burst your balloon, George, but in my zoom-in examination of the 007 edition DVD and the later remastered DVD, I can clearly see the maroon (not red) -- some call it cranberry -- borders on green stripes. They may be olive, but I think some's idea of olive is a shade lighter than the hunter green that I see. Mind you, in the early shots (laying the explosive), the lighting is good so one can't blame bad lighting.

The photo that you show is pretty grainy, blown up from ... gosh knows what. I have a few better pics that I can share ... one of the best blow-ups I've seen is on the Corvus Watch company, granted they're selling something there, but my own examination of the DVDs made from 35mm film confirm the color scheme.

I'm trying to find a match for the regimental pattern, with meager (and near-miss) success. I hope to have something concrete when I publish a tutorial for converting a NATO band to a RAF style with keeper later this summer.

None of this is to say that the 2-color patter popularized by GQ (or was it Esquire) magazine isn't appealing, on some watches it's quite nice.

ADDENDUM:

I did some direct screen captures from my DVD of the remastered Goldfinger (removed a lot of dirt and grain, didn't seem to mess with colors too terribly). In my older DVD, the border looks a bit more cranberry/maroon, but you can clearly see the border color. Click the image for full size: