closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Do other brands compare to TF's?

Journeyman

Do other brands compare to TF's?

Over the past 6 months I have been very dedicated to Precista. Bought a PRS-18A just before they sold out, bought a SBIII last month, and will probably buy a PRS-10 or two for father's day (one for me and one for my dad). I've been ebaying to help create a watch fund, but I haven't been able to pull the trigger on a PRS-29 though I like the look.

Like everyone else here, I like Eddie's watches b/c you get a great working/looking watch for the $$$. I love that his watches don't break the bank...and give me much joy to wear. I don't have a firm grasp of Timefactors history, but I know Eddie helped jump start or pioneer the online watch phenomenon. But now with so many of his models out of stock/discontinued, there aren't many more that I'm personally still obsessing over. I'm sure this info is out there, but are there other brands that will help me get my fix for affordable, interesting (homage or not), well made watches?

I fear that most of you will say .

Re: Do other brands compare to TF's?

There are a lot of other brands in the world but Precista.s offer great value for money and are of great quality. I don't own one so i cannot speak not of my own experience :) I don't joy what kind of watch you're looking for but you'll be hard pressed to find a better one for the money. In the wonderful world of Divers there's a lot of choice of well built affordables. But if you want a Speedbird kind of watch it'll be very difficult to find a rival.

Your question is somewhat broad.

If its bang-for-buck you're after, there are lots and lots of threads here but Seiko and Citizen will be good places to start. Recently on the board there's a discussion started by Red Steve of a £40 Accurist.

If its the reissuey/homagey bit:
    Look at RLT watches- similiarish price points but they are often not as pleasing to the eye.
    Look at Stowa or Mkii - more expensive but still stunning
    Look at Chronotac (spelling?) or Alpha but there's the discomfort of a homage of a watch still in production.

I'm sure there are others that I've forgotten over my journey towards nirvana, but I garuntee you'll end up back on Time Factors (or lurking on SC for a Speedbird....or a PRS14....or a PRS53....)

Craftsman

Take a look at Bernhardt watches. They tend to borrow certain elements of other brands but have enough distinguishing features so they don't look too similar.

I've got a Globemaster myself and the finishing quality, bracelet etc are all great for the price. I believe they've just released a new model too, which is an explorer homage but without mercedes hands.

Stowa

TIME FACTORS is the only watch to buy !!! :twisted:
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

mkii is the archrival, with the plus that you can customise but with the drawback that waiting times are endless.

funnily, now mkii is getting too rolexesque for my tastes, TF is going the right way with the Smiths stuff, I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by bubi

funnily, now mkii is getting too rolexesque for my tastes
    The inspiration for the Vantage, LRRP and Kingston are pretty clear- the pricing is creeping towards Switzerland as well.

Master

I guess Christopher Ward could be regarded as comparable (more mass-market, though). I had one of their watches briefly (before returning it as allowed by their free 60 day trial). It was OK, but the quality was some way off my PRS3 LE (IMHO).

Craftsman

Marcello C are worth a look. The Nettuno 3 and Tridente models are very good quality and value for money imo.
    Mark

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

Quote Originally Posted by gentlemenpreferhats
    Quote Originally Posted by bubi

funnily, now mkii is getting too rolexesque for my tastes
    The inspiration for the Vantage, LRRP and Kingston are pretty clear- the pricing is creeping towards Switzerland as well.
    They aren't creeping, they're sprinting.

Back when the Blackwater was around, it sold for around $500, comparable to TF watches. Now, there is a new version of it with a 1.5 mm bigger case and the double the price....

Craftsman

For the price, not really. Some have really no comparison.
    You can get a non common movement (50B), or when Eddie's uses an ETA you usually get a nice bracelet (SB3) or at least something not inspired to Rollies (PRS3). Sometimes you get a double domed sapphire (29), sometimes an automatic chronometer less than 10mm thick (Sewills).

You usually get at least one element that put the watch beside the generic market offer. At the very least, they are usually made in batch not greater than 200 (not millions). Divers from Seiko can be better than those from TF on ETA, but you will be one of the many thousands. I own a 50B and a SKX011J.

For MKII and TF comparison, look here viewtopic.php?f=17&t=38660&hilit=stingray+review

Journeyman

Some great comments and good suggestions. It felt awkward asking about other brands on Eddie's forum. I understand he's more lenient than most and that this board exists because of him. But now after seeing and researching some of the other recommended brands, I don't feel as bad b/c it's obvious that TF stands in a league of its own. This wouldn't be as clear if Eddie didn't let discussions like this take place. So...thank you Eddie!

Although I would like to branch out and experience another brand, it's tough to do knowing (b/c of these forums) the special unique quality to each TF watch (ie. limited runs, interesting history, good movements, double domes, etc).

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by discgolfer
    Over the past 6 months I have been very dedicated to Precista. Bought a PRS-18A just before they sold out, bought a SBIII last month, and will probably buy a PRS-10 or two for father's day (one for me and one for my dad). I've been ebaying to help create a watch fund, but I haven't been able to pull the trigger on a PRS-29 though I like the look.
    I passed the loyalty test. After much deliberation I decided to forgo the "other brands" and try my first hand wound watch, a PRS-29A. I'm really excited to try it on and see if the size is right.