Thread: What do you drive?

Master

Re: What do you drive?

Quote Originally Posted by pastrana72

this one near me has 725HP.
    Nice Supersnake 8)

Master

Did have a lovely E34 M5 3.8 with Kw's, carbon intake, ap racing 6pots, was a lovely car very quick as a few found out on my stag trip this April to the ring.

Whilst on that trip I aqurried a ford Ka for free and this is now my only car, until next year, but I can't decide what to get next.

Will get some pics sorted for this.

Steinhart B-Uhr LE with silver sandwich dial is my daily watch...

My only car...

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c
    Quote Originally Posted by pastrana72

this one near me has 725HP.
    Nice Supersnake 8)
    Rogers car. Was recently up for sale via auction at Brooklands via Historics. Not sure what the reserve was but the guide was £80-£90k and it didn't sell. If Ben's car ended up in a mess, someone driving these without 100% concentration will have an even better chance of putting this Mustang into a hedge, or worse. They are a handful.

Craftsman

My toys (and a Golf TDi DSG for normal stuff) ...

Quote Originally Posted by tmilligan

Is that an original 356? - Very nice!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c
    Yeah, I don't think there is a point to it at all. They could have done the same thing with the car patched up and looking OK. A relatively cheap way for them to get a 500bhp car, but I don't see the point of the crazy bodywork :?:

I remain philosophical about the whole thing really. When you sell a car you've lavished attention on, you'd like to think that the new owner look after it well. But it's no longer yours so they can drive it off a cliff if they see fit. To be fair to the guy who bought it from me, he was absolutely gutted when he crashed and went out and bought a new one straight away.

And that's the one saving grace for TG. They haven't trashed a '68 GT500 which are becoming ever more rare. If I wanted to I could go and buy a new Mustang tomorrow and make the same mods that I did previously.

Still, it's a shame as it'll probably end up in yard somewhere with the other TG project cars, when it could be enjoyed by an enthusiast. It was bloody quick and sounded fantastic 8)
    Gutted to hear about this Ben, I knew the guy you'd sold it to crashed it but the rest was a suprise.
    But on the other hand if you hadn't sold it to him you probably wouldn't have sampled the 964 & e30?
    How's the e36 coming along?

Master

2010 Subaru Legacy STW, 2,5l CVT. Handy on the slippery roads. ;)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by paulpsz008
    Gutted to hear about this Ben, I knew the guy you'd sold it to crashed it but the rest was a suprise.
    But on the other hand if you hadn't sold it to him you probably wouldn't have sampled the 964 & e30?
    How's the e36 coming along?
    Yeah, every cloud has a silver lining and all that. The E36 is coming along nicely thanks. Just had a 2.8 Alpina lump fitted along with some other nice bits and bobs. It also had a bit more weight stripped from it while we were there. Saved 20kgs in the wiring loom alone!

The full list was:

2.8L Alpina engine swap with ECU
    M3 Evo exhaust headers
    M3 Evo decat exhaust
    M3 Evo oil filter housing and oil cooler
    M3 Evo rad pack
    M3 Sump with custom baffles
    M3 Evo brake master cylinder/servo, with new brake lines and remove ABS system
    M3 Evo front cross-member with additional strengthening
    Steering rack to replace damaged one
    Fully strip existing wiring loom and re-wire to bare minimum
    Weld in front section of roll cage to front struts
    Powerflex poly bushes to front subframe and suspension
    Solid engine and transmission mounts

This is how the interior looked previously. The rather nasty “stolen recovered” look.

Then the stripping started.

And more.......

This is our reworked loom in it’s entirety. Unbelievable.

This is the new, sparse, neat interior. What a difference. The vastly reduced fuse box has been relocated to the inside of the car, and all that remains to do is add a kill switch once we've made a panel for it.

Out with the old engine, steering rack, brake system etc, revealing the ratty looking engine bay.

A clean and a few coats of white paint.

Cage front struts welded in and painted

New Evo exhaust headers. Just a tad nicer than the old ones.

New headers mounted on the Alpina engine

New engine in place

Big Evo rad with oil cooler below

Ready for the track again

Ben, that is going to be one hell of a track car. :thumbright:

I love the 964 but this is in a different league for track work.

Master

It's a great car for the track and I can push it so hard knowing... a) it's got a full cage b) if I bin it then a second hand shell can be had for <£500. I was always so nervous about damaging the 964 on track.

It did weight 1,140 kgs before the last round of weight saving, but hopefully it'll be less than 1,100 kgs when finished. No doubt next year there'll be an M3 lump going in there. The old girl has come along way :)

My normal car is broken :( , so this. until it is fixed.

Cheers

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Jonmurgie
    ;
    well I recently sold my Z3 M Coupe which I'd had for nearly 3 years, oddly I don't miss it one bit!

Lovely car there jonmurgie surprised to hear you don't miss it!
    I happen to own exactly the same car an S50 Estoril blue Breadvan. I've had mine a little over 3 years now and still smile every time I start her up. However I don't do massive mileage a year as she's not my daily driver so driving her is always an occasion, two months ago did a European trip with some mates to the Ring, which was a riot!

Craftsman

thought I'd post here as I put up a new thread without knowing this one existed lol

I normally drive my company car which changes all the time - currently a Golf gti mk6. I work for Volkswagen so this can change - sometimes on a daily basis. I also have this though

^^^

Minty! Very cool! :D

Wheels off a 928/944?

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    ^^^

Minty! Very cool! :D

Wheels off a 928/944?
    Don't know TBH, it used to have 15" ones on it but they were knackered. I sold them and then put these 16" ones on - they'd been sprayed before so I didn't feel guilty painting them in Candy White. The colour for the body was colour matched to a 50's looking kitchen utensil in nigella's range :lol:

LOL well if it's good enough for Nigella :lol:

What's it running, surely you've tweaked it up a bit?

Craftsman

LOL well if it's good enough for Nigella :lol:

What's it running, surely you've tweaked it up a bit?
    no its just running a vege 1600 which is stock, its only done about 2k miles on that engine as I hardly use it. I'm determined to get it finished this spring though so may give it a bit more salt and pepper at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash7
    Quote Originally Posted by tmilligan

Is that an original 356? - Very nice!
    It looks like a Chesil Speedster to me.

Bit more poke to go with the alloys :D

There's a couple other fellas here into these things, think there's some piccies futher up the thread.

Master

New beast - sorry for the awful photos but I just got it yesterday. Delighted.

Master

Cliff - looks excellent mate. Needs more info though.

Where have you been? Thought you had gone for quite a while :)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by PeterM

Thanks Peter - it's a 2007 RS4 Avant in Daytona Grey. 414bhp, 19k miles, new tyres, disks and pads all round, it's got the bucket seats, DVD Sat Nav, parking sensors front and rear, daylight running lights, follow me home lights, 6 disk changer and loads of other options that I can barely remember. Was out in it all last night in the Scottish snow. It's a little bit twitchy on brand new Pirellis, but pretty surefooted if you keep the inputs smooth. I got out for a little while in it this morning and found a semi-clear bit of road and gave it a bootful... Yep - it can shift, and that V8 sounds superb too! The car is the reason I have been so quiet on here - trying to keep myself away from temptation, to prevent me spending the car money on watches! :lol:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3

Thanks Peter - it's a 2007 RS4 Avant in Daytona Grey. 414bhp, 19k miles, new tyres, disks and pads all round, it's got the bucket seats, DVD Sat Nav, parking sensors front and rear, daylight running lights, follow me home lights, 6 disk changer and loads of other options that I can barely remember. Was out in it all last night in the Scottish snow. It's a little bit twitchy on brand new Pirellis, but pretty surefooted if you keep the inputs smooth. I got out for a little while in it this morning and found a semi-clear bit of road and gave it a bootful... Yep - it can shift, and that V8 sounds superb too! The car is the reason I have been so quiet on here - trying to keep myself away from temptation, to prevent me spending the car money on watches! :lol:

Mmmmm, totally green with envy! Congratulations on picking this one up, stunning machine.

One day......one day......!!

New beast - sorry for the awful photos but I just got it yesterday. Delighted.
    Splendid mate, just splendid. I'll listen for ya going up the street :D

Master

414bhp
    Oh yes :thumbright:

trying to keep myself away from temptation
    Good luck with that! :lol:

That's one of the few estate cars that really impresses me. What's the ride comfort like Cliff, or is it too early to tell?

Master

Splendid mate, just splendid. I'll listen for ya going up the street :D
    Thank Dave - I'm delighted with it. Once the snow is cleared you'll have an easier time hearing it! :lol:

That's one of the few estate cars that really impresses me. What's the ride comfort like Cliff, or is it too early to tell?
    My last "proper" car was an M3 CSL and the car this replaces is a Z4 on 18" runflats, so the RS4 feels positively luxurious! Seriously though, it's actually pretty composed. I had a run in one with the sports suspension+ and for me, as an every day car, which mine will be, that was too bumpy, but the normal suspension is a different ball game and a good bit smoother. I'm happy to sacrifice any potential additional handling benefits the SS+ may give for a more compliant every day ride. :)

Awesome car that RS. I would love to buy your Forester but out of my reach at the moment :(

Quote Originally Posted by funkyboogalooo
    Awesome car that RS. I would love to buy your Forester but out of my reach at the moment :(
    Cliff is not selling a Forester :?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I look forward to hearing how this one goes Cliff - this is top of my list at the moment but I am slightly concerned at the running costs (brakes etc. rather than fuel).

Anyone else here got a Yeti?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK

I look forward to hearing how this one goes Cliff - this is top of my list at the moment but I am slightly concerned at the running costs (brakes etc. rather than fuel).
    The brakes issue is one I was concerned with too Chris, with rumours of warping etc, and looking at the Audi prices. However, when you look into it, the brakes don't actually warp, they just need to be used hard regularly to avoid "hot spots" - brake pad deposits on the disk, and you can also get them a good bit cheaper from 3rd parties, maybe at 60% or so of Audi price. I had it out for a good run tonight and it is just superb, fantastic car to sit in, much more refined and relaxed than the CSL obviously, but loads of torque and the 5500rpm kick is like warp speed kicking in! Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK

The brakes issue is one I was concerned with too Chris, with rumours of warping etc, and looking at the Audi prices. However, when you look into it, the brakes don't actually warp, they just need to be used hard regularly to avoid "hot spots" - brake pad deposits on the disk, and you can also get them a good bit cheaper from 3rd parties, maybe at 60% or so of Audi price. I had it out for a good run tonight and it is just superb, fantastic car to sit in, much more refined and relaxed than the CSL obviously, but loads of torque and the 5500rpm kick is like warp speed kicking in! Love it!
    Thanks buddy - very reassuring.

Seems the best compromise for me at the moment - warp speed and decent handling and I can get the dogs in the back :)

Might as well join in I have a W12, 6 litre Phaeton dont have any photos with me but its a right old mans car suits me to the ground.
    also have an old audi a6 avant to drag the rubbish in and a 1986 VW caddy to take over from the Audi when I finally get it restored.
    Rob

Master

Quote Originally Posted by rob w
    Might as well join in I have a W12, 6 litre Phaeton dont have any photos with me but its a right old mans car suits me to the ground.
    Nowt wrong with that - it's basically a sensibly priced version of my car but without the stupid bells and whistles and much more comfortable :thumbleft:

You don't see that many on the road either. Top wheels mate.

Master

4.5 hours today washing, polishing, etc etc etc. I know some people enjoy it but I for one hate it...

A borrowed warehouse helped a lot...

And then tucked up back at home...

Master

Makes you sound a bit "Ronnie & Reggie" :shock:

Master

Makes you sound a bit "Ronnie & Reggie" :shock:
    What do you think I need an estate car for Peter? I ain't got no kids or dogs... :twisted:

Cliff, gotta say that the Vorsprung durch Technik pales in comparison to the E-type!

Come on, fess up - what is it? Lightweight E-type rep?

Quote Originally Posted by AM94
    Cliff, gotta say that the Vorsprung durch Technik pales in comparison to the E-type!

Bump!!! Forget the Audi! Show us the Jaaaag!

Lightweight? The car not you! :D

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jonboy

Bump!!! Forget the Audi! Show us the Jaaaag!

Lightweight? The car not you! :D

Sorry guys - missed this - the Jag is my old man's - it's one of three (of which two are known to still exist) alloy bodied "low drag" E-type coupes by Bryan Wingfield. I'll get you some photos soon. :)

Excellent.

There was a chap driving a lightweight e-Type at the last track day I did at Goodwood - looked and sounded amazing.

I look forward to seeing some photos as and when you have time.

Worth a pretty penny then!

Found a sold one here: http://www.classicautosports.com/carsales.htm

Jaguar E-Type, Alloy “Low Drag” coupe by Brian Wingfield, Silver with black interior, D Type cams, beautiful quick car - £105,000 - SOLD

Master

Me at the wheel - my old man must be mad!

Jaguar E-Type, Alloy “Low Drag” coupe by Brian Wingfield, Silver with black interior, D Type cams, beautiful quick car - £105,000 - SOLD
    Wowsa Cliffy old boy, didn't realise it was worth that much. Where's me balaclava! Must remember to silently push it out his garage rather than starting the motherf***er :lol:

Wowsa Cliffy old boy, didn't realise it was worth that much. Where's me balaclava! Must remember to silently push it out his garage rather than starting the motherf***er :lol:
    I may be mistaken but I believe an original lightweight E-Type coupe will be worth considerably more than £105,000.

The current value of a good series 1 or 3 coupe are touching £100k - and original lightweight Jag with provenance would be pricey to say the least.

Most are modified standard cars and as you can see from the ad Jon posted, even they command strong money.

Blog Entries

Well, As it would appear that i'm the only one who hasn't posted on this thread - here goes.

Currently driving one of the most beautiful cars every to have come out of Germany (IMO of course)

Z4 MCoupe with the 3.2 CSL Engine (343BHP) - 0.62 approx 4.8 sec and 0 to a head near you in less than that!

Very rare car and i think 1 of only 2 or 3 in the UK in Silver

A good shout! :D

Now get some CSLs on it... :wink:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lawnmowerman78
    A good shout! :D

Now get some CSLs on it... :wink:
    Yeah. Toying with the idea. That and a Carbon roof and valance detailing