closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 78 of 165 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128 ... LastLast
Results 3,851 to 3,900 of 8246

Thread: What do you drive?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Very nice. I'm on my second Mk1 MX-5, I've also had coilovers (MeisterRs) fitted, along with a new exhaust, a load of other bits and a set of new tyres. I had Yoko Paradas on my last one, they were fantastic in the dry and hopeless in the wet. Sadly the new car (currently) has an open diff and I foolishly went for Michelin Pilot Sports, so while it stops miles better in the wet, it's nowhere near as much fun.

MX-5 NA 1.8. Modified, although not yet engine work (can't decide between throttle bodies or turbo, should be around 180-200bhp after).

Looks extremely tidy, the yoko's are equally rubbish in the wet on mine but unless I'm caught out away from home it won't be an issue.

I sometimes wonder if fitting the coilovers was a good idea as it's now so grippy a lot of the lower speed, back end out fun has gone, do you feel the same?

All I've left to do now is an ally rad, better brake lines, front strut brace and maybe some poly bushes, then I'm done

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Sounds like an interesting choice but not sure how cost / reliability / performance compare.
    I'd say the cost will be about the same, they're just two different routes with one more cost effective per BHP than the other. Both will come with an ME221, which is the bees knees for plug-and-play ecus for the MX-5. The throttle bodies apparently sound superb, and you get more readily available power, and as a bonus the engine bay gets a lot tidier as you lose all the air intake gubbins on the right hand side and front of the engine. Power is about 175bhp but it's an expensive way to get 40ish bhp over a standard healthy engine, as you need to port and polish the head and stick in uprated cams. Turbocharging meanwhile gives you more power for about the same money, but you get higher temperatures to sort out and power isn't quite as readily available. I doubt on an MX-5 it's going to make much difference though. I'll definitely need to fit an LSD, although that's not going to be too difficult. Reliability shouldn't be a problem, and my engine appears to have been looked after well...
    "A man of little significance"

...given the monsoon weather, driving this seems a long way away

Last edited by AM94; 6th June 2017 at 13:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolawinston View Post
    Looks extremely tidy, the yoko's are equally rubbish in the wet on mine but unless I'm caught out away from home it won't be an issue.

I sometimes wonder if fitting the coilovers was a good idea as it's now so grippy a lot of the lower speed, back end out fun has gone, do you feel the same?

All I've left to do now is an ally rad, better brake lines, front strut brace and maybe some poly bushes, then I'm done
    I loved the Paradas on my old one - you knew exactly how much grip you had available and in an MX-5 it makes it very easy to play with.

I really like my Meisters - I've almost worked out the best stiffness settings - and would have more fun if I had an LSD. The downside of tyres on an MX-5 is it takes so long to wear them out it's going to be years before I can go back to Paradas.

I had a front strut brace on mine and it made no difference (other than add weight and get in the way of the air box) so I took it off. I have a feeling an alloy rad will be along soon, especially if I get the turbo, and I have a proper brake upgrade (discs, pads, lines, calipers) planned.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AM94 View Post
    I thought they were air cooled...
    "A man of little significance"

I thought they were air cooled...
    The 911 may be but the D3 Corsa are temperamental... don't really like anything other than a hot (20+) sunny day; therefore, given our climate, as useful as a chocolate teapot. The mechanical grip is immense under perfect weather conditions but scarily unforgiving in anything less than optimum.

I had been pootling around on my 350cc Scooter, but as part of my revised package on promotion I'm now entitled to a 3 Series or an Audi A4.

I've settled for a 14 plate 3 Series for now as it'll be replaced with a new 320 or A4 in January.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I've never had a Jag so I picked this one up yesterday. I know some people say it's not a "real" Jag but it drives lovely, it's comfortable and all-wheel-drive. Best of all, it's low miles, full main dealer service history and it was cheap.

Eddie
    I had the 3 litre manual version of those - lovely car, underrated.

I know it's "only a Mondeo" but people forget that generation Mondeo was a VERY good car and putting AWD, a lovely v6 engine and that pretty body on it made a huge difference.

Enjoy (I did).

Mark

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AM94 View Post

Nice 911 - I still have mine tucked away for a sunny day...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stiglet View Post
    Nice 911 - I still have mine tucked away for a sunny day...

Huge fan of this colour!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've never had a Jag so I picked this one up yesterday. I know some people say it's not a "real" Jag but it drives lovely, it's comfortable and all-wheel-drive. Best of all, it's low miles, full main dealer service history and it was cheap.

Eddie
    These are great cars. For the sake of your wallet, I hope it's a diesel though. I sold my 2.5 AWD to a mate of mine and he reckons it does less to the gallon than his Camero!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    These are great cars. For the sake of your wallet, I hope it's a diesel though. I sold my 2.5 AWD to a mate of mine and he reckons it does less to the gallon than his Camero!
    Mine's a 2.5 AWD but doing not more than 2500 miles a year, it doesn't really matter ;-) Diesel + low miles = DPF and EGR problems.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    I always had a soft spot for the X-type, especially the estate which I thought looked great. Unfortunately when I went to test one back in the early noughties I didn't fit - it seemed like a reverse tardis! Admittedly I'm 6'4, but was still unusual to not fit in a family car back then.

Led me into German cars which always seem to be built to accomodate a large man! Current garage looks like this

I'd say the cost will be about the same, they're just two different routes with one more cost effective per BHP than the other. Both will come with an ME221, which is the bees knees for plug-and-play ecus for the MX-5. The throttle bodies apparently sound superb, and you get more readily available power, and as a bonus the engine bay gets a lot tidier as you lose all the air intake gubbins on the right hand side and front of the engine. Power is about 175bhp but it's an expensive way to get 40ish bhp over a standard healthy engine, as you need to port and polish the head and stick in uprated cams. Turbocharging meanwhile gives you more power for about the same money, but you get higher temperatures to sort out and power isn't quite as readily available. I doubt on an MX-5 it's going to make much difference though. I'll definitely need to fit an LSD, although that's not going to be too difficult. Reliability shouldn't be a problem, and my engine appears to have been looked after well...
    Both sound promising. Most of the throttle body work I've seen is on NSXs which sound amazing. I always think of turbos as being a little agricultural but can see the draw here. If I had a bit more spare cash I'd consider some work to my S2000 but that's unlikely at the moment as the older I get the less power I need.

Be great to hear about the driving experience when you make further upgrades Foxy.

Master

Eddie
    Lovely cars, my wife had one and absolutely loved it!

It was a sad day when it had to go and she has had a hankering to return to the Jag fold ever since.

Craftsman
    I finally took delivery of my Bolt EV!! I ordered it back in February. I finally get to say FU OPEC!!

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    I had the 3 litre manual version of those - lovely car, underrated.

I know it's "only a Mondeo" but people forget that generation Mondeo was a VERY good car and putting AWD, a lovely v6 engine and that pretty body on it made a huge difference.

Enjoy (I did).

Mark

Exactly - I've never understood that criticism of them. I have had a number of Jags, including a S-Type R back in the day, and they were based on the Lincoln floorplan as I recall.

These days many cars share common basic underpinnings, it's what the manufacturer does with the rest that counts.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by wainair View Post
    I finally took delivery of my Bolt EV!! I ordered it back in February. I finally get to say FU OPEC!!
    GM aren't bringing them to the UK which is a real shame as the Ampera (Volt) is still the best of the hybrid/Rex breed and everyone who's interested in EVs is desperately hoping for a decent range (60kwhr+) affordable car.

Craftsman
    The tube (unfortunately)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman

What do you drive?

Yeah it is to bad. Pulling out of Opel really put a damper on developing the right-hand drive version. It's short sighted in my opinion.
    Between the UK Australia and Japan you would think it would be worthwhile for them to develop a ride hard drive variant.
    Last edited by wainair; 14th June 2017 at 18:05.

Craftsman
    Estoril blue z4

Master
    Im still driving this......A year on and 15000 miles since I got my Mustang....

It's now lowered, new wheels, remapped (450 Bhp) and stripes..... still love it the car, had a full service at 10k cost £180 quid at a main dealer..

Master
    Nice

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Im still driving this....
    Not usually a fan of Mustangs, but yours looks spectacular. I love it! An aggressive, purposeful, muscular look. I want one!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pstruck View Post
    Not usually a fan of Mustangs, but yours looks spectacular. I love it! An aggressive, purposeful, muscular look. I want one!
    Cheers.....I had a plan from the start regarding how I wanted the car to look, I waited so long for it to arrive, I had plenty of time to do my research, and check out what the Americans were doing..

Most of the mods are quite subtle, and it's only when it's parked next to a standard one that you can really see the difference..

It's only 1" lower, any more and it'd affect ride quality, and cause problems on speed bumps etc, the wheels are only 1" wider, but they fill the arches just right... all in all I'm happy with the look, and won't be doing anything else.

Likewise with the performance, initially I was going to supercharge, but I've realised it's plenty quick enough with just the remap, so I'll buy a new watch instead...

Pic of mine next to a standard car..

Only because I like showing it off; I thought I'd share a few pictures of some work I had completed recently on my 147 GTA. It recently needed a cambelt service, so while in I got much of the engine block and fuel injector pipes powder coated. I'm very pleased!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    Only because I like showing it off; I thought I'd share a few pictures of some work I had completed recently on my 147 GTA. It recently needed a cambelt service, so while in I got much of the engine block and fuel injector pipes powder coated. I'm very pleased!

That's is indeed lush

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    07 reg VW golf match 1.9. Cheap and cheerful and has averaged 58.7mpg over the past 1700 miles half if which has been in the lake district and exmoor (if the computer is to be believed). Other than an estate for carting things around, I can't think why I'd need or want anything else.

Master
    Daily we drive a huge but boring Q7 and the wife has a Range Rover Sport(she is from Essex!!!)
    However my two weekend/summer toys are a little different!!
    IMG_4253.JPGIMG_4403.JPG

Master
    Ps please excuse the state of the drive as number one I spent all my money on my toys and number two we are in the middle of getting the fencing and driveway done

Craftsman
    Had to compromise as we only have 1 parking space at our house:

it's big enough for the dog and pram fit in the boot, but small enough to reverse park without too many issues.
    it has isofix points for the baby seat
    and goes 0-60 in 4 seconds and change :)

Untitled by Henry Willetts, on Flickr

Master
    ^^^ very nice.Like the dial bezel nav display. Aston opposite looks cool too

Since 15 years every car sold in Europe is required to have Isofix connectors.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    I'm sure my wife's fiat 500 didn't have them.

Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    I'm sure my wife's fiat 500 didn't have them.
    Every car.

http://www.fiatpress.co.uk/press/detail/106
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by HEN12Y View Post
    Had to compromise as we only have 1 parking space at our house:

it's big enough for the dog and pram fit in the boot, but small enough to reverse park without too many issues.
    it has isofix points for the baby seat
    and goes 0-60 in 4 seconds and change :)
    Not a bad compromise at all!

Love the Macan. We have a GTS as the family car and its great

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Tell that to my 9 year old Astra.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Tell that to my 9 year old Astra.
    According to this link, all 2004-2010 Astras have Isofix: http://www.parkers.co.uk/vauxhall/as...and-equipment/

Master
    Wow, just checked and it has. Bloody good job of obscuring the connections!

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Wow, just checked and it has. Bloody good job of obscuring the connections!
    :-)

Only if you use it to drive to and from work every day.

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    What mods has this had?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    STILL a Volvo XC90 with 7 seats

By the time the kids have left home and I can afford a new fun car they will run on batteries.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stiglet View Post
    Is there a prize for least practical road car on this thread?

In a word. No. Why bother?

Waiting for my Alhambra to get fresh oil and looking at this collection, which belongs to the owner of the buildings and Seat dealership here.. pretty sick. Wouldnt be surprised if these were worth north of 100M

Master
    As I have said many a time before, I know nothing about cars so cant comment on this one other than it looks very fancy, but I love the sat nav screens here - they look really high resolution - I have never seen anything like that before.

I'd never buy such a fancy car though as I tend to treat my car like a bumper car !
    Quote Originally Posted by HEN12Y View Post

Craftsman
    This is a Porsche Macan, but you should check out the Panamera cockpit which is another level up. I think Audi did 1 better though? The new S3 with the special cockpit is entirely a computer screen. And then there's Tesla I guess which puts a PC next to you..!

Master

What do you drive?

This:

Journeyman
    Sometimes this

Last edited by Comet; 2nd August 2017 at 22:01.