timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 65 of 165 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115 ... LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,250 of 8246

Thread: What do you drive?

Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    Lovely
    Do you have a collection of nice Mercs?
    Yes, in to double figures now with them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Agreed, very tidy. Love the "gentleman's express" ethos of Alpinas compared to the M cars, and while I find Alpina's modern day body kits a little excessive that older E36 looks the business. No mistaking those wheels, either.
    Funnily enough I was looking for a modern D3 but saw the E36 and just couldn't resist it. Not the sensible option but hey ho.

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    Not the sensible option but hey ho.
    Since when did that matter? Good choice, lots of pics when it arrives please!

Quote Originally Posted by PDE View Post
    Yes, in to double figures now with them.
    Awesome , we need pics of your car collection!

Master
    Alpinas need the period stickers on to look perfect

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Ye gods, I've been here for some time and never noticed this thread. Some seriously gorgeous/interesting metal up there!

I run a very dull diesel Audi company car. And a 1994 W124 estate (seriously worn and tatty looking, if mechanically sound). And this...

It's a 1991 S4 so automatic (same basic transmission as the Merc, amusingly) and it's a full-on labour of love. We've had it since 2007 and after deciding to give it an engine transplant a couple of years ago after it ate a main bearing, we are pretty much stuck with it now - selling wouldn't make financial sense. Which is a good thing, because I love it. The (refreshed) replacement engine had only done 70,000, too. :)

It's a wonderful car to drive - much more nimble than something that size has any right to be, with supremely reassuring handling and ludicrous reserves of grip. it was originally company car for a PCGB regional manager up north and had some nice options including the sport exhaust, so it sounds absolutely lovely (the decat and x-pipe help with this, too). Slow to 60 by modern standards, in-gear punch is still pretty potent, helped by the 4-speed 'box which is long-legged in the extreme. 2nd gear tops out at nearly 80mph and third (the real boomer gear) will go well over 110.

A few years ago, Evo's "the knowledge" section included the 928 GTS, and described it as "big-hearted and beautiful". Yes, and yes (to my eye at least). Wouldn't change it for the world!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    Ye gods, I've been here for some time and never noticed this thread. Some seriously gorgeous/interesting metal up there!

I run a very dull diesel Audi company car. And a 1994 W124 estate (seriously worn and tatty looking, if mechanically sound). And this...

It's a 1991 S4 so automatic (same basic transmission as the Merc, amusingly) and it's a full-on labour of love. We've had it since 2007 and after deciding to give it an engine transplant a couple of years ago after it ate a main bearing, we are pretty much stuck with it now - selling wouldn't make financial sense. Which is a good thing, because I love it. The (refreshed) replacement engine had only done 70,000, too. :)

It's a wonderful car to drive - much more nimble than something that size has any right to be, with supremely reassuring handling and ludicrous reserves of grip. it was originally company car for a PCGB regional manager up north and had some nice options including the sport exhaust, so it sounds absolutely lovely (the decat and x-pipe help with this, too). Slow to 60 by modern standards, in-gear punch is still pretty potent, helped by the 4-speed 'box which is long-legged in the extreme. 2nd gear tops out at nearly 80mph and third (the real boomer gear) will go well over 110.

A few years ago, Evo's "the knowledge" section included the 928 GTS, and described it as "big-hearted and beautiful". Yes, and yes (to my eye at least). Wouldn't change it for the world!
    Sadly, having just sold mine, I'd be inclined to agree with you. Love the 928 but keep an eye on prices as they're very much on the rise.

I know! When I consider that we paid £8K for ours, and at the time GTs could be had for £9-12.5K, the prices these days seem stratospheric. That's a lovely photo btw.

Such a timeless design the 928. However, my Porsche indy pretty much said steer clear.

Blog Entries
    I know! When I consider that we paid £8K for ours, and at the time GTs could be had for £9-12.5K, the prices these days seem stratospheric. That's a lovely photo btw.
    Thanks - it was taken by another 928 fanatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    Such a timeless design the 928. However, my Porsche indy pretty much said steer clear.
    The cars are reasonably bullet-proof, to be honest, so long as the cam belt is changed every 4 years or 40,000 miles and the torque tube is checked regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by BSB View Post
    Thanks - it was taken by another 928 fanatic.
    I recognised the URL - I met Mike at a Tilford get together a few years back, his car is unbelievable. (If only I could commit to that sort of detailing. And stereo fitment!)

The cars are reasonably bullet-proof, to be honest, so long as the cam belt is changed every 4 years or 40,000 miles and the torque tube is checked regularly.
    Absolutely agreed. There's a known issue with the thrust bearings on S4 autos, and many cars on the market suffer from deferred maintenance and/or the inevitable gremlins that take up residence when a car's not used regularly - but much of the car is easy to work on yourself and parts don't have to be horrendously expensive. For example, my driver's window failed last year. Several hundred quid to fix at a garage using Porsche branded parts, or about 50 to sort myself (stripping the door down is straightforward and the window regulator is the same part as used on the Saab 900...).

IME a lot of indys avoid working on 928s because they don't know them especially well - and because deferred maintenance and the car's inherent complexity conspire to throw unexpected problems into the mix.

I recognised the URL - I met Mike at a Tilford get together a few years back, his car is unbelievable. (If only I could commit to that sort of detailing. And stereo fitment!)

Absolutely agreed. There's a known issue with the thrust bearings on S4 autos, and many cars on the market suffer from deferred maintenance and/or the inevitable gremlins that take up residence when a car's not used regularly - but much of the car is easy to work on yourself and parts don't have to be horrendously expensive. For example, my driver's window failed last year. Several hundred quid to fix at a garage using Porsche branded parts, or about 50 to sort myself (stripping the door down is straightforward and the window regulator is the same part as used on the Saab 900...).

IME a lot of indys avoid working on 928s because they don't know them especially well - and because deferred maintenance and the car's inherent complexity conspire to throw unexpected problems into the mix.
    My indy works on this guy's cars, so knows a thing or two about 928s...

http://www.mr928.com/

;-)

;-)
    Heh - fair enough :) . Mine goes to Paul Anderson in Stroud for serious work, and RGA for the more routine bits.

Wow, not one, but two Mclarens! Love them.

These are my relics: 1967 Lotus Elan S3 S/E, which I've had a long time, and the 1964 AC Cobra FIA (a genuine one, before you ask). The Elan is much nicer to drive, but the impact of the Cobra cannot be denied.

A nice low mileage on here https://hexagonclassics.com/cars/por...8-5-4-gts-2dr/

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    Ha - yes. There is also this one, with a rather interesting provenance (and expected price!)...

I'm a sucker for the early ones. I love this with the single mirror but not at the £25k he wants for it.

http://www.mr928.com/car1.html

Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post

These are my relics: 1967 Lotus Elan S3 S/E, which I've had a long time, and the 1964 AC Cobra FIA (a genuine one, before you ask). The Elan is much nicer to drive, but the impact of the Cobra cannot be denied.
    Bloody superb pair

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Chitty is now nicely run in, and the best car I have ever owned bar none. Though not an everyday car, I admit.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Chitty is now nicely run in, and the best car I have ever owned bar none. Though not an everyday car, I admit.
    Isn't it a bit difficult to steer?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Isn't it a bit difficult to steer?
    It is very direct!😜

Wow indeed! Think I'd rather these than the McLarens!

I love watching these get hustled around Goodwood. Do you ever take either on track?

Quote Originally Posted by Jyaque View Post
    Wow indeed! Think I'd rather these than the McLarens!

I love watching these get hustled around Goodwood. Do you ever take either on track?
    I've had the Elan around LeMans (at 120mph), but it's a road car, so the suspension is too soft and too high. I am thinking of doing some hillclimbing though, but its primary purpose will always be fast road. The cobra would be great on track as it's built for racing to FIA rules, and has raced in the past, but we've only had it a short time, so not yet.

Hey thread. I've just sold my Saab on the SC because I've been given this -

It's an '03 plate 530SE Wagon, auto, and about 80k miles. It belonged to the in-laws of a good friend of mine, and was in Holland (on UK plates.) It was reaching the end of its legal period, MOT expiring, etc, and they didn't know what to do with it.

So, saint that I am...

Flight to Amsterdam on Monday lunchtime, train to Leiden, bus to Noordwijk, then a nice dinner and a drive to Calais for an overnight in an Ibis Budget hotel. (Perfectly adequate, like a Swedish prison.) Then up for a run around Carefore for some interesting booze, the 1220 LeShuttle to Folkstone and M20-M25-M40 home for 3pm. Given it a clean and a polish, and tried to get rid of the slightly musty smell, and I'm hoping it'll be my car for the next few years.

The drive across NE Europe was great fun - cruise control set nice and high, I could watch the petrol gauge visibly sink. It's a very good fast cruiser.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Hey thread. I've just sold my Saab on the SC because I've been given this -

It's an '03 plate 530SE Wagon, auto, and about 80k miles. ......
    Love the e39s great cars IMHO.

you sir ,have just "won"
    I wouldn't swap those for anything you can buy today.

Quote Originally Posted by minkle View Post
    Abarth 595 Turismo.

Great looking wee car. I wonder how it would perform against my one litre Fiesta.

Thanks chaps. They are fantastic cars. The Elan was restored over 3 years from a total basket case to what I think is one of the nicest anywhere. The Cobra I share with my father in law, who is an AC expert. He has an amazing racing AC Ace which was restored from an absolute disaster to being invited to race at Goodwood.

I really want a Caterham! I've never driven one, but just love the idea of them. Alas, until I have more garaging space it'll have to wait.

I really want a Caterham! I've never driven one, but just love the idea of them. Alas, until I have more garaging space it'll have to wait.
    Happy to look after either of the other two for you...

Blog Entries

Mike's a top guy. His car is a little odd in that it has the complete GTS rear end but therefore looks great.

I think you're absolutely right about most Porsche Indys.

;-)
    Owned by IMM - Fraser Pemberton. He told someone to avoid a 928????

Blog Entries
    I'm a sucker for the early ones. I love this with the single mirror but not at the £25k he wants for it.

http://www.mr928.com/car1.html
    There is a beauty to the simplicity of the early cars. That one needs its number plates changed for legal ones though. Silver on black is only legal for registrations before Jan 1st 1973.

Quote Originally Posted by BSB View Post

Owned by IMM - Fraser Pemberton. He told someone to avoid a 928????
    No. My indy works on Fraser's cars. He told me that they are best avoided.

Master
    Just purchased this one, 330d xdrive with almost all options. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Just purchased this one, 330d xdrive with almost all options. I like it.

You forgot the 'number plate' option

Renaultsport Twingo.

It didn't come with Ross Kemp in the boot

Shit loads of giggles for not much cash. Plan in the future is to drop a megane 225 engine in then it will be more fun...

Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    Great looking wee car. I wonder how it would perform against my one litre Fiesta.
    I am hoping it is great as mine turns up in a few weeks

Quote Originally Posted by b11ocx View Post
    I am hoping it is great as mine turns up in a few weeks
    I mentioned my one litre Fiesta as it has been remapped to 160hp with 247nm of torque. It's light too. With the Abarth 595 Turismo having nigh on identical performance figures, I know that you will have some fun with the Abarth.
    Last edited by j111dja; 12th August 2016 at 23:03.

Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    I mentioned my one litre Fiesta as it has been remapped to 160hp with 247nm of torque. It's light too. With the Abarth 595 Turismo having nigh on identical performance figures, I know that you will have some fun with the Arbath.
    I hope so although I am dropping 400bhp from my previous cars 560bhp, so suspect that while fun, I may feel it lacking in oomph :-)

I hope so although I am dropping 400bhp from my previous cars 560bhp, so suspect that while fun, I may feel it lacking in oomph :-)
    That is a sincere possibility!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by j111dja; 12th August 2016 at 20:16.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I went from 570bhp to 135bhp. Best decision I ever made. BHP per t was much the same though!

She lays in beauty like the night, of cloudless climes and starry skies. by Ben Wright, on Flickr

Honda S2000. I took this pic playing around with some light painting at a local park. Car is amazing, owned it over 2 years and everyday I still don't get bored of driving it... side profile is my fav angle of the car too.

Master

What a sight and what a great place to live.... Now if you could just get rid of the 4x4 and the red rubbish bin ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by tangs View Post
    She lays in beauty like the night, of cloudless climes and starry skies. by Ben Wright, on Flickr

Honda S2000. I took this pic playing around with some light painting at a local park. Car is amazing, owned it over 2 years and everyday I still don't get bored of driving it... side profile is my fav angle of the car too.
    Cracking pic.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    What a sight and what a great place to live.... Now if you could just get rid of the 4x4 and the red rubbish bin ;-)
    I know, it would've made a much better photo. It's in front of a country pub about 30 min from where I live.

Back driving my Celica, 3-weeks off the road with a failed MOT on the ABS Light. A replacement ABS ECU and Sensor later (not expensive but very hard to source) its back on the road with a new set of Uniroyal Rainsport 3s.

Quote Originally Posted by hoopsontoast View Post
    Back driving my Celica, 3-weeks off the road with a failed MOT on the ABS Light. A replacement ABS ECU and Sensor later (not expensive but very hard to source) its back on the road with a new set of Uniroyal Rainsport 3s.

That looks in great nick. You can't beat pop up headlights.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    You forgot the 'number plate' option
    Haha, got the plate now. By the way, in this country that is by far the most expensive option. In this category the goverment wants about 30% of the tax free price in tax + vat on top!

Really enjoy the ride and the massive torque of the three-litre diesel.

That looks in great nick. You can't beat pop up headlights.
    I won't lie, its what attracted me to the gen-5 over the gen-6 in the first place...

Owned some big bhp Imprezas for over ten years and had a clean licence for the best part of twenty. Bought the Mrs an Abarth in 2014 and had it remapped and within three months I had my first points which says it all really. Not proud but a really infectious car an I'm sure you will enjoy it.

We only use ours at the weekend and have covered a pathetic 3000 miles in 2.5 years but I'm still finding myself looking at the new 595 180bhp.

^^^Infectious sums it up...Mrs Goat has an Abarth, I daren't get it mapped
    it's more economical when driven on "sport " 100% of the time too about 43mpg and redder than a red thing.