timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 143 of 165 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153 ... LastLast
Results 7,101 to 7,150 of 8236

Thread: What do you drive?

Quote Originally Posted by farmkid View Post
    I bought this Z3mCoupe during the first Covid lock down-
    I’ve just done a 2800 miles road trip and I have to say it’s been a total
    revelation- if anyone is thinking about buying one I’d say go for it…..
    in terms of handling and driving enjoyment few cars can match it imho

Oh yes. Lovely thing!

Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk

Master
    Realised that I had posted this on the related WTB but not on this thread. Pic not great due to weather but never mind

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mqP2vi]

2009 E63 AMG, shortly before the 6.2 NA V8 disappeared from that model line. Has most of the desirable extras including Performance Pack and Pan roof etc. Not one for the eco conscious, especially in urban driving but does make a lovely burble at low revs and the thunder just builds as you get closer to the 7000 rpm redline. Not a garage queen and was a little too drug dealer spec when purchased so over the last month or so have uncovered some of the chrome to soften things a bit but still trying to keep it low key.

Master

Was bullied disgustingly on the M4 / M25 today in this, in a way nobody would have if we were in the Porsches. Cars trying to bully me into pulling in through 50mph av speed camera areas where I was already pushing the GPS speed reading.

Occasionally I wish a had a button to jump between cars!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post

Was bullied disgustingly on the M4 / M25 today in this, in a way nobody would have if we were in the Porsches. Cars trying to bully me into pulling in through 50mph av speed camera areas where I was already pushing the GPS speed reading.

My wife drove a “ baby blue” new shape 12 plate mini. Around town and on country lanes it was a hoot. On the motorway a different matter. Despite the 1600 diesel being able to whisk it from 60 to 90 quickly, if you dared to overtake certain individuals, they would either speed up as you tried to pass them or immediately re overtake.

Never seen behaviour like it before or since, I think it was the subdued colour, if it was green , silver stripy anything Im sure it wouldn’t have happened.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    My wife drove a “ baby blue” new shape 12 plate mini. Around town and on country lanes it was a hoot. On the motorway a different matter. Despite the 1600 diesel being able to whisk it from 60 to 90 quickly, if you dared to overtake certain individuals, they would either speed up as you tried to pass them or immediately re overtake.

Never seen behaviour like it before or since, I think it was the subdued colour, if it was green , silver stripy anything Im sure it wouldn’t have happened.
    Yes, certain brands indeed.

I used to have a commute to a station, hence the purchase, and amazed me on the straights how some drivers were up my backside wanting to go faster than my already ‘brisk vs the limit’ was going.

Enter the twisty bits & was always a good set of corners ahead, and the smart isn’t the best at bends vs our other cars. Straight line Germanic drivers (oops gave the game up, but we all knew!) failed to mix the curves well.

Half tempted for a remap to add 42lb/ft & 41 bhp for further amusement.

I've mentioned this before, but I experience the differences in behaviour towards different cars on a daily basis as I mostly drive our 12 plate Smart ForTwo, but my other two cars are a 2006 and 1989 911 Turbos. Everything described above is true in the Smart, while people generally seem weary of the more modern Turbo and like to follow but never (and I really mean never) overtake even if I am driving slowly. I do sometimes get, completely unprovoked "small penis" gestures, which is pretty hilarious. The older 911 seems to just generate smiles and thumbs up wherever I go, which is an entirely different experience. Due to the way I look, aggressive drivers almost always calm down after they see me and do that pretending I'm not there stare ahead, or as in a recent episode literally run away after they pulled up next to me to be aggressive.

Master
    Managed to get most of mine lined up. There is an e31 840 Sport Individual too, but that is SORN at the mo.

I find that the defender and fiesta attract a lot of positive attention. I always wave to other defender ownera, new and old. Great community. Porsches often send back waves and people just want to stop and chat about the fiesta. The perfect way to attract men in their late 30s and early 40s. Much to my wife's ammusement!

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

I've said it loads but that's the exact reason we sold our Smart fortwo. You just get bullied. Same reason my wife loves the GLC.

I would still love a Brabus smart or one of the new electric ones for nipping about in.

An eclectic range of cars above, we are a lucky bunch.

The daily is a Tesla that takes me from Carlisle to Brighton twice a week, and the holiday car is is a Boxter (plenty of luggage space and great when the sun is out).

The car I will never let go.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post

The daily is a Tesla that takes me from Carlisle to Brighton twice a week, and the holiday car is is a Boxter (plenty of luggage space and great when the sun is out).

What a great thing. My fave shape of Porsche.

Moved house last week and for the first time have enough space to store both of these together.

Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    Moved house last week and for the first time have enough space to store both of these together.

Dreamy! Looks great.

I had my M6 and e30 together a couple of years ago. Having two of the same is always a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    What a great thing. My fave shape of Porsche.

Cheers Poppy, I was torn between the 993 and the 964 this one was far too good to pass on, now then, when I win the lottery, a 964 Turbo will definitely be joining it. 🙂

Both are gorgeous... a lovely pair.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I've said it loads but that's the exact reason we sold our Smart fortwo. You just get bullied. Same reason my wife loves the GLC.

I would still love a Brabus smart or one of the new electric ones for nipping about in.
    Keep looking at Brabus ones, but cost to change is too high - and whilst we love the Smart, we also like the fact we can be relaxed about it vs the 981s.

That said I've love the electric one, but my wife's commute is about 6 miles from maximum range; too close to be realistic

Master
    I was going to reply to your Smart experience....but wow, side tracked by this!

I'd be happy just getting the Cayman into our single garage, too long & just slightly too wide.

Z4M 'just' fitted, but it was stupidly tight.

Keep looking at Brabus ones, but cost to change is too high - and whilst we love the Smart, we also like the fact we can be relaxed about it vs the 981s.

That said I've love the electric one, but my wife's commute is about 6 miles from maximum range; too close to be realistic
    Hopefully at some point prices come down on the electric ones. A few years with a regular car has made me miss plastic panels. It was nice not caring what happened to it!

Master
    Hopefully at some point prices come down on the electric ones. A few years with a regular car has made me miss plastic panels. It was nice not caring what happened to it!
    Exactly, no door dings! We are so relaxed parking it anywhere as nobody wants on & fits into the smallest space / tucked into a bay where idiots have parked either side.

I was going to reply to your Smart experience....but wow, side tracked by this!

I'd be happy just getting the Cayman into our single garage, too long & just slightly too wide.

Z4M 'just' fitted, but it was stupidly tight.
    When moving from a flat to our last house my only requirement was to have a decent garage. To now have a double is a dream. But to be fair, the 997 just fits, I think any of the modern saloons would struggle (and forget about an SUV). I believe this garage was built in '89 and would've been big enough for most things back then.

Beautiful! I always had a real thing for those weird vents at the bottom.

That turbo looks the business……I haven’t seen many in red…..
    I’ve always loved the 993, this is my Polar Silver car, it’s a basic Carrera 2 manual…..I bought it about 9 years ago.
    Feels a bit slow compared to modern cars but still lovely for long distance cruising on a road trip.

Beautiful! I always had a real thing for those weird vents at the bottom.
    Thanks, I try to get the best mix out of her, not a garage queen, drive it as much as possible but keep on top of the maintenance and paint.

Funny you should notice them, they are quite subtle when you walk around the car, but in the picture at that angle they look organic, gill like.

Quote Originally Posted by farmkid View Post
    That turbo looks the business……I haven’t seen many in red…..
    I’ve always loved the 993, this is my Polar Silver car, it’s a basic Carrera 2 manual…..I bought it about 9 years ago.
    Feels a bit slow compared to modern cars but still lovely for long distance cruising on a road trip.

Lovely C2 Farmkid, cracking cars, they will out last us, and have more character than most modern stuff, and they feel faster at normal speeds, so you get to keep your license. 👍

It’s a C2S but supplied with a spoiler from the factory.

Lovely C2 Farmkid, cracking cars, they will out last us, and have more character than most modern stuff, and they feel faster at normal speeds, so you get to keep your license. 

It’s a C2S but supplied with a spoiler from the factory.
    I couldn’t tell for sure whether it was an S or a turbo- but assumed it was a turbo ‘cause of the rear spoiler!
    You are right they’ll out last us- superb build quality on the 993…..
    I like the fact they were designed by Tony Hatter who was born in Blackpool, what a career he’s had!

https://www.porscheclubgb.com/commun...he-porsche-993

I've mentioned this before, but I experience the differences in behaviour towards different cars on a daily basis as I mostly drive our 12 plate Smart ForTwo, but my other two cars are a 2006 and 1989 911 Turbos. Everything described above is true in the Smart, while people generally seem weary of the more modern Turbo and like to follow but never (and I really mean never) overtake even if I am driving slowly. I do sometimes get, completely unprovoked "small penis" gestures, which is pretty hilarious. The older 911 seems to just generate smiles and thumbs up wherever I go, which is an entirely different experience. Due to the way I look, aggressive drivers almost always calm down after they see me and do that pretending I'm not there stare ahead, or as in a recent episode literally run away after they pulled up next to me to be aggressive.

Who knew there were so many Smart Car owners on the forum! I bought a 2016 one a few months back, my first car

It's due an 'A' service now, do you folk tend to go to Mercedes for servicing? They want Ł360 to service it and Halfords want's Ł195... but the old adage of 'you get what you pay for' has snuck into my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Who knew there were so many Smart Car owners on the forum! I bought a 2016 one a few months back, my first car

It's due an 'A' service now, do you folk tend to go to Mercedes for servicing? They want Ł360 to service it and Halfords want's Ł195... but the old adage of 'you get what you pay for' has snuck into my mind.
    I go to an independent, smart pricing here - https://www.simonlight.co.uk/servici...vicing-prices/

I wouldn't say they're amazing or terrible, just where I happen to go. I looked on Google Maps and filtered by reviews and they seemed decent enough.

Certainly wouldn't go to Halfords.

I wouldn't go to Halfords. I also wouldn't go to Mercedes at all. The rate they charge is ridiculous, and they replace with new whatever they can get away with. It's even worse if something is wrong on your car because the first parts they change are unlikely to fix the problem, so they'll charge more.

Find yourself a good independent (you have a link above, for example), they hourly rate is usually around half that of the dealership and they only charge for parts that need changing,
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master

Find a good independent and use them, our smart goes to our chap when needed. Porsches get the OPC stamps, but mundane work gets done back and the indie who I trust more & is cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Years ago, when I had a 911, I moved house so my commute was further and deciding not to put the miles on the Porsche, I bought a Smart Brabus. I thought it was an amazing little package. Ultimately it didn't work out for me because my commute was largely cross country and the ride was too harsh, and I found I had to thrash it constantly which led to surprisingly poor fuel consumption. However, I did really like it in so many ways.

I have no doubt though that new generations have improved in those areas, and a friend has two of them in the immediate family and loves them.

Are the newer ones a significant advance? I think my Brabus was about a 2005 one - I bought it in around 2008 and kept it for about 18 months.
    Last edited by TheFlyingBanana; 16th September 2021 at 09:25.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Congratulations ! I moved house a month ago and the gagrge is still full of unpacked boxes !

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Congratulations ! I moved house a month ago and the gagrge is still full of unpacked boxes !
    If I had these cars the unpacked boxes would be in the living room but the cars would be garaged
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    With all this Porsche talk I will share the new love of my life!

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    If I had these cars the unpacked boxes would be in the living room but the cars would be garaged
    The current situation is exactly that!

Luckily the garage was mostly clear, so needed only arranging my own stuff. The 930 had a spot in my father-in-law's garage, but I needed cover for the 997 as soon as we moved.

Regarding the 993, I've never driven one, but it's the exact middle point between my two cars and I would love to try one to compare. I assume it's closer to the 930 though as the basic architecture is the same. My two are only 17 years apart, but the 930 was a 15 year old design by '89. It must have felt like such an archaic car by that point. I used to own a '90 Nissan 300ZX and that felt like a spaceship comparatively.

Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post

Very nice - I really like the colour and wheels combo.

What model is that - I'm not great at spotting 911 variants these days!
    So clever my foot fell off.

That got an audible OOF from me - what a fantastic choice of colour and wheels. Well done.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post

It’s a 992 C2S. This is the 4th 911 I have had (996, 997 and 991) and I was unsure about the twin turbo/non normally aspirated thing but this new version is better in every way. Really moves things on and is bloody quick.

I am also really pleased with the colour combo, bought it without seeing it and it actually looks way nicer in the metal.

992 Carrera S? Not sure though.

Beaten to it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    That got an audible OOF from me - what a fantastic choice of colour and wheels. Well done.
    Thanks, only had it a few weeks and am very happy. Dark green with gold wheels isnt a combo I would have thought of but as soon as I saw it I fell in love!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    992 Carrera S? Not sure though.

Master
    Years ago, when I had a 911, I moved house so my commute was further and deciding not to put the miles on the Porsche, I bought a Smart Brabus. I thought it was an amazing little package. Ultimately it didn't work out for me because my commute was largely cross country and the ride was too harsh, and I found I had to thrash it constantly which led to surprisingly poor fuel consumption. However, I did really like it in so many ways.

I have no doubt though that new generations have improved in those areas, and a friend has two of them in the immediate family and loves them.

Are the newer ones a significant advance? I think my Brabus was about a 2005 one - I bought it in around 2008 and kept it for about 18 months.
    I have a 453 but have driven the others previously. It is a little less crashy cross country, but you can tell you are in a very short wheel based car when you hit a mid corner bump or an odd camber - keeps you alert for sure. Equally on motorways you can feel the wind catch you as you are tall & light. The later generations do not have the passenger seat set slightly back, so are quite a bit wider as a result.

It’s a 992 C2S. This is the 4th 911 I have had (996, 997 and 991) and I was unsure about the twin turbo/non normally aspirated thing but this new version is better in every way. Really moves things on and is bloody quick.

I am also really pleased with the colour combo, bought it without seeing it and it actually looks way nicer in the metal.

Drove my father in laws a couple of months ago, I was also hesitant about the turbo aspect, but the speed at which this thing was capable of moving and accelerating was amazing - I thought my 981 GTS felt it created overtake opportunities, this thing was something else & I really didn't get to give it WOT, so was well within its comfort zone! With the new filters in the exhausts though, I did prefer his louder previous gen car for the noise, but everything else on this was top notch, and a much needed upgrade to the PCM.

Master
    I have a 453 but have driven the others previously. It is a little less crashy cross country, but you can tell you are in a very short wheel based car when you hit a mid corner bump or an odd camber - keeps you alert for sure. Equally on motorways you can feel the wind catch you as you are tall & light. The later generations do not have the passenger seat set slightly back, so are quite a bit wider as a result.

Drove my father in laws a couple of months ago, I was also hesitant about the turbo aspect, but the speed at which this thing was capable of moving and accelerating was amazing - I thought my 981 GTS felt it created overtake opportunities, this thing was something else & I really didn't get to give it WOT, so was well within its comfort zone! With the new filters in the exhausts though, I did prefer his louder previous gen car for the noise, but everything else on this was top notch, and a much needed upgrade to the PCM.
    Agree with the sound thing, all the other 911’s I have had sounded better, they all had PSE’s and produced a spectacular noise. This does have the PSE and it still has that nice flat six noise and the twin turbos are a nice change of sound and still sounds decent when you push through the Rev range but muted for sure.

It is a bit of a shame as that would really make it (in my view) the perfect sports car.

Lovely colours Zanderpants, Aurum gold if that what it is, would be my spec as well.

You can have a run in mine adigra, one thing left to do on mine is fit the new RS gear shift and FD motorsport gear linkage then the car will be complete.

Love it- great choice of spec……love the gold wheels!
    I think Porsche nailed the design with the 992- lovely lines!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    A manual LSB M3 was my pride and joy when younger. Even had matching leather interior (my wife hated the interior and with hind sight it was a bit much!). Keey toying with buying another but I just don't think it will live up to past expectations.
    I had one up until 4 years ago with red leather. Loved that convertible. Sold it for Ł9k, they are about double now!!

Master
    Agree with the sound thing, all the other 911’s I have had sounded better, they all had PSE’s and produced a spectacular noise. This does have the PSE and it still has that nice flat six noise and the twin turbos are a nice change of sound and still sounds decent when you push through the Rev range but muted for sure.

It is a bit of a shame as that would really make it (in my view) the perfect sports car.

It is the best sounding turbo engine I’ve experienced, for sure.

Part of me likes the more muted exhaust depending on circumstances, occasionally in my car I’m in S+ mode, and scared to lift or change gear as there are cyclists / animals nearby & do not want to scare them.

Still not mastered the exact lift off points to really make it go mental, in the Gen3 JCW it was effortless, have has my wife laugh at me a few times in low bridges where all I do is just make noise but no bangs.

The other huge improvement is the steering wheel in your car (and the previous), MFSW at last, it is the one main thing I hate in not being able to adjust volume without taking a hand off the wheel.

My last 2 cars had HUD, I still miss it but not as much as I thought I would - although find the tiny analogue Speedo in porsches rather redundant, especially the graduations.

I go to an independent, smart pricing here - https://www.simonlight.co.uk/servici...vicing-prices/

I wouldn't say they're amazing or terrible, just where I happen to go. I looked on Google Maps and filtered by reviews and they seemed decent enough.

Certainly wouldn't go to Halfords.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I wouldn't go to Halfords. I also wouldn't go to Mercedes at all. The rate they charge is ridiculous, and they replace with new whatever they can get away with. It's even worse if something is wrong on your car because the first parts they change are unlikely to fix the problem, so they'll charge more.

Find yourself a good independent (you have a link above, for example), they hourly rate is usually around half that of the dealership and they only charge for parts that need changing,
    Find a good independent and use them, our smart goes to our chap when needed. Porsches get the OPC stamps, but mundane work gets done back and the indie who I trust more & is cheaper.
    Thanks - seems an independent is the way to go then. I'll start hunting for somewhere in my area

Bloody gorgeous. Well done!

Stunning colour. Is it aventurine green metallic?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Bloody gorgeous. Well done!

Stunning colour. Is it aventurine green metallic?
    Thanks!

It is Aventurine green, really interesting colour, changes depending on how the light hits it.

That’s just so gooood
    The gold wheels really work
    There’s a black cayman knocking about near where I am with gold wheels and a gold pinstripe on black that just looks awesome - this is right up there

Craftsman
    Picked this up yesterday…… love it