closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 123 of 165 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125133 ... LastLast
Results 6,101 to 6,150 of 8237

Thread: What do you drive?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by GregR View Post
    The 993 certainly took a bit of getting used to. The clutch is heavy, the pedals are off-set towards the centre of the car. The steering is heavy compared to a modern car and it has a distinct 'aroma' .. some might liken it to petrol or other fluids used to keep the car going.

It is far from pristine, a 1994 C2 in polar silver, running on genuine Fuchs wheels. I always thought silver Porsches were dull as ditch-water but this particular hue reminded me of my old C5 RS6.

Sitting on 113k miles and just failed an MOT, the a/c leaks like a colander, the brakes need re-doing, the engine cooling fan is shot, the speedo needs a gentle 'tap' to waken it up at times, it has no radio so will be sourcing one of the 'new retro' PCCM modules. Plenty to keep me interested.

I'll probably look back at this post in six months or so and accuse myself of reckless naivete - but I love the little thing to bits! You can use quite a lot of the rev-range at legal speeds, something I can't do in the 599.
    Early 993's were fitted with a close ratio gearbox and are considered by many to be a better drive compared with later varioram cars.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Have we had a pic of the 599?
    Yes, but any excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    I’m only half an hour away so am a bit of a regular in one of my toys.
    Has the food improved? Went a few times last year, food was average and overpriced.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Yes, but any excuse...

Oh my...
    Fantastic!

Kids are finally out of prams , so sold the cayenne and replaced it with this . A much more fun drive than the cayenne.

Sold a few watches (BLRO, Daytona and AP) for this:

Worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love this thread. 5 very different but brilliant cars in the last photos.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    Has the food improved? Went a few times last year, food was average and overpriced.

I’ve been there three times in the past couple of months and the food has been pretty good. Scan a QR code on the table, pay on your phone and it arrives shortly after. This week we had a couple of burgers, two Mac and Cheese and some dirty fries and it was £33.

Trimis de pe al meu SM-N975F folosind Tapatalk

Weather depending:)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    I love this thread. 5 very different but brilliant cars in the last photos.
    Couldn't agree more, mostly cars I could never dream of owning - but more than happy to live vicariously!
    Quote Originally Posted by marius View Post

Trimis de pe al meu SM-N975F folosind Tapatalk

Weather depending:)
    Mustang looks fantastic! What a great pair

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Kids are finally out of prams , so sold the cayenne and replaced it with this . A much more fun drive than the cayenne.

V nice

Master
    Nothing compared to most cars on here but great fun to drive on the twisty Lakes roads and I love it. My Chav mobile as my wife calls it (ST 3😁).

Master

Excellent trade👍

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Nothing compared to most cars on here but great fun to drive on the twisty Lakes roads and I love it. My Chav mobile as my wife calls it (ST 3).
    Where abouts in lakes do you live?

Master
    Small village just outside of Cockermouth.

Master
    Small village just outside of Cockermouth.
    Thanks, I thought I recognised those houses, I thought maybe stainburn seaton Workington or cockermouth
    Last edited by Hooshabak; 13th September 2020 at 10:02.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    Thanks, I thought I recognised those houses, I thought maybe stainburn seaton Workington or cockermouth
    You from round this way? I actually live in Brigham 👍

Do you have ceramic coating on this or the dealer applied stuff?

Master
    You from round this way? I actually live in Brigham 
    Yeah originally, my family live in Seaton

Blog Entries
    A week in, one hell of a leap into the unknown but boy I have so made the right decision.

Full post up on G&D soon.

Pitch

image upload url

Nothing compared to most cars on here but great fun to drive on the twisty Lakes roads and I love it. My Chav mobile as my wife calls it (ST 3).
    When people ask me what family car to get I always say one of these, they are great cars

Master

Me too! I cannot believe how planted and nimble this thing is! And that pdk flappy paddle g/b is lightning quick.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

It defies the laws of physics , Something that high up, that heavy shouldn't drive like it does.

Loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ventura View Post
    Do you have ceramic coating on this or the dealer applied stuff?
    That's ceramic coating.

The car is 3 years old ,but the previous owner was meticulous .

The ceramic coating is unreal. I thought it was snake oil but having got it now on the Macan It works, and works bloody well. The previous owner had it applied.

There is absolutely 0 swirls in the paint.

Love the 993- you don’t see many in wild....

That's ceramic coating.

The ceramic coating is unreal. I thought it was snake oil but having got it now on the Macan It works, and works bloody well. The previous owner had it applied.

I had a ceramic coating done on my black 997 three years ago. Looks great, but when you get the inevitable light scratches you can't buff them out as you normally would because you remove the coating in that area.

Can you buff out the ceramic and reapply it? If you have an area with swirls?

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    Me too! I cannot believe how planted and nimble this thing is! And that pdk flappy paddle g/b is lightning quick.

Now that’s a proper number plate! Not cheap I bet! Looks like a 5 figure price number plate! Nice!

That's ceramic coating.

I thought as much. I wasn't sure whether Porsche dealers maybe had a supplier of German high end coatings, like their equivalents of Diamondbrite etc, or whether it was Ceramic. Apparently there's graphene coatings now also.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    A week in, one hell of a leap into the unknown but boy I have so made the right decision.

Pitch

image upload url
    Look forward to reading your thoughts one that! You will need to add what you came from too for the context. Great looking car, Paul!

Nice. It would be a great place to stick the mother in law when it's parked on the drive and she comes to visit.

Very nice, had mine about 3 weeks ago.
    Last edited by Ruggertech; 9th October 2021 at 00:51.

A bit off topic but I learnt recently my missis drove an RX-8 when she was still living in Switzerland c 10 years ago! And she knew about the Wankel engine - with a perfect German pronunciation of Wankel to boot..

Suddenly loved the woman even more..

Can you buff out the ceramic and reapply it? If you have an area with swirls?
    You can reapply in theory, but it's difficult. You're unlikely to be reapplying to the same thickness and level of cleanliness as the originl coat (assuming it was done professionally - mine was in a bay in the body shop a week when I had it done.)

I've decided to live with the scratches and have the ceramic coating done again when it's warranted.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    You can reapply in theory, but it's difficult. You're unlikely to be reapplying to the same thickness and level of cleanliness as the originl coat (assuming it was done professionally - mine was in a bay in the body shop a week when I had it done.)

I've decided to live with the scratches and have the ceramic coating done again when it's warranted.
    This is the first time I've had a car with ceramic so not sure about the thickness.

it appears to have been done professionally.

Any tips on how to wash it?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewood View Post
    Now that’s a proper number plate! Not cheap I bet! Looks like a 5 figure price number plate! Nice!

Thankyou. Cost me £6k and had a few good offers...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Look forward to reading your thoughts one that! You will need to add what you came from too for the context. Great looking car, Paul!

Thanks buddy and will do.

Pitch

Pitch

image upload url
    Test drove a long range M3 a few weeks back. Jesus. A long time since i've just laughed driving a car due to genuine excitement and joy. Enjoy!

Didn't end up ordering as got a fantastic deal on an XC60 (one extreme to the other)! I did have a Polestar 2 test drive booked as well - haven't cancelled yet just in case

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Test drove a long range M3 a few weeks back. Jesus. A long time since i've just laughed driving a car due to genuine excitement and joy. Enjoy!

Didn't end up ordering as got a fantastic deal on an XC60 (one extreme to the other)! I did have a Polestar 2 test drive booked as well - haven't cancelled yet just in case
    Excellent.

It is the most amazing car I have ever had the pleasure to sit in for tech, media, entertainment system and enjoyment and that’s before we get even close to the brutal torque of the thing.

I would encourage any driver out there to book a hour in the Model 3 Performance, it is clearly the future.

Pitch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    When people ask me what family car to get I always say one of these, they are great cars
    It is quite practical, has a nice turn of speed as well when needed😁

Excellent.

It is the most amazing car I have ever had the pleasure to sit in for tech, media, entertainment system and enjoyment and that’s before we get even close to the brutal torque of the thing.

I would encourage any driver out there to book a hour in the Model 3 Performance, it is clearly the future.

Pitch
    Reading your review is making me want to cancel my XC60 order and take the plunge! lol.

Great write up on that thread - your joy shines through - lovely

Quote Originally Posted by Dakuan View Post
    ah yours has the cool facelift - I keep toying with the idea of getting mine done up like that but then spend the monies on another bike trip instead. Is this your first van? Tis mine, was suprised how well it drives
    If I had yours I wouldn't spend money on a facelift for it, looks superb anyway. Bike trip sounds a better idea.
    I did have a 1974 bay vw about 18 years ago, so this is my first modern van. And yes, drives very nicely, dont miss my car.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    B9 Audi S4 Avant (Petrol)
    LR Discovery 5 3.0 SDV6 HSE

Both are black.. and filthy at the moment. I'll get some pics up when they are clean :)

Small in budget and stature, but such fun that I honestly haven't had a cheesy grin like this since I got my licence 35 years ago.

Last edited by Halitosis; 16th September 2020 at 21:01.

Master
    Picked this up yesterday

My 8 year old son lost it and had a massive grin on his face when I took him to school this morning. Worth it right there.

Got to move my daughter up to her university digs on saturday so maybe should have waited to get rid of my SUV... nah... details.. details...

The 993 certainly took a bit of getting used to. The clutch is heavy, the pedals are off-set towards the centre of the car. The steering is heavy compared to a modern car and it has a distinct 'aroma' .. some might liken it to petrol or other fluids used to keep the car going.

It is far from pristine, a 1994 C2 in polar silver, running on genuine Fuchs wheels. I always thought silver Porsches were dull as ditch-water but this particular hue reminded me of my old C5 RS6.

Sitting on 113k miles and just failed an MOT, the a/c leaks like a colander, the brakes need re-doing, the engine cooling fan is shot, the speedo needs a gentle 'tap' to waken it up at times, it has no radio so will be sourcing one of the 'new retro' PCCM modules. Plenty to keep me interested.

I'll probably look back at this post in six months or so and accuse myself of reckless naivete - but I love the little thing to bits! You can use quite a lot of the rev-range at legal speeds, something I can't do in the 599.
    When I bought my 993 the only thing that really disappointed me was the steering- it felt numb and woolly.
    The car felt more like a GT car rather than a sports car.
    I took it to Chris Franklin at Centre of Gravity and asked him to make the steering more responsive like a 964.
    I wanted the steering more direct and ‘go cart‘ in feel.
    It was the best money I’ve ever spent on the car and 7 yrs later I still love driving it- Centre of Gravity really transformed the car. They ain’t real cheap but they are the best.
    Here’s mine on the causeway to The Holy Island:

Quote Originally Posted by farmkid View Post
    When I bought my 993 the only thing that really disappointed me was the steering- it felt numb and woolly.
    The car felt more like a GT car rather than a sports car.
    I took it to Chris Franklin at Centre of Gravity and asked him to make the steering more responsive like a 964.
    I wanted the steering more direct and ‘go cart‘ in feel.
    It was the best money I’ve ever spent on the car and 7 yrs later I still love driving it- Centre of Gravity really transformed the car. They ain’t real cheap but they are the best.
    Here’s mine on the causeway to The Holy Island:

I'd echo this. Had my E46 M3 setup by Chris, superb.

Master
    +2
    Used Chris a couple of times on 911s...there is no comparison. Before and after is night and day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post

I disagree it’s difficult to cover a small area which has been prepared before, and this is from a man who isn’t particularly handy, and ceramic coated my own car. The difference tends to be longevity, as professionals often use high quality versions, which are baked on. Home use versions tend to max out at 2 years.

The ceramic liquid, applicator, and topper is £50. I rate cquk 3.0 for ease of use and longevity.

You can also use a ceramic topper such as reload, which goes on like a spray wax, and contains sio2 ceramic, but longevity is 4m or less.

However, to be honest, I will not ceramic coat a whole car again. It limits the cleaning chemicals I can use to wash it, and it took 2 full days of prep. I’ll be paying a professional next time or sticking with regular waxes.

This is the first time I've had a car with ceramic so not sure about the thickness.

it appears to have been done professionally.

Any tips on how to wash it?
    You have to be careful with the products you choose.

Shampoo should not have any waxes in it. Wax will top the ceramic and you’ll lose the benefits.

Be careful with any chemicals, they need to be ph neutral for regular use or be aware of the ph level. Each ceramic has ratings but something at more acidic or alkaline levels will damage it if you’re not careful.

I personally use Reload around once a month when I dry the car. It tops the ceramic with ceramic in an easy to apply format. I use it whilst drying because whilst it isn’t as effective, it avoids any difficulties buffing it off properly. Consider it a sacrificial layer, which will last up to 4m.

The biggest area I’ve appreciated ceramic is on my wheels. Night and day difference from untreated. Again, be careful with wheel cleaner.