closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 146 of 165 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148156 ... LastLast
Results 7,251 to 7,300 of 8239

Thread: What do you drive?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I always wonder what Mercedes drivers get up to. Always the lowest miles used of any "premium" car company. Are the cars so bad they just don't use them? We have a GLC and it's average at best. My bottom spec 116d drove better.

Part of me wants to get a V60/V90 cross country but I'm sure that will be the depreciation game on expert mode which means we'll have to run it into the ground.

Funny how my wife swore she would never have an estate due to them being "funeral cars" and now we're 3-5 weeks away from a Tesla Model 3 being delivered she's sending me links to estates on auto trader. She definitely hates the Tesla.
    I ran an E220 diesel for four years as a taxi. The wife has it now and it’s on 142K. Mechanically it’s had a ball joint replaced and the brake discs and that’s it. Electrically I’ve replaced two nox censors (one was under warranty) and the rear self levelling sensor.
    It’s been an extremely reliable car in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I ran an E220 diesel for four years as a taxi. The wife has it now and it’s on 142K. Mechanically it’s had a ball joint replaced and the brake discs and that’s it. Electrically I’ve replaced two nox censors (one was under warranty) and the rear self levelling sensor.
    It’s been an extremely reliable car in my opinion.
    I have no doubt, the issue is London driveways are quite small (I'd have to park any car diagonally) and parking on the high street/in central from time to time could be a nightmare. Wondering how bad they are to live with in reality.

My neighbour has a Q5 and that seems like the limit for space on our drives. We should have a drive by Easter but don't have one currently. If we had two cars I'd get one instantly but in a one car house it could be a headache.

What do you drive?

Do you have more than one car? I only ask as I'm looking at estates at the minute and the 5 series/E class/A6/V90 series cars are much better value and way better equipped than the 3 series/c class/a4/v60 etc.

I'm guessing it's hard to park on the high street?
    I have this, last of the previous shape of 5-series estate (early 2017) as my daily. 535d, 3.0 dual turbo with M-spec.
    It takes five bods and loads of kit with no trouble. 313bhp and 45-50mpg average. In sport/manual paddle-shift and traction off, it is startlingly quick. (Skins my Impreza!)
    I looked at this and the same spec Merc E-class, but the Beemer felt like it had a bit more “life” to it. I also felt a bit young for the e-class, dunno why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 7th November 2021 at 16:55.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    I have this, last of the previous shape of 5-series estate (early 2017) as my daily. 535d, 3.0 dual turbo with M-spec.
    It takes five bods and loads of kit with no trouble. 313bhp and 45-50mpg average. In sport/manual paddle-shift and traction off, it is startlingly quick. (Skins my Impreza!)
    I looked at this and the same spec Merc E-class, but the Beemer felt like it had a bit more “life” to it. I also felt a bit young for the e-class, dunno why.

Do you mean 45-50 on a run, not average?
    I’ve got an E220 diesel that I have had for 5 years and that’s averaging about 44mpg. To get 45-50mpg average out of a 3.0L is incredible.

Craftsman
    Do you have more than one car? I only ask as I'm looking at estates at the minute and the 5 series/E class/A6/V90 series cars are much better value and way better equipped than the 3 series/c class/a4/v60 etc.

I'm guessing it's hard to park on the high street?

Yes we have the RS6 for family duties and is the wife's daily. I drive an e46 M3 during the week.

I agree the larger estates are much better value - and necessary I think. The 3 series/C class/A4 etc are just too small and I don't think you really get much more room than a hatchback.

Parking is not a problem (it has reverse camera and self park function if desired). I always thought A6's look huge but actually once your behind the wheel it feels quite compact.

Master
    I never really 'got' Mercedes, however I was 'forced' into my recent purchase of one almost by default. As I've cracked the 'big 5-0' I decided it was time for a convertible. As the standard MLC 911's in my price range were all ripe for imminent IMS failure and I needed nominal rear seat functionality it fell to the German triumvirate of Audi, BMW and Mercedes in the price / age range I was looking at.

Of the 3 an S5 convertible was my preferred option, unfortunately hanging out on the Audi forums and facebook groups quickly revealed that a DSG that had not been maintained correctly or that had been left to sit for a month or more was a ticking time bomb of bank account destroying proportions. The S5 was regretfully set aside.

An E93 M3 was briefly considered but was rejected as it's utter overkill for my daily use and there was some mutterings about bearings and throttle body issues. A 330i / 335i was briefly considered but good ones are like hens teeth as they seem to be loved by boy racers - every one I looked at had stickers, spoilers or had been chipped also they seem to suffer from an unending tirade of small issues on the forums / facebook groups.

I always preferred the look and all weather comfort of the A207 e-class but the engines always seemed a bit lack lustre and the interior a bit dated compared to Audi and BMW. When a ridiculously cheap one surfaced during the first lockdown easing just a few miles from where I live I went to have a look. The forums and facebook groups all seem to agree that while not perfect the facelift A207 e350d is the one to have being a relaxed cruiser that can get down the road when it has to and doesn't break all that often, sensors, some turbo seals and an oil pump seal on older versions being the main issues. This one being the last production year of the A207 I bought it.

To be really honest I still don't get Mercedes, It's 4.5 meters of car where the roof comes off. It's reasonably fun to drive but the gearbox for all it's 9 gears is a bit of a killjoy. It was hobsons choice but I'll probably keep it for years as it does the job it's supposed to do spectacularly well, that being look nice, and enable me to have the top down in comfort at the merest hint of dry and / or sun - my current 'record' is a trip to Aldi to do the weekly shop (it's actually very practical) with the top down in the winter sun at 0.5c.

It's the German Lexus - who I find a far more interesting brand and once the LC500h becomes something I can afford the e350d is gone. Until then I'm happy.

What I really want is a fully electric, 4 seater convertible that I can buy for under 20k after 4 years or lease for a reasonable amount. Unfortunately everyone wants SUV's so this niche is not being served.

Replaced the old turbo bubble

with a new sleeper of a shopping trolley ;)

Master
    That is lovely, but is not a sleeper at all. Those who know will know.

I had a mapped JCW in the same colour, my JCW of the previous gen was the same as well.

Think it really works with the car.

You will be having some fun in that for sure! Assuming that has the BT exhaust? When that bangs it really is loud; my Cayman GTS crackles lots but nothing like the single gunshot this can sometimes let off - wife used to know when I was nearly home.

I suppose in the traditional sense of a sleeper, it’s not… but it’s not exactly your average JCW either, you really need to know ;)

It’s a great color, past few years i’ve been walking past a similar colored JCW that lives near me, and always thought the pearl white/silver looked great in the (occasional) sun light, and would be the color i’d spec one in, somewhat fortunate this is the only color the car came in.

Yup has the Pro Exhaust, which is really nice. I like the option for occasional stealth mode, not a fan of it not being a hardwired switch mind).
    The Monza on the 595 Competizione had a decent sound, and would similarily pop and bang on overrun, but only had one volume setting (or so it seemed, mechanical cutout would seize now and then), which wasn’t great, so it’s nice to be able to start the car up without waking up half the town.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    I suppose in the traditional sense of a sleeper, it’s not… but it’s not exactly your average JCW either, you really need to know ;)

It’s a great color, past few years i’ve been walking past a similar colored JCW that lives near me, and always thought the pearl white/silver looked great in the (occasional) sun light, and would be the color i’d spec one in, somewhat fortunate this is the only color the car came in.

Yup has the Pro Exhaust, which is really nice. I like the option for occasional stealth mode, not a fan of it not being a hardwired switch mind).
    The Monza on the 595 Competizione had a decent sound, and would similarily pop and bang on overrun, but only had one volume setting (or so it seemed, mechanical cutout would seize now and then), which wasn’t great, so it’s nice to be able to start the car up without waking up half the town.
    Depending on your steering wheel angle, the button can slide nicely to the left & is pretty much hidden. I had mine in the original foam round initially, but loss of a cup holder was too annoying.

Monza exhaust was the 4 pipe one, correct? Was following one at the weekend out in the GTS and he wasn’t giving it any beans, which was a shame as love the noise of them.

Stealth mode does often help with early mornings or late nights.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Depending on your steering wheel angle, the button can slide nicely to the left & is pretty much hidden. I had mine in the original foam round initially, but loss of a cup holder was too annoying.

Monza exhaust was the 4 pipe one, correct? Was following one at the weekend out in the GTS and he wasn’t giving it any beans, which was a shame as love the noise of them.

Stealth mode does often help with early mornings or late nights.
    Might give that a shot for now, I agree, the cup holder isn't the greatest storage location.
    Although i was planning to build a relay to the bluetooth reciever at the rear, and since i have a few blanked of switches (you know, "weight saving".. lol), I'm thinking of getting a spare center console, so i can pilfer one of the switches to wire up as a hardwired loud mode button, which will keep it discreet looking (and easily reversible later down the line, if i use a donor panel)

Yep Monza is the 4 pipe, the two outer run to a cutout flap which is spring loaded, so opens up when you gun it
    Sadly with sprung lever not exactly shielded from the elements, you have to lube up the mechanism from time to time or it will seize open/shut... not a bad thing when it seizes open, till you need to leave early in the morning!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ve got an E220 diesel that I have had for 5 years and that’s averaging about 44mpg. To get 45-50mpg average out of a 3.0L is incredible.
    To be fair I had the 335d touring and I would get 45 to 50 most journeys unless I was having fun with it (my commutes were mainly motorway driving).

I mean average. 44mpg is my average over nearly 10k miles, and I sometimes thrash the thing.

No probs to get 50mpg journey average on a long calm motorway run.
    I’ll take some photos of the trip computer.

Master
    I mean average. 44mpg is my average over nearly 10k miles, and I sometimes thrash the thing.

That’s an impressive fuel return, fair play.

Master
    That’s an impressive fuel return, fair play.
    BMW diesels are amazing. This was the best I got out of a 320D on a trip to East Yorkshire.

Guy who runs a you tube channel George austers recently did a video lands end to John o groats on a single tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynar View Post
    BMW diesels are amazing. This was the best I got out of a 320D on a trip to East Yorkshire.

Over the 3 years and 38,000 miles I had my F10 525d I averaged 48.3 mpg over ownership. Far far better than the merc I have now.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    To be fair I had the 335d touring and I would get 45 to 50 most journeys unless I was having fun with it (my commutes were mainly motorway driving).
    Yes, I had a 330d xdrive and with four people and boot full of stuff I still got 45-50mpg in winter conditions.

What do you drive?

All hail the Merc!

My SLK250D never ceases to amaze me. This is 61.4mpg average on the motorway, speed was variable but at this point doing 70mph at a miserly 1600rpm. The tank will give me around an 800 mile range!

Day to day running in various environments will quite happily see a 50+mpg return.

(Pic courtesy of Madam co-pilot)

Last edited by pinpull; 10th November 2021 at 18:10.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by julian002 View Post
    I never really 'got' Mercedes, however I was 'forced' into my recent purchase of one almost by default. As I've cracked the 'big 5-0' I decided it was time for a convertible. As the standard MLC 911's in my price range were all ripe for imminent IMS failure and I needed nominal rear seat functionality it fell to the German triumvirate of Audi, BMW and Mercedes in the price / age range I was looking at.

Of the 3 an S5 convertible was my preferred option, unfortunately hanging out on the Audi forums and facebook groups quickly revealed that a DSG that had not been maintained correctly or that had been left to sit for a month or more was a ticking time bomb of bank account destroying proportions. The S5 was regretfully set aside.

An E93 M3 was briefly considered but was rejected as it's utter overkill for my daily use and there was some mutterings about bearings and throttle body issues. A 330i / 335i was briefly considered but good ones are like hens teeth as they seem to be loved by boy racers - every one I looked at had stickers, spoilers or had been chipped also they seem to suffer from an unending tirade of small issues on the forums / facebook groups.

I always preferred the look and all weather comfort of the A207 e-class but the engines always seemed a bit lack lustre and the interior a bit dated compared to Audi and BMW. When a ridiculously cheap one surfaced during the first lockdown easing just a few miles from where I live I went to have a look. The forums and facebook groups all seem to agree that while not perfect the facelift A207 e350d is the one to have being a relaxed cruiser that can get down the road when it has to and doesn't break all that often, sensors, some turbo seals and an oil pump seal on older versions being the main issues. This one being the last production year of the A207 I bought it.

To be really honest I still don't get Mercedes, It's 4.5 meters of car where the roof comes off. It's reasonably fun to drive but the gearbox for all it's 9 gears is a bit of a killjoy. It was hobsons choice but I'll probably keep it for years as it does the job it's supposed to do spectacularly well, that being look nice, and enable me to have the top down in comfort at the merest hint of dry and / or sun - my current 'record' is a trip to Aldi to do the weekly shop (it's actually very practical) with the top down in the winter sun at 0.5c.

It's the German Lexus - who I find a far more interesting brand and once the LC500h becomes something I can afford the e350d is gone. Until then I'm happy.

What I really want is a fully electric, 4 seater convertible that I can buy for under 20k after 4 years or lease for a reasonable amount. Unfortunately everyone wants SUV's so this niche is not being served. These guys will help me, I hope, with car finance.
    I also hope that my next car will be fully electric. It will provide tons of advantages.
    The other day I sold my Accord. Still doing some paperwork.
    Last edited by Owren; 22nd November 2021 at 12:38.

Craftsman

Picking up this XC60 R-Design Pro in a couple of weeks. Incredible spec, it seems to only be missing a kitchen sink.

Test drove an X3 but very much preferred the drive and ride of the Volvo.

Craftsman
    A second day with this wonderful thing and I'm absolutely loving it!!! Acceleration is addictive and the tech features both in the car and app are amazing. Plus it's awesome for driving, just feels really planted and the steering is dare I say even a bit sporty!

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

I now have another little Italian classic to go with my Lambretta. A Fantastic Abarth Esseesse from Jay off the forum. Looks, sounds and drives brilliantly and I’ve not had as much fun on four wheels for a long time.

Well after getting hit by a van leaving the Jazz like this

We have just replaced it with a Nissan Pulsar.

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Managed to get hold of a X3 four months old 2.0d M Sport with a few toys Adaptive Dampers Wireless charging Heads up display to name a few. Its a really comfy car and very good in the snow. Averaging about 42 mpg round town and middle 50s on a run. We have gone to one car, now i have retired (don't count the TR6) and it really does do all we need Sohpisto Grey in Xirallic finish. I have had the car Ceramic coated and really glad i did, always looks clean and dead easy to wash.

Had it for a couple of months now ......really liking it

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by steviefleming View Post

Looks amazing, love the colour. Was considering RS4/RS6 but couldn’t quite stretch the budget. Any more pics ?

Master

Love the new RS4, would have one hands down over the RS6 having been around a few of both.

The right colour too

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

IIRC you seem to be a serial RS4 owner. Love the new one's colour btw!

Master
    Had a Santa Fe for a few years and was good but my god it was thirsty.

Having giant children means I need something that has decent legroom. I looked at the A6 and the Superb. Drove both and for the money a fully loaded Superb is a no brainer.

I know it's not a patch on some of the cars on here but I love it, drives well, good economy, enough poke to keep me happy and loads of toys. They've come a long way in the last 30 years, that's for sure!

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Got this 991 GT2RS today- I’m very happy with it….can’t wait for next summer

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmkid View Post

Beauty. Many happy memories of those at circa 9000 rpm. Enjoy!

I bet you are ,happy days

Master

Sorry was feeding children so it didn't sink in its a 2rs, not a 3! Magical car. Has it got any manthey upgrades? Have had a brief go in the Manthey development car around portimao and the sheer mechanical grip it had was unbelievable. What will you be using it for?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gingerboy View Post
    Had a Santa Fe for a few years and was good but my god it was thirsty.

Having giant children means I need something that has decent legroom. I looked at the A6 and the Superb. Drove both and for the money a fully loaded Superb is a no brainer.

I know it's not a patch on some of the cars on here but I love it, drives well, good economy, enough poke to keep me happy and loads of toys. They've come a long way in the last 30 years, that's for sure!

I’ve had three Superbs. The name of the car is well chosen.

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Sorry was feeding children so it didn't sink in its a 2rs, not a 3! Magical car. Has it got any manthey upgrades? Have had a brief go in the Manthey development car around portimao and the sheer mechanical grip it had was unbelievable. What will you be using it for?

I’ll be using it for special road trips abroad such as the Spanish Pyrenees and the occasional track day- can’t wait to have a go around Cadwell Park….

Master
    I’ll be using it for special road trips abroad such as the Spanish Pyrenees and the occasional track day- can’t wait to have a go around Cadwell Park….
    Love Cadwell. What tyres is it on, Cup 2R? Glad to hear it'll get used. I see far too many that aren't.

Amazing! Was at a track day with a 2RS at Cadwell! Mental! I bet you can't wait!

That’s rather special :)

love it!
    It's just a matter of time...

Respect. That is truly epic. Many contrats.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Lucky you, my dream 911; enjoy!

Yeah, that GT2 RS is epic.

That’s stunning! Have you still got the GT3 RS?

Quote Originally Posted by glyn696486 View Post
    That’s stunning! Have you still got the GT3 RS?

No - I sold the weissach gt3rs …. I didn’t bond with the car, surprisingly I much preferred the brakes
    on my gen 1 RS. Anyway - I really fancied a GT2RS and I definitely could not afford one without selling the
    GT3RS.
    I had thought about a total change- I’ve never owned a McLaren or an Italian car- but I’m a Porsche fanatic
    and they are less conspicuous more useable than many cars with similar performance

My first Hybrid, so far so good, I suspect next car will be fully electric …

No - I sold the weissach gt3rs …. I didn’t bond with the car, surprisingly I much preferred the brakes
    on my gen 1 RS. Anyway - I really fancied a GT2RS and I definitely could not afford one without selling the
    GT3RS.
    I had thought about a total change- I’ve never owned a McLaren or an Italian car- but I’m a Porsche fanatic
    and they are less conspicuous more useable than many cars with similar performance
    You don’t need telling you’ve made the right choice over buying something from Moderna or Woking. You will get into this and turn the key and every time it will start! I too am an avid Porsche fan although only a lowly 997 gen 1 C2. I really fancy a 991 touring next.

Do you have any other Porsches?

You don’t need telling you’ve made the right choice over buying something from Moderna or Woking. You will get into this and turn the key and every time it will start! I too am an avid Porsche fan although only a lowly 997 gen 1 C2. I really fancy a 991 touring next.

Like you I also fancy a 991 Touring- but there are only 47 UK cars!

My only other Porsche is this polar silver 993 C2 manual coupe pictured on the road to Lindisfarne.
    I bought it about 8 years ago when prices were low. it’s definitely a keeper, I love it and it has sentimental value in that it was the first decent car I ever bought - prior to this I’d driven a bashed up Skoda Fabia estate for 13 years…….I enjoyed driving the Fabia but it couldn’t compete with the 911.
    The 993 has proved bombproof- other than routine maintenance it wants for little.
    The game changer with the 993 is a trip to Center Gravity- Chris Franklin can set up the steering/handling to make them feel a lot sharper than standard factory setting.

I had a "lowly" 997.1 C2 until recently

it was AMAZING and I drove it daily for four years and 35,000 miles, with snow tyres on in the winters (in Cumbria)
    It had a manual gearbox and a sports exhaust (and no turbo) and I feel bad at selling it.
    But 10,000 miles a year in it, with 4 tyres costing £978, it was not ideal.

I'll probably buy a 997.2 GTS next, manual, sports exhaust, but only do 4,000 a year in it as my second car
    Hooray for combustion engines with gearsticks !!

Down with "performance" electric cars with one gear, one pedal, one dimension, one noise, etc

(But UP with EV for the majority of utility travel in the world)

Quote Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
    I had a "lowly" 997.1 C2 until recently

it was AMAZING and I drove it daily for four years and 35,000 miles, with snow tyres on in the winters (in Cumbria)
    It had a manual gearbox and a sports exhaust (and no turbo) and I feel bad at selling it.
    But 10,000 miles a year in it, with 4 tyres costing £978, it was not ideal.

I'll probably buy a 997.2 GTS next, manual, sports exhaust, but only do 4,000 a year in it as my second car
    Hooray for combustion engines with gearsticks !!

Down with "performance" electric cars with one gear, one pedal, one dimension, one noise, etc

(But UP with EV for the majority of utility travel in the world)
    I’ve had nine 10 years now. It’s up to the dizzy heights of 37000 miles. Had bore score so had that all resolved and a few other bits along the way. It is a good car but rarely used as i know have a growing family.

Master
    I’ve had three Superbs. The name of the car is well chosen.
    It is indeed! Vastly underrated.