closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 120 of 165 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130 ... LastLast
Results 5,951 to 6,000 of 8237

Thread: What do you drive?

Quote Originally Posted by Quality Man View Post
    I seem to be drifting towards the large comfortable automatic category!
    oh yes! After 30 years with manual transmission I had enough.

Automatics are particularly useful in cities with heavy traffic,the clutch and constant gear changing gets old fast!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ubiquitous View Post
    Automatics are particularly useful in cities with heavy traffic,the clutch and constant gear changing gets old fast!
    I have an auto now with paddle shifts I can’t think of very much real world driving were a Manual is better

Whilst autos are being discussed...

What's the scope of an 'automatic' driving licence - is it to drive a car w/o a clutch pedal or where there's no manual change (even paddles)?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Whilst autos are being discussed...

What's the scope of an 'automatic' driving licence - is it to drive a car w/o a clutch pedal or where there's no manual change (even paddles)?
    The former.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    I have an auto now with paddle shifts I can’t think of very much real world driving were a Manual is better
    I have the same and completely agree with you, once you go auto it's hard to go back!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    The former.
    Thanks, always wondered!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Thanks, always wondered!
    No problem

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ubiquitous View Post
    I have the same and completely agree with you, once you go auto it's hard to go back!
    I had to get get an auto due to health reasons but I’m glad I did a lot of people I know seem to be getting them now as they are a lot better than auto boxes a few years ago

I can’t think of very much real world driving were a Manual is better
    What?

A manual is always better unless your car is a slushmatic armchair to get you from A to B.

Next I suppose you're going to say you don't enjoy double declutching, or heel and toe-ing.

Tut.

Life should be a struggle.

AlphaOmega should be ignored. He drives a Civic

What do you drive?

My current car is an auto, got it due to lower back problems.

Current autos are so much better than when I last had an auto with 3 speeds after which I swore I’d never ever ever get an auto.

Current car is a joy to drive and if I want to do some traffic light Grand Prix then stick it sport mode and it becomes a handful.

^I'm only kidding.

Gear-changing will be consigned to history soon.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    ^I'm only kidding.

... Especially as electric cars replace petrol ones
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I had to get an auto (well dsg) due to an old knee problem. Look forward to having the space for an additional fun car which will be manual!

Grand Master
    I bought an automatic 9 years ago, took approx 2 weeks to get used to it, I’d never go back to manual for an everyday driver. Wifeys also got an auto, she says exactly the same. Modern autos are so much better than the cars of old, I wouldn’t fancy a classic with an auto box.

Oddly enough, my bad left knee gives more trouble in the auto than driving my (manual) MGB, it stiffens up because it isn’t being used.

Succumbed and bought a newer car. After years of driving 90s and early 00s British cars, I've gone to the dark side.

It is fast, it is also huge but carries its weight well. I have to say that I am enjoying the modern luxuries of reversing cameras, comfort access, Bluetooth radio etc.

BTW my lovely jaguar is now for sale if anyone fancies a slice of British design at its best (jaguar xkr!)

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Master
    ^ what am entry point into a BMW!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    My current car is an auto, got it due to lower back problems.

Current autos are so much better than when I last had an auto with 3 speeds after which I swore I’d never ever ever get an auto.

Current car is a joy to drive and if I want to do some traffic light Grand Prix then stick it sport mode and it becomes a handful.
    Same problem as you I used to get sciatica come on in stop start traffic in a manual I can even set the electric handbrake to come on if I press the foot brake at a junction in the civic

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    ^ what am entry point into a BMW!!

Yes, my last bmw was a Z3M and that was fab!

Sent from my SM-G977B using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    Yes, my last bmw was a Z3M and that was fab!

Sent from my SM-G977B using TZ-UK mobile app
    A great engine, I had a Z4M for a few years as a garage queen but sold to fund a depreciating asset instead!

Had this delivered couple days ago. First impressions are new car tech is simply fantastic...dual screens in this for MMI coupled with a virtual dash...
    A6 Allroad 3.0tdi..

^ A true bargain of recent times; well done

Craftsman
    Very nice - had same model but old shape - great car

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Had this delivered couple days ago. First impressions are new car tech is simply fantastic...dual screens in this for MMI coupled with a virtual dash...
    A6 Allroad 3.0tdi..

Had this delivered couple days ago.
    Great looking car. Really like the all road editions of estates and at 18% of list it's a cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Great looking car. Really like the all road editions of estates and at 18% of list it's a cracker.
    It really is a lovely bit of kit..and to be pedantic, it was actually £58k list price which means the deal was nigh on 16.5 per cent! I’m very happy with it! Thanks for all the positive comments

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Just like mechanical watches will be consigned to history by digital watches.

What do you drive?

A6 Allroad 3.0tdi..

I thought it was a V90 or a Mazda estate when I glanced at the photo. Also the roof rails have gone back to the style they were 15 years ago. I guess what goes around, comes around.

Enjoy your new car and the gadgets.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Just like mechanical watches will be consigned to history by digital watches.
    Good point. Perhaps I should have said, except for enthusiasts. I'm going to hang on to my manual for as long as possible.

The thing is though, my guess is that at some point, a petrol engine will only be allowed on track. Or perhaps not even that.

Whereas mech watches aren't likely to be legislated into oblivion.

Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    I’m forum hopping and have seen this pic twice in 5-mins! Lovely car, enjoy it Dr.Mike 😉

Looks lovely. Can't remember the last time I saw a three door Golf. Is it a bit lower than standard?

HI Gordon, hi Rob, thanks!

With the new Mk8 Golf only available as a 5-door, the 3-door is set to become a dying breed. Which is a shame, because it's a better looking car, in my opinion. The absence of the rear doors makes it look lower, and slightly longer.

The suspension is standard, so no lowering, and it doesn't have DCC (Dynamic Chassis Control, which firms up the dampers if the situation demands it).

I have a long history of owning and tweaking GTI's, and this thing is on another level in every respect that matters. I've been looking for a while, and had a wish-list (3-doors, DSG, Pretoria wheels, and white, Lapiz Blue or grey paint). I compromised on the wheels, but this one is immaculate, and has only done 20,000 miles. I'm very pleased with it.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Master
    HI Gordon, hi Rob, thanks!

With the new Mk8 Golf only available as a 5-door, the 3-door is set to become a dying breed. Which is a shame, because it's a better looking car, in my opinion. The absence of the rear doors makes it look lower, and slightly longer.

The suspension is standard, so no lowering, and it doesn't have DCC (Dynamic Chassis Control, which firms up the dampers if the situation demands it).

I have a long history of owning and tweaking GTI's, and this thing is on another level in every respect that matters. I've been looking for a while, and had a wish-list (3-doors, DSG, Pretoria wheels, and white, Lapiz Blue or grey paint). I compromised on the wheels, but this one is immaculate, and has only done 20,000 miles. I'm very pleased with it.
    I too have a history with Golfs but the last one I bought was a 5 door GTI (mk5) it’s still fast but practical and I can get the kids in easier was my only logic. Found the spec and colour I wanted too so was very happy with it and I still am! Best golf I’ve owned by a long shot

100% opposite view here

I have a 350bhp manual car, it is a total joy and nailing a good downshift with a blip of the throttle before full gas on the exit of a tight corner with the sports exhaust open is the very essence of great petrol engine car enjoyment for me.
    I literally wouldn't buy an auto car, electric car or similar because I won't get this part of motoring.
    I also have a 999cc manual car that I drive 10k miles per year, and the fun is the engagement even in this. I don't crawl through a city where an auto box would help.

I had a Golf R for the day, because the VW garage almost begged me to test drive it. It was so, so, so boring. Very fast but it was basically a dodgem car.
    I also drove an i8 recently, to see what hybrid 350bhp was like. oh, my gosh, I nearly fell asleep :), it was only the piped engine noise in the cabin that kept me awake.

For (me) this little slice of driving, the engagement is the whole deal. I'm not chasing the last 0.5secs around Portimão, where the paddle gearbox is better, I'm out for fun.
    I will buy an EV car, when the rural charging network is better and the range goes above 300miles, because petroleum fueled commuting and haulage must go on planet Earth.
    But a manual car that excites you is a rare pleasure. Not the only pleasure, but unreproducible. Go and buy a cheap Clio Sport, or a MX5 or similar and rediscover this fun (if you want)

just my opinions, no harm meant.

Thread title: What do you drive? Currently: up!GTi, Porsche 997.1 C2, wife's X3, planning on replacing the Porsche with a S1 or S2 Elise
    Last edited by The Doc; 30th July 2020 at 11:31.

Journeyman
    Picked this up this week, SOOOOOO different to what i am used to, coming from an M5

But wow, really is a great bit of kit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chriskibbledj View Post
    Picked this up this week, SOOOOOO different to what i am used to, coming from an M5

Which M5 did you get rid of?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    Which M5 did you get rid of?

2014 F10

Master
    2014 F10
    Good car but nice upgrade!

Lovely Chris but you’ll miss the sound of that M5! :)

Which engine in this one?

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

A new smart car to replace our ageing one. Have to say it’s a huge , huge improvement over the previous shape. Dual clutch , electric mirrors , heated seats , half decent media unit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    A new smart car to replace our ageing one. Have to say it’s a huge , huge improvement over the previous shape. Dual clutch , electric mirrors , heated seats , half decent media unit.
    I know the reflection in the glass but that looks like it’s already driven into the back of someone

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I know the reflection in the glass but that looks like it’s already driven into the back of someone
    My first impression also! :)
    It's the picture......

Trimis de pe al meu SM-N975F folosind Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    We love our smart 453, great laugh to drive & quick enough for what it needs to do. Parks easy at the station & means we keep our other cars for the fun / longer drives.

Wish they still hadn’t gone all EV as currently the range isn’t enough for my wife to comfortably take it to work. Fancy a test drive in one though.

After driving manual cars for almost forty years a few years back I bought an automatic that park’s itself! Why didn’t I do it sooner? Love it. Mercedes C300 coupé AMG line, Premium Plus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Gave my wife’s car a clean. I’m sure you can guess what it is - but which model (not the wife the car!).

- Martyn

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Gave my wife’s car a clean. I’m sure you can guess what it is - but which model (not the wife the car!).

- Martyn
    Slow worm?

Craftsman

Took delivery of my new company milemuncher a few weeks ago. 116d Auto Sport. I chose it as a good mid point between the plasticky-yet-BIK-friendly Toyotas, and the BIK-heavy outgoing Golf/A3.

No, it’s not RWD but it’s more spacious as a result. 2000 miles on it already so yesterday afternoon I decided to show her some TLC with a good thorough clean and wax.

Sent from my Pip-Boy 3000 MkIV

What do you drive?

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    We love our smart 453, great laugh to drive & quick enough for what it needs to do. Parks easy at the station & means we keep our other cars for the fun / longer drives.

Wish they still hadn’t gone all EV as currently the range isn’t enough for my wife to comfortably take it to work. Fancy a test drive in one though.

Turning circle is phenomenal , oddly the one before had an awful one.

Mine is used strictly for commuting too, as I’m driving more now and taking the train less i upgraded and the 453 is so much nicer to be in, drive and has far more toys than the 451.

I was at smart /Mercedes Colindale and they didn’t even have one petrol in stock / new or used . Used the sell immediately before hitting he forecourt as they’re in demand as a lot of people, me included too aren’t keen on the full electric .

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Slow worm?
    Mk 2.5 51 plate onwards with white speedo and rev counter?