timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 139 of 165 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139140141149 ... LastLast
Results 6,901 to 6,950 of 8237

Thread: What do you drive?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    With GDPR rules, is it worth blanking off the number plate anymore?
    Can people still get your address from it?
    I’m guilty of doing myself and I did it when I sold my Citigo but I didn’t really give it much thought then.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    To be honest, I just do it these days!

I would say it mitigates someone using the plate to sell a stolen car etc..

I don't know how things are in Blighty, but here in France certain naughty fellows play a game called 'doublage'. The chances of being physically stopped by the police on the highway are practically zero, but the chances of being zapped by a speed camera are extremely high, so 'doublage' involves finding an image on the internet of a similar model and colour car to yours and having some plates made with the other car's registration number. Then it's the other poor blighter who receives the speeding summons in the post. Arguing it wasn't you or your car takes a lot of time and effort, you can even pay a little extra on your car insurance to cover legal costs if such an occurrence arises. Best just to mask your registration number.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    I don't know how things are in Blighty, but here in France certain naughty fellows play a game called 'doublage'. The chances of being physically stopped by the police on the highway are practically zero, but the chances of being zapped by a speed camera are extremely high, so 'doublage' involves finding an image on the internet of a similar model and colour car to yours and having some plates made with the other car's registration number. Then it's the other poor blighter who receives the speeding summons in the post. Arguing it wasn't you or your car takes a lot of time and effort, you can even pay a little extra on your car insurance to cover legal costs if such an occurrence arises. Best just to mask your registration number.
    I must admit I've 'accidently' covered my plate when leaving a private shopping car park when I've thought I might have gone over time but you have to be careful in our nanny-state as there are some sanctimonious dolts who will try and dob you in at every opportunity.

Picked up a new car for my wife this week. We have been a one car household for the past year but the limitations were starting to grate.

I usually go for the most powerful model whenever I get a car, so when she said ‘Mini’ I immediately thought ‘thanks, we can have a JCW’. I cannot believe how much fun it is!

Journeyman
    Slight side question but does anyone recommend ceramic coating on their new car? Ppf is out of my price range so I’ll still get stone chips etc but at least washing becomes a lot easier?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeeboy View Post
    Slight side question but does anyone recommend ceramic coating on their new car? Ppf is out of my price range so I’ll still get stone chips etc but at least washing becomes a lot easier?

I've just had my new car detailed and ceramic coated so I would say it's worth it although prices can vary quite a lot. My previous car was bought secondhand but it was prepared for sale by the dealer with a ceramic coat and it really made me want to have it on the next one.

I am a real believer in ceramic coating. It makes the upkeep so much easier and stuff like bird poo, grime, grease, etc., just wipes off without any effort. Even at £500+ it's technically a good deal if you take into account just how often you have to polish and wax a car to keep it as protected over the 3 years the CC should last.

On the subject of PPF, I tried it recently and had it removed. There were so many negatives to it that I decided I would rather have the car resprayed when the time comes, than have the film on.

Journeyman
    That’s what I think… I can smart repair once when I sell the car which will be cheaper than ppf.
    Any good recommendations for ceramic near Worcester or are they much the same as they tend to use the same product..

Going back on thread I’ll put a photo up of the new X5 shortly… coming from an M5 which was too fast for the family car!

I am a covert to ceramic coating after my last car came with it. Thought it was a gimmick but it really does make upkeep a lot easier.

Craftsman
    Ceramic coating all comes down to how often you wash your car. If you don’t wash it very regularly then there is absolutely no point in my opinion. The coating will clog.

I had a previous TTS done but as I’m not a weekly washer, the benefits quickly disappeared.

As I would only wash the car once a month or so, I wouldn’t bother with 1 again. I have a good wash technique which helps to preserve the finish. I’d rather pay to have the car machine polished when it came to it if really needed.

You also need to weigh up how long you are going to keep the car for.

Any good recommendations for ceramic near Worcester or are they much the same as they tend to use the same product..
    Sorry, no specific recommendations in your area, but usually to be able to offer the pro level stuff the detailer has to be accredited by the manufacturer. The Gtechniq stuff I had done on my 911 comes with a 9 year guarantee, as opposed to the usual 2-3 for the more widely available stuff. The Gtechiq coating on my car is quite awesome, but I'm having my other car done with Carpro CQuartz Pro as the paintshop I use just got accredited to do it. I hope it's as good...

Journeyman
    Thanks all!

Craftsman
    I’ve just had my T6.1 kombi van done and must say I was mightily impressed. The guys had it for 4 days and applied with Gtechniq giving a 5 year life. I know nothing about this sort of treatment and was sceptical to say the least as it was also very expensive so hopefully I won’t be disappointed

Someone earlier mentioned that cleaning once a week was a must to keep up appearance, unfortunately that doesn’t work for me so hoping I haven’t wasted my money :(

My Aston has it (see post on previous page for pics) and it does really make the paint pop with a deep shine. I also like the fact that the paint is better protected from the elements.

I would say it is worth it if you plan on keeping the car for a good while.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    I’ve just had my T6.1 kombi van done and must say I was mightily impressed. The guys had it for 4 days and applied with Gtechniq giving a 5 year life. I know nothing about this sort of treatment and was sceptical to say the least as it was also very expensive so hopefully I won’t be disappointed

Someone earlier mentioned that cleaning once a week was a must to keep up appearance, unfortunately that doesn’t work for me so hoping I haven’t wasted my money :(
    You haven't wasted your money. Ceramic coating is basically a much more hi-tech replacement for wax, which requires a lot less maintenance, but essentially it performs the same function and when dirty the car/van will need a wash. If it gets so dirty that it needs a deep clean (when there is so much grime that the ceramic coating loses its hydrophobic qualities), good quality ceramic coating, such as you've had done, should not be damaged in a any way as it's effectively a micro layer of glass molecularly bonded to the paint. The only thing which can remove that kind of coating is sandpaper as not even T-cut or similar will be able to cut through it.

Does ceramic protect against stuff like finger nails round the handles or driving too close to hedges?

Before my ceramic coat I was paranoid about my paint. After, I was paranoid about my ceramic coat. Plus ca change!!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    You haven't wasted your money. Ceramic coating is basically a much more hi-tech replacement for wax, which requires a lot less maintenance, but essentially it performs the same function and when dirty the car/van will need a wash. If it gets so dirty that it needs a deep clean (when there is so much grime that the ceramic coating loses its hydrophobic qualities), good quality ceramic coating, such as you've had done, should not be damaged in a any way as it's effectively a micro layer of glass molecularly bonded to the paint. The only thing which can remove that kind of coating is sandpaper as not even T-cut or similar will be able to cut through it.
    Thanks adigra that's great to hear, wasn't sure if I'd been hoodwinked in to parting with a big wedge of money :)

They did give me some shampoo type wash to go over the vehicle and said it would keep it tip top, hoping when I come to clean the wheels they are easily cleaned too as I spent way over the odds on the alloys and was the main reason for 1st enquiring about ceramic coating

Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    Thanks adigra that's great to hear, wasn't sure if I'd been hoodwinked in to parting with a big wedge of money :)

They did give me some shampoo type wash to go over the vehicle and said it would keep it tip top, hoping when I come to clean the wheels they are easily cleaned too as I spent way over the odds on the alloys and was the main reason for 1st enquiring about ceramic coating
    You can normally "top up" your ceramic coat with a quick detailing style spray. Which should keep it looking its best, it is worth doing if you are keeping the car a long time as some coatings are very expensive.

I'm no polisher but ceramic really worked on my evora. Made it much easier to clean.

Was it worth £600 (inc the correction) .....ummmm not 100% convinced but it did make it much shinier.

Journeyman
    Well I’ve got mine booked in next week so let’s hope it’s well spent…

Craftsman
    Well it was 1st wash time for my van (ceramic coated 5th July). Very impressed after a snow foam and how easily it washed and came clean, also the wheels were great to clean, followed by a towel dry - If it's as easy as that in 5 years time I'll be one happy bunny :)

Think I also need to invest in a suitable brush to get in the nooks and crannies of the wheels, has anyone any suggestions for something that's suitable and safe to use

Craftsman
    Wheel Woolies.

Master
    Mine at The Motor Hub, Bibury this morning.

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyons View Post
    Wheel Woolies.
    Another thumbs up from me on these.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Another thumbs up from me on these.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyons View Post
    Wheel Woolies.
    And me, they are expensive but last years. Don't buy the fakes, false economy.

Craftsman
    Thanks guys, looks perfect wheel woolies it is

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I'll be driving this in a fortnight (if all goes well) but it won't be mine ....

Did you get to borrow this? And if so, how did you get on?
    So clever my foot fell off.

No, annoyingly it’s been replaced by this:

(Sorry, just took the picture and it’s a bit dark).
    When I say “annoyingly” I mean this one is a hoot.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master

Craftsman
    Very cool, like a mini G Wagen!

Journeyman

I went Swedish this time. I don’t regret it!! Fantastic wagon

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MalaMD View Post
    Very cool, like a mini G Wagen!
    Haha yeh sure is, ‘J Wagon’

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashman86 View Post

I went Swedish this time. I don’t regret it!! Fantastic wagon

If you have to ask why for a 69 you ain't doing it right.
    Lovely SUV tho, enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pembers View Post
    Bloody love these!

Journeyman
    Swapped my M5 for this… much more family friendly!

Pyramid? Worcester way?

Craftsman

Please let us know how the change over goes, I’ve been thinking of doing something similar (albeit from an M3) but worried I might regret it!

Journeyman
    Yup, Worcester way…
    M5 is a real fun car but it’s always 100% so actually difficult to drive smoothly when four up.. although maybe it’s my itchy right foot rather than any car issues!
    The X5 is a real beast on the motorway… a little more wayward on the country roads but then again it’s only got 250 miles under its belt so far… the V8 still has plenty of power so can push on when needed! Mpg wise… hmm I guess it will get better but currently 18! Thankfully my annual mileage has dropped from 25k to 5k so you have more fun per mile!

Quote Originally Posted by MalaMD View Post
    Please let us know how the change over goes, I’ve been thinking of doing something similar (albeit from an M3) but worried I might regret it!
    From my experience you would. If you like driving; an suv is not fun when cornering, and even less for passengers (ask my kids!). Great for wafting down a motorway though. Horses for courses but you can’t compare an M5 or 3 to an X5 IMHO. I’m in a fast estate now after a foray into SUVs and it’s much better for all of us.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    From my experience you would. If you like driving; an suv is not fun when cornering, and even less for passengers (ask my kids!). Great for wafting down a motorway though. Horses for courses but you can’t compare an M5 or 3 to an X5 IMHO. I’m in a fast estate now after a foray into SUVs and it’s much better for all of us.
    That’s what I assumed would be the case (never driven any SUV’s). The new M3 estate would be ideal when it comes out but gonna be a bit pricey!

It has been a 10 week wait for this day!

Dropped the car off at the very end of May and collected it this morning after some osmosis related bodywork repairs and, more or less, a full respray. Decided to go for a full wheel refurbishment as well, not curbed however the satin black finish was past its best, and it's now all looking shiny shiny.

The weather Gods are playing ball and I'm off to find some bends, the car and I have a lot of catching up to do.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Looks fantastic. Enjoy the drive!

Master
    Indeed that looks fantastic, never got around to owning one, but give it a few extra bends for me!

Thanks guys!

I've got a sunburnt forehead now and brake dust on the wheels ;-)

Master
    Time to bring this thread back down to Earth.
    Recently sold my 3.5T Citroen Relay and bought this for work. £1700.
    I haven’t done bangernomics for years but it seems ok so far.

Blog Entries
    2.0tdi or 1.9tdi? Manual or DSG? What the mileage? Must be fairly high to get it for £1.7k, as second hand prices have really shot up!

Interested to see how you get on as I'm contemplating a similar cheap large (diesel) estate for general load lugging and some occasional family duties.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    2.0tdi or 1.9tdi? Manual or DSG? What the mileage? Must be fairly high to get it for £1.7k, as second hand prices have really shot up!

Interested to see how you get on as I'm contemplating a similar cheap large (diesel) estate for general load lugging and some occasional family duties.
    If you are after one a mates got a cracking Mondeo mk4 sport auto at 2250, saw it on his premises today and it’s a beautiful car, message me if you want to know more

Master

What do you drive?

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post

It’s a 2.0TDi manual it’s got 150K on the clock but with full service history and I think only the one previous owner.
    It’s a 2007.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    It’s a 2.0TDi manual it’s got 150K on the clock but with full service history and I think only the one previous owner.
    It’s a 2007.
    That seems like a bargain in the current market. Hope it gives you plenty of service.