closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 141 of 165 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143151 ... LastLast
Results 7,001 to 7,050 of 8237

Thread: What do you drive?

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Sport should keep it nicely loud with the valves on the exhaust open when you are pushing on. I had a controller that also allowed you to turn off the ‘in car noise’, but actually preferred keeping it on - know lots disagree with it.

Always preferred the wider rear arches of the M3 I’ve the M4, seems a wasted opportunity for the 4 to have looked more mean.

Still think they look subtle yet aggressive on the road & when they appear in rear view mirrors. My 981 cayman doesn’t look half as angry as the BMW.

Look forward to more photos when you collect it.
    Thanks Matt and MalaMD.

I have been thinking about buying a controller so I can play around with many of the cars setting including the active noise, but then I remember, I was planning to keep the car standard and enjoy it as is The M3 looks way better than the M4, and that is still true with the new G80 pig nose cars too. I don't see the point of the M4, you lose a seat and 2 doors but it's the same car otherwise.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Thanks Matt and MalaMD.

I have been thinking about buying a controller so I can play around with many of the cars setting including the active noise, but then I remember, I was planning to keep the car standard and enjoy it as is The M3 looks way better than the M4, and that is still true with the new G80 pig nose cars too. I don't see the point of the M4, you lose a seat and 2 doors but it's the same car otherwise.
    I went BMS for my controller, plugs into the ODB port & hidden under the seat, no messing about with the connectors & controlled by the ‘computer button’ on the indicator stalk.

There is a nicer one that used the steering wheel buttons but about twice the price from memory.

Agree the 3 looks better, I just have a random issue with 4/5 door cars when a 2/3 version exists. Probably due to only being 2 of us. Rear seats on M4, F10, E60 etc only ever used for chauffeuring wife’s grandma at Xmas, so seemed daft to keep multiple seats.

We now have a 453 Smart as the ‘leave anywhere’ and a 981 cayman & boxster for the fun stuff.

If I decided I wanted to dick around with some coding I would probably just get the Bimmercode App and ODB2 dongle

https://www.bimmercode.app/

Not going to bother with the exhaust I don't think. If I don't like the sound I might consider the BMW MPE option but it's silly expensive.

Nope, I am not going to do any of that. This car is staying stock

We don't really need back doors or five seats as the kids are all young adults now, but since it looks better, the M3 was an easy choice over the M4. Even the M8 looks silly when compared to the M5, and I don't like the proportions of the M2 at all. BMW struggle to make a good-looking coupe.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    The last thing I got was a 1972 1100 Beetle. What do they say about variety?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Amazing looking thing!

I’ve wanted a McLaren for years. Been looking at them a lot lately and prices are going up. I would love a super series car but they might be a little out of my league. I will likely end up in a 570s.

How’s it been? Must be an awesome thing to whip around in.

Hopefully I can make it happen in the next 12 months.

Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post
    Amazing looking thing!

I’ve wanted a McLaren for years. Been looking at them a lot lately and prices are going up. I would love a super series car but they might be a little out of my league. I will likely end up in a 570s.

How’s it been? Must be an awesome thing to whip around in.

Hopefully I can make it happen in the next 12 months.
    Well the 650's are a bit cheaper than the 570's at the moment and don't seem to have taken the same price hike as some other Mclarens. To me, they're the sweet spot with regard to looks, performance, features and price.

This was less than half the current price of a 720 spider, the car that replaced it. I saw a podcast recently where they were saying that it's the 'forgotten supercar' and i think there's some truth in that. This car was £270k new but when McLaren brought out the 720s for similar price, the values plummetted. The 720 is a brilliant car but if the 650 isn't fast enough for you, you're a different driver to me. It's a little more 'raw' than the 720, but still very comfortable and I think will do the same job while being arguably a bit more fun. The looks are purely subjective, of course.

Master
    Yes it's a strange thing with the 570S jumping from 80k to 90k over the last few months and the 650s not really moving.

I would want something in Mclaren warranty for the first year at least. (although I know Thorney do one now)

I would love a 720S as it's such an amazing looking thing but at this sort of level and at my level of driver skill I wouldn't see the benefit of that extra bhp over a 650S I'm sure.

I think a 12C is starting to look old now but the 650S is still fresh looking and compared to its contemporary rivals looks like a bargain.

I've heard some scary-sounding bills come from superseries cars but if you end up having a different experience then let me know as I am ready to be convinced into one!

Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post
    Yes it's a strange thing with the 570S jumping from 80k to 90k over the last few months and the 650s not really moving.

I would want something in Mclaren warranty for the first year at least. (although I know Thorney do one now)

I would love a 720S as it's such an amazing looking thing but at this sort of level and at my level of driver skill I wouldn't see the benefit of that extra bhp over a 650S I'm sure.

I think a 12C is starting to look old now but the 650S is still fresh looking and compared to its contemporary rivals looks like a bargain.

I've heard some scary-sounding bills come from superseries cars but if you end up having a different experience then let me know as I am ready to be convinced into one!
    Most of the decent spec 570's seem to be over £100k now, and a lot more if you want a Spider. The 650 spiders are mainly hovvering below that mark. I think there's a risk of big bills with any of these cars, and so warranty is reassuring. A £250k car is always going to be expensive to run, and the fact its now worth less than half of that doesn't reduce the bills! From what I've heard the early 720s (2017) tend to have most issues but a lot of those will have been sorted out under warranty.

As with any car, all you can do is try to buy a good one... look for evidence that its been serviced properly, cherished, not thrashed...and then pray!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Took the McLaren out for a run Saturday and was just coming out of the garage when the postman came down the drive "Wow that looks fantastic." he says "mind if I have a look?" I say that will be fine and he walks into the garage...right past the Mclaren without giving it so much as a glance, and straight over to my 1972 Beetle. No interest in the McLaren whatsoever!
    Unfortunately I would probably do the same myself, I am on the hunt for another beetle, the only car I have ever regretted selling (and the slowest by miles!), this was it:

Craftsman
    Just bought one of these as a cheap fun runaround, its a hoot to drive

I also have an M4 Competition on order but as its already a month overdue there is some doubt I will ever see it

Quote Originally Posted by scooobydont View Post
    Unfortunately I would probably do the same myself, I am on the hunt for another beetle, the only car I have ever regretted selling (and the slowest by miles!), this was it:

Yes they're quite addictive. Mine's at post #5943

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ed#post5481623
    Last edited by Jdh1; 18th August 2021 at 14:57.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post

I also have an M4 Competition on order but as its already a month overdue there is some doubt I will ever see it
    Love that, and I’ll wager you enjoy it more than the M4. I’ve had couple of M cars but less power and a chuckable chassis wins.

Craftsman

Brilliant cars, my Dad has a white one, also 5 door. So enjoyable to drive, you can be having a right old laugh, look down and you're at sub 50. Quite refreshing! Also good on a motorway, especially for a small car - Got a long 6th gear!

I know JLR vehicles polarise opinions on here, but I’m struggling to think of a better car for family holidays. I honestly don’t know what we’d replace this Disco 4 with…so for the first time ever we paid the balloon payment and didn’t trade it in for a newer car!

Well I obviously buck the trend. More ways than one. Rolex SD 2000 my Drilled Lugholes.
    Milgauss 2014 black GV
    A few Seiko’s and a Vostok Amphibia
    And this my daily

That is most nice. Love the Series 3 door handles, guess it's ex-military given the cubby storage.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    I know JLR vehicles polarise opinions on here, but I’m struggling to think of a better car for family holidays. I honestly don’t know what we’d replace this Disco 4 with…so for the first time ever we paid the balloon payment and didn’t trade it in for a newer car!

Had three of those and now have a 5. The Disco 4's are great and for a 'do anything' car, really hard to beat.

Master
    Picked this 86 Mk2 Fiesta this weekend. What a hilarious thing. Pretty nippy, extremely loud and great old school fun.

Needs a bit of tuning to get the carbs running a bit sweeter but overall, I am very happy with it. The previous owner did a lot of work in the engine bay resulting in a bored out X flow with a lumpy kent cam, twin DCOE Webbers and all manner of goodies from Burton.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

I was seriously considering one of these to replace a 10 year old audi S3 but then we got a massive rescue dog so that put paid to that. I do really want one but can't justify 2 cars.

What do you drive?

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    That is most nice. Love the Series 3 door handles, guess it's ex-military given the cubby storage.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves
    Thanks, yeah she’s exMilitary 110 Defender FFR (Fitted for Radio) 1995 first registered 2014 M reg for 1995.
    The side lockers (cubby) hold two 20litre Jerry Cans a piece. There’s one each side.

Last edited by Yorkshiremadmick; 23rd August 2021 at 06:11.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    Picked this 86 Mk2 Fiesta this weekend. What a hilarious thing. Pretty nippy, extremely loud and great old school fun.

Needs a bit of tuning to get the carbs running a bit sweeter but overall, I am very happy with it. The previous owner did a lot of work in the engine bay resulting in a bored out X flow with a lumpy kent cam, twin DCOE Webbers and all manner of goodies from Burton.

An XR2? I loved mine, I had a 1989 F reg one. The sound was fantastic, I guess you one even more so. Rust was less fun on mine

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
    An XR2? I loved mine, I had a 1989 F reg one. The sound was fantastic, I guess you one even more so. Rust was less fun on mine

I would consider it an homage to an XR2 perhaps!

Started life as a 1 litre and has been modified to look like an XR2. There is some rust to be dealt with to be fair!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    I would consider it an homage to an XR2 perhaps!

Started life as a 1 litre and has been modified to look like an XR2. There is some rust to be dealt with to be fair!

What a thing! I had 2 XR2's A red C reg and a white F reg. No issues with the red one but the white one was a pup, never quite ran right, at one point starting it involved taking off the air filter, sticking a screwdriver in the carb to open the valve down there, crank it until flames shoot out the top of the carb and it started. Sold it eventually but it's parting shot was the front hinge on one side of the bonnet giving up the ghost as I opened it to show the prospective buyer the engine. They still bought it though.

Always fancied a MK3 RS Turbo but apparently they ran very hot and were incredibly unreliable hence the later RS1800 versions.

Craftsman
    A chap I used to work with has a modified XR2 , used to be the fastest fwd Ford in UK

Its bananas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh59...nnel=Mk1Kieran

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    I was seriously considering one of these to replace a 10 year old audi S3 but then we got a massive rescue dog so that put paid to that. I do really want one but can't justify 2 cars.
    There was an immaculate low miler at a local dealer to me recently for around £11k. I too was very tempted and thought it was great. The tiny size/boot dissuaded me on the end and it’s sold now so I’ve gone for something bigger and with more power also from VW.

Cheers
    Neil

Master
    A chap I used to work with has a modified XR2 , used to be the fastest fwd Ford in UK

Its bananas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh59...nnel=Mk1Kieran
    I think bananas is the best way to describe that!! Awesome!

Master
    My mid-life crisis car has just arrived!
    Very nice, very shiny and ferociously quick.

Cheers
    Neil

Craftsman
    Looking good, love a Golf in red.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jneds View Post
    My mid-life crisis car has just arrived!
    Very nice, very shiny and ferociously quick.

Cheers
    Neil
    I was looking at buying one a few months ago...however due to the used car market being crazy the one i wanted was getting close to 27k for a 2017 with low mileage and the extras...just madness.

Well I got fed up with the Macan S-D not providing the kind of Porsche ownership experience I thought it would, so emailed a local dealer and sold it to them.
    Not that sorry to see the back of it TBH.
    Was convinced that I'd go for a 2017/18 S5 Sportback but was then thrown a slight curveball.
    Fairly local dealer advertised a face lift A5 40 TFSI S Line, basically a pre-reg, which was 4 weeks old with 600 miles on the clock for £10k off list!
    It's a good standard spec plus optional wheels and a flat bottomed steering wheel, so that was that.
    It's quick enough, especially in Dynamic mode, and did 45mpg on a recent long run to Wales.
    Loving the virtual cockpit, the matrix LED headlights and the new touchscreen MMI works well.
    Some rushed photos.

Master
    That sat nav in front like that looks awesome!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MalaMD View Post
    Looking good, love a Golf in red.
    Thanks very much and agree about the colour and this is my 4th Tornado red Golf over the past 25 years or so (2 Mk 2 8v GTI's, a GTD and this.) It's the Mk 7.5 R 310 and I had to search for a while as I wanted a manual box and the standard 18 inch wheels due to the potholes I have to navigate nearby.

Chees
    Neil

Very nice indeed, Carl. Can you tell us a bit more about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Very nice indeed, Carl. Can you tell us a bit more about it?
    Ta Jon
    2006 Morgan Plus 4 with the Ford Duratec engine. Ive not tuned it or done anything with the engine but the car is like a little roller skate and scoots along pretty quick!

Ive made my own bits for it such as the bonnets strap, bonnets corner protectors, head rests, an aluminium glove and hat box that fits just under my legs, fire extinguisher point under passenger legs.I fitted a period style map light and I also laser cut some new tinted side windows with vents, which are useless but look cool :-) Oh and I made a 'rally timer' for it and a new gear knob etc etc.

If you're supple, have a decent back then its a great fun car to be fair. And very sociable !!

Last edited by gasgasbones; 29th August 2021 at 08:27.

Quote Originally Posted by gasgasbones View Post
    Ta Jon
    2006 Morgan Plus 4 with the Ford Duratec engine. Ive not tuned it or done anything with the engine but the car is like a little roller skate and scoots along pretty quick!

Ive made my own bits for it such as the bonnets strap, bonnets corner protectors, head rests, an aluminium glove and hat box that fits just under my legs, fire extinguisher point under passenger legs.I fitted a period style map light and I also laser cut some new tinted side windows with vents, which are useless but look cool :-) Oh and I made a 'rally timer' for it and a new gear knob etc etc.

If you're supple, have a decent back then its a great fun car to be fair. And very sociable !!

Cheers mate. It's a lovely looking thing, and the colours work so well.

Master
    Nice looking Mog. Makes me wish I hadn't sold my +4. I didn't realise how well they handled until a Morgan only trackday at Knockers where mine got a good thrashing.

A couple of my cars are on racecars direct and if they sell (or even one of them) another Mog could well be on the shopping list. Zero depreciation and ultra reliable

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jneds View Post
    Thanks very much and agree about the colour and this is my 4th Tornado red Golf over the past 25 years or so (2 Mk 2 8v GTI's, a GTD and this.) It's the Mk 7.5 R 310 and I had to search for a while as I wanted a manual box and the standard 18 inch wheels due to the potholes I have to navigate nearby.

Chees
    Neil
    That’s very nice, didn’t realise you could still get Tornado red. My first two cars were both Mk 2’s in that colour (not GTI’s unfortunately as couldn’t get insured on them!) and still think it’s the best colour for getting a really glossy shine, as your pics show!

My fun ride
    Lovely. A +4 with +8 wheels? I’ve never seen that before.

And don’t forget the most important thing about a Mog (which you probably know already): it is an open-top car, not a convertible. You should only put the roof up if the storm that you are driving in has been given a name.

Master
    Ta Jon

That's lovely, and not surprised to hear about your custom bits and bobs!

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MalaMD View Post
    That’s very nice, didn’t realise you could still get Tornado red. My first two cars were both Mk 2’s in that colour (not GTI’s unfortunately as couldn’t get insured on them!) and still think it’s the best colour for getting a really glossy shine, as your pics show!
    It was a great colour for Mk 2 Golfs though really prone to fading back then, especially on the flat panels. It sees they've solved it on the later cars thankfully.

My 1989 "small bumper" 8v

1991 big bumper "run out model".

2016 GTD

Cheers
    Neil

Master
    Through many golfs in the past I never had tornado red, but always wanted one. A mk2 GTi with the smaller bumpers would be my dream weekender. Esp 16v.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    You’re spot on about the fading, my F reg was more or less orange by the time I sold it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Through many golfs in the past I never had tornado red, but always wanted one. A mk2 GTi with the smaller bumpers would be my dream weekender. Esp 16v.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Mine as well!! Had a 8v 1987 3 door Mk 2 GTI in gunmetal grey and gave it away . Would love one again even though it would just stop when it went through a big puddle.

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    Mine as well!! Had a 8v 1987 3 door Mk 2 GTI in gunmetal grey and gave it away . Would love one again even though it would just stop when it went through a big puddle.

I had an 87 GTI 8v too, drove like a complete idiot through the 1990’s and it took it all, loved that car, I part traded for an E30 M3 which I still have, I loved the GTI and plan on having another some day..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I had an 87 GTI 8v too, drove like a complete idiot through the 1990’s and it took it all, loved that car, I part traded for an E30 M3 which I still have, I loved the GTI and plan on having another some day..
    E30 pics please!!

Craftsman

Loved my Up GTI, which, when I bought it, was the first in Scotland. Replaced it with an Abarth 595 Comp for my wife but I preferred the Up. I’m now in another first in Scotland at the moment - a Hyundai i20 N and having come out of a Type R, I can confirm the i20 is absolutely brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    E30 pics please!!

Delightful.

Reminds me of the days when I pined over a 190e Cosworth.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Scratch that... I still do!

Master
    With you there Jon, something about this era was just so perfect.

Just back from Burgundy, and I am loving this car more than ever (C63s). Great fun and practical, it made the 1500 miles effortlessly fast. It was also more economical than my mates Macan S!

It was supposed to be a bike holiday but COVID stress put paid to that, however the car made it almost as good a trip down.