closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Stripped down Omega Bond Auto off at the DLCers!

Master
    Blog Entries

Stripped down Omega Bond Auto off at the DLCers!

Stripped down Omega Bond Auto off at the DLCers! 8) :P

Grand Master

Re: Stripped down Omega Bond Auto off at the DLCers!

Quote Originally Posted by Bry1975
    Stripped down Omega Bond Auto off at the DLCers! 8) :P

Hmm! I like seeing it in bits but the fascination in bead-blasting I will never share. The contrast between brushed and polished surfaces is quite a part of the character of that watch, and I think it will end up looking very dull. But, each to his own ;).
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

I'll be interested to see the outcome of this, it's a seamaster mod i've been thinking of for a while, though not with the Bond version.

And if you don't mind me asking, why are only some of the links individually separated? Do they not all need to be separated to be DLC'd?

Master
    Blog Entries

Hi there,

The links have been broken down as much as possible I believe from the emails sent that should be adequate :) :(

And yes the parts have been beadblasted BUT you can still see the brush work through the beadblasting.

Regs

Bry

Very cool... do your customers not mind you posting their work on forums? Only ask as if it were me I'd want to do the reveal once done, not the person I paid to do it :)

Master
    Blog Entries

:D

Most don't mind but I should make the effort to always ask them prior to posting on here,. :wink:

Banned

Yey finally ! Iv always wanted to see the outcome of an Omega DLC mod.

Keep up posted PLEASSSEEE!!!

:happy2: :happy2: :happy2: :happy2:

I've just traded my SMP but this is something I did think about having done, but never had the nerve :roll:

It would be great if we could get to see it completed (if not from bry then the owner :wink: )

Quote Originally Posted by Willow
    I've just traded my SMP but this is something I did think about having done, but never had the nerve :roll:

It would be great if we could get to see it completed (if not from bry then the owner :wink: )
    I am very happy for Bry to show off the finished product should he so wish (yes...it is my watch that's being modded!)

Can't wait Bry....... :bounce:

Fantastic, can't wait to see the results of that 8)
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Master
    Blog Entries

She'll look a beauty biggest worry is the Seamaster bezels can be a sod to fit.

I cannot thank Bry enough for an amazing job. The photos really don;t do it justice, it is even prettier in the flesh!
    The wait is well worth it........Bry, I am sorry but you may end up getting more jobs after this! :D

Banned

WAOU !!

:shock:

North Londoner, exiled in Leicestershire...

Ummm... DLC? Not into modding, so don't know what this means...is it like PVD?

I'm guessing it's Diamond, and either Coating or Carbon, but can't workout the 'L'... :?: Diamond Lacquer Coating? Diamond Liquid Carbon?

Whatever, it looks very nice...

Quote Originally Posted by BigBird
    Ummm... DLC? Not into modding, so don't know what this means...is it like PVD?

I'm guessing it's Diamond, and either Coating or Carbon, but can't workout the 'L'... :?: Diamond Lacquer Coating? Diamond Liquid Carbon?

Whatever, it looks very nice...
    BigBird, DLC stands for Diamond Like Carbon. It is a little like PVD and essentially is a coating on top of the stainless steel. It is removable which is one of the reasons I went for it (in case I don't like it or I decide I want the steel finish again)!

Glad you like it!

North Londoner, exiled in Leicestershire...

DLC stands for Diamond Like Carbon
    I was close.... :shock: Thanks for filling in that knowledge gap..

The coating really does change the whole character of the watch. I do a fair bit of amateur buying and selling on the bay, and the surge of interest in PVD, or black coated watches is a relatively new phenomenon - I wonder whether it will last, or just be a phase?

I can see the appeal of the whole 'stealth look', though, and several high-end watchmakers have jumped on the bandwagon with PVD or equivalent watches and accessories. I guess a stealthy Rolex is a contradiction in terms though... 8)

Cheers
    Mike

Master

Looks good actually!

Would like to see it on a NATO as not a massive fan of SMP bracelets.

Master
    Blog Entries

Imo the case looks lovely DLC'D but I'm a fan of leather straps so would personally wear her on a padded leather strap with a DLC'D buckle.

Is there a protocol I'm missing about asking how much this sort of thing costs ...??

No one's asked yet, but I for one would love to know...

This suprised me because I like it. Not usually a fan of black steel cased watches. Agree with the nato strap suggestion as I am not fond of that bracelet style.

Fantastic result IMO it works really well :thumbup:

Guys,
    Thanks for the feedback....I have taken Bry's advice and will fit a black leather strap on it with PVD buckle. WIll post photos when that's fitted!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gregorius
    Is there a protocol I'm missing about asking how much this sort of thing costs ...??

I was quoted around £150 for a Seiko SKX007 and £450 for a big Breitling.
    I think it's too expensive for what would essentially be a "fad" for me but have to say that is the nicest SMP I have ever seen. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Mi Shu
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregorius

I was quoted around £150 for a Seiko SKX007 and £450 for a big Breitling.
    I think it's too expensive for what would essentially be a "fad" for me but have to say that is the nicest SMP I have ever seen. :)
    Shame, I think it would suit the 007, but at this price it is not really a feasible option when the watch cost slightly less...

Master
    Blog Entries

The Swiss DLC coaters are expensive along with Swiss customs. :(

As suggested by Bry, toshi leather strap fitted.....

Master

I like that! 8)

Think it would look really good on a black or grey NATO.

I cannot decide how I feel about the DLC! I would say it looks loads better on the Toshi, the DLC bracelet loses its charm. It looks pretty "special Ops" though now!

I think I love it....no ....wait.....yep I do... :?

It's a definite yes for me. Really like it. 8)

Master

Thats really 8)

I think it would look even better on one of Eddies PVD Hardware'd NATO's

Interesting result, I actually quite like the DLC look.

However, that white date wheel and poor quality bezel stand out like a sore thumb, while you were taking the time, trouble and not inconsiderable expense modding this watch, did you not think to upgrade these parts so that it looks a little more like a genuine Omega?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Meinessex

However, that white date wheel and poor quality bezel stand out like a sore thumb, while you were taking the time, trouble and not inconsiderable expense modding this watch, did you not think to upgrade these parts so that it looks a little more like a genuine Omega?
    :?

Are you saying this "project watch" is a fake Omega?

Master
    Blog Entries

I thought the bezel insert was genuine? :?

Let me just say that this is a genuine Omega with genuine parts.
    What Meinessex may not have realised is that this watch was originally the Bond SMP with the blue dial, blue bezel and white date wheel. Bry managed to source a Black genuine dial from a 2254.50.00 and I managed to get a black bezel and hands from that model.

The lume capsule is missing at the 12 o clock position as a modification but the whole watch is genuine.

Quote Originally Posted by NickyW

What Meinessex may not have realised is that this watch was originally the Bond SMP with the blue dial, blue bezel and white date wheel. Bry managed to source a Black genuine dial from a 2254.50.00 and I managed to get a black bezel and hands from that model.

The lume capsule is missing at the 12 o clock position as a modification but the whole watch is genuine.

You will have noticed that I chose my words carefully, I did not actually call the watch a fake, I had suspected that it may be a franken made from genuine parts, as the dial is clearly genuine,and the position of the HEV is correct, unlike the cheap chinese fakes, but sorry, that bezel insert is not Omega, its so chinese I can smell the soy sauce from here.

Quote Originally Posted by NickyW

You will have noticed that I chose my words carefully, I did not actually call the watch a fake, I had suspected that it may be a franken made from genuine parts, as the dial is clearly genuine,and the position of the HEV is correct, unlike the cheap chinese fakes, but sorry, that bezel insert is not Omega, its so chinese I can smell the soy sauce from here.
    Thank you for your reponse. Although China is known for making alot of fake goods, being Chinese myself, I find it offensive that you make an analogy like that.

Do you work for Omega to be such an expert on this? Bry, perhaps you may want to chip in?

Master
    Blog Entries

The Omega insert certainly felt and appeared good quality I would say it's genuine IMO but I'm not an Omega expert.

Bry

Craftsman

Looking at my 2254 I can't really see any difference to be honest - the only thing that might be different is that the markers at 5 and 10 mins do not cover the entire bezel, they stop maybe a mm away from it (as does the 15 min marker) - your 5 and 10 min markers seem to go off both sides of the bezel. I can't tell if it only looks different on yours because of the pictures though

Does that make sense? :?

Grand Master

Disagree - that white date wheel balances the marker at 9 quite well. As for the bezel, don't know enough about what OEM Omega parts looks like.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master

Nice watch, I really like the DLC finish.
    As far as the bezel insert is concerned I am sure that is an aftermarket part. In the first instance OEM inserts aren't available; only complete bezels, and, apart from the markers being slightly different the bezel 'pip' should be centered in the triangle. Generally speaking aftermarket inserts have a lume pip which sits proud of the bezel and is located too far down in the triangle. No doubt this is an aftermarket insert, but seeing that an OEM equivalent isn't available I don't see any problem. After all, the DLC finish isn't an OEM option either, so why get stressed about the use of a non-genuine part on a modded watch?

Journeyman

"So Chinese I can smell the soy from here" ...... classic, lol