closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any ideas on a new ADSL router wireless modem

Master

Any ideas on a new ADSL router wireless modem

I have just given up with my old dlink modem

I need a cheap stable wireless adsl router. i can get the netgear 834g for £35 it seems all i need, any other suggestions

Cheers

Re: Any ideas on a new ADSL router wire modem

D-Link and Linksys are good brands.

Master

In my experience Netgear are very good. I've just upgraded to a dual-band Wireless N and am very pleased with it (opening day offer at the Best Buy in Thurrock).

Journeyman

I had the netgear and it was v. reliable, and is now a good price as the 'N' rated one is available (I upgraded to the N after a lightning surge bust my old model. I didn't realise the old model was still available :(

One thing to consider is whether you're computer(s) is/are now more suited to the N model (all to do with speed I think), or maybe you think you might upgrade the computer soon. In that case, paying the extra for the N model might 'future proof' you for a while.

My N model has been fine apart from two days where it needed restarting - they were consecutive days so maybe something was going on with my PC that it didn't like.

I'm sure someone else will have a more informed opinion :)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by CliveG
    I had the netgear and it was v. reliable, and is now a good price as the 'N' rated one is available (I upgraded to the N after a lightning surge bust my old model. I didn't realise the old model was still available :(

One thing to consider is whether you're computer(s) is/are now more suited to the N model (all to do with speed I think), or maybe you think you might upgrade the computer soon. In that case, paying the extra for the N model might 'future proof' you for a while.

My N model has been fine apart from two days where it needed restarting - they were consecutive days so maybe something was going on with my PC that it didn't like.

I'm sure someone else will have a more informed opinion :)
    i cant really see any need to go for a N spec i dont transfer big files across the network or stream video and the lappy we have only has G

Re: Any ideas on a new ADSL router wireless modem

On my second netgear (834 I think), only needed a new one after a lightning strike in the street blew the old one. They're easy to set up and work well, what more can you say?
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

We use Netgear ADSL routers at work. They have been reliable and the Netgear support, when required, has been first rate.

Netgear all the way - i think ive new one knocking about the office thats going spare

I used to be a Netgear fan, but after having 3 N models and the wifi reception being very poor in my house I opted for a Belkin N1 Vision.

A bit more than your budget allows but a superb router! I stream HD video around the house without issue, and can even watch streaming football in the conservatory which was impossible with the Netgear :cry:

Craftsman

I run a Netgear DGN3500 which is N and has a gigabit switch...

however, if you dont use wireless N, and have no need for a gigabit home network, then a DG834G for £35 is about as reliable as it comes for UK ADSL ....I think there are quite a few million of them in use in the UK alone, and its the single biggest selling modem/router on the planet....kinda like the Mondeo of modem router world ;)

Belkin have a new line without antennas that look nice but I do not know how they perform. Interesting I bought an Edimax N150 ADSL router from Asda for £39 the other day and it is performing very well! Good coverage and very simple to configure (without even needing to use the CD or install anything).
    If you look at the other forums, there is always someone who is dissatisfied with their Netgears/ Belkin/ Linksys and vice versa. However the only brand that has always had glowing reports are Draytek but they are much more expensive....

Master

Thanks for the tips i went and got the Netgear setup was so much easier than my crappy old d link

Netgear wins the day :mrgreen:

My router is a Netgear 'n'. Works very well but as per the reviews its range isn't brilliant considering I don't have a huge house. No signal in the kitchen, 20' and two block walls away.

i think another factor is the card you have in the pc - i used to be able to get a weak signal from next door on my ps3 when that died and i got a slimline the signal was 100%

Master
    Billion make good routers. The one I have also has Annex M and if you need good upload speed Annex M is the way to go on DSL. Seems the implementation here is a tad different to UK in that my ISP provides ADSL 2+ with Annex M. Thus, a theoretical 24Mb/2.5Mb service. I've never seen that but have seen the router synch up at 19Mb/2.3Mb.

Craftsman

to be fair, any modern ADSL chip supports Annex M, its nothing out of the ordinary anymore, neither is ADSL2+

VDSL and ADSL on one chip is leading edge now and will be more common over the next few years as BT roll it out everywhere...then everyone will be on a "up to 40Mbps " service and average 15-20Mbps ....rather than "up to 24Mbps" and average around 10 Mbps :(

Journeyman

As has been said - Netgear all the way (look at the DG834N). I think that's what it is.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Kinky
    As has been said - Netgear all the way (look at the DG834N). I think that's what it is.
    been replaced now...I think its DGND3300 or DGN3500 now, depending if you want gig ethernet or dual radio, dual band ...both are good, thats what I use :)

...I am a bit biased though ;)