closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A pair of gold and silver Vintage Deco Girard-Perregaux's

A pair of gold and silver Vintage Deco Girard-Perregaux's

In the never ending quest that is the Vintage WIS's obsession, I have found two rather unusual pieces which I hope may be of interest.
    Loving all things Art Deco these caught my eye. As did the bakelite box which must be made of depleted uranium it's so heavy :mrgreen:

The 18K Gold GP is enamelled (is the technique 'champleve' in this instance - i'd be interested if anyone knows') in various colours and I think reflects the Egyptian influence on the Art Deco design in the 20s, though the very fine design along the sides is organic 'nouveau' in contrast to the deco theme.

The silver GP is slightly curved (like a 'curvex') in design and with fine etching geometric design although the sides of the case.

Both have the same movement and very finely worked metal dials which I need some work with a good camera to capture.

Here they are next to each other for comparison. They are much bigger than contempoary equivalents in a 'tank' style like a Rolex Prince for example, so very wearable in a modern sense size-wise.

GP have just finished restoring the silver one for me, the gold one has just been acquired and about to get the TLC. Amazingly GP have original movement parts from the 20s to replace the bits which are worn out. They also don't charge the earth and did a great job.
    GP's records between the wars are somewhat patchy and they can't find records of these so far yet confirm that they are genuine. - i'd be very very interested if any other WIS could throw light on their origin. I found the silver one in Argentina but it is a swiss made example, as is the Gold one which was located in Miami, home of deco buildings.
    At the moment the jury is out on the exact date of production but late 20s is about right.

Forgive the photos, I will do some better ones shortly.

Master
    Blog Entries

Re: A pair of gold and silver Vintage Deco Girard-Perregaux's

Liking those :P Deco styling is something i really like and appreciate. Wish these were on SC, being selfish

Quote Originally Posted by shadowman
    Liking those :P Deco styling is something i really like and appreciate. Wish these were on SC, being selfish
    Thanks. Not being selfish. I had to prise the gold one from the previous owner who was not keen to sell at all...... :)
    They won't be on SC though. But everything has a price!
    The gold version might have had celebrity ownership but I'm doing my research on that before saying anything more :read2:

Absolutely beautiful, incredible condition for their age 8)
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Master

They are stunning, thanks for posting. I particularly like the gold one with its coffin box! What style of strap do you envisage putting on it? I wouldn't want anything too fussy that might compete with the enameled pattern. Any chance of some more pics showing the movement, and a wrist shot would be nice? You are one lucky guy to have to choose between those two beauties in the morning!

Regards

tim

Both beautiful but that gold one is exquisite, I've never seen anything like it before.

I guess only a yank could afford something like that then. :lol:

Interesting to say where you picked up the silver one, a bloke I know has picked up some cracking pre war pieces in South America. They used to case up a fair bit locally then.

Keep us informed on the celebrity ownership research. :)
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by erasuretim
    They are stunning, thanks for posting. I particularly like the gold one with its coffin box! What style of strap do you envisage putting on it? I wouldn't want anything too fussy that might compete with the enameled pattern. Any chance of some more pics showing the movement, and a wrist shot would be nice? You are one lucky guy to have to choose between those two beauties in the morning!

Regards

tim
    Here are a couple more shots, with a 1966 speedmaster for size comparison.

As you can see it's quite large.

As for straps I went for semi-gloss croc on the silver one. I also sourced a NOS GP stainless buckle which I had fitted at the same time as the strap (open ended as it has solid lugs)

The gold one demands something special, shiny croc perhaps with not too much pattern but actually I'm totally open to suggestions if you have some. Even something custom made. But now it's just occurred to me that I need a gold GP buckle......the search never ends!

Movement shot to follow

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    Both beautiful but that gold one is exquisite, I've never seen anything like it before.

I guess only a yank could afford something like that then. :lol:

Interesting to say where you picked up the silver one, a bloke I know has picked up some cracking pre war pieces in South America. They used to case up a fair bit locally then.

Keep us informed on the celebrity ownership research. :)
    No I have never seen something like that either and as a GP nut I was bound to wrest it from its' owner. The enamelling must have taken considerable work, in the metal it has a lovely look to it.

Perhaps the original owner was an American film star driving an expensive open car in the 20s/30s, Gatsby-esque I imagine. Not a watch for the working man that's for sure. But I think it might have been a gift.

Yes there were indeed lots of locally produced cases in the US and South America but luckily for me I knew these were not local items, they are swiss cased, and the movement is also swiss. Most out there are not.

I thought you would appreciate a speedy for comparison purposes :mrgreen:

Master

Your new pics make the one with the enameling seem even more special! Regarding straps I would go for something completely plain with no texture, perhaps a black or blood red pigskin? If you haven't already seen them, there is a sticky for custom straps on the "Leather Rubber and Nylon" sub forum here....

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37482

The choice of finishes and colours will be bewildering. I think eBay will be your best bet for a GP buckle, but if you are going to the expense of a custom made strap [and the watch is certainly worth it!] why try to source a GP deployment clasp? Even though it would not be quite in keeping with your Deco look it will make the strap last a bit longer.

regards

tim

Two absolute stunners :love4: and the size of them is quite interesting. I would stick with black on the gold one as anything else will compete with the dial & case.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master

the style wouldn't normally be my cup of tea, but the gold one looks good. enjoy.

They really are beautiful! For some reason I can't seem to be able to wear any other shape watch face than round as they just don't suit me which is a shame as there really are some I would like to own!

Have fun with these!

Master

Wow Wee these are just absolutely gorgeous.......

Verz verz nice indeed

Andz

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master

Beautiful! The size took me totally by surprise!

Craftsman

Stunning, my very first real watch was a 14k GP tank.