closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Really stupid question

Journeyman

Really stupid question

I apologise in advance for this silly question and it's probably been asked before but it's really down to my inexperience with automatic watches.

Having never owned one I now have 3 bought in as many months and I was just questioning about the mechs and keeping them going.

Is it best to wear one a day or perhaps one a week and let the others wind down naturally or does it help to keep the wound up even if I'm not wearing them ? Maybe I'm just getting a paranoid as all the manuals state to wear them for a minimum amount of time a day.

May sound like a silly question but I just want to be able to keep them in the best condition, I've never owned 3 watches I've liked so much before and every watch before these has been a quartz.

A mate says get a watch winder but I've read other posts saying don't bother and just wind them when you wear them but I was just wondering if it did any long term harm leaving them inactive for any long periods of time. Sadly my poor Seiko diver isn't getting much wear since I bought the 2nd Oris.

Craftsman

Re: Really stupid question

From what I've read, the general consensus seems to be that a watch that isn't being worn should be wound every month or so to keep things going. If you keep it going unnecessarily, you'll just end up wearing the movement out quicker and you'll need a service sooner.

So, two Oris and a Seiko ... where are the pictures then? You post some pictures and we'll tell you how to wear them. :D

john
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    So, two Oris and a Seiko ... where are the pictures then? You post some pictures and we'll tell you how to wear them. :D

john
    I'll try and sort something out at the weekend. The other half has a nice Lumix Camera I bought her so I'll have a play at the weekend and try and get some pics up. My poor Citizen Eco-drive has been completely left alone in the corner and not worn in a couple of months. Five years service and that's what it gets for a reward

I have to say I wish I'd bought an automatic many years ago - I said the same about turntables as well. I never had this problem with the old digital watches I wore as a youngster, I just didn't care about them, they told the time and that was that.

but these are so much more different.

It does not matter. You are likely to flip them soon anyway. Just do not keep your watches on a winder.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout
    Just do not keep your watches on a winder.
    or in a fridge..! :lol: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by RobboMedic
    Just do not keep your watches on a winder.
    or in a fridge..! :lol: :lol:
    ....or on a winder in the fridge...!

Strange times
    :shock:
    :lol:

It's your choice basically.

The "anti winder at all costs" brigade are talking nonsense IMHO.

If you only owned one watch you'd wear it every day for ~12 hours. Any winder that replicates a "normal" movement pattern will be fine if that is your choice. (by normal I mean one that starts and stops and perhaps changes direction. Most winders are stopped at least 75% of the time anyway.)

If you choose to let the watch run down and wind it before you wear it that's fine too.

My personal preference is for using a winder. (with a sensible programme that just keeps the watch wound and running.)

If you ever buy a perpetual calender watch and don't plan to wear it all the time a winder is essential unless you like the reset proceedure.

In all honesty there are two schools of thought on this subject. One school says that regular re-setting of time and date on an automatic watch causes the most wear and puts the movement under the most strain. The other school says the watch will "wear out" faster if you keep it going all the time. As I said earlier your watch is designed to go for years and years 24/7. So it's totally up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by griffo
    I've never owned 3 watches I've liked so much before and every watch before these has been a quartz.
    Just imagine what a state you're going to be in when you have 10+ Automatic watches, which WILL HAPPEN if you spend too much time here?
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by aldfort

The anti-winder brigade's reasoning is beyond reproach - the more you use it, the sooner it'll go kaput :P

There was a thread about that a while back and John used some excellent metaphors to illustrate the point. I'd supply the link, but the search function seems to be b*ggered :D

Cheers

Stern

Quote Originally Posted by SternG

The anti-winder brigade's reasoning is beyond reproach - the more you use it, the sooner it'll go kaput :P

There was a thread about that a while back and John used some excellent metaphors to illustrate the point. I'd supply the link, but the search function seems to be b*ggered :D

Cheers

Stern
    Which one are you thinking about, the wife-f*cker or the rolling road? :D

john
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Your age is also a factor. If you buy enough watches you can't possibly wear them enough to wear them out before you peg it. :wink:
    F.T.F.A.

Why would you jump out of the starting blocks with an antagonistic statement like this?

Was it really neccesary (note the lack of question mark).

I stated, that I am against winders and it is your perogative to abuse..., I mean use your watches on a winder, should you so desire. But can we keep this within normal sane conversation. You know, like intelligent people :mrgreen:

I agree with those, that are of the opinion, that keeping your watches on winders will expose them to unneccesary wear.

As mentioned, this subject has been touched upon several times, but of course the search function is buXXered.

I agree with those, that are of the opinion, that keeping your watches on winders will expose them to unneccesary wear.
    I'm firmly in that camp.

I also dont like the "look at me" display aspect of winders, not does my wife. Being out on display also makes it even easier for a thief to see and then steal the watches if they break in. No need to even waste time searching.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master

You have to put the replies to this thread in context: some people won't wear 1000m divers in water and others want to keep their watches in the fridge :lol: :lol:

I suspect a normal rational person might say if you want your watches to remain wound get a watch winder, if you don't, then don't :D :D

FWIW I don't because personally I quite like the ritual of choosing my watch of the day, winding it then setting it...

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH
    You have to put the replies to this thread in context: some people won't wear 1000m divers in water and others want to keep their watches in the fridge :lol: :lol:

I suspect a normal rational person might say if you want your watches to remain wound get a watch winder, if you don't, then don't :D :D

FWIW I don't because personally I quite like the ritual of choosing my watch of the day, winding it then setting it...
    Just a quick question on this - can/should you wind an automatic watch, or should you just put it on (assuming you've left it sitting for a while and it has stopped)?

Personally I wear mine in rotation and feel that keeping them going all the time is a bit OTT to put it mildly, a good wind and wear every 6 to 8 weeks is good enough imho :)
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Master

Quote Originally Posted by 5avvy
    Just a quick question on this - can/should you wind an automatic watch, or should you just put it on (assuming you've left it sitting for a while and it has stopped)?
    Well if the search was working I could find you a thread on that with equally polarised views one way or the other :D

Personally I wind mine enough to get it going and then (assuming it's auto) let nature take its course but then that's just the way I do it, there's no real reason for it....

On a side-note, I am thinking about putting my fridge on a winder.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooster
    On a side-note, I am thinking about putting my fridge on a winder.
    Brilliant!
    :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by griffo

john
    I'll try and sort something out at the weekend. The other half has a nice Lumix Camera I bought her so I'll have a play at the weekend and try and get some pics up. My poor Citizen Eco-drive has been completely left alone in the corner and not worn in a couple of months. Five years service and that's what it gets for a reward

I have to say I wish I'd bought an automatic many years ago - I said the same about turntables as well. I never had this problem with the old digital watches I wore as a youngster, I just didn't care about them, they told the time and that was that.

but these are so much more different.

Freeze the Citizen Eco-Drive.

Master

The best way to use a winder is for a watch that you might be wearing every other day and don't want to have to reset constantly. If there's going to be a long break between wearing better off to let it wind down. The newer watches today have newer oils to allow for the constant motion and don't break down so fast. I have a feeling the metals used for movements parts have come along way as well. I'm sure Dibetu could add to that.

There are quite a few here and elsewhere that don't like to constantly unscrew a screw down crown for fear of stripping and some who say handwinding more than a couple of turns adds wear as well on an automatic watch.

I'll have to say I'm in the "it's a mechanical watch designed for continued movement" camp and there are watches older than me still ticking today that have probably seen alot more action than some of watches most here wear :bom: .

John

Journeyman

thanks for all the advice and comments - don't worry I won't be storing them in a fridge :lol:

I think my plan for now wil be to swap them weekly, giving each watch a two week break. As mentioned, if I had 10 then I would be swapping them anyway but of course I won't get that many (ahem)

Believe it or not ...

Watch Winder for Hand-Wound Watches
    http://www.grandinroad.com/jump.jsp?ite ... emID=12584

john

Journeyman

Believe it or not ...

john
    Lovely I'll get two.

At that price I could hire someone to come in and manually wind them for me.

Master

Personally I wind mine enough to get it going and then (assuming it's auto) let nature take its course but then that's just the way I do it, there's no real reason for it....
    But isn't a mechanical watch the most accurate when it is fully wound? When the mainspring is under the most tension? That's when the balance has the best/strongest swing, and therefore the best resistance to small shocks and sharp motions that throw the balance off kilter, for just a split second but of course are additive. That's why they say on purely wind-up watches to wind them up in the morning just before you start the day as that is when you are most likely to be most active (of course this was a rule before people started going to the gym after sitting behind a desk at work all day).

So, really, if you just barely get your watch running enough to go after sitting awhile, the next few hours, until the mainspring is wound somewhat, your are losing time.

Of course now we get into "how long/many shakes/tilts do you wind the automatic" to get a sufficient amount of winding... I'm pretty sure there was a long-long discussion of this about 4 years ago - probably do a search on Seiko and autowind and shakes and minimum.

Believe it or not ...

john
    So sad

If the auto watch can be manually wound ... then gently wind the crown around 5-10 times ... then set it and wear it.

Some autos' winding mechanism is too delicate for constant manual winding.

john

While we're on stupid questions, can I ask another one?

To set the time on some of my watches I turn the crown "forwards" and on others I turn it "backwards". Does it matter which way I turn?

If the watch has stopped but it is three hours fast, is it acceptable to turn the hands backwards? Sometimes this makes the second hand jump and I get a bit nervous.
    "I forget who it was that recommended men for their soul's good to do each day two things they disliked ... it is a precept that I have followed scrupulously; for every day I have got up and I have gone to bed."

Journeyman

Has far as how many “shakes” to wind an auto watch, I was always told that at 99 you must change hands :lol:

firstly appologies to the "anti winder faction" for any offence. none was intended and I did say that it was MHO that you were talking nonsense.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K

But isn't a mechanical watch the most accurate when it is fully wound? When the mainspring is under the most tension? That's when the balance has the best/strongest swing, and therefore the best resistance to small shocks and sharp motions that throw the balance off kilter, for just a split second but of course are additive. That's why they say on purely wind-up watches to wind them up in the morning just before you start the day as that is when you are most likely to be most active (of course this was a rule before people started going to the gym after sitting behind a desk at work all day).

So, really, if you just barely get your watch running enough to go after sitting awhile, the next few hours, until the mainspring is wound somewhat, your are losing time.

Of course now we get into "how long/many shakes/tilts do you wind the automatic" to get a sufficient amount of winding... I'm pretty sure there was a long-long discussion of this about 4 years ago - probably do a search on Seiko and autowind and shakes and minimum.
    I dare say you are right, but TBH it's really not even remotely on my radar of things to worry about. I tend to set my watches a minute or so fast anyway, and they get rotated pretty much daily so if they've lost a few more seconds than they need to it doesn't matter (to me at least).

This is not meant as a criticism BTW, I know other people DO care and that's entirely fair enough. Just not something I personally can muster any passion about.

:)

Master

If the auto watch can be manually wound ... then gently wind the crown around 5-10 times ... then set it and wear it.

john
    Any particular brands/models you could mention?

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER

john
    Any particular brands/models you could mention?
    Sorry I cannot remember. The subject came up before and somebody listed some movements. As I never do much manual winding to my autos I did not retain the info.

john

Quote Originally Posted by davidcbull

To set the time on some of my watches I turn the crown "forwards" and on others I turn it "backwards". Does it matter which way I turn?

If the watch has stopped but it is three hours fast, is it acceptable to turn the hands backwards? Sometimes this makes the second hand jump and I get a bit nervous.

This is from the booklet that came with my JDM 6R15B-equipped Seiko Spirit:

Caution: When setting the time, be sure to to turn back the minute hand a little behind the desired time and then advance it to the exact time
    Personally I think it's bull$h1t :D

Caution: When setting the time, be sure to to turn back the minute hand a little behind the desired time and then advance it to the exact time
    What does that mean? Always finish adjusting your watch by moving the hands forward?

So do you turn it whichever way is quickest to get to the correct time?
    "I forget who it was that recommended men for their soul's good to do each day two things they disliked ... it is a precept that I have followed scrupulously; for every day I have got up and I have gone to bed."

Master

What does that mean? Always finish adjusting your watch by moving the hands forward?

So do you turn it whichever way is quickest to get to the correct time?
    There is a little play in the gears of the hourwheel and intermediate hourwheel, I guess thats why they recommend you finish setting the time in clockwise direction since thats where it will continue to drive the wheels forward, if that makes any sense....

The finer the watch, usually the greater the precision in the minute train gears, thus less play.