closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: A classic re-issued...

  1. #1

    A classic re-issued...

    In the early 1970s, the Shanghai Watch Factory produced about 30,000 military dive watches for People's Liberation Army commanders and divers. Here's an example of one of the 24 jewel "SS4 movement" original versions from Joel Chan's wonderful Micmicmor collection (there was also a 29 jewel version):



    Since that time, these pieces have become prized by collectors of vintage Chinese watches although most (although not all) of the surviving watches are well used and in rough condition.

    Recently, the Shanghai Watch Factory produced a small run of a commemorative re-issue (evidently far less than 30,00 pieces) using a 22 jewel 2813 movement by Dixmont Guangzhou instead of one of their own movements. This actually makes sense since, according to WUS moderator Chascomm--who has an encyclopedic knowledge of these things--the 22 jewel DG is closer to either of the original 24 or 29 jewel movements than anything the Shanghai Watch Factory currently produces since the DG 2813 has "unidirectional auto-winding and centre seconds run indirectly off the 3rd wheel".

    So, after the explanation/history...here's my much-prized re-issue...and I'm thrilled because this watch was a true GRAIL for me :D






  2. #2
    Grand Master boddah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    12,813

    Re: A classic re-issued...

    Great looking piece, congrats 8)
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

  3. #3
    Grand Master Dave E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Buckingham, UK
    Posts
    16,938

    Re: A classic re-issued...

    That's rather nice, congratulations.
    Dave E

    Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

  4. #4
    Grand Master Daddelvirks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Leiden- Netherlands
    Posts
    32,140
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: A classic re-issued...

    Very noice 8)

    Cheers,

    Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

  5. #5
    Grand Master Neil.C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    SE England
    Posts
    25,439

    Re: A classic re-issued...

    The original looks very like the Seiko 62MAS of the '60's.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

    My Speedmaster website:

    http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

  6. #6
    Master simonsev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Caucasus
    Posts
    1,564

    Re: A classic re-issued...

    Like that, have just bought a 62MAS, which is sitting in Australia waiting for me to decide how to get it here, this reminds me very much of that, where can we get one of the re-issues?..........if that is not too rude a question?

  7. #7

    Re: A classic re-issued...

    Quote Originally Posted by simonsev
    Like that, have just bought a 62MAS, which is sitting in Australia waiting for me to decide how to get it here, this reminds me very much of that, where can we get one of the re-issues?..........if that is not too rude a question?
    :D Not rude at all, and I'm happy to provide anyone with details regarding these, although I don't know if any--or how many--remain available. I'll happily accept PMs and answer in the morning; it's 2 AM here and I'm headed to bed.

    Best to all, and thanks for the kind words on this recent happy find of mine!

    May you all find your grails!

  8. #8
    Grand Master abraxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    33,006

    Re: A classic re-issued...

    .
    Nice reproduction. Thanks, I enjoy your posts.

    john
    Time moves in one direction, memory in another – William Gibson

  9. #9

    Re: A classic re-issued...

    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    .
    Nice reproduction. Thanks, I enjoy your posts.

    john
    +1, it's good to read and see chinese watchmaking in a positive light

  10. #10
    Grand Master abraxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    33,006

    Re: A classic re-issued...

    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    .
    Nice reproduction. Thanks, I enjoy your posts.

    john
    +1, it's good to read and see chinese watchmaking in a positive light
    Only yesterday I was thinking, that behind all the fakes and replicas, there is still an “old watch industry” in China making efforts to survive.

    I was also looking into comparisons between the current Chinese and Russian mechanical watch industries … they way we perceive them from our European viewpoint and how they see themselves.

    What I like about the Chinese “old watch industry” is that they are not trying to sell “to us” … and that’s what makes them interesting and magical. In the same way that us Europeans became fascinated by the Seiko “Japan only” models. Now they are trying to sell “to us” with the Ananta series, they have fallen flat on their face.

    john
    Time moves in one direction, memory in another – William Gibson

  11. #11

    Re: A classic re-issued...

    I really like this. I like the oddballs of the watch world, the curiosities and the rarities. This is a watch with a heritage and design ethos all of its own. I agree that the moment they start reconfiguring their watches for European tastes then they'll have discarded the thing inherently makes them interesting. Far cooler IMO than any modern Submariner.

  12. #12

    Re: A classic re-issued...

    Indeed, does anyone know where to source this watch in particular and Chinese watches in general? I'd assume the price to quality ratio would be quite attractive. :)

  13. #13

    Re: A classic re-issued...

    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

    What I like about the Chinese “old watch industry” is that they are not trying to sell “to us” … and that’s what makes them interesting and magical. In the same way that us Europeans became fascinated by the Seiko “Japan only” models. Now they are trying to sell “to us” with the Ananta series, they have fallen flat on their face.

    john
    An excellent point John and sums up the Seiko debacle quite brilliantly.

  14. #14
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    2,004

    Re: A classic re-issued...

    Quote Originally Posted by barneygumble
    Indeed, does anyone know where to source this watch in particular and Chinese watches in general? I'd assume the price to quality ratio would be quite attractive. :)
    +1, & that re-issue is beautifully proportioned.

  15. #15

    Re: A classic re-issued...

    Thank you all for your very kind comments! :D :D :D

    My website links to many resources on Chinese watches, both current and vintage:

    http://www.rongood.net/amch/ (AMCH/PR)

    I buy most of my pieces on Taobao and instructions on how to use Taobao if you don't speak/write Chinese can be found here:

    http://www.rongood.net/amch/navigating_1.htm

    I welcome you all to look around.

    http://www.rongood.net/amch/

    best regards,

    Ron/AlbertaTime

  16. #16

    Re: A classic re-issued...

    I like it!

  17. #17
    Grand Master Carlton-Browne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Berlin, London and sometimes Dublin
    Posts
    13,626

    Re: A classic re-issued...

    Many thanks for another very informative post about an area about which most of us know very little.
    Die Zeit verwandelt uns nicht, sie entfaltet uns nur.

  18. #18
    Master simonsev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Caucasus
    Posts
    1,564

    Re: A classic re-issued...

    Many thanks for the info on how to procure the little beauty and one is winging it's way towards me as we speak.... :mrgreen:

  19. #19
    Master docrwm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Atlanta - somewhere in the Southern US
    Posts
    1,605

    Re: A classic re-issued...

    Very nice Ron. Always interested in what you find. Glad you got one of your grails, and in new condition too. You've got one of the 60s Chinese flight chrono reissues too, don't you?

  20. #20

    Re: A classic re-issued...

    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne
    Many thanks for another very informative post about an area about which most of us know very little.
    Your comment is very, very appreciated. I hope my efforts are at least a bit of a reasonable trade for all the very valuable information I receive on beautiful Swiss, German, Japanese, British and other watches I learn about on this forum.

    Quote Originally Posted by docrwm
    Very nice Ron. Always interested in what you find. Glad you got one of your grails, and in new condition too. You've got one of the 60s Chinese flight chrono reissues too, don't you?
    Yep, I do. I think it's very cool that these companies are re-issuing their own early/historic pieces so a new Chinese generation can appreciate their own horological history--but also so people in the rest of the world can learn about the early days of the Chinese watch industry, days that were hidden while China was so insular in the 50s and 60s especially.

    Quote Originally Posted by simonsev
    Many thanks for the info on how to procure the little beauty and one is winging it's way towards me as we speak.... :mrgreen:
    That brightens my day! I look forward to your photos and comments when it arrives.

    ...and just a comment on the watch, now that I've had it for a few days: it's wonderful to wear, an extremely comfortable size, the lume is certainly not luminova but it's OK, the watch keeps marvelous time (within a couple of seconds a day on the wrist) na dalthough the bracelet is light, it's very, very comfortable and has a quite secure clasp. I was thinking of swapping the bracelet for something else when I first got it but not any more--this watch stays like it is.

  21. #21
    Grand Master abraxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    33,006

    Re: A classic re-issued...

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertaTime
    .......

    Your comment is very, very appreciated. I hope my efforts are at least a bit of a reasonable trade for all the very valuable information I receive on beautiful Swiss, German, Japanese, British and other watches I learn about on this forum.


    Before we die we have to give them all a spin. Have a Cuervo y Sobrinos from Cuba. :D

    john
    Time moves in one direction, memory in another – William Gibson

  22. #22
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    hull
    Posts
    13,227

    Re: A classic re-issued...

    VERY,VERY nice! how much do these cost and are they easily available?
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertaTime
    In the early 1970s, the Shanghai Watch Factory produced about 30,000 military dive watches for People's Liberation Army commanders and divers. Here's an example of one of the 24 jewel "SS4 movement" original versions from Joel Chan's wonderful Micmicmor collection (there was also a 29 jewel version):



    Since that time, these pieces have become prized by collectors of vintage Chinese watches although most (although not all) of the surviving watches are well used and in rough condition.

    Recently, the Shanghai Watch Factory produced a small run of a commemorative re-issue (evidently far less than 30,00 pieces) using a 22 jewel 2813 movement by Dixmont Guangzhou instead of one of their own movements. This actually makes sense since, according to WUS moderator Chascomm--who has an encyclopedic knowledge of these things--the 22 jewel DG is closer to either of the original 24 or 29 jewel movements than anything the Shanghai Watch Factory currently produces since the DG 2813 has "unidirectional auto-winding and centre seconds run indirectly off the 3rd wheel".

    So, after the explanation/history...here's my much-prized re-issue...and I'm thrilled because this watch was a true GRAIL for me :D





    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information