closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: STOWA

STOWA

I saw a STOWA Fleiger in sales corner recently and spent some time on their site. The company seems to produce quality watches at great value. I'm potentially thinking of ordering a Fleiger or Marine, with a preference for the automatic and wondered if any current or previous owners would like to comment on their wares? One very positive indication was that the Jörg Schauer, responded quickly on the STOWA forum, to one of his customers with a problem.

Thanks for any insights.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Banned

Re: STOWA

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=117271&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=st owa

If Stowa is of interest, check out this recent post.

Hi. I don't want to be rude, or dampen your enthusiasm, but this type of question has been repeated about a thousand times here on the forum. Try doing a search and see what you get... :)

-flugzeit

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by flugzeit
    Hi. I don't want to be rude, or dampen your enthusiasm, but this type of question has been repeated about a thousand times here on the forum. Try doing a search and see what you get... :)

-flugzeit
    :D, I thought of typing that but was super duper helpful instead. Class flugzeit, class

Listen, you can't go wrong. I've had the MO and still have the MA. Great watch for the money, very distinctive, tried and tested by loads of us on here (we're very picky), can be dressed up or down with different straps and sell v. quickly second hand. Fill your boots matey.
    Dave

Master
    Blog Entries

I have had a Schauer watch [the sadly-discontinued SportStop] and returned it for regulation. The after-sales service was excellent - quick and fantastic comms. I'm sure you'll be happy with any of the STOWA range.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66

-flugzeit
    :D, I thought of typing that but was super duper helpful instead. Class flugzeit, class
    OK. I pulled my finger out... :)
    viewtopic.php?f=1&t=84765
    viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55816
    viewtopic.php?f=1&t=76101

-flugzeit

I've had a few Stowas, got one currently. Excellent watches, great value for money.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Any further south and i would have wet feet

I've got a Marine Auto and a Prodiver. Both excellent quality,superb to look at and just oozes class & quality.
    Buy one.

I have a Flieger Original and the quality of both the dial printing and the hands is quite something.

If you're looking at a Marine, you'd do well to check their new Soprod models with solid silver dial, coming later this year: http://www.basel2010.com/en/stowa-marin ... -datum.php

Not to mention the Stowa Chrono

cock up ...see below

I have a flieger and a Seatime, both just about perfect watches- good price, top quality and easy resale if you don't bond with it, I have also visited their new factory in the Black Forest and these guys are just super people to deal with- really give you that customer focussed feel about buying from them.
    I am sure you will not be disappointed :D

Craftsman

I've had 2- a flieger and a MO. Sold the flieger, still have the MO , both have been excellent and the quality is way way ahead of the price point.

I'd say buy in confidence.

Thanks to all for the comments and positive views on the brand.

@ Flugzeit, of course this sort of question has been asked before, and will be again, and someone somewhere will come back and repeat the line "Use the search feature." Such is life on the forums. I've been a member at TRF for three years and now just sigh when someone asks if they can wear their Rolex in the shower/hot tub or while playing golf. :lol: Nonetheless thanks for the advice.
    David

As you can see above, most are happy with STOWA service and products.

I have owned the Prodiver and until recently the Seatime (see second post).

I have at various times, has communication with STOWA and they have always been quick to answer and in a very polite tone too. Of course it helps, when one writes them in german :lol:

At one point, I had a problem with a caseback on a STOWA. At first, STOWA very politely said my claim of a faulty caseback could not be true, but as I persisted and mailed them the watch, they gave me a new caseback free of charge and an apology to boot.

STOWA makes quality products and stand behind said products in a consistent manner, which I find admirable. I would gladly deal with STOWA again.

I've had both the Stowa Marine Original and the Stowa Flieger (no-date, no-logo) and I generally agree with all that has been said above. There are few watches of this quality available at these sort of prices.

Having said that, I have flipped both watches as, in the end, they are homages (albeit extremely well executed, and with the benefit of the original company name) and somehow I just wasn't convinced by them. Its one of the few occasions where that phrase (and I am loathe to use it :roll: ) "I just didn't bond with it" captures the problem. You will notice that with the MO, in particular, people either love them, or quickly move them on. The Flieger tends to elicit comments mostly about the size/profile of the case.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go at Stowa, but I feel it wouldn't be right to not mention my experience here.

-flugzeit

Master

I think that is probably one of the disadvantages of buying online without being able to try it on in a showroom... all the pictures & recommendations in the world won't tell you.

I'm not quite sure I accept their designs are homages - unless every watch is a homage to something else - their current range tend to have an evolutionary lineage to original Stowa's - do they not?

Quote Originally Posted by langtoft lad
    I'm not quite sure I accept their designs are homages...
    The term is not intended here in a negative way, and there are not many who would regard the MO or MA as anything but homages.

-flugzeit

Master

My review from when I had a Stowa :wink: :
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...553#post161553

Master

I'm not quite sure I accept their designs are homages...
    The term is not intended here in a negative way, and there are not many who would regard the MO or MA as anything but homages.

-flugzeit
    I'm not interpreting it as negative but trying perhaps to understand the definition of "homage"?
    I've always taken it as meaning a copy of someone else's design (though not with the label/brand logo because that's a fake, and another can of worms), or better... taking inspiration from some other brand's design...

Surely, if a brand takes inspiration from an earlier model of their own range then this is a 'development' or 'evolution' of an original design?

Or am I misunderstanding your definition of "homage" ?

In respect of Stowa - I'm interested to discover if you think their designs are homages to another manufacturer (and if so who) or simply re-inventing their original.

I've always accepted that the MO is a "deck" watch, inspired from the design of Marine Chronometers and Stowa's 1930's pocket watch design...

...or have I just been suckered by the sales blurb?

Flieger is a ubiquitous design but I guess it is acknowledged Stowa was one of the original five manufacturers
    Antea - again from their 30's original?
    Divers - no idea, but I can't recall seeing anything quite like the Seatime.

Master

I had a Marine Automatic. Stowa's customer service was top notch, the watch was superb, and it actually appeared to be worth the money it cost (a rare occurence in the world of the wis).
    The only watch I genuinely regret selling, and I will replace it at some point.

In respect of Stowa - I'm interested to discover if you think their designs are homages to another manufacturer (and if so who) or simply re-inventing their original.
    No. Good question. When I say 'homage' and I am definitely referring to modern Stowa's being an homage to the earlier Stowa's.

-flugzeit

Quote Originally Posted by village
    I've got a Marine Auto and a Prodiver. Both excellent quality,superb to look at and just oozes class & quality.
    Buy one.
    +1.

I have MA and Flieger non-logo. You wont be dissapointed.

That's what I call a ringing endorsement of the brand and their watches. Now I'm going to take a little time to compose myself, in order to see whether I'd prefer a Flieger or MO and whether there may be some nice pre-owned ones out there.

Raydin - thanks also for the link to your review and flickr stream - you have a good eye for a photo.
    David

I had a Seatime:

And I have a Flieger

The thing that is great with both of these watches is the quality of manufacture. I am really impressed with the fit and finish of everything on these watches.

You really would think that they would be a lot more expensive

Mark

Sharky....that Flieger looks absolutely gorgeous. Are those hands black or blued? Is it an FO?

Craftsman

Picked up on this thread a bit late but another vote here for Stowa - currently wearing my MO (as I do most days at the office) and have a flieger date currently on order.

Got the MO from SC and like it so much that i "need" another Stowa to keep it company :D

Master

I have both the FO and MO. Great watches, elegant simplicity and a real presence on your wrist.

I've had more Stowa's than you can shake a stick at.

My advice?, go shake that stick :wink:

I usually alternate between a Flieger and a Marine Auto at work. Wearing the Marine today. Both lovely watches and to be honest I was very surprised at the quality for the money. Friends have seen them and promptly ordered Stowas too. You need to be patient though, takes a long time between ordering and delivery: 2 to 3 months is the norm.

Stowa are on my "must try" list - just got to wait for the right one to show up 2nd hand...

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jones
    Stowa are on my "must try" list - just got to wait for the right one to show up 2nd hand...
    They don't come up to often 2nd hand, which speaks volumes....

Sadly the Red 12 MO is no longer with me (damn you Andreij :x )

Quote Originally Posted by phil h
    Again, I'm not trying to denigrate the Stowa watches, but I've lost count of the number of MO's that have been flipped inside a week of the owner receiving them (FA's also for that matter).

I was disappointed, but I am well aware that others love 'em! :)

-flugzeit

Master
    Blog Entries

Again, I'm not trying to denigrate the Stowa watches, but I've lost count of the number of MO's that have been flipped inside a week of the owner receiving them (FA's also for that matter).

I was disappointed, but I am well aware that others love 'em! :)

-flugzeit
    Agreed, the white MOs do change hands fairly often, but they are an exception rather than a rule across the Stowa range. I think the white MOs get flipped as they are just too white in a world of black faced watches, this was the reason I didn't wear my MOLE I much. I find that the black faced MO seems to have a more 'full' dial, less emptiness, if that makes any sense?
    I do however disagree with the FA comment, a quick search of the SC suggests that they come up maybe once every few months, hardly above the average, especially for a watch which can't be tried on if buying new.

Agreed, the white MOs do change hands fairly often, but they are an exception rather than a rule across the Stowa range. I think the white MOs get flipped as they are just too white in a world of black faced watches, this was the reason I didn't wear my MOLE I much. I find that the black faced MO seems to have a more 'full' dial, less emptiness, if that makes any sense?
    I do however disagree with the FA comment, a quick search of the SC suggests that they come up maybe once every few months, hardly above the average, especially for a watch which can't be tried on if buying new.
    Yeah, on the MO, I guess there is something about that broad expanse of white dial. I think for me it was more about I had built up very high expectations (too high, possibly) and when the watch arrived I was expecting something more. I thought the MO was a beautiful, well finished, watch... but it was not better than the money paid. I didn't think it 'punched above its weight' in the end.

In terms of the FA, I was referring to the fact that a few get flipped because the size and profile of the case ultimately doesn't suit some people (i.e. some find it to be a tad too small and low-profile). The case on the FO is almost perfect (but these are certainly hard to come by... :wink: ) but the FA was again, for me, a disappointment in terms of the size. Compare the FA to the PRS-22. The latter 'seems' to be much larger, even though the diameter of the case is actually 0.5mm smaller.

None of this is the problem of Stowa or the watches, but rather of me. I feel that on threads like this it is helpful to post these kind of comments along with the positive ones.

-flugzeit

Have a Prodiver wearing it most every day currently. Also had a MO earlier but flipped it in favor for a Nomos Orion as I felt the MO was a bit to large for me for formal wear.
    Both is/was great value for the money and I can't recommend them enough.

Master

There's definitely something classy about them.
    Understated without trying too much.
    It's on my "must-try-at-some-point" list, but that damn list is soooo long :)

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by NickyW
    Sharky....that Flieger looks absolutely gorgeous. Are those hands black or blued? Is it an FO?
    Hi Nicky, thanks for the comments :thumbright:

The hands are blued and look awesome. TBH I am still wearing it after just over a week of ownership, which (with me anyway) must speak volumes.

I don't think it's an FO, just an F :D

Mark

Craftsman

I like Stowa...

Nice watches ,well done.
    Very easy to deal & discuss with Jorg and his wife for order or informations.

Cheers,

laurent

I wear my MO roman every day. Lovely watch for the money (even if i did buy it when the euro was at rock bottom level!)

Here is mine (before I flipped it):

As beautiful as it is, I ultimately didn't think it was as special as all the comments I had read about it. Dissenting voice (I know) but someone has to do it... :wink:

-flugzeit

Master

Very, very nice! It imparts design sensations from both ship's and railroad clocks but also those silver/white-faced Air Ministry Omegas* from WWII. But the oldies were of course tiny in comparison.

* And they were lovely: e.g. http://www.pilotswatch.nl/Pages/02.OmegaAM.htm

Cheers,
    Gert

Quote Originally Posted by birdynamnam
    I like Stowa...

Nice watches ,well done.
    Very easy to deal & discuss with Jorg and his wife for order or informations.

Cheers,

laurent

Craftsman

Lovely looking watches, I quite fancy an Antea at some point. Anyone had/have one? How do/did you rate it?

Agreed, great looking watches. Very tempted by a Flieger as my first automatic. I think the only thing that puts me off is that lack of a prominant day / date feature. I really don't like the date down at the 6 position.

Just a quick resurrection of this thread which I started a while back.

A quick thank you again to all for the excellent photos of these great looking watches. I've still not managed to land a Stowa of any description but a colleague is waiting for a Stowa Flieger, a wedding present from his new wife. His is due in from Germany, some time in April. I may be looking forward to it more than him.
    David

I have a Flieger with a B-dial and I can't say a bad word against it or Stowa. Great service, great watch. :thumbright:

I've just checked with my colleague and it's actually a Marine Original in matt black with the arabic numerals and black strap that he's awaiting. If anything that looks better to my eye than the flieger.

David

Master

Quote Originally Posted by hsukirk
    As most I rate Stowa highly and def something to try. (I've owned many & currently keep 3 & waiting for another)
    And I like Stowas and Schauers quite a lot. Scarily I have 15 of them at the moment!!

i really want one of these MO but just want to try one on. Like said before people either bond with it or not.

I have a vintage Stowa Seatime Electric.

and also was one of the lucky 80 to get a FOLE

I love them both and have no hesitation in recommending Stowa, stunning watches, superb quality and great after sales service..and also fantastic value for money.