closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: advice of patio heaters

Master

advice of patio heaters

We are considering buying a patio heater. Have never used one - just did some research and found that there are 2 main types : gas and electric. The blurbs claim all sort of things, so i am kinda confused.

Any advice/pointer on what sort/type/make to get? what should I look out for etc. Whats a good place to buy?

Ujjwal

Craftsman

Re: advice of patio heaters

Arguably 3 main types - there're also fire pits

4 main types if you include halogen :wink:

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by minimoog
    Arguably 3 main types - there're also fire pits

I'm i need of some new garden chairs for the summer and I'm liking those muchly!!!

Where did you get the photo? Do you know a stockist? Firepit's not bad either!

Gary

Are they not appalling for the environment? (not that it bothers me though..)

What about a chiminea?
    A mate of mines got one & we've spent many an evening sitting around it, beer in hand, chucking on the odd burger or banger on the grill.
    Nothing like a fire to make you feel like a big man....in a non gay way!!

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by galewis
    Where did you get the photo? Do you know a stockist? Firepit's not bad either!

Gary
    Random pic off the web - IIRC it was an American site :|

Craftsman

Buy something like a chiminea that you can burn wood in.

In my opinion gas/electric patio heaters are an environmental disgrace and should be banned outright. :x

D.

Blog Entries

Those fire pits look great, never knew about them. I'm going to get myself one instead of a patio heater this summer.
    I can be kind to the enviroment whilst getting drunk in the back garden, result :D

Journeyman

Previous owners of our house left a gas one behind when they moved out. They sound good in theory but only a matter of time before the gas canisters disappear thanks to eco regulations.

That fire pit idea is good, I hadn't seen them before and just saw a funky looking Weber (the bbq people) one at the weekend while wandering through B&Q.

My parents have a terracotta chiminea which was bought in an attempt to increase the number of nights available for al fresco dining during the Dublin summer. It's not bad but I wouldn't call it an unqualified success. It throws off quite a bit of smoke which is obviously emerging at head height rather than roof height and sometimes I find that it's either too hot to sit near or not warm enough. My father has an arrangement with a number of local shops whereby they drop off the wooden pallets that their deliveries come on and this is rapidly converted to firewood with the vast array of power tools that he collects; this at least makes it carbon neutral and of course free to run.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master

I just don't get gas patio heaters, to me its like leaving the gas oven on and the door wide open to heat up the house. Not very efficient :scratch:

Quote Originally Posted by LuBee
    I just don't get gas patio heaters
    I don't get any of them, the whole concept of trying to heat outdoors ????????

If it's not warm enough to be outside, I go indoors. :D

Apprentice
    I apologize for bump...just my experience.
    We use a chimenea (not sure how you spell it) and we have two dogs and they've never goe near it. They seriously radiate a massive amount of heat and our dogs are a bit stupid and clumsy as well and honestly don't go near it. The cat gets as close to it as he can bless him but thats just cats.

The kindling wood is cheap to buy and we burn bits from the garden, etc so its quite environmentally friendly. Not to mention yummy marshmellows.
    Also,i have four tansun algarve electric patio heaters https://patiotip.com/best-patio-heater which have not been without problems, but they have since been re-designed and i think the current design is good.

my heaters were poorly designed for the outdoors, the paint flaked off and the screws to undo the boxes to replace the lamps siezed very easily and i ended up having to drill out all of them and replace them with bolts.

the worst aspect was the cost of replacement lamps - if you buy the official philips 'gold' lamps they are around £35 if you are lucky, some places charge as much as £70. i've since found some 'red' lamps at around £7 each, they are pretty much as good.

in short - check the cost of replacement lamps before you buy - i've spent more on replacement lamps than the heaters originally cost!

Master
    Go inside or put a jumper on, patio heaters are lemming like madness.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post

+1!!

Craftsman
    The lowest carbon footprint is to use a wood pellet fired patio heater, as wood pellets are a fairly efficient delivery method for "sustainably" harvested wood. A conventional firepit and log is not. Natural gas is not a horrible choice, as its quite energy efficient. About 90 percent of propane makes it out of the production process as usable fuel, and the carbon dioxide emissions are comparatively low for the heat output.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    +1!!
    +2

You can't heat the world.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by jcm3 View Post
    The lowest carbon footprint is to use a wood pellet fired patio heater, as wood pellets are a fairly efficient delivery method for "sustainably" harvested wood. A conventional firepit and log is not. Natural gas is not a horrible choice, as its quite energy efficient. About 90 percent of propane makes it out of the production process as usable fuel, and the carbon dioxide emissions are comparatively low for the heat output.

Isn't wood pretty much carbon neutral?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Isn't wood pretty much carbon neutral?
    No, but that is the current marketing hype, also put forward by the US EPA btw.

First, it takes a lot of energy to harvest and process wood. The amount of energy required to power this shipping process can account for 25% of the total carbon emissions associated with biomass-fueled energy generation in Europe.

Second, although trees do have the ability to pull CO2 from the atmosphere and add it to their biomass, its a really slow process. It takes between 40-100 years for a managed forest to store as much carbon as a the one that is cut down. Worse, managed forests are harvested after 20 years, each tree harvested puts us further behind.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0322140915.htm

Quote Originally Posted by jcm3 View Post
    No, but that is the current marketing hype, also put forward by the US EPA btw.

First, it takes a lot of energy to harvest and process wood. The amount of energy required to power this shipping process can account for 25% of the total carbon emissions associated with biomass-fueled energy generation in Europe.

Second, although trees do have the ability to pull CO2 from the atmosphere and add it to their biomass, its a really slow process. It takes between 40-100 years for a managed forest to store as much carbon as a the one that is cut down. Worse, managed forests are harvested after 20 years, each tree harvested puts us further behind.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0322140915.htm
    I can see there's a one-off cost if natural forests are cut down for these plantations but after that if the trees are harvested every 20 years the amount of CO2 released on burning will only be that taken up in the previous 20.

They don't have to be planted in place of natural forests and of course none of this applies to burning garden logs in a fire-pit at home - I've got plenty of eucalyptus I could use.