closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Suggest a watch for me

Suggest a watch for me

Looking to pick all the fine brains on here to recommend me a holiday watch.

Ive had a look through previous posts on this and there are some great ideas but they're all very expensive.

I have a long series of trips coming up later in the year where Ill be away for almost two months at a time. I have a Stowa Flieger on order which should arrive before I go but Im reluctant to bring my nice new watch away with me when Ill be away for that long and moving around so much.

BUT the Stowa and the long travels mean there's no much spare cash around for a travel watch. So I need a cheaper alternative. My ideal watch would be:

* Not too big - up to 40mm or so.
    * Not too flashy - some of the places Ill be in wont be the greatest so I dont want to be asking for a mugging.
    * Relatively clean dial - for example, Ive had a look at the Citizen Nighthawk but I find the dial just too busy.
    * A way of keeping track of the time at home while Im away - bezel, GMT, Im not fussy.
    * And (this is where it gets difficult!) not too expensive. I could probably go up to €300 or so if a watch really took my fancy but ideally it would be a good bit less than that.

There's the challenge - if anyone has any bright ideas, they'd be much appreciated. Thanks.

Master

Re: Suggest a watch for me

A PRS 17C would fit the bill. With the ETA 251.262 it uses you can adjust the hour hand without moving the minute hand, which is handy for time zone changes. The 12 hour bezel is out of stock, however, only the 60 min version available according to the Timefactors site anyway. You could check with Eddie if you were interested.

Good value.

Journeyman

Maybe this one?

http://www.seiyajapan.com/product/S-SAR ... RB047.html

Reliable movement, and a bezel that can help you keep tack of the time at home (even if this one has the 360-bezel)

I picked this up to fulfill my "holiday watch with GMT function" duties...

And on one of Eddie's "Bond Natos with a twist"...

Comfortably under-budget for you too. :)

Journeyman

I use a Citizen BL5295-55E as my holiday watch. Seems to tick most of your boxes?

http://www.citizenshop.co.uk/bl529555e.htm

Forget the GMT - you can change the time yourself easy enough - I'd put a little more and go for the PRS3.

Alternatively - when I only had one expensive watch and was of the opinion that "god forbid" anything could happen to it (in the days before I realised that's exactly way we pay our fuppin insurance), I would buy a new swatch every time I went away and built up a nice collection to go with the photos - happy memories! Today if I felt the same I'd probably buy a Casio. As it is I usually take a couple sometimes 3 (mad I know) watches away with me and the last time I came back with an additional SD and a 2254!
    It's just a matter of time...

Casio F-91W, at £8.99 what does it matter if you lose it in the sea....

Craftsman

Its a little bigger than 40mm, but I'd recommend the Bernhardt Globemaster. Its 42 mm but it fits my 6.75 inch wrist perfectly. Just got one of them myself and I'm very pleased with it. Sapphire crystal, ETA movement with GMT function, 200m WR, Solid end link bracelet and it comes in at just under £300.

pic your choice at the Seiko 5 series and spare some money for other nice things.

rombo

Thanks lads - these are all great suggestions.

Citizen GMT Worldtimer, £119 in the UK

I know Hamilton make great GMT´s. You could buy a quartz one for under 300, i quess.

Does it have to be analogue?

A G-Shock GW-M5600 will fit all your requirements and come in well under budget. Even leaving you money to get a PRS-22 or similar as well!

G-shock. Loads of multiple timezone versions, cheap, tough, and some are great looking.
    Or Seiko Divers - Monster, SKX-007/9, there are a few to choose.
    All excellent, all well within budget.

Travel well.

Master
    Blog Entries

There is an Orient GMT on the SC at present for about £100, they are far better built than their price point IMHO, you may be surprised!.
    I will also second the comments about Hamilton, fantastic VFM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blapto
    Does it have to be analogue?

A G-Shock GW-M5600 will fit all your requirements and come in well under budget. Even leaving you money to get a PRS-22 or similar as well!

Although the implication from your wishlist is that you're after something analogue I'd second that recommendation for a GW-M5600. The Casios are well made, have world time and won't attract too much attention.