closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Camera advice/buying in Japan?

Camera advice/buying in Japan?

I might be heading to Japan soon enough and, conveniently, Im also thinking of getting myself a new camera. Ive always been used to compacts but I do like taking photos so Im thinking of maybe getting into something a bit more complicated. And no doubt expensive.

I see a lot of people on here showing off great shots of watches and things. Any of you any advice on something for a beginner? And whether its worth waiting to pick something up in Japan?

Thanks

Re: Camera advice/buying in Japan?

Cameras and lenses are a vast subject and choice depends on exactly what sort of photos you wish to produce and how you wish to display the images. I doubt if there are any better cameras available in Japan than there are in other countries and if buying abroad you will have to pay customs duty and VAT when you return to the UK (assuming you are in the UK) . If you are a beginner you might be a bit perplexed by all the modes and facilities available on a 'high end' expensive camera.

However, as you have asked, here's a suggestion for a user friendly model which would be suitable for a beginner and is expandable into a system camera and capable of professional results - and it's compact too.

Consider the Olympus Pen E-PL1 ... it's very suitable for a beginner

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10020 ... enepl1.asp
    http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/ ... l1_review/

Good luck

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

That looks great mate thanks - ticks exactly the boxes I was looking for. Now to start saving.

Glad to be of assistance ... and after you buy it and get used to using it and want to start taking watch pictures ... maybe then consider getting a macro lens to use with it.

Cheers

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Will do.

Although Ill have to save for the watches as well so it might be a while.

Good store to check out cameras in Japan are Yodabashi Camera - it is a chain of stores with lots of other gizmos (including decent watch selection :D ) andgood prices. There is a massive 9 floor store in Akihabara, Tokyo - one can easily spend half a day there :D

Thanks crazyp - Ill make sure to pay it a visit. Im really looking forward to electronics shopping in Tokyo. Lots of cool stuff we cant get here apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by JC78
    Thanks crazyp - Ill make sure to pay it a visit. Im really looking forward to electronics shopping in Tokyo. Lots of cool stuff we cant get here apparently.
    A lot of mad things in Japan with such a different culture. I personally loved my trip there 2 cracking weeks. Akihabara, the area where the big Yodabashi Camera store is, is also know as electric city. It is the place to snoop around for gadget. I think you would be surprised with how much you can get in the UK unless its stuff like Manga/Anime, the internet has helped greatly to bridge the gap - unless you want an electronic/ ass-cleaning toilet :lol:

Yodobashi or Bic Camera ( in Yurakucho, Shibuya, or Shinjuku ) would be the places to look. Shinjuku also has some good used-camera shops. The pound / yen rate is not going to be on your side though - it is getting close to half what it was 2 years ago - so don't expect a bargain. There are a few Japan-only models that never make it overseas, and those that do are often released first in Japan, but if you are tempted, check that they have an English menu option. Sony in particular, stopped English menu options on their domestic cameras a few years back - even the ones that have the same model number as the ones sold overseas.

The Olympus mentioned is very nice. Also in the the same vein, the Panasonic GF1. Either would probably be all the camera you'd ever need, and then some. You can buy sales-tax free for most items that cost over 10,000 yen ( ~75 pounds ) in many shops. Show your passport. However, sales tax ( VAT ) is only 5% so you may prefer to pay it in Japan.

Probably best to browse in Japan, buy at home.

TT