closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Kampfschwimmer / Radiomir style 40mm - does one exist

Master

Kampfschwimmer / Radiomir style 40mm - does one exist

Folks,

I have looked high and low to find someone who makes a Kampfschwimmer style watch with a 38-40mm case, but I just can't find one.

What I really want is the PRS20 but smaller - I had a PRS20LE, which was stunning, but I just could not get on with the size.

Is there one out there ? Not fussed about dial style as long as it is reasonably sterile.

Please help !

Thanks,

Pete

Master

Re: Kampfschwimmer / Radiomir style 40mm - does one exist

Ive seen the Orfina one but it a massive 50mm inc the crown!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

wouldn't vdb make you one pete? , i am sure you could fit a 6497 into a 40mm case so cant see why they couldnt

cheers
    mike

The 6497 is 36.6mm dia. and you need to allow at least 0.5mm each side for clearance and fitting, taking you to 37.6mm, leaving just 2.4mm of metal space for a 40mm case. That's only a case wall maximum thickness of 1.2mm (definitely a touch thin unless you use something very dense such as platinum) so 40mm is really tight for a 6497/8 , but 41/42mm is easily done.
    Recently did a 42mm watch around the Hamilton 921 for a customer and that's a 38mm movement, and there are inexpensive steel stock 42mm 'pilot' style cases for the Unitas that can easily be found.

Master

I was going to say I have no idea how to contact him, but I notice he has recently registered on this forum.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408
    wouldn't vdb make you one pete? , i am sure you could fit a 6497 into a 40mm case so cant see why they couldnt

Master

I must admit Geoff, I had already started looking at the "replica" sites as a way of finding a 40mm case in the right style - any suggestions for where I can find one ?

Cheers,

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD
    The 6497 is 36.6mm dia. and you need to allow at least 0.5mm each side for clearance and fitting, taking you to 37.6mm, leaving just 2.4mm of metal space for a 40mm case. That's only a case wall maximum thickness of 1.2mm (definitely a touch thin unless you use something very dense such as platinum) so 40mm is really tight for a 6497/8 , but 41/42mm is easily done.
    Recently did a 42mm watch around the Hamilton 921 for a customer and that's a 38mm movement, and there are inexpensive steel stock 42mm 'pilot' style cases for the Unitas that can easily be found.

Roland Kemner (ex Fricker) has some quality ones for under 100 euros on his ebay site or email me for his phone number if you want to talk to him.

My 1938A uses a 6497, could remember how big the case was, just looked and unfortunately it is 45mm

Master

Another option could be looking at an alternative movement such as some of the vintage and smaller Unitas like the 6325, 6425 or the AS 1330. They can still be found in NOS condition and are very hardy reliable movements perfectly suited for your needs in a 40mm Radiomir style watch.

Master

Can't see any there at the moment Geoff - will email you.

Pete

Roland Kemner (ex Fricker) has some quality ones for under 100 euros on his ebay site or email me for his phone number if you want to talk to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashharry
    My 1938A uses a 6497, could remember how big the case was, just looked and unfortunately it is 45mm

I love this watch!!

Quote Originally Posted by ptcoll
    Can't see any there at the moment Geoff - will email you.

Pete

Search item number 290410952919 :wink:

Have a look at MWR (broadarrow.net) in the PX (sales corner). There is a seller called drudy who offers a lot of 'homage' choices. Not my cup of tea, but you might find something you like. :)

Master

Yep - been in contact with him - his watches only go as small as 45mm.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK
    Have a look at MWR (broadarrow.net) in the PX (sales corner). There is a seller called drudy who offers a lot of 'homage' choices. Not my cup of tea, but you might find something you like. :)

I think the smallest radiomir case i have seen is 45mm??? is panerai not bringing out a 42 this year? if so then the homage/REP cases will follow or even precede it.

38mm :D