closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Regulation advice needed please

Master

Regulation advice needed please

After my various posts re Seamaster back from Brendan Hoey service, I feel my suspicions were correct, IT'S BLOODY WELL RUNNING SLOW AAARRRGHHHHH !!!!

Checked the last couple of days with atomic clock.org and it's 4-5s slow per day, I know not a disaster but I specifically asked for a slight daily gain. Now I know timing on the bench and on the wrist are different things entirely but jeez, what do I have to do ???

Rather than risk my sanity and send it back to Brendan, can anybody recommend anywhere I can possibly walk in, hand my watch over, maybe have a coffee and a jammy dodger, while somebody regulates my watch without insisting that it needs a service first.

Preferably in the Cheshire area ! Places offering this service seem really thin on the ground, even Watches of Switzerland in Manchester have no on-site watchmaker.

My first good watch was a 2254 Seamaster that ran +1s per day for 4 years until I bloody well sold it ! I love watches but they can drive you insane too.

Thanks in advance guys.

Nick

Re: Regulation advice needed please

Regulation varies across the 5 usual positions so a watch will be set up to get the best average across those.
    Trouble is it gives each position an equal amount of time and therefore weighting toward the mean rate, and we don't spend equal amounts of time with our wrist in each of those positions so will always get a different result when worn from that achieved on the machine. So, someone who spends significant time driving will get a different rate from someone who is just standing or walking most of the day.

Set the time in your normal fashion, wear the watch for a day and check the error. If you tell whoever adjusts the watch the amount the watch is out, fast or slow, they can quickly adjust it from that information to get it close to your wear pattern.

Good luck - now if you had a nice Omega that kept great time - why on earth did you sell - Doh!

Hope you get it sorted - I always ask for my watches to run fast if anything and have been lucky with servicing so far.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master

Omegamaniac,

I know you're right but even that one would have needed a service at some point.

Where are yours serviced ?

Master

Sorry to drag up this older thread, but I'm in the Manchester/Cheshire area and would be interested in finding a local place I can get my 2254 regulated at. It's two years old and is running out of COSC spec (-7 seconds a day).

Any suggestions?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan
    Sorry to drag up this older thread, but I'm in the Manchester/Cheshire area and would be interested in finding a local place I can get my 2254 regulated at. It's two years old and is running out of COSC spec (-7 seconds a day).

Any suggestions?
    I eventually sent mine off again to Watchworks UK who did a great job, regulated to +1s per day. Based in Bristol but they were a pleasure to deal with, cost me 35 quid.

I never found anyone in Manchester/Cheshire to do the work. Is yours still under warranty ? If it's within 2 years on the warranty card, you'll be able to send it back to Swatch UK for free treatment, will take a lot longer though.

Master

Cheers, but it's just out of warranty - by three months.

Watchworks are top of my list if my own self regulation can't cure it. Sounds like a great price too!

How long did it take to get done?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan
    Cheers, but it's just out of warranty - by three months.

Watchworks are top of my list if my own self regulation can't cure it. Sounds like a great price too!

How long did it take to get done?
    Sent mine off on the Monday, think I had it back by Friday that week. Definately recommend them, speak to Rocco.

Master

Cheers mate! I'll see how I get on with it over the next week or so, then I may well send it off...

Craftsman

You could always try the "crown up" position. :P
    I mean leaving it overnight in that position. It's probably worth checking it after a few nights to see if it's running more to your liking. Give it a chance and maybe...

The Rolex cards describe this sort of regulation in better detail to sort out any minor gain/loss. Unfortunately I no longer have a Rolex with papers. Maybe someone here could add more detail from one of their cards?

best

dg

Master

That's my plan - try some positional regulation overnight. It may also be because the previous owner hadn't used the watch for bit? Maybe it'll settle.

I've got -7 secs today with crown down overnight. Dial up and crown up are next on my list to try.....

Craftsman

Crown up offers the most gain IIRC

Master

Cheers for that, other evidence I've seen says dial up. Obviously it's individual watch dependent, but they are two most common "culprits" :lol:

Craftsman

Just found this:

Hope it helps

dg

Master

Thanks! :D

Craftsman

There's the chance that those positions are for the rolex sub movement only, and may vary with other cals/makes.
    I'm sure the principal is sound though.

dg

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

The is nothing special about Rolex movements, although the third one is dependent on the orientation of the balance spring stud relative to the crown...

Generally, laying any watch dial up will speed it up as the balance rides on the tip of one end of the staff, whereas when vertical, it rides on the sides of both staff ends; more friction.

Master

Well dial up gave a 2 second loss overnight, compared to about 3.5 seconds crown down. I'll see how it goes during today but it looks like it'll be going off for regulation...