closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Steinhart - Opinions please

Steinhart - Opinions please

I am thinking of taking the plunge and getting myself a Steinhart (Ocean or Nav B Chrono) as a weekend beater.

I know there are owners on the forum so your opinions of them would be great, especially some pics of the divers

Cheers

Re: Steinhart - Opinions please

Here's my recently acquired GMT next to my PO on a NATO that the Steinhart is now sporting

All in all a canny watch that for the money represents very good VFM.

There is a lot to like but I couldn't live with the logo. Somebody, in the 70s, used to brand their hot dog sausages like that.

As long as you are buying for the right reasons they are great VFM IMHO. If you are hoping they will be mistaken for something else down the pub then you'll only disappoint yourself. :D

I have a 47mm Nav B Uhr it is a splendid thing and cracking value for money, quality all round.

As long as you are buying for the right reasons they are great VFM IMHO. If you are hoping they will be mistaken for something else down the pub then you'll only disappoint yourself
    No, not for that, I've got a Sub ND already :) Just want to get something that will reduce the wear and tear on my better watches at weekends

Quote Originally Posted by sevvy
    As long as you are buying for the right reasons they are great VFM IMHO. If you are hoping they will be mistaken for something else down the pub then you'll only disappoint yourself
    No, not for that, I've got a Sub ND already :) Just want to get something that will reduce the wear and tear on my better watches at weekends
    Then you are buying for the right reasons - they have some super watches - go on buy one!!! :D you can always flip it if it does not live up to expectations.

I have this ltd ed (333) 47mm Steinhart:

Love it!

Love the look of these. Can't afford a Big Pilot but this looks just as good if you ask me.

I have this 44mm Automatic, nice watch for the money ;-)

I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Every Steinhart thread gets pic of a my Nav.B-UhrII (44mm). I love it and really rate Steinhart products. This is 0002 so i reckon must be the 2nd one made! Beadblasted and aged lume whilst in the possession of one GasGasBones of this parish. He sorted the distressed strap as well:

Apprentice

The Nav B Chrono II is a fine piece ...

Awesome lume too!

Master

Currently own a Vintage Red -

and have in the past owned both a GMT and a Nav-B Chrono

Top notch build quality (as you would expect from a German company :wink: ), excellent customer service, quick delivery and a excellent range of straps to order as well to change the look if you want to. What's not to like :?:

I've never owned one, but really really want one. There's a couple of sites that I really like the look of, and that I spend more time than I should browsing , and they're Steinhart and Archimede. If I had a bit more cash to splash around I'd really struggle to choose just one watch from either of them. They just seem such amazing VFM while still seeming from the photos at least to be superbly finished, and superbly proportioned. The testimony of folks who have them seems to agree :) .

Go on. You know you want to! :lol: :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrBond

Top notch build quality (as you would expect from a German company :wink: )
    I believe they are effectively a private-label brand. But that's not to say they aren't well made, which I understand they are.

Master

I Have the Ti 44mm pilot which is a great watch, the prices are very fair imo.

Love the look of Steinhart watches but never managed to own one as yet :(

Think I will keep a look out for a Nav.B-Uhr II second hand at a decent price!

The Nav-B watches are perfect, but I don't like their divers (most of them always have the blob on the glass)

Master

I've got a Sub ND already
    Surely the Sub is one of the toughest tool watches around, reknowned & praised for its ruggedness.
    Why buy a less robust watch for beater duties? :D

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus

Is this the antique version? Thanks.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by dejjl
    Yes this is the Vintage Ti version.

Quote Originally Posted by dejjl
    Yes this is the Vintage Ti version.
    I really like this watch if you ever get bored. :wink:

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125

I believe they are effectively a private-label brand. But that's not to say they aren't well made, which I understand they are.
    Actually, they are not a private label brand, even though their "sub-like" dive watches may makes them look like one. Have a closer look at the other watches they offer, such as the Marinetimer, the Aviation, the Triton and others. That is designed inhouse and the parts are exclusively produced for Steinhart. There used to be a cooperation with Debaufre in the USA, since Steinhart could not use his name in the States, but this has ended now. I am very happy with my Steinharts (not everybodys taste, I know :wink: ):

all the best

Jan

Craftsman

Must admit, I'm not quite sold on Steinhart yet. It seems odd to me that they get so much praise for customer service for a comparatively small company. For people to receive good customer service that would imply their watches were somehow defective and that suggests poor quality control.

Master

FWIW I think that the Steinhart Subs look very good indeed.

I just can't decide whether I really like the Le Mans GT or if it just looks like a kid's watch :scratch:

http://www.steinhartwatches.de/index...1&Sel_ID=22#51
    http://www.steinhartwatches.de/index...0&Sel_ID=22#50

Surely the Sub is one of the toughest tool watches around, reknowned & praised for its ruggedness.
    Why buy a less robust watch for beater duties?
    Do agree about toughness of Sub. I wear it every day almost at present, with the odd week on for my Ebel. But I just want to reduce the wear and tear, i.e. knocks and marks that I pick up, keep it better looking for longer.

Plus, its a good excuse to look at buying another watch and for a reason the wife can actually agree with :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by Rumex
    Must admit, I'm not quite sold on Steinhart yet. It seems odd to me that they get so much praise for customer service for a comparatively small company. For people to receive good customer service that would imply their watches were somehow defective and that suggests poor quality control.

When i comes to customer service, it's not always when the piece goes wrong. I e-mailed Steinhart when i first got my Nav.B and asked if they had presentation boxes and how much they were as mine had come (second hand) without one. They sent me one gratis within a week. :shock:

Master

Why buy a less robust watch for beater duties?

.......its a good excuse to look at buying another watch and for a reason the wife can actually agree with :mrgreen:
    Can't argue with that, shrewd :wink:

Apprentice

Here's my Ocean 1 Vintage Red on a maratac s-series Zulu. I am very pleased with the quality of this watch. Bracelet is solid, watch well made, love the plexiglass crystal and Steinhart was a pleasure to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by JHM

Actually, they are not a private label brand, even though their "sub-like" dive watches may makes them look like one. Have a closer look at the other watches they offer, such as the Marinetimer, the Aviation, the Triton and others. That is designed inhouse and the parts are exclusively produced for Steinhart. There used to be a cooperation with Debaufre in the USA, since Steinhart could not use his name in the States, but this has ended now. I am very happy with my Steinharts (not everybodys taste, I know :wink: ):
    The Sub-styled Steinharts/Debaufres are made by Grovana - so yes, they are private labelled watches (or at the very least, the submariner derived models are).

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by RTH
    Quote Originally Posted by JHM

The Sub-styled Steinharts/Debaufres are made by Grovana - so yes, they are private labelled watches (or at the very least, the submariner derived models are).
    Apparently not anymore. There was a thread on WUS about this, where one of the Steinhart designers said that they no longer used Grovana to make their Ocean models.

True, Steinhart doesn't but the Debaufre still come with Grovana warranty papers.......

But then anyone who doesn't have thier own factory can be labled that, does Chanel, Mont Blanc, Kobold, Bremont and others operating in the rarified luxury end get dismissed in the same way?
    Steinhart, Ocean 7, Kremke, Korsbek, Eddie, Bill Yao and a hundred others all design thier own watches and have them contracted out by "private label" manufacturers.........Steinhart may have started out with the Ocean 1 "stick my logo on the Sub", but that was only a one-off......

Craftsman

For people to receive good customer service that would imply their watches were somehow defective and that suggests poor quality control.
    :roll:

Guess you're just a "glass is half empty" kind of person then!

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by DDtB
    For people to receive good customer service that would imply their watches were somehow defective and that suggests poor quality control.
    :roll:

Guess you're just a "glass is half empty" kind of person then!
    Not really, but I do consider all the possibilities. 8)

Great idea, only a watch fan would know the difference and only a watch fan would understand the need to have a weekend beater to save wear an tear on the 'main' collection. In military terms it could be considered as a side arm....

Quote Originally Posted by aliasrichmond

But then anyone who doesn't have thier own factory can be labled that, does Chanel, Mont Blanc, Kobold, Bremont and others operating in the rarified luxury end get dismissed in the same way?
    Steinhart, Ocean 7, Kremke, Korsbek, Eddie, Bill Yao and a hundred others all design thier own watches and have them contracted out by "private label" manufacturers.........Steinhart may have started out with the Ocean 1 "stick my logo on the Sub", but that was only a one-off......
    Do some of them get dismissed in the same way? Yes, a few of them do, but most don't. The most that don't are those that are entirely up-front about it, the few that do are those that are a bit 'hazy' about it.

But note that I attached no judgement to 'private label', I just made a cautionary remark on the subject of 'top notch build quality (from a) German company'. Things aren't quite that straightforward with Steinhart.

Master

Can't really throw Mont Blanc in there as they now own Minerva and well.....

Banned

Steinhart don't appeal, but make nice watches. Bremont make their own watches and heavily modify their movements, not really a PLB then! :roll:

I asked Günter Steinhart if he had a steel case back, with the pilot engraved, for my Nav B, which had a glass back. Two days later I received a brand spanking new steel back, with engraved pilot for nothing. That´s customer service, doesn´t always have to be something that broke, or went wrong.

I have a few and the look and quality, and the price, are excellent.
    I have spoken to Günter Steinhart a few times and also received whatever I have needed, often at no extra charge.

He has a very similar attitude to Eddie as far as delivering value for money is concerned.

Highly recommended! :thumbright:

Took delivery of a "Steinhart Ocean 1 Black" yesterday and would highly recommend the watch. Sturdy and well constructed. I can fully understand why someone who owns a Rolex Submariner would want to buy a 'beater', I think I would do the same if I was in their position.

Brian